Nov 6 2013 Update: "Damn Spiders!"

Discuss the comic here!
harlequin
Mutters to Themself

Re: Nov 6 2013 Update: "Damn Spiders!"

Post by harlequin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:26 am

Chir wrote: ...we do know 2 things.
1) At some point in the future MinMax will have said the word Green.
Does jade count as a colour for his armour? If so he might have just said jade teapot.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:10 am

YardMeat wrote:
Shjade wrote:
Wolfie wrote:Also... look at the last few lines of this gem of a blog post... a teaser two and a half years in the making.

We have hope... it is small... and broken... but still good. Yeah, still good. :)
No.

Minmax already said "I see you," so the "teaser" of that post is fulfilled.

It doesn't say it happens twice. It might, but just going by that blog's end statement, the page he's talking about already happened.
So THunt decided to commemorate the happiest moment in his life by linking it to an event in the comic where a promising relationship is completely destroyed? I doubt it. I think we will read ÔÇ£I see youÔÇØ again in the future.
Thanks YardMeat, I was going to respond with something similar, but you already did it for me.

THunt has a habit of repeating things in the comic with postures, actions, and words. Who's to say that "I see you" won't be repeated back to MM in some form or another soon?

What I fear is Kin's reaction to Ruby when she finds out what happened to her necklace.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 am

New theory that might explain why Kin didn't "see" Minmax's injuries on the tower or fighting Psimax, but does now (assuming absence of spider-bite misdirection).
Kin has handled the leash before, like when she wrapped it around her arm, but it was always unattended when she grabbed it. Odds are never until now has a leash holder offered her the leash and said "Take the leash" or words to that effect.
Minmax may have just broken the curse, or at least turned the leash off. This method of breaking a curse is precedented all through myth and legend. She may only now have her "seeing" unsuppressed, and in fact ALL her racial abilities may be back on. She might even be able to take the collar off without penalty.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:31 am

Jochi wrote:New theory that might explain why Kin didn't "see" Minmax's injuries on the tower or fighting Psimax, but does now (assuming absence of spider-bite misdirection).
Kin has handled the leash before, like when she wrapped it around her arm, but it was always unattended when she grabbed it. Odds are never until now has a leash holder offered her the leash and said "Take the leash" or words to that effect.
Minmax may have just broken the curse, or at least turned the leash off. This method of breaking a curse is precedented all through myth and legend. She may only now have her "seeing" unsuppressed, and in fact ALL her racial abilities may be back on. She might even be able to take the collar off without penalty.
That's an interesting idea. I like it.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:35 am

@Jochi: It's how the Genie got free in Aladdin. It's how Ella of Frell got free from her curse... sorta.

You may be onto something...
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Jochi wrote:New theory that might explain why Kin didn't "see" Minmax's injuries on the tower or fighting Psimax, but does now (assuming absence of spider-bite misdirection).
Hey, that's not bad.

Brings Cupcakes
Of Few Words

Post by Brings Cupcakes » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:15 pm

That would be a good narrative explanation for why Minmax didn't just drop the leash, which struck me as a little odd at the time.

I like it, and I hope it's true.

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Re: Nov 6 2013 Update: "Damn Creepers!"

Post by Simon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:29 pm

I don't know if anyone has mentionend it yet, but Kin should watch out for those creepers in the second last panel.
Last edited by Simon on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:55 pm

Master TMO wrote:Slightly off-topic, but has it been said why they can't take more than one item with them? It does state that the winner can only take one, but they're not the winners. They're taking a back door out of the place. Why can't they just grab all the epic loots they can carry and then drink their tea?
Interesting thought.

I was thinking they should not be allowed to leave the Maze any other way than by entering the circle at all, because the Maze is not just somewhere off the map where you can teleport from, but also exists out of time - and teleportation does not include time or even dimensional travel to my knowledge.

So... do we know they actually can leave the Maze using the Jade Tea Pot?

aeton
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Aeton

Post by aeton » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:00 pm

Am I the only one seeing Minmax's right foot getting axed in the last panel?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:38 pm

Master TMO wrote:Slightly off-topic, but has it been said why they can't take more than one item with them? It does state that the winner can only take one, but they're not the winners. They're taking a back door out of the place. Why can't they just grab all the epic loots they can carry and then drink their tea?
Interesting question.
But it's not the only one which likely will remain unanswered....

Also: http://www.goblinscomic.org/04122013/ seems to indicate that all "transporting winners out" must have been finished by now...
There are a few discrepancies here and there, but for the story's sake more than acceptable.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Krulle wrote:
Interesting question.
But it's not the only one which likely will remain unanswered....

