November 22, 2013: The fight everyone's been waiting for

Discuss the comic here!
RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Re: November 22nd, 2013: The fight everyone's been waiting f

Post by RedwoodElf » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:52 pm

MisterWolfe wrote:I wonder if Senor Vorpal Kickasso is going to defeat Minmax's purple worm familiar again :lol:
+4 circumstance bonus on intimidate checks for Vorpal against Minmax.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Maur wrote:
Loyal Backstabber wrote:http://www.goblinscomic.org/11222013/

Hope that beard doesn't grow. If it does, Forgath'll have a huge amount of hair that he can't cut.

This isn't looking good for the GAP. I'm hoping that Kin will show up and break up the fight before Kore starts shooting.
Well, hair fall out naturally. It means that Forgath will start leaving indestructible threads from now on, but i think the world will survive ;)

He needs to study fishing knots, specifically a blood or nail knot. Hair-thin, unbreakable thread?. All sorts of deadly things one can do with that. Bolas that don't just choke or trip but cut and can't be fished out of the wound they make, throwing nets with staying power, stranglers loops and garrottes, invisible fences that conduct the "fire of the heavens" or the magic equivalent, mesh covers for shields that would trap weapons that worked through a loop, OOOO, VELCRO BRICK-WALL WALKING BOOTS !.
Sockmonkey wrote: It would be like chain mail, only warm and cozy!
Never heard of a hair shirt then, Sockmonkey?. Warm maybe . . . but cosy?. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cilice :lol:

currently_awake
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by currently_awake » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:31 pm

Hair never stops growing, it just breaks when it gets long. of course only the "made" stuff is unbreakable, the new stuff is normal.
If Forgath is smart he'll weave his beard into an undershirt or pants or something.

Kin wants that teapot, and that means she's got to do another run of the maze.
I assume the only (outside) time spent in the maze of many is the time it took you to win (final run through).
The kins will know the maze well by that point (faster run), but they will also be exploring for treasure so they will be a bit slower.
Given her low level, It's only a matter of time before Kin gets hurt.
She will then go use the regeneration pillar thingy, and that will restore her necklace and memories.
She will then grab the teapot and hit the red circle, brew the tea (and hide the teapot), and teleport to minmax.
Kore can't shoot into melee, he'd hit Minmax and Forgath.
Minmax and Forgath will team up with Kore to fight the goblins.
I expect Kin's timing will be perfect to prove to Kore that Minmax and Forgath are evil, and a big fight will happen.
They will then retreat into the dungeon, with Kore chasing them.

Hope that beard doesn't grow. If it does, Forgath'll have a huge amount of hair that he can't cut.

This isn't looking good for the GAP. I'm hoping that Kin will show up and break up the fight before Kore starts shooting.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Glemp wrote:
machinehead wrote:Forgaths mace handle with his holy symbol is right below his feet, perhaps he can get to it somehow and stabilize Kin
Ah, I missed that it was on the handle. Okay, it survived. My bad; good recall, Glemp!
currently_awake wrote:She will then go use the regeneration pillar thingy, and that will restore her necklace and memories.]
Sadly, the regen device does not seem to restore objects. Minmax didn't get his backpack back.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

Sidewaysgts
Whispers Softly

Post by Sidewaysgts » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:54 pm

currently_awake wrote:Hair never stops growing, it just breaks when it gets long.
Nerd moment- Dunno about dwarf hair, but human hair 110% does stop growing- All of it, from the hair on your feet to the hair on your head. Hair follicles work in cycles- Theyre active for awhile (called the anagen phase), then shut down for awhile (called the telogen phase. The phase when theyre just starting to shut down is called the catagen phase- At any one point you have a lot of hair follicles at any of these stages), and then the cycle repeats. When the follicle shuts down, the hair falls simply out. The hair on your arm for example never "gets longer" than what it "normally is" not because they break past a certain point, but because thats all the length the hair on your arm grows during the duration the hair follicles are active. Same story for hair on your head- However the cycle is much longer for hair on your head (usually), and can vary a LOT from person to person. Does it seem like your hair just "doenst grow" past a certain length? Chances are- It doesnt. Thats simply as long as your hair can grow before your follicles shut down- Someone who can "grow longer hair" typically just simply have longer growing phases.

Maur
Of Few Words

Post by Maur » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:03 pm

AntMac wrote:
Maur wrote:

Well, hair fall out naturally. It means that Forgath will start leaving indestructible threads from now on, but i think the world will survive ;)

He needs to study fishing knots, specifically a blood or nail knot. Hair-thin, unbreakable thread?. All sorts of deadly things one can do with that. Bolas that don't just choke or trip but cut and can't be fished out of the wound they make, throwing nets with staying power, stranglers loops and garrottes, invisible fences that conduct the "fire of the heavens" or the magic equivalent, mesh covers for shields that would trap weapons that worked through a loop, OOOO, VELCRO BRICK-WALL WALKING BOOTS !.
We need to think big. BIG.

