Nov 12, 2013 update: "Where are my crumpets?"

Discuss the comic here!
jakesdad
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: jakesdad

Nov 12, 2013 update: "Where are my crumpets?"

Post by jakesdad » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:35 am

Ah ha!

So that's where MinMax gets his green armor from! We're pretty much done here at the Maze of Many, then. Don't think there are any plot threads left to tie up.

Perma link!
Last edited by LAYF on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: All topics merged into the first one! Link added to OP

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

11/12/2013: "Drink The Tea."

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:35 am

Minmax, you talked yourself into that. You know that... right?

Well, maybe he takes his mind off his pain by inflicting some of his own on Names...
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Nov 11, 2013 Drink the Tea

Post by SamWiser » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:37 am

Here's my prediction. Minmax and Forgath will leave to chase the goblins. Over the course of their adventures, Kin will realize that she "sees" him. She will then use the teapot to come back to him. That's the best ending for them I can think of right now.

Today's page
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Potonho
Remains Silent

Re: 11/12/2013: "Drink The Tea."

Post by Potonho » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:37 am

i was here like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to create a topic =~~

this one made me cringe more than the one he pull the leash =~~

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: Nov 12, 2013 update: "Where are my crumpets?"

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:37 am

Thunt said the next update deals with the GAP, so.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:38 am

You have to make (I think) three posts before you can make a topic. It's meant to protect against ads and trolls.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:40 am

All topics have been merged..
-Best regards LAYF

jakesdad
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: jakesdad

Post by jakesdad » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:43 am

SamWiser wrote:You have to make (I think) three posts before you can make a topic. It's meant to protect against ads and trolls.
I figured there would be several near simultaneous topics created that would be combined. Kind of immaterial which topic sentence is used.

I have 18 posts on the new forum site and it let me create a topic. Was your post directed at a question I missed?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:46 am

jakesdad wrote:
SamWiser wrote:You have to make (I think) three posts before you can make a topic. It's meant to protect against ads and trolls.
I figured there would be several near simultaneous topics created that would be combined. Kind of immaterial which topic sentence is used.

I have 18 posts on the new forum site and it let me create a topic. Was your post directed at a question I missed?
He asked Potonho:
Potonho wrote:i was here like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to create a topic =~~

this one made me cringe more than the one he pull the leash =~~

I merged the posts into yours, as it was the first one (With 3 sec), as a rule, we only keep one thread for each update, and if others are made, we merge them.
-Best regards LAYF

talantus
Remains Silent

Post by talantus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:46 am

sunuvabitch, this is really breaking my heart. well, thunt really know how to develop a story. been following goblins for a while now and it never disapoints, even reread it a few times now. lots of hidden stuff too. a very well made story with an intricate attention to details.

respect, i WILL follow this comic.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:48 am

My first reaction to this page: Kin's reply seems ambiguous at the end. Is drinking the tea her answer to his offer, or a refusal to address it?
It's definitely her asking for space, either way.
Last edited by Gryphonic on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:49 am

Now, would it not be cool if it was NOT Minmax in the next update but someone else? because the Goblin Forgath is thinking of is Dies so they TP to the white terror and him instead :P

Hmm.. now there is a cracker for you :P
-Best regards LAYF

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:03 am

Aegis J Hyena wrote:Minmax, you talked yourself into that. You know that... right?

Well, maybe he takes his mind off his pain by inflicting some of his own on Names...
Now we'll see if MinMax can inflict pain to Names...
► Show Spoiler

Quild
Whispers Softly

Post by Quild » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:48 am

So it's the end of the maze of many and Forgath is still 3rd level... We hardly can expect a raise dead for Chief.

00iCon
Remains Silent

Post by 00iCon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:51 am

Part of me really hopes that Kin's already drank a 'passenger' cup of tea. Yes, this will help me sleep at night.
Quild wrote:So it's the end of the maze of many and Forgath is still 3rd level... We hardly can expect a raise dead for Chief.
Why not animate dead. >:D

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

11 November 2013: Drink the tea.

Post by Krulle » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:20 am

I am so sad.

