04 September 2013: Two...

Discuss the comic here!
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

04 September 2013: Two...

Post by LAYF » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:46 pm

perm http://www.goblinscomic.org/09042013/

And yes... auch...

I mean, damn...

[mod="LooksAtYouFunny"]Merged all 3 topics on the same, the order they are in is the order they were submitted to the forum![/mod]
-Best regards LAYF

The Rotting King
Mutters to Themself

4 September 2013: Different.

Post by The Rotting King » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Whoah.

Edit: Holy crap it was down to the minute.
Last edited by The Rotting King on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

September 4, 2013: "Yes, we are different."

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Punch to the gut there, Ruby. I said "Ouch!" out loud when I saw that.

I'm half expecting Ruby to grab the leash and go "Kill the human and the dwarf and join us."

Anyone else getting a "Ruby causes Kin's death, which causes Minmax to go berserk on her" vibe?

Edited to fix the date in the topic. Heh. :oops:
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Re: 04 Sep 2013 Two...

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:55 pm

LOL - I was sitting here refreshing the page repeatedly to get the update - I thought for sure I'd be the first to go to the forum and comment on it. Yay, I thought, I will get to make the new thread. And what do I find? Not one, but THREE new threads for the update already here. Man you guys are so soooo much faster than me :)

And for the record I was going to call the thread "Kin-flict" ;)
All hail the power of the stick!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: September 4, 2013: "Yes, we are different."

Post by LAYF » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:-SNIP-
Anyone else getting a "Ruby causes Kin's death, which causes Minmax to go berserk on her" vibe?
-SNIP-
I'm getting an "Ruby uses the leach to control Kin, Onyx and Sapphire goes baserk on her along with MM and Forgath"
-Best regards LAYF

catchesafish
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: 04 September 2013: Two...

Post by catchesafish » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:56 pm

So not fair. Poor Kin; that had to have been quite the emotional blow. I feel so bad for her in the last panel...

The Rotting King
Mutters to Themself

Post by The Rotting King » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:56 pm

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:And for the record I was going to call the thread "Kin-flict" ;)
...You shall pay for such mind-twisting puns with your SOUL.

Earthen
Pipes Up Sometimes
UStream Username: Earthen_

Post by Earthen » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:57 pm

I can't envision Minmax saying "Remember me?" to Ruby as he draws his sword, though.

Kin looks so deflated in the last panel; I hope she thinks of a good rebuttal for Ruby. They are certainly made of different material.
We're all mad here.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:59 pm

Leading into "When the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate"...

That last panel is heartwrenching. Kin will have a beautiful answer for Ruby on the next page, though. Right? Right??

Daughter Of Yahweh
Whispers Softly

Post by Daughter Of Yahweh » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Crap! That's what I get for spending twenty minutes making my "Update's up!" topic. Here's what I wrote before I deleted the topic.

That was one killer last line. "You wear two." I'd like to argue against it, based on a definition of a collar.

A collar is something associated with bondage and unwilling subjugation. You do not choose to wear it. Since Kin chose to wear the necklace Minmax gave her, it is not a collar. But an interesting thing that Ruby said was that they're wearing collars that "control [our] actions." Ruby's declaring that willingly worn or not, Kin's necklace is definitely affecting her actions. It means something to her, it is a sign that she can trust Minmax and therefore continue her relationship with him.

True. But it's unfair for Ruby to scorn Kin's psychology, make it look weak compared to hers. The truth is both Kins are contesting their individual sources of pride and confidence. Which Kin can be prouder in her own way? Which is truly strongest?

That's my two bits.
Last edited by Daughter Of Yahweh on Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Now, Now...Ruby should know that Love Is Not A Weakness...her argument didn't work for the Cybermen, either!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Mithcoriel
Mutters to Themself

Post by Mithcoriel » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:01 pm

No way Ruby is gonna use the leash. That would be like raping her alter-ego. She knows how it feels.

Earthen
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Earthen » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Mithcoriel wrote:No way Ruby is gonna use the leash. That would be like raping her alter-ego. She knows how it feels.
I hope you're right, but Kin really needs to wrap that thing around her arm instead of letting it dangle freely.
We're all mad here.