Shadow-square wire now can be made from Forgath beard!

(of the ringworld fame)

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:38 pm

Yup, my thoughts exactly. What attributes does Dwarf hair have normally, does making it indestructible change any of them, does it conduct electricity/magic/curses/spells now, are there spells it repeals from ( I am thinking the spell Disintegrate should at least make it twitch if not grow rigid/and or curl, by the laws of funny http://neonismycolor.com/NewBlog/wp-con ... artoon.png ) i.e. could there be some spell that would make it spring out rigid i.e. i.e. is there some chance for one of the Goblins to use the immortal lines ""I have a variable-sword," said Speaker-to-Animals. "I urge calm".

We need to do SCIEN . . . umm, We need to do MAGIC ! to it

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Spoken like a true unicorn! And now I suddenly crave a Goblins/Friendship is Magic crossover.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

St.Rider
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by St.Rider » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:24 am

Kamos wrote:Senior Vorpal is undamaged. Unarmored. Untested offense.
Enough offensive capabilities to defeat a purple worm. Should be nerfed.
Forgath is undamaged. Good AC. All spells. Good offense.
I digerss. Good to great AC (full plate, +? from hammerhead). Used healing on MM after the first meeting with Psimax, made MM-37 suck badger. Offence uncertain.
ThroughTheWell wrote:Yeah, I think the helmet twist highlighing the single eye IS foreshadowing.
Oh, so you too think the comic will feature a one-eyed unicorn?
MinMax, dearest of all my friends...
► Show Spoiler

Steelhaven
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: Twelvth

Post by Steelhaven » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:31 am

Gryphonic wrote:
currently_awake wrote:She will then go use the regeneration pillar thingy, and that will restore her necklace and memories.]
Sadly, the regen device does not seem to restore objects. Minmax didn't get his backpack back.
Happily, there may be reason to believe that it will be restored when the maze is reset.
► Show Spoiler

Sockmonkey
Whispers Softly

Post by Sockmonkey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:32 am

AntMac wrote:
Never heard of a hair shirt then, Sockmonkey?. Warm maybe . . . but cosy?. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cilice :lol:
One wears padding under chain mail since it's flexible structure only resists cuts and stabs, not crushing damage. The same would be done for Uber-Beard armor.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:26 am

I reckon this last panel of today's page proves that Forgaths indestructible beard rules him out as being Kore. Kore's could be cut and was not golden brown.

Also, shortly Forgath n Kore will meet, where the relatively newly minted talking wall of brassmoon once foretold that it would all end ugly for all. I am so set up for this fight that is way way overdue - I've even ordered me a 12 month supply of popcorn.
Last edited by Tofu on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:32 am

Glemp wrote:Didn't like the dialogue. If you've already said and just shown that the beard's invincible, then there's no need to say it again. On the other hand, it is a very nice benefit that I hadn't thought of before.
If he didn't reiterate it, the forums would be flooded with confused people and wild guesses about how Thaco's swords must be weak against dwarves.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:51 am

Sockmonkey wrote:
AntMac wrote:
One wears padding under chain mail since it's flexible structure only resists cuts and stabs, not crushing damage. The same would be done for Uber-Beard armor.
It would be awesome chain mail material, wouldn't it. Light as a , well, as a beard, and water proof/rustless/acid proof, fireproof, though of course porous as all hell, so it wouldn't help the person wearing it that much. Plus, it probably smells like Dwarf, which might help you if you were being tracked by a http://dims.vetstreet.com/dims3/MMAH/cr ... 062311.jpg
► Show Spoiler
Liesmith wrote:If he didn't reiterate it, the forums would be flooded with confused people and wild guesses about how Thaco's swords must be weak against dwarves.
Or parts thereof.

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:13 am

In the second last panel, the holy symbol is apparantly a bright light. Like, it looks like Forgath shinned a torch into Thaco's eye. If this is the case, then that's an interesting extra feature of the Cammer. I wonder if it can light areas up?
AntMac wrote:
Liesmith wrote:If he didn't reiterate it, the forums would be flooded with confused people and wild guesses about how Thaco's swords must be weak against dwarves.
Or parts thereof.
This is one good reason to do it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if people had forgotten the increased durability of those regenerated 'body parts'.