I bet Minmax won't be able to think of anybody else besides Kin. So whatever happens, the activation tea should bring him to Kin.
Can he hitch a passenger ride with Forgath to the GAP, and keep the activation tea for a bit later, to return to Kin?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:32 am

Thunt's tweet:

"Let me clarify. I'm not leaving the Min-Kin story arc now. Next update IS Min-Kin. Next update is ALSO the GAP.
01:01:42 AM November 12, 2013"

Any thoughts - because I have no idea how he'll manage to do this :shock:
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:46 am

I think that out of all the people who drink the tea(s), there is one who will set where they are all going. *
And Kin pointedly gave that role to Forgath, by offering him the navigation tea. Because she knows that Minmax will most likely only think of her, and end up right where he started. Smart girl.

*:Since the teapot is probably designed to be a sophisticated traveling magic item (or artifact or whatever diction we have here, I forgot), and traveling often happens in groups and usually individuals have very individual thoughts of their own, it WOULD be a smart design to have one person choose the destination and then have ALL of the group go there. Else a lot of groups would be split up by this device, because someone is bound to think of someone else, making the jade teapot more of a hindrance, than a useful (treasured) object. :idea:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Simon_Jester
Mutters to Themself

Post by Simon_Jester » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:50 am

Gryphonic wrote:My first reaction to this page: Kin's reply seems ambiguous at the end. Is drinking the tea her answer to his offer, or a refusal to address it?
Given how Kin's been acting since the necklace was obliterated, "refusal to address it" seems more likely.

The following is in no way a criticism of Kin's reaction to Minmax grabbing the leash; it's an observation that predates that:

Honestly, obliterating the necklace seems to have made her completely insane with regards to Minmax. It's like, she has emotions but she isn't even trying to deal with them, she's just entirely shut down on them and is just dismissing Minmax over and over, and has been doing so since before the leash-grab.

Personally, I feel like this is out of character- not that it's unrealistic, but that it's unrealistic for Kin, who we know to be a woman of great logic and thoughtfulness and curiosity about herself and her surroundings. Instead of trying to understand what's going on in her brain, she's gotten locked into a very inflexible stance, one that makes it look as if obliterating the necklace changed her, not just her memory.
It's definitely her asking for space, either way.
Spacetime, even; when he drinks the tea Minmax is leaving Kin's entire pocket universe. If she's joining the Kin-party, she might well emerge with them into a different reality and never see them again.

Chiatroll
Remains Silent

Post by Chiatroll » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:53 am

I kind of wonder if the link kin and minmax share will also effect teleportation magical effects.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:54 am

00iCon wrote:Part of me really hopes that Kin's already drank a 'passenger' cup of tea.
WastesTime wrote:Thunt's tweet:
"Let me clarify. I'm not leaving the Min-Kin story arc now. Next update IS Min-Kin. Next update is ALSO the GAP.
I want to hold out hope that these together will give a happy result - Kin drank the passenger tea, and is on this page just testing Minmax. She'll go with him IF he's willing to respect her choice over his this time about letting her go.
I would really like that to be what's happening, but I'm afraid to hope for heartwarming things.

And her presence at their destination would avert further tragedy for the GAP.

ETA: If Kin drank the tea now, she'd have to leave the teapot. I still think and hope she's seeing if Minmax is worth forgiving at some point, but if she does want to follow him she can only keep the teapot if she did another run with the Kins first.
Unless the psionic gears can hack the Maze enough to reactive the red circle. The Kins aren't done playing with it yet.
Last edited by Gryphonic on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

Tarnagh
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Tarnagh » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:54 am

Ok... so... maybe she's testing him. She knows he's sorry. She thinks she knows he cares. Maybe this is to see if he cares enough to leave her if that's what she says she wants, no matter how much it hurts him personally?

