15 August 2013 - Altsplanations 7 - Sapphire

Discuss the comic here!
Your.Master
Mutters to Themself

Re: 15 August 2013 - Altsplanations 7 - Sapphire

Post by Your.Master » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:38 am

RocketScientist wrote:
dictionary wrote:Resolution : the point in a literary work at which the chief dramatic complication is worked out.
You're saying you want the comic to hurry up and end? Wow, I really don't want that.
You're misunderstanding. Let me put it like this. Imagine it's the future and Goblins has already finished, and you come up to the site for the first time and start archive-diving. Do you read at a rate of 1 comic every 5 days? Or do you go on a content binge and get a bunch at once? I know I'd do the latter. Maybe not all of it in one sitting, but I'd blow through months worth of the comic, then some months more on my next sitting. I'd very likely be through the entire thing within a week, certainly within the month.

Another thought experiment. Imagine THunt gains superpowers and now it won't kill him to update once per day with the same quality you have now. Would you do it? I think almost everybody here would. Even though the comic will end five times sooner, since, as THunt has stated, the comic's plot has already been "written".

I want to reach resolution not because I don't want there to be any more comic, but because I want to consume all of the comic. If THunt can make the comic twice as long without sacrificing story quality, then I want that. To me, the altsplanations are *mostly* not a sacrifice of story quality (IIRC there was one jokey one that fell flat with me, but not every update gets to be a winner even in a comic I really like). I don't want to sacrifice any story quality.

I'd totally give up some of the art though. It's full of interesting details, and I do appreciate it, and at times it's story-supporting, but I know it drove THunt ragged for years when he didn't control his schedule and now it's dictating a once-every-five-days update cycle. And I would rather take the content in faster.

Leahree
Remains Silent

Post by Leahree » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:14 am

Krulle wrote:Permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.com/08152013/

Wow, that's a pretty harsh "blessing" our beloved Sapphire has....
Forgetting the dead....

That explains her carefree attitude...

For your convenience:
Altsplanations sofar:
Altsplanations: Realities 53 (adventuring license necessary) and 169 (getting mad)
Altsplanations 2: Realities 214 (tentacles!) and 127
Altsplanations 3: Realities 3 (no death by decapitation) and 20
Altsplanations 4: Realities 51 (WizardMax, FemaleForgath, DumbKin) and 131 (cats!)
Altsplanations 5: Reality 98 (extreme violence warning)
Altsplanations 6: Reality 80 (Ruby) (out of archives - forward-back Kliks buttons skip this page)
Altsplanations 7: Reality 54 (Sapphire)
Ack. Thank you for the list, but the 'goblincomics.com' links bork pretty badly on my computer. As an example, "http://www.goblinscomic.com/03142013/" converts to "http://www.goblinscomic.org03142013/", which of course doesn't work. :? I'm using Firefox on Win7, if that matters at all.

Kennerly
Mutters to Themself

Post by Kennerly » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:04 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:
would this mean she could never gain any experience, since she can't remember ever killing anything?

She must also think she doesn't need to eat...never killed any mice, after all...
Kin prefers her mice still alive.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:37 pm

Kennerly wrote:
RedwoodElf wrote:
would this mean she could never gain any experience, since she can't remember ever killing anything?

She must also think she doesn't need to eat...never killed any mice, after all...
Kin prefers her mice still alive.
True, but eventually after she'd eaten them, they die, and she forgets that she ate them. Which might make her decide to eat some more, resulting in a weird sort of bulimia that produces weight gain rather than malnutrition.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Leahree wrote:
Krulle wrote:Permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.com/08152013/

Wow, that's a pretty harsh "blessing" our beloved Sapphire has....
Forgetting the dead....

That explains her carefree attitude...

For your convenience:
Altsplanations sofar:
Altsplanations: Realities 53 (adventuring license necessary) and 169 (getting mad)
Altsplanations 2: Realities 214 (tentacles!) and 127
Altsplanations 3: Realities 3 (no death by decapitation) and 20
Altsplanations 4: Realities 51 (WizardMax, FemaleForgath, DumbKin) and 131 (cats!)
Altsplanations 5: Reality 98 (extreme violence warning)
Altsplanations 6: Reality 80 (Ruby) (out of archives - forward-back Kliks buttons skip this page)
Altsplanations 7: Reality 54 (Sapphire)
Ack. Thank you for the list, but the 'goblincomics.com' links bork pretty badly on my computer. As an example, "http://www.goblinscomic.com/03142013/" converts to "http://www.goblinscomic.org03142013/", which of course doesn't work. :? I'm using Firefox on Win7, if that matters at all.
That's weird. They worked for me when I created the links..
Now, the same happens for me on Safari, iOS.... :(
Could be a problem with the phpBB software... Friday I saw an update being run (by Duke Igthorn).

Need to test links in other threads too....
► Show Spoiler
Oh jeezus, I found the issue. You even wrote it yourself. Blind me....
For some reason the .com site forwards to .org, and there the transmission goes wrong.
.com/08152013 should of course forward to .org/08152013, but it forwards to .org08152014.
So, the .com server hits the fault.
Tat should be resolved soon, if someone tells Duke or, THunt about it (Twitter, anyone?)
You can still manually add the slash, of course.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
it's fully funded, and all realistic stretch goals reached!

