12 Dec 2013 - "I know you!"

Discuss the comic here!
willpell
Banned

Re: 12 Dec 2013 - "I know you!"

Post by willpell » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Very few GMs would hold with any degree of sophistry which attempts to justify how executing anyone who was standing near Evil is a Good act. According to Y&B, Kore is cursed; this seems far more likely than that there's some explanation about how it was TOTALLY OKAY for Kore to murder that dwarf kid in cold blood.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:49 am

That ideal would still have to be Good in DnD's objective classification. A paladin's alignment is not based on subjective morality in this universe, no matter how much he believes in his mission.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:54 am

willpell wrote:...about how it was TOTALLY OKAY for Kore to murder that dwarf kid in cold blood.
Actually the blood the dwarf kid was killed in was still warm, he killed it right after the "monster race" humanoids. Sorry for the black humor.
:zzz:

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:38 am

WastesTime wrote:Do you imagine Kore riding on Rainbow Dash?
I can imagine her back being broken under his weight, after which...well.
9:14.

phreak811
Remains Silent
UStream Username: Phreak

Post by phreak811 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Gryphonic wrote:That ideal would still have to be Good in DnD's objective classification. A paladin's alignment is not based on subjective morality in this universe, no matter how much he believes in his mission.
Not really. Quit being hung up on "Good". The Paladin of Tyranny is Lawful Evil. A Blackgaurd (while a prestige class) is really nothing more than a CE Pally. I see him as a Pally of Tyranny. His law that he must follow is that he must destroy all evil in ALL its forms. Even killing a seemingly innocent child because he was "infected". To him if the law he follows says that then it must be obeyed. LE Zealot.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:31 pm

phreak811 wrote:
Gryphonic wrote:That ideal would still have to be Good in DnD's objective classification. A paladin's alignment is not based on subjective morality in this universe, no matter how much he believes in his mission.
Not really. Quit being hung up on "Good". The Paladin of Tyranny is Lawful Evil. A Blackgaurd (while a prestige class) is really nothing more than a CE Pally. I see him as a Pally of Tyranny. His law that he must follow is that he must destroy all evil in ALL its forms. Even killing a seemingly innocent child because he was "infected". To him if the law he follows says that then it must be obeyed. LE Zealot.
I'm basing my answer on the 2nd and 3rd page of the Kore/Axe discussion thread. To summarize: THunt has said Kore follows the rules in the Core Rulebooks, and the paladin alignment variations you're referring to are from Unearthed Arcana, which is not. He also specifically said Kore was not a Fallen Paladin, so his class abilities are not simulated. According to Almightyquad, Lay on Hands is positive energy, which also rules out evil variants.
Even within the comic, characters have been surprised Kore behaves the way he does and remains a paladin. If those variations existed in the Goblins universe, they would not have been so shocked.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:19 am

Gryphonic wrote:
phreak811 wrote:
I'm basing my answer on the 2nd and 3rd page of the Kore/Axe discussion thread. To summarize: THunt has said Kore follows the rules in the Core Rulebooks, and the paladin alignment variations you're referring to are from Unearthed Arcana, which is not. He also specifically said Kore was not a Fallen Paladin, so his class abilities are not simulated. According to Almightyquad, Lay on Hands is positive energy, which also rules out evil variants.
Even within the comic, characters have been surprised Kore behaves the way he does and remains a paladin. If those variations existed in the Goblins universe, they would not have been so shocked.
To be specific:

Code of Conduct: A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class features except proficiencies if she ever willingly commits an evil act.
Additionally, a paladin's code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)