15 August 2013 - Altsplanations 7 - Sapphire

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

15 August 2013 - Altsplanations 7 - Sapphire

Post by Krulle » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.com/08152013/

Wow, that's a pretty harsh "blessing" our beloved Sapphire has....
Forgetting the dead....

That explains her carefree attitude...

For your convenience:
Altsplanations sofar:
Altsplanations: Realities 53 (adventuring license necessary) and 169 (getting mad)
Altsplanations 2: Realities 214 (tentacles!) and 127
Altsplanations 3: Realities 3 (no death by decapitation) and 20
Altsplanations 4: Realities 51 (WizardMax, FemaleForgath, DumbKin) and 131 (cats!)
Altsplanations 5: Reality 98 (extreme violence warning)
Altsplanations 6: Reality 80 (Ruby) (out of archives - forward-back Kliks buttons skip this page) edit: link corrected)
Altsplanations 7: Reality 54 (Sapphire)

The list of FMK alternatives: http://duke.a-comics.ru/fmk/, maintained by SpeaksWithMistakes

Side Question:
Now that I reread the Altsplanations, Altsplanation 3 for Reality 20 refers to a coming "Goblins Omnibus" coming soon with Bonus material, from BlindFerret.... Will that still be published by BlindFerret or will THunt look for a new publisher?
Last edited by Krulle on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
it's fully funded, and all realistic stretch goals reached!

boneguard
Of Few Words

Altsplenation 7 (Aug 15th, 2013)

Post by boneguard » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:05 pm

Interesting way of dealing with grief
Last edited by LAYF on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged with first Topic
You can keep your precious reality, I got a kingdom to save from a horde of savage orcs and then go and do this wetjob for Mr. Johnson.

mortissimus
Speaks Quietly

Re: Altsplenation 7 (Aug 15th, 2013)

Post by mortissimus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Yes, very functional in a utilitarian fashion.

Alarikun
Of Few Words

Re: 15 August 2013 - Altsplanations 7 - Sapphire

Post by Alarikun » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:20 pm

While I certainly enjoyed the explanation (And it is a VERY interesting one), I am sad that there wasn't a true update today. :(

RJJ7
Of Few Words

Post by RJJ7 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Well, I think that this confirms that Sapphire isn't going to be an important character (unless it's in an unimportant way, like Hawl). Otherwise, this much background information would be tantamount to cheating. From an authorial standpoint, that is.
If a collection of unpronounceable letters doesn't appeal to you, you may call me Randy.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:35 pm

Alarikun wrote:While I certainly enjoyed the explanation (And it is a VERY interesting one), I am sad that there wasn't a true update today. :(
Next update will be an Altsplanation too.
Thunt told us so.... (http://www.goblinscomic.com/gencon/)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
it's fully funded, and all realistic stretch goals reached!

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:36 pm

This is a sad update, but not all of them can be happy endings. Twitter reveals the next update is also going to be an altsplanation. Probably Onyx, if Sapphire is any indication.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Alarikun
Of Few Words

Post by Alarikun » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Krulle wrote:
Alarikun wrote:While I certainly enjoyed the explanation (And it is a VERY interesting one), I am sad that there wasn't a true update today. :(
Well, that's what I get for not reading those things...

Saddens me, but I guess it's for the best.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:48 pm

...Damn. Can't Thunt write any optimistic, cheerful, or hell, happy characters without giving them some terrible secret or breaking them into tiny bits later? Hell, even Joss had Kaylee! Granted, something horrible probably would have happened to her if the show wasn't cancelled...
Last edited by Glemp on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:48 pm

By the gods, that's depressing. I wonder if our group will mention that we saw her Minmax and Forgath.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:50 pm

That's a very intriguing back-story. She obviously doesn't know what her tattoo does, and the only others who know what it does are now dead. I guess Ruby and Onyx could figure it out?
I don't think our group saw her Minmax and Forgath - I think that was a view of another part of the MoM. Our FMK were in the room that made gargatuan fascimiles around that time.

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:09 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:That's a very intriguing back-story. She obviously doesn't know what her tattoo does, and the only others who know what it does are now dead. I guess Ruby and Onyx could figure it out?
I'm sure by now Ruby and Onyx know WHAT the nature of her cure/blessing/curse is, and have probably compared it to the effect of the oblivion holes in private conversation, but they may not know it's the tattoo that does it, unless they are familiar with that order of clerics and can read the runes.

