10 October, 2013: Cammer

Discuss the comic here!
bcas77
Whispers Softly

10 October, 2013: Cammer

Post by bcas77 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:58 am

http://www.goblinscomic.org/10102013/

Looks like Forgath picked himself a pretty sick weapon! D&Ders, is that a hammer or a mace?

Earthen
Pipes Up Sometimes
UStream Username: Earthen_

Re: 10 October, 2013: Cammer

Post by Earthen » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:17 am

I could not answer, myself. I'm amazed that they're not discussing how they intend to leave that place, unless they've already had that conversation off-panel.
We're all mad here.

Dendr
Whispers Softly

Post by Dendr » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:28 am

Minmax wants to earn XP for roleplaying again?

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:41 am

From black and white art and those narration at the beginning I thought it's another even more alternate reality or flashback or something.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:44 am

I dunno, Forgath. That thing looks pretty heavy. :)
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:46 am

He's a dwarf, he likes heavy weapons... not being racist or anything.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:54 am

I want that kusarigama on the back wall. Maybe Baka's player will end up taking it.

Is "cammer" a word in Canadian or something? I don't get the joke unless it's as obvious as it appears ("mace case = hammer cammer", which is dumb even for Minmax).
Last edited by willpell on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:55 am

Borys wrote:He's a dwarf, he likesis a heavy weapons... not being racist or anything.
Fixed that for you

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:56 am

Borys wrote:He's a dwarf, he likes heavy weapons... not being racist or anything.
Yeah, but not only does it look heavy, it looks like it's too big to fit in a backpack. :)
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:58 am

Oh no! He won't be able to make anymore ridiculous scenes with searching for weapons in a backpack during fight!
No more "This thing is heavy" jokes!
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:01 am

Pretty sure it's just mace case -> hammer cammer.

And I'd have to say the weapon is a hammer. A mace is typically (in my limited experience) drawn as a haft with a blunt end where the hitting surface is pretty much the same 360 degrees. A sphere, cylinder, cube, doesn't really matter what shape it is. It doesn't have a direction it must be swing to hit the target straight on. Whereas a hammer has a definite arc of travel, with 1 (or 2) hitting surfaces that concentrate the striking force onto a smaller surface area. Hitting your target with the hammer at an angle or sideways makes the blow much weaker or impossible. Not so with a mace.

And that glove looks like it has a definite striking surface on one end.

Ergo- hammer.

Brings Cupcakes
Of Few Words

Post by Brings Cupcakes » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:09 am

Borys wrote:Oh no! He won't be able to make anymore ridiculous scenes with searching for weapons in a backpack during fight!
No more "This thing is heavy" jokes!
As it happens, Minmax doesn't carry a backpack ÔÇö and never has.

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:15 am

For once, I think Minmax is right. Sure it's somewhat round, but a mace has a head that reaches equally in each direction.

Also, the first few panels are hilarious in my opinion. It's good to see that he's using his boredom to write apocalyptic logs instead of simply using it to walk on non-apocalyptic logs.
You know you're playing D&D when your party is bartering to get good prices on the sold equipment of a party member... While that party members stands 5 feet away and protests.

My forum game: The Unhallowed Isle (recruiting). OOC.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:22 am

Who needs color, or shading? I love it just the way it is!

Btw - perhaps those last few frames were drawn while on a shaky/vibrating plane...??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. I'm torn - should the 3rd frame speech bubble be rounded, not squarish (since he is now speaking on frame)?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:27 am

For the "cammer" joke, MinMax would have to be able to spell, and for that he would need to be able to read...
And we know he can't.

scrap that. my fault. Please ignore this post.

But I'm still waiting for the story to leave the MoM behind.
So I can feel with Minmax. Very much so.
Last edited by Krulle on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Crimson
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Crimsonak

Post by Crimson » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:27 am

Master TMO wrote:Pretty sure it's just mace case -> hammer cammer.