Also: http://www.goblinscomic.org/04122013/ seems to indicate that all "transporting winners out" must have been finished by now...
There are a few discrepancies here and there, but for the story's sake more than acceptable.
That's not a discrepancy, if I'm understanding your point. Normally, the Maze would have reset as soon as Psimax was sent home, but the Kin's had put the reset on manual, so it won't happen until they push the button.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Master TMO wrote:
That's not a discrepancy, if I'm understanding your point. Normally, the Maze would have reset as soon as Psimax was sent home, but the Kin's had put the reset on manual, so it won't happen until they push the button.
yes - this seems like very stupid move on their part. If someone will happen to them and they can't push the reset button... all the alts could be stuck forever...

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:05 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/09292013/ Oh well.
Wolfie wrote: What I fear is Kin's reaction to Ruby when she finds out what happened to her necklace.
Nope! Looking forward to it with great anticipation!
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:52 pm

I like your theory Jochi - I like it a LOT :praise:
All hail the power of the stick!

Lady Dawn
Whispers Softly

Post by Lady Dawn » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:13 pm

When Minmax got injured in the tower room, he was berserk. In many RPG's you do not feel pain when in state of berserk.
Probably the seeing started at the tender moment prior to Minmax sacrificing himself in the tower room.
Because he wasn't in berserk when his arm got shot earlier and nothing happened.

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Kin said it would be therapeutic to fight a representation of herself. Ruby is her protective/cautious nature, Onyx is her overly rational side, and Sapphire is her childish innocence. (Kin has already defeated the darker sides of her nature.) Ax of Kinslaying anybody?
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:06 pm

Davis8488 wrote: Kin said it would be therapeutic to fight a representation of herself. Ruby is her protective/cautious nature, Onyx is her overly rational side, and Sapphire is her childish innocence. (Kin has already defeated the darker sides of her nature.) Axe of Kinslaying anybody?
Did you mean to do this with the spoilers?
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Glemp, I merely meant to provide links for those who might not understand which pages I meant to reference; your way is arguably better,but I am inexperienced in the forum, and that is beyond my capabilities. Thank you for improving upon my post.

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Davis8488 wrote:Glemp, I merely meant to provide links for those who might not understand which pages I meant to reference; your way is arguably better,but I am inexperienced in the forum, and that is beyond my capabilities. Thank you for improving upon my post.
Well, what I did wasn't terribly polite, as it denies ad revenue - I assumed that was what you wanted because you were using spoilers. If you want to do this, the markup is:

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.goblinscomic.org/01042013/]this[/url]

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks, Glemp, good to know.

► Show Spoiler

Swiftbow
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Swiftbow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:01 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:
Kamos wrote:I think the important thing is where the hell did that spider come from?
Well when a mommy spider eats a daddy spider....
I think he meant "how did a spider get into the Maze of Many?"

Possibly on clothes or something? Reaching the last room in especially impressive though. Wouldn't it reset with everything else?

The spider actually kind of speaks to everything that bothers me about the current "drama" between Minmax and Kin. Characters like Ruby (and the spider) seem shoehorned into the plot to create dramatic tension, rather than letting actual character development (which we've had a lot of good progress with) create said tension on its own. This setup feels an awful lot like the overused "big misunderstandings" tropes you get in romantic comedies and such.

My only point, I guess, is I think we could have gotten here without the contrivances to force it.

biggmac
Remains Silent

Post by biggmac » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:32 pm

Swiftbow wrote:
RedwoodElf wrote:
Kamos wrote:I think the important thing is where the hell did that spider come from?
Well when a mommy spider eats a daddy spider....
I think he meant "how did a spider get into the Maze of Many?"

Possibly on clothes or something? Reaching the last room in especially impressive though. Wouldn't it reset with everything else?
No, no, no.

This is maze of many reality 36B - the Arthropod reality. That's where ScorpionKin originally came from (she left her original group and joined with eyepatch Minmax and undead ring collecting Forgath after their Kin went on a hunger strike). What you're seeing there is brown recluse Minmax; he hitchhiked on our Minmax's chest plate when in the tower room. Poor Trilobite Forgath became extinct before reaching the maze.

St.Rider
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by St.Rider » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:37 am

Once they claim possession of an item, they cannot pick another one. A simple statement DnD-wise; might be depicted by them physically unable to take another item as if it's super-glued or something.
harlequin wrote:
Chir wrote: ...we do know 2 things.
1) At some point in the future MinMax will have said the word Green.
Does jade count as a colour for his armour? If so he might have just said jade teapot.
Perhaps. Though I expect something like "So... is this tea black or green?"

And Jochi might've just hit the bull's eye.

On a side note: I wonder who wrote the last example here.
Last edited by St.Rider on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinMax, dearest of all my friends...
► Show Spoiler

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:40 am

biggmac wrote: This is maze of many reality 36B - the Arthropod reality [... ] Poor Trilobite Forgath became extinct before reaching the maze.
Thank you for the image of a trilobite with a bicolor beard and one librigena "horn" of the head lopped off. You made this paleontology student laugh.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....