St.Rider
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by St.Rider » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:31 am

00iCon wrote:
Quild wrote:So it's the end of the maze of many and Forgath is still 3rd level... We hardly can expect a raise dead for Chief.
Why not animate dead. >:D
No can do.
//Yes, I know you weren't serious.

As for the next update featuring KinMax and GAP... technically it could just be KinMax in the beginning (then teleport) and GAP in the end of the strip. And Kin doesn't need to teleport with the duo right away, after all, she'll be outside of the flow of time while in MoM. So she can think it all through, pick a class, level up a bit, find a decent man, marry him, have children and then still return to her reality at the same moment as MM and Forgath.

On a side note, I hate that Anny who is not at all like THunt. As I understand, she's the one to blame for the update being late. So if you're reading this, know that I'm really angry at you, Anny Webcomic Author.
MinMax, dearest of all my friends...
► Show Spoiler

Quild
Whispers Softly

Post by Quild » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:36 am

WastesTime wrote:Any thoughts - because I have no idea how he'll manage to do this :shock:
Something like:

First panel:
MM: So if I drink the tea, you'll forgive me?
Kin: I won't, but if you don't, we'll have to fight.

Second panel:
MM: I hope you'll change your mind. If you do, you'll just have to drink the tea yourself (wait, can only one person use the Jade Teapot? Maybe by drinking two cups?). Kin, I'm sorry...

Third panel:
MM to Forgath: Ready when you are.
Forgath to Kin: I'm sorry it ends like this... Good luck.

Fourth panel:
Forgath to MM: Ready
MM drinks.

Fifth big panel:
MM: Hello Complains, remember me?
MM draws oblivous and activates berserk rage.

Please make me wrong.

Oh and regarding next strips, MM kills Complains but get killed by Thac0 and Big Ears. Forgath doesn't manage to prevent the fight but Big Ears and him manage to stop it once MM's down. Kore comes and see Forgath as an evil being for discussing with goblins, he kills Forgath while the rest of the GAP manages to reach the dungeon.
Yeah, now I'm just trolling ^^

Grim Levity
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Grim Levity

Post by Grim Levity » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:27 am

Simon_Jester wrote:
Gryphonic wrote:My first reaction to this page: Kin's reply seems ambiguous at the end. Is drinking the tea her answer to his offer, or a refusal to address it?
Given how Kin's been acting since the necklace was obliterated, "refusal to address it" seems more likely.

The following is in no way a criticism of Kin's reaction to Minmax grabbing the leash; it's an observation that predates that:

Honestly, obliterating the necklace seems to have made her completely insane with regards to Minmax. It's like, she has emotions but she isn't even trying to deal with them, she's just entirely shut down on them and is just dismissing Minmax over and over, and has been doing so since before the leash-grab.

Personally, I feel like this is out of character- not that it's unrealistic, but that it's unrealistic for Kin, who we know to be a woman of great logic and thoughtfulness and curiosity about herself and her surroundings. Instead of trying to understand what's going on in her brain, she's gotten locked into a very inflexible stance, one that makes it look as if obliterating the necklace changed her, not just her memory.
I agree, and this parallels my observations about Minmax a few threads back. It feels like both of them have utterly backpedaled their character building to this point for the sake of creating drama instead of the drama coming about in a fluid way that is consistent with the story.

With Klik's death, there was a lot of build-up and characterization--however subtle--that led to the scenario and the heartbreaking hug. With the conflict between Grem and Biscuit, it fit the characterization of each and their respective goals despite how much I thought it'd be cool if they were teamed up. Much as I'd hate it, characterization to this point is consistent with Minmax still deciding to try and kill the GAP regardless of how much he's grown and changed his outlook--it's an obsession he can't let go even if all other "monster" races give him pause from here on out thanks to his relationship with Kin.

Him grabbing the leash, Kin refusing to confront the situation (she said she doesn't run away previously, and proved it), these scenarios just feel forced and it takes me out of the story.

Not to say I don't think the story is ruined--just that situations like this certainly take away from it.