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:08 pm

I hope you are right Mithcoriel, although I can almost see Ruby rationalising it to herself as "it's for her own good"

The Rotting King
Mutters to Themself

Post by The Rotting King » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:I hope you are right Mithcoriel, although I can almost see Ruby rationalising it to herself as "it's for her own good"
If that's what ends up happening... damn. That'd be hardcore.

BreaksGlasses
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by BreaksGlasses » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:18 pm

That last panel, poor Kin :(
I really would like to dislike Ruby right now, but I keep remembering the Altsplanation and how the Minmax and Forgath of that reality were a-ok with her situation.
And I don't think Ruby would use Kin's magical leash, that would be going too far.

Moroser
Of Few Words

Post by Moroser » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:20 pm

I'd say it's Ruby wearing two collars.
Unlucky-for-Some wrote:I hope you are right Mithcoriel, although I can almost see Ruby rationalising it to herself as "it's for her own good"
An image of this outcome is so realistic, that I'm really worried about our Kin now(((

Earthen
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Earthen » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:24 pm

BreaksGlasses wrote:That last panel, poor Kin :(
I really would like to dislike Ruby right now, but I keep remembering the Altsplanation and how the Minmax and Forgath of that reality were a-ok with her situation.
Then again, the Altsplanation also gives evidence that Ruby was ruthless before she ever encountered Goblinslayer, Minmax, or Forgath. She killed members of other races that trespassed into the Sunset Fields. I don't mind disliking her.
We're all mad here.

KnightMysterio
Remains Silent

Post by KnightMysterio » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Ruby is needing a punch in the face. Just because your life sucks doesn't mean that everyone else's has to. Just because Kin's starting to fall in love doesn't mean that Ruby has to take it away.

I feel sorry for her, really. But damn it, I like it when characters I like (Kin, Minmax) are happy. I hope she gets owned next comic.

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:29 pm

and it's that very ruthlessness, combined with a seemingly intractable view of the situation that makes me worry about what Ruby might do to Kin.

Strawberrycocoa
Mutters to Themself

Post by Strawberrycocoa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:30 pm

I think reading the Kin's Story is True blog post really shines a different light on this conversation. I can't help but perceive it now an internalized monologue between two waring sides of her thoughts and mind, instead of the literal view of "alternate reality self who developed differently post-trauma.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:37 pm

I for one didn't love this update. It's interesting, but it doesn't resolve anything. I'm becoming impatient for this dungeon crawl to finally wrap up.
Daughter Of Yahweh wrote:A collar is something associated with bondage and unwilling subjugation. You do not choose to wear it.
Unless you're in the BDSM community, of course, where it symbolizes the closest possible consensual bond between two lovers, an intimacy so great that both agree that one "owns" the other (and thus holds a responsibility toward them).
Since Kin chose to wear the necklace Minmax gave her, it is not a collar.
Except maybe in the BDSM definition, as noted above.
True. But it's unfair for Ruby to scorn Kin's psychology, make it look weak compared to hers. The truth is both Kins are contesting their individual sources of pride and confidence. Which Kin can be prouder in her own way? Which is truly strongest?
I identify much more with Ruby than with "Jade", so from my personal perspective: Ruby is a total weakling. Nobody prickles that hard if they trust their armor to protect them; hedgehogs and porcupines are very squishy inside their spines. Ruby is like someone who wields a polearm and will cut down ANYTHING that gets within 10 feet, just to make sure it doesn't get within 5 where she's vulnerable to it again.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

BreaksGlasses
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by BreaksGlasses » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Moroser wrote:I'd say it's Ruby wearing two collars.
Yes, and sadly she doesn't notice it herself, all that hatred is gonna end up badly for her.

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:10 pm

"This necklace does not control my actions; my will does, as your will controls yours. So why are you so willing to be dragged around by a necklace you aren't even wearing?"
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:40 pm

I think it's pretty clear Forgath is doomed to die (though I'm hoping it turns out false somehow), if Kin dies too... I may not be able to enjoy this comic much after that. I'm sorry, I mean no offense and I know it's supposed to be about the goblins but after reading this for so long Minmax, Forgath and Kin have grow to be quite important to me. Personally, Forgath dying in itself is going to be pretty tough. I'll probably never stop reading, but it won't be the same.