And I'd have to say the weapon is a hammer. A mace is typically (in my limited experience) drawn as a haft with a blunt end where the hitting surface is pretty much the same 360 degrees. A sphere, cylinder, cube, doesn't really matter what shape it is. It doesn't have a direction it must be swing to hit the target straight on. Whereas a hammer has a definite arc of travel, with 1 (or 2) hitting surfaces that concentrate the striking force onto a smaller surface area. Hitting your target with the hammer at an angle or sideways makes the blow much weaker or impossible. Not so with a mace.

And that glove looks like it has a definite striking surface on one end.

Ergo- hammer.
Not sure I agree with that definition, (although I will also point out my experience is probably just as limited) while it is true that typically maces has spherical and blunt and essentially a weighted tip to a club, it is not a requirement. Many maces such as earthernware maces are not spherical at all, as well as flanged, morning star and stone maces also typically not spherical.
Although the angles at which you can successfully hit are still greater than a hammer, I don't think this in itself plays directly into the definition.

The difference as I see it between a hammer and a mace is that a hammer, (much like medieval warhammers) must be capable of peircing (direct, chosen) damage in addition to the capability of bludgeoning damage (direct, chosen). This definition becomes flimsy however, when you get to bigger hammers, as such that they become mallets/mauls which are not restricted to requiring piercing capabilities nor are they maces.

In the end I would agree with Forthgath that it is in fact a mace, teetering on the edge of becoming a maul depending on how big it actually is. Which is hard to determine given we haven't seen the full length and that Forgath is of.. limited stature =P

BanditoWalrus
Remains Silent

Post by BanditoWalrus » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:42 am

I don't know why Minmax always tries to outstubborn a dwarf...

Oh, and it's CLEARLY a Greatclub.

SRD Maces and Hammers are One-Handed. This looks two handed. Plus claiming it is a Greatclub lets me be contrarian. So it is a Greatclub.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:45 am

stevedj wrote: Btw - perhaps those last few frames were drawn while on a shaky/vibrating plane...???
What you see there is an earlier step in the process of creating the page. Thunt first draws moreless bubbles for heads and body, then fills in the details (last line of panels: "penciling"). Once he is satisfied he cleans up, leaving the important lines and plays with the thickness ("inking"), so we end up with a clean looking black and white panel (like any other on the page). :)

I hope I didn't mess up the terms much. :paranoia:
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Zwums
Of Few Words

Post by Zwums » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:57 am

I just want to reiterate that Thunt makes the coolest DnD items. I would love a book of all of the items he has invented to fill a campaign with.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Zwums wrote:I just want to reiterate that Thunt makes the coolest DnD items. I would love a book of all of the items he has invented to fill a campaign with.
Oh, definitely.

By the way, what's that thing on Forgath's head? It looks like some sort of urn with missing bits and a tusk. I dunno, maybe it'll be clearer once the page gets colored in.

Edit: Here's a screenshot of it.

Weird, huh?
Last edited by Godbot on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Godbot wrote:By the way, what's that thing on Forgath's head? It looks like some sort of urn with missing bits and a tusk. I dunno, maybe it'll be clearer once the page gets colored in.
'Tis a helm!

No, seriously, that's his helmet. In the last panel, it's the top of his helmet, because he's facepalming.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Crimson wrote:Not sure I agree with that definition, (although I will also point out my experience is probably just as limited) while it is true that typically maces has spherical and blunt and essentially a weighted tip to a club, it is not a requirement. Many maces such as earthernware maces are not spherical at all, as well as flanged, morning star and stone maces also typically not spherical.
Although the angles at which you can successfully hit are still greater than a hammer, I don't think this in itself plays directly into the definition.

The difference as I see it between a hammer and a mace is that a hammer, (much like medieval warhammers) must be capable of peircing (direct, chosen) damage in addition to the capability of bludgeoning damage (direct, chosen). This definition becomes flimsy however, when you get to bigger hammers, as such that they become mallets/mauls which are not restricted to requiring piercing capabilities nor are they maces.