I think it may also have been for some minor comic relief. I mean, it's not so hilarious that you fall on the floor and roll about laughing, but I found it somewhat amusing, like a sort of aside towards the readers. Just my opinion though.

Sidewaysgts
Whispers Softly

Post by Sidewaysgts » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:46 am

Tofu wrote:I reckon this last panel of today's page proves that Forgaths indestructible beard rules him out as being Kore. Kore's could be cut and was not golden brown.
I still think the biggest piece of evidence for me personally so far is the observation that they have completely different IME effects, but even bigger, colors.

Maur
Of Few Words

Post by Maur » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:11 am

AntMac wrote:Yup, my thoughts exactly. What attributes does Dwarf hair have normally, does making it indestructible change any of them, does it conduct electricity/magic/curses/spells now, are there spells it repeals from ( I am thinking the spell Disintegrate should at least make it twitch if not grow rigid/and or curl, by the laws of funny http://neonismycolor.com/NewBlog/wp-con ... artoon.png ) i.e. could there be some spell that would make it spring out rigid i.e. i.e. is there some chance for one of the Goblins to use the immortal lines ""I have a variable-sword," said Speaker-to-Animals. "I urge calm".

We need to do SCIEN . . . umm, We need to do MAGIC ! to it
There is one, crucial question. Is it magma-safe material? ;)

WhichWayDidHeGo
Mutters to Themself

Post by WhichWayDidHeGo » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:51 am

Well, felgercarb! Also Shazbotz!

My resolve to not look at goblins for three months so that there might be some real story progress lasted less than three weeks. On the other hand, there actually has been some story progress. Now I am reading the forum for my Goblins fix, but it is just a zombie version of the real thing.

:wall:
"O Heracles! The valor of man is vanquished!"
- Archidamus son of Agesilaus, King of Sparta, when @ 350 B.C. he first saw a catapult shot

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:57 am

Wait, I must have missed the part where the stuff replaced by the machine or whatnot is invincible. Oh well. Rolling with it.
I am high in fructose.

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:18 am

Wait - how is it Thaco is part demon? Must have missed that part.
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:35 am

Tofu wrote:I reckon this last panel of today's page proves that Forgaths indestructible beard rules him out as being Kore. Kore's could be cut and was not golden brown.

Also, shortly Forgath n Kore will meet, where the relatively newly minted talking wall of brassmoon once foretold that it would all end ugly for all. I am so set up for this fight that is way way overdue - I've even ordered me a 12 month supply of popcorn.
Don't think so. First of all, we are talking about time travel of some sort. As pointed out Forgath should pluck his beard or cut it at the natural roots and make it into all sorts of amazing weapons and armor and tools. If it's true that the rest of the beard growth will be normal hair, he will eventually have a normal beard again. The number 50 years was being thrown around--not sure where it came from. But I suppose Kore could be Forgath fifty years from now.

It's all very speculative. Forgath dies now, comes back as some sort of zombie attached to another dwarf's head, time travels and kills his younger self? Fun, but not really consistent with a DnD game run for two serious players, a major NPC, and three lousy players that don't make every session anyhow.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:50 am

JustRight wrote:Wait - how is it Thaco is part demon? Must have missed that part.
Thaco isn't part demon. What made you think that? He just had a rod slammed into his face.

St.Rider
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by St.Rider » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:51 am

T-RexWithTourettes wrote:Wait, I must have missed the part where the stuff replaced by the machine or whatnot is invincible. Oh well. Rolling with it.
It's here.
JustRight wrote:Wait - how is it Thaco is part demon? Must have missed that part.
I'm guessing he meant Complains the first time if that's what confused you.
MinMax, dearest of all my friends...
► Show Spoiler

Pablo
Mutters to Themself

Post by Pablo » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:13 am

T-RexWithTourettes wrote:Wait, I must have missed the part where the stuff replaced by the machine or whatnot is invincible. Oh well. Rolling with it.
Hi!

See this page where "Ruby" says, "It looks like the newly created matter is much more dense. I bet it's almost impervious to physical damage."

Hope this helps!

Pablo
Mutters to Themself

Post by Pablo » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:29 am

brnforce wrote:
Thaco isn't part demon. What made you think that? He just had a rod slammed into his face.
Hi!

Actually, Complains is. :)

Recall the following:
  • During the Battle of Brassmoon when Thaco was hit by a loose "polymorph into a demon" effect of the Shield of Wonder but was from full transformation by Big Ears (see this page and this page)
  • In the fight with Kore that was drawn 3 years ago, but happening only moments before in the GAP timeline when Thaco went into a berserker rage and his IME took on the form of a demonic tail so that even Kore thought he was a demon (see this page and this page).
Just my $0.02!