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:55 pm

Your.Master wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:
dictionary wrote:Resolution : the point in a literary work at which the chief dramatic complication is worked out.
You're saying you want the comic to hurry up and end? Wow, I really don't want that.
You're misunderstanding. Let me put it like this. Imagine it's the future and Goblins has already finished, and you come up to the site for the first time and start archive-diving. Do you read at a rate of 1 comic every 5 days? Or do you go on a content binge and get a bunch at once? I know I'd do the latter. Maybe not all of it in one sitting, but I'd blow through months worth of the comic, then some months more on my next sitting. I'd very likely be through the entire thing within a week, certainly within the month.
I read the archives in a couple of days. But that was way back when the current update was Fox falling off the cliff.
Your.Master wrote:Another thought experiment. Imagine THunt gains superpowers and now it won't kill him to update once per day with the same quality you have now. Would you do it? I think almost everybody here would. Even though the comic will end five times sooner, since, as THunt has stated, the comic's plot has already been "written".
Would I do what? Read them at the rate he drew them? Yeah, I would, but I'm not wanting to get to the end... well, ever. So I'm not wishing for the comic to go faster.
Your.Master wrote:I want to reach resolution not because I don't want there to be any more comic, but because I want to consume all of the comic. If THunt can make the comic twice as long without sacrificing story quality, then I want that. To me, the altsplanations are *mostly* not a sacrifice of story quality (IIRC there was one jokey one that fell flat with me, but not every update gets to be a winner even in a comic I really like). I don't want to sacrifice any story quality.

I'd totally give up some of the art though. It's full of interesting details, and I do appreciate it, and at times it's story-supporting, but I know it drove THunt ragged for years when he didn't control his schedule and now it's dictating a once-every-five-days update cycle. And I would rather take the content in faster.
Ah, ok. I like the art. And I definitely don't want him to do less than his best work just for speed's sake.

Your.Master
Mutters to Themself

Post by Your.Master » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:23 am

Would I do what? Read them at the rate he drew them? Yeah, I would, but I'm not wanting to get to the end... well, ever. So I'm not wishing for the comic to go faster.
That's what I'm saying. I don't want it to end, but I want to consume it faster. A side effect of consuming it faster will be that it ends faster.

I want to know how it ends, and I don't want it to end. A delightful little paradox.

To put it into perspective, I read books quite quickly, and generally avoid getting into a big series before it's almost done. I try the same thing with most TV series' that have an overarching plot. But I prefer really long books that are part of a long books series because if I like it, I won't want it to end either. Yet I'll want to know how it ends. Delightful little contradictions.
Ah, ok. I like the art.
And I do like the art too. It's just if I had to rank what I like, well, I like the writing part more than the art part and I'd nudge the magic slider over that way a bit if I had my druthers. But that's okay, this is still my current favourite webcomic despite not being *quite* tailor-made to exactly my specifications instead of anybody else's :).

Also part of my thinking is, say Goblins ends in 5 years. My guess is that Tarol doesn't just quit drawing comics forever at that point. I imagine he'll probably make a new thing and I'll probably like that new thing, so the end of a story can mark the beginning of another.

Maybe it actually takes 30 years to end goblins and Tarol will want to retire, I don't know. Or maybe Goblins ends in 5 years and Tarol decides he wants to change his life's direction and become an actuary. Betting against that since I think he's really into being a webcomic artist.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Your.Master wrote:To put it into perspective, I read books quite quickly, and generally avoid getting into a big series before it's almost done. I try the same thing with most TV series' that have an overarching plot.
TV series are different, though, in they could get cancelled. For example, I don't watch anything on FOX until it's in at least its 3rd year (or over). Why? Firefly, Dollhouse, Alien Nation, Sarah Connor Chronicles... If it's only getting one or two seasons, I'd like to know that going into it. OTOH, I guess I do know that going into it. But I'm still mad when it's new.
Your.Master wrote:And I do like the art too. It's just if I had to rank what I like, well, I like the writing part more than the art part and I'd nudge the magic slider over that way a bit if I had my druthers.
OK.

ContinualKarma
Remains Silent
UStream Username: ContinualKarma

Post by ContinualKarma » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:27 pm

I know that no one has replied to this post in a while, but since I don't want to make a new post for this... I wonder if Sapphire will be confused about who her Forgath and Minmax are when the Maze of Many gets reset with all of her knowledge still intact. Will she immediately attack them not knowing that they came in with her or will she suddenly remember them upon the reset? This would really throw a wrench in the other Kins' plans if she remembered them and maybe decides she doesn't wish to be with Ruby and Onyx after all.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:47 am

They would retroactively no longer have died, so presumably she'd remember them. Remember, the Maze is a time loop; when it resets, the previous future no longer happened (Machine adjustments and Oblivion Holes aside).
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:21 am

But will she remember them dying in the previous run or ill it be a where did you guys go...

It seems her sanity, in the long run, is questionable. With her intelligence she will eventually figure it out.