In the end I would agree with Forthgath that it is in fact a mace, teetering on the edge of becoming a maul depending on how big it actually is. Which is hard to determine given we haven't seen the full length and that Forgath is of.. limited stature =P
That earthenware mace has got to be one of the strangest things I've seen... ;)

Here are some quotes from wikipedia on both weapon types, so we can figure which applies better:
Mace wrote:A mace is a blunt weapon, a type of club or virge ÔÇö that uses a heavy head on the end of a handle to deliver powerful blows. A mace typically consists of a strong, heavy, wooden or metal shaft, often reinforced with metal, featuring a head made of stone, copper, bronze, iron, or steel.

The head of a military mace can be shaped with flanges or knobs to allow greater penetration of plate armour. The length of maces can vary considerably. The maces of foot soldiers were usually quite short (two or three feet, or 70 to 90 cm). The maces of cavalrymen were longer and thus better suited for blows delivered from horseback. Two-handed maces could be even larger.
Warhammer wrote:A war hammer is a late medieval weapon of war intended for close combat action, the design of which resembles the hammer. Its appearance is similar to that of an ice axe. The war hammer consists of a handle and a head. The handle may be of different lengths, the longest being roughly equivalent to the halberd, and the shortest about the same as a mace. Long war hammers were pole weapons (polearms) meant for use against riders, whereas short ones were used in closer quarters and from horseback. Later war hammers often had a spike on one side of the head, thus making it a more versatile weapon.

War hammers were developed as a consequence of the ever more prevalent surface-hardened steel surfacing of wrought iron armours of the late medieval battlefields during the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. The surface of the armour was now as hard as the edge of a blade, so a blade tended to ricochet. Swords, or the blade of a battleaxe, were likely only to give a glancing blow, losing much of the impact, especially on the high curvature of the helmet. The war hammer could deliver the full force to the target.

War hammers, especially when mounted on a pole, could damage without penetrating the armour. In particular, they transmitted the impact through even the thickest helmet and caused concussions. A blade or spike tended to be used against other parts of the body where the armour was thinner, and penetration was easier, than through the helmet. The spike end could be used for grappling the target's armour, reins, or shield, or could be turned in the direction of the blow to pierce even heavy armour. Against mounted opponents, the weapon could also be directed at the legs of the horse, toppling the armoured foe to the ground where he could be more easily attacked.
I had to use Warhammer, as there was no 'Hammer' weapon page. I believe that's pretty much what we're talking about, though. Notice how unspecific the mace description is though. "A stick with a heavy thing on the end." Thanks Wikipedia!!

Based solely on these descriptions, I'd be tempted to say 'Hammer' is a subset of 'Mace', so any Hammer is also a Mace. Woo, that narrows it down nicely! :wall: Maybe a hammer is a mace with a hammer-shaped head? Which could be applied to Forgath's new weapon, but it may be I'm just making up arguments now to try and support my original answer. :shrug:

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:41 pm

I think it's interesting that although Minmax can't rhyme (on purpose) he can alliterate (and recognise rhymes?)
Last edited by Simon on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Dammit Thunt, why can't I think of this kind of awesome shit when making up magic items?

And dammit Minmax...just...Goddammit Minmax...
I am high in fructose.

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:01 pm

Master TMO wrote:Based solely on these descriptions, I'd be tempted to say 'Hammer' is a subset of 'Mace', so any Hammer is also a Mace. Woo, that narrows it down nicely! :wall: Maybe a hammer is a mace with a hammer-shaped head? Which could be applied to Forgath's new weapon, but it may be I'm just making up arguments now to try and support my original answer. :shrug:
You can google images as well

I think both names fit, but hammer fits better.

Most maces heads tends to be symmetrical like a club, similar blow no matter which way you strike.

Hammer head on other hand is usually meant to strike in one direction.
Last edited by Kore on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.