Goblins gaydar poll

Discuss the comic here!

Poll: Which Goblins Main Character is Gay?

MinMax
2%
Forgath
8%
Kin
No votes
Thaco
1%
ComplainOfNames
16%
BigEars
52%
Chief
7%
Fumbles
9%
SavesAFox
2%
DiesHorribly
3%

Total votes: 153

trubbol
Voices Opinions
UStream Username: Trubbol

Re: Goblins gaydar poll

Post by trubbol » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:55 pm

What does german language have to do with things?
Hey guys! I draw art and stuff, and will probably have something new more often than not! Look here! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=460&p=130673#p130673

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:40 pm

Morgaln wrote:To take this further, the German version of "they" is identical to the female singular pronoun. So whenever you are talking about more than one of anything, the pronoun will be female by default. And the same word also doubles as the word used to address people you want to show respect to and/or aren't familiar with.
She/they/thou is only the same word in the first two cases. And their verbs conjugate differently, so it's clear the person(s) isn't literally female.
She: sie > sie > ihr > ihr
They: sie > sie > ihnen > ihre
Formal (sing & pl): Sie > Sie > Ihnen >Ihr

Demonstrative Pronouns ("the")
Fem: die > die > der > deren
Plural: die > die > denen > deren
Formal: (none)

I wish I didn't still know that. I know there are languages where you can't tell at all, I just don't remember which ones out of linguistics class.

@ trubbol: Discussing that, while English usually defaults to 'he' for uncertain gender, other languages may not. And whether THunt's use of "he" in that post meant the character was male, or it was meant to be a neutral pronoun.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:41 am

The point being, in English, the feminine pronoun "she" is reserved for situations where the subject is known to be female. That's just the way the language works, and the politically correct losers who use 'she' for the indefinite case are just demonstrating how big a sellout loser they are. They're the same people who want to call that thing in the street a "Person Hole Cover"

(See Demotivational Poster)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

T' Northerner
Of Few Words

Post by T' Northerner » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:52 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:The point being, in English, the feminine pronoun "she" is reserved for situations where the subject is known to be female. That's just the way the language works, and the politically correct losers who use 'she' for the indefinite case are just demonstrating how big a sellout loser they are. They're the same people who want to call that thing in the street a "Person Hole Cover"

(See Demotivational Poster)
I agree that it appears odd to use 'she' as gender neutral in English, but to me it appears fairly odd to use 'he'. When either of those are used I assume the gender of the subject matches the gender of the pronoun, so it does seem 'off' when that isn't necessarily the case.

And whilst using 'she' does seem a bit ott, especially when 'they' is available and actually achieves neutrality, I feel it unfair to imply political correctness to be inherently negative and am moved to defend it. A certain amount is necessary to grease the wheels of social cohesion.

Also 'sellout' is someone who goes against their own principles for gain. Just because you think it's stupid, it's not selling out unless they also secretly dislike political correctness.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:45 pm

I'm hoping for Complains. Big Ears is kind and compassionate, and it would be a bit of a cliche if the nicest goblin was also the only gay one. Complains, on the other hand, is an intentional mirror of Minmax; they even inflict similar wounds on each other in the last story update. It would be an interesting character trait if he was also gay, but just as much of a stubborn, macho, jerk as Minmax can be.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Steelhaven
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: Twelvth

Post by Steelhaven » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:39 pm

I think my only complain with Big Ears being gay is that it completely changes his motivation for me. Kind of like what happened with Dumbledore.

The dumbledore who put up with all that crap because the dude was his friend is completely different than the dumbledore who put up with all that crap because he had a crush.

Likewise the Big Ears that is inspired to protect the weak because his friend died is a far cry from the Big Ears who protects the weak because his lover was slaughtered before his eyes.

There's a subtle difference, and I think I wouldn't mind if it was that way to begin with, but the change almost feels cheaper to me. (I may just have something against romance in general. Friendship just seems purer than "love" to my mindscape for some reason.)
► Show Spoiler

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:16 pm

Well love does tend to get messy. Unless you were in the shower.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:50 pm

That, and just because Big Ears is Schrodinger's Gay doesn't mean that One Eye (the goblin, not the euphemism) was his lover, or even gay himself. They could very well be friends without the fact that Big Ears is/isn't gay ever factoring into their relationship.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Steelhaven
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: Twelvth

Post by Steelhaven » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:21 pm

True, but most people seem to be giving the "because of one-eye" reason for Big Ears to be gay.
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:27 am

Schrodinger's Gay is simultaneously the best and worst thing I have ever heard. That seems fitting.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:21 am

That's a fantastic term for ambiguous sexuality!