It's about to start a humorous conversation when one of FMK mentions PsiMax in a way Sapphire has to respond to, probably with Ruby and Onyx trying to in-obviously indicate she needs to be treated like she's 'handicapped'.

I note THunt doesn't explicitly state her Dellyn is dead. She MIGHT remember him, if not exactly what he forced her to do. Otherwise, I wonder if she wonders why she's wearing a cursed collar.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Hmn...yeah, so talking about Psimax's death is really going to confuse her.

would this mean she could never gain any experience, since she can't remember ever killing anything?

She must also think she doesn't need to eat...never killed any mice, after all...

Maybe someone could alter the second sigil to read "Deaths" instead of "Dead", so she could remember her friends, just not their deaths.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:59 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:That's a very intriguing back-story. She obviously doesn't know what her tattoo does, and the only others who know what it does are now dead. I guess Ruby and Onyx could figure it out?
I don't think our group saw her Minmax and Forgath - I think that was a view of another part of the MoM. Our FMK were in the room that made gargatuan fascimiles around that time.
Oh, really? I didn't remember that. Not sure if it's good or bad that we didn't see them. Hmm.

Zombies must be really confusing to her. Actually, this whole place must be confusing to her. Does she think it's just littered with dead bodies? :?

CheeseToastofDeath
Wins a Fan Art Contest
UStream Username: CheeseToastofDeath

Post by CheeseToastofDeath » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Okay, so both Ruby and Sapphire are disasters waiting to happen. The only thing that makes me suspect Onyx to be anything different is that, with her gothy, spooky appearance, a tragic past is too obvious, and she's probably the most well adjusted of the lot.
It'll be more surprising if conflict doesn't happen, given this powder-keg of personalities.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:23 pm

RocketScientist wrote:By the gods, that's depressing. I wonder if our group will mention that we saw her Minmax and Forgath.
We did, but they didn't. Anyway, Altsplanation stuff shouldn't cross over with the storyline considering Thunt only puts it in a filler background material. Don't get me wrong, it's good filler background material, but if it isn't brought up in the story it probably won't be addressed there either.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Altsplanations do kind of cross over into the main comic. Although we didn't need to know how the Kin with all the heads grafted on to her could exist, Altsplanation 3 of Reality 3 gives details of how the monstrousity is possible.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:31 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:That's a very intriguing back-story. She obviously doesn't know what her tattoo does, and the only others who know what it does are now dead.
Now we just need Captain Kirk Minmax to ask her where she got her tattoo, thereby making her explode.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

bobagorof
Remains Silent

Post by bobagorof » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:46 pm

RocketScientist wrote: Zombies must be really confusing to her. Actually, this whole place must be confusing to her. Does she think it's just littered with dead bodies? :?
I just logged on to make the same point. Thank goodness (for her) that she had the other Kins with her when the zombie alts came around the corner, because it sounds like she'd forget they were there.

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Krulle wrote:
:wall:

Meh , next time ...

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:48 pm

That is a really sad backstory. What was her Forgarth thinking?.

Also, she would be damned horrible to fight alongside, scary horrible for someone from a culture that valued burial rituals.

Every time she reassured you that, "If you fall, I will see you properly sent off" you would feel sick inside.

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:03 pm

Krulle wrote:
Count me among those who think that these Altsplanations, along with the histories of past holders of the Axe of Prissan and other walls-of-backstory, are almost as good as having no update.
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

Tarnagh
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Tarnagh » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:15 pm

I came to the page excited for an update after the ending of the last installment.

I immediately said "Oh, come ON!" in disappointment when I saw it was an altsplanation instead of a continuance of the last piece.

Then I read it. And now I has a very large sad. :(

Your.Master
Mutters to Themself

Post by Your.Master » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:38 pm

I'm pretty happy with altsplanations.

I may be in the minority here, but I'd trade off some of the art quality for words and a quicker resolution on the main plot.

Of course, I'd kind of most prefer to have a new entire goblins book every day. I understand that's not happening.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:20 pm

dictionary wrote:Resolution : the point in a literary work at which the chief dramatic complication is worked out.
You're saying you want the comic to hurry up and end? Wow, I really don't want that.