Wears Many Mustaches
Remains Silent

Post by Wears Many Mustaches » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Gotta go with Fumbles, since he's the only Goblin that understands the true beauty of a mustache!!

Starfire
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Starfire

Post by Starfire » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:03 pm

Do you think that THunt will ever tell us if we're right?

Kelten
Converses Frequently
UStream Username: Kelten

Post by Kelten » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:22 pm

I was thinking Biscuit was gay despite the popular fanfic made where he clearly wasn't :-p
Click here if you want to beat me up!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:23 am

Big Ears was my first instinct.
Yet, I voted Minmax.
Why?

Big Ears was not meant to be a main character, as originally he was intended to die. Yet, THunt made him survive and even wrote him a cool weapon.
Thus Big Ears did become a major character.
Everyone (a large majority) voted Big Ears already. (I hate being soemone who's in the middle of a large mass of people.)

The only ones talking about gayness in the comic are Minmax and Forgath.
So it would fit between these two.
Forgath, for all the underlaying gaynesses about playing a character of the opposite gender, is not gay, as confirmed by Minmax.

I think that Minmax is trying so hard to be cool and "not gay", because he is unsure about his sexual orientation, and mainly does as is expected of a "young male", like checking charisma scores.
And it was Minmax that did kiss the Dwarf (the chapter name of Book 4, chapter 23 is The Kiss), even if it was just for fun. He may have kissed the Dwarf already hundreds of thousands of times.
Me thinks that Minmax is gay, and just needs to find this out himself.
(And that's also why the gay-joke Thunt refers to did not work.)

Main disadvantage of this theory: the Minmax-Kin trueseeing.
Need to find a reason for me to be able to ignore this evidence.
Except from the common bisexuality thing, which would still mean that Minmax is not gay....

But that's my opinion, and these are the 'Nets, so do with this as you like.

Side note: Me thinks that Big Ears and Forgath might die in this big, starting battle Kore vs. GAP vs. ForMax.
That may be why THunt was able te rewrite the story to keep BigEars in. For a while at least.

vonpenguin
Whispers Softly

Post by vonpenguin » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:04 am

Sometimes Macho guys are just Macho. We know that MinMax is in love, romantic love, with Kin, he is at the "gayest" bisexual, I suppose that would still fit certain definitions of gay but I don't think Minmax is anything other than straight.

Sutremaine
Whispers Softly

Post by Sutremaine » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:35 pm

Okay, which one of you voted for Saves a Fox...
Steelhaven wrote: The dumbledore who put up with all that crap because the dude was his friend is completely different than the dumbledore who put up with all that crap because he had a crush.
I think Dumbledore may have had a crush on him at the start, but it wouldn't be such a motivating force after the three-way duel. Possibly even before that, when Aberforth turned up, as Dumbledore's reaction (not wanting to know) was similar in both cases.

The same would be true if there were no crush involved, only friendship or platonic intellectual infatuation.

BootToTheHead
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: BoottotheHead

Post by BootToTheHead » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:09 pm

I voted for Complains, but I could see it being Big Ears or Fumbles (mostly those guys, but I wouldn't complain no matter who it was). The cool thing about this reveal is that it really doesn't matter. It could be any one of them and it wouldn't change the story.
I wonder if we'll ever find out.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:20 pm

Krulle wrote:Forgath, for all the underlaying gaynesses about playing a character of the opposite gender, is not gay, as confirmed by Minmax.
Why is playing opposite-gendered characters gay? I and a lot of my gamers friends do it. Should I be speculating about us now? :P
BootToTheHead wrote:I voted for Complains, but I could see it being Big Ears or Fumbles (mostly those guys, but I wouldn't complain no matter who it was). The cool thing about this reveal is that it really doesn't matter. It could be any one of them and it wouldn't change the story.
I wonder if we'll ever find out.
Huzzah! Until/unless it comes up during plot or character development, it's just neat trivia. Finding out someone's gay won't mean THunt's changing the character. His quote was that it's always been true, just not mentioned. We've been making a false assumption, that's all.

St.Rider
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by St.Rider » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:24 am

Nah, you're all reading it wrong. It's obvious that the gay character is Herbert. You know, that Herbert who can't date a girl to save his life.
Yeah,yeah, I know, I know. But then again, why not? :shrug:
MinMax, dearest of all my friends...
► Show Spoiler

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:46 am

St.Rider wrote:Nah, you're all reading it wrong. It's obvious that the gay character is Herbert. You know, that Herbert who can't date a girl to save his life.
Yeah,yeah, I know, I know. But then again, why not? :shrug:
...that...is...BRILLIANT.
► Show Spoiler

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:47 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/08312010/

Why is K'sellis not mentioned? Maybe being vaggit for Lizardfolk is like being gay for us?
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Quild
Whispers Softly

Post by Quild » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:26 am

I voted for Forgath. I think that MM's taunt and the way Forgath reacts mean that the character has different orientations than the player behind it.

Either Forgath likes men (he doesn't show any lust toward Kin) because the girl playing Forgath is straigth and thus doesn't agree being qualified as gay, either Forgath likes girls as does it's player. But this second case may not match with Thunt description of the gay character which may be both a male and a character (not the player).

With no hint at it, Complains would be my second choice, and my third one may be SavesAFox.

But for those who knows "Order of the Stick", the author once stated that while being cool with LGBT and having close gay friends, he doesn't know the first thing about them and would not pretend to speak for them by drawing LGBT characters for that reason.

I think that The Giant's position is really understandable and when I saw this post which is kind of "spot the gay", I thought back about it and I quite regret that Thunt made such comment.
My point of view on Forgath is more about me trying to figure what Thunt had in mind when making such dialogs than judging Forgath. Without Thunt's comment about a character being gay, I wouldn't have bet one cent on Forgath being gay. And he's still my first choice.

I really don't see Complains or Fox as gay characters either, but I don't see them slightly less that I don't see the others being that gay character.
But there again, I have no fucking clue about how to spot a gay when it's not based on obvious clich├®s that shouldn't exist (or sexual attraction toward someone of the same sex, obviously).

You can find the comment I'm referring too here : http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... st15055919

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Quild wrote:
But for those who knows "Order of the Stick", the author once stated that while being cool with LGBT and having close gay friends, he doesn't know the first thing about them and would not pretend to speak for them by drawing LGBT characters for that reason.

I think that The Giant's position is really understandable and when I saw this post which is kind of "spot the gay", I thought back about it and I quite regret that Thunt made such comment.
My point of view on Forgath is more about me trying to figure what Thunt had in mind when making such dialogs than judging Forgath. Without Thunt's comment about a character being gay, I wouldn't have bet one cent on Forgath being gay. And he's still my first choice.

I really don't see Complains or Fox as gay characters either, but I don't see them slightly less that I don't see the others being that gay character.
But there again, I have no fucking clue about how to spot a gay when it's not based on obvious clich├®s that shouldn't exist (or sexual attraction toward someone of the same sex, obviously).

You can find the comment I'm referring too here : http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... st15055919
I don't know if I agree with him. For me it like saying he can't draw women because he is a man (or he can't draw vampire dwarves because he is human)

Quild
Whispers Softly

Post by Quild » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:13 am

kida wrote:
Quild wrote:

I don't know if I agree with him. For me it like saying he can't draw women because he is a man (or he can't draw vampire dwarves because he is human)
And this is a reasonable position but I'd like to point out that vampires and dwarves (in D&D ways) are fictionnal, so there is no big trouble about drawing them the way you imagine them.
Thunt has his personnality, he draws male characters with different personnalities than his own. He may be familiar enough with women to allow himself to draw a few of them.

Maybe he's familiar with LGBT as well, but the "spot the gay" attitude, I don't like it. What's the point since there are no evidences about a character being gay?
I'll finish with this : http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... rhands.png
It is a comic from Thunt. I thought it was good in a first place, then discussing and thinking about it, I realized that this representation is very wrong to many female eyes. The way male acts is unfortunately true while not absolute. The paranoid prey, well, that's not how my friends like to see herselves.