4 October 2013: Racist Axe

Discuss the comic here!
Earthen
Pipes Up Sometimes
UStream Username: Earthen_

4 October 2013: Racist Axe

Post by Earthen » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:06 am

That axe will also come in handy for Forgath and Kin, should either of them have to fight someone of their own race.

Edit: Link added. http://www.goblinscomic.org/10032013/
Last edited by RocketScientist on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixing date in link - RS
We're all mad here.

Rogbull
Of Few Words
UStream Username: Rogbull

Re: 4 October 2013: Racist Axe

Post by Rogbull » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:11 am

Please add this link to your topic: <Previous link out of date> Current link is http://www.goblinscomic.org/10032013/

And yeah, Forgath better learns how to wield it/get it out of Minmax's hands.
Last edited by Rogbull on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BreaksGlasses
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by BreaksGlasses » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:18 am

I wonder what Forgath cleric domains are, if he happens to have the war domain and Herberts weapon of choice is martial he will be able to use it. Also I totally called it with the text under the items. 8)

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:25 am

BreaksGlasses wrote:I wonder what Forgath cleric domains are, if he happens to have the war domain and Herberts weapon of choice is martial he will be able to use it. Also I totally called it with the text under the items.)
That'd only make him proficient with it if Herbert's weapon of choice was an axe, and odds are that Forgath would use his deity's favored weapon if he had the war domain. Besides, what stereotypical DM would have the war domain? :D

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:29 am

I've got this terrible feeling that Kore will get his hands on that axe and use it against Forgath...

BreaksGlasses
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by BreaksGlasses » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:32 am

ChuckNorris wrote:That'd only make him proficient with it if Herbert's weapon of choice was an axe, and odds are that Forgath would use his deity's favored weapon if he had the war domain. Besides, what stereotypical DM would have the war domain? :D
The kind of DM that can also work as a deity in-game ;) But yeah I guess youre right.
Morgaln wrote:I've got this terrible feeling that Kore will get his hands on that axe and use it against Forgath...
Oh gods :'( dont say it dont say that again

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:34 am

Am I the only one who thinks Forgath mastered ventriloquism this comic? That, or Minmax developed multiple personality disorder. Not really complaining, but it's kind of amusing.

I think Forgath's going to get the axe in the end. After all, he's about to fight Kore, and so a +7 to hit against him could get through whatever armor he has (heck, it would nullify any enchantment bonus the armor has). Besides, Minmax already has the awesome Oblivious.
You know you're playing D&D when your party is bartering to get good prices on the sold equipment of a party member... While that party members stands 5 feet away and protests.

My forum game: The Unhallowed Isle (recruiting). OOC.

Alarikun
Of Few Words

Post by Alarikun » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:38 am

Aww... Kin looks so happy to have the Teapot... even though they can't leave with it... :(

Either way, it's always good to see a conversation depicting how stupid Minmax is :P

IonDragonX
Remains Silent

Post by IonDragonX » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:39 am

Morgaln wrote:I've got this terrible feeling that Kore will get his hands on that axe and use it against Forgath...
Considering the prophecy, I'm guessing you are right.

IonDragonX
Remains Silent

Post by IonDragonX » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:41 am

Loyal Backstabber wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Forgath mastered ventriloquism this comic? That, or Minmax developed multiple personality disorder. Not really complaining, but it's kind of amusing..
Thunt already corrected it. refresh the page or clear your temp files.

Sandalfo
Remains Silent

Post by Sandalfo » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:48 am

Racist Axe? Thank you, that's funny. I never thought I would encounter such a thing.
Yup it's bound to come between Forgath and Kore some day since Minmax already has his sword.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:51 am

I *LOVE* Kin channeling MinMax in the last panel. I giggled at that. I'm not sure how she plans to get it out of the MoM though - with her INT score she's surely aware she can't use it to get out of the maze and still keep it. So either she's given up on returning it, or she has a Plan.

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:55 am

IonDragonX wrote:
The only question about this though, is why on earth would Kore take the axe off minmax? Kore already has his own axes, wouldn't know the properties of the racist axe, and could easily kill Forgath without it

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:00 pm

ChuckNorris wrote:
IonDragonX wrote:
The only question about this though, is why on earth would Kore take the axe off minmax? Kore already has his own axes, wouldn't know the properties of the racist axe, and could easily kill Forgath without it
If Forgath tried to use it against Kore, he would have reason to take it off Forgath. Especially if Kore gets hurt.

There are also any number of scenarios where Kore loses his weapon and grabs for this axe, either off the ground or off Minmax's belt.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Looks like the 2 speech bubbles in the 1st panel of the last row are messed up. One seems like it should point to Forgath, probably the top one, ATM.

Edit: Oh, I hope Forgath gets to use MM's new axe against Kore, at least to weaken him so the GAP can finish him or something. No, I don't like Kore.

Also, knowing THunt, someday I'd like the text of all of the MOM treasures. I'll bet he wrote them all, and his custom stuff tends to be cool. I'd take it as an extra in a PDF book, or as an alternate comic post day, FWIW.
Last edited by ThroughTheWell on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

miados
Of Few Words

Post by miados » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Well they did have to get the teapot off the wall to use it. plus if the other kins are going to be doing the maze and everything resets couldn't they take stuff off the wall hand it to forgoth or minmax and then get their own treasure when they decide to complete the maze legitimately.

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Morgaln wrote: If Forgath tried to use it against Kore, he would have reason to take it off Forgath. Especially if Kore gets hurt.

There are also any number of scenarios where Kore loses his weapon and grabs for this axe, either off the ground or off Minmax's belt.
Kore kept hold of his axes with 3 goblins crawling all over him, I can't see many situations where he'd lose them. Besides, if he can reach forgath/minmax to grab the axe, why not just crush them in a grapple?

Lumenaught
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Lumenaught

Post by Lumenaught » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:27 pm

I'm I the only person that thinks 'The Ax of Racism' is really a collapsible sword (or katana) or at least stretches our somehow?
It just looks to me that Minmax is holding it backward or it can function as both weapons.
(Transformers... Weapons in disguise.)

Alarikun
Of Few Words

Post by Alarikun » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:34 pm

ChuckNorris wrote:
Morgaln wrote: If Forgath tried to use it against Kore, he would have reason to take it off Forgath. Especially if Kore gets hurt.

Kore kept hold of his axes with 3 goblins crawling all over him, I can't see many situations where he'd lose them. Besides, if he can reach forgath/minmax to grab the axe, why not just crush them in a grapple?
Someone with Improved Disarm could disarm the axes from him, especially if they're light weapons (-4 to Disarm).

He probably won't crush them in a grapple because... chances are, his build doesn't include Improved Grapple, so he would provoke Attacks of Opportunity every time he tried (Free attacks on him).

That said, the Full Plate he's wearing, presuming it's not magical, is providing a +8 Armor Bonus to his AC. The Axe, in Forgath's hands, would almost completely negate that, allowing him to have a fair chance of actually striking Kore. Kore tends to use his Tower Shield against ranged attacks, so we don't have to factor in the +4 from that. Chances are...

Kore Armor:
AC = 10 (Base) + 8 (Armor) + 1 (Dexterity, Maximum in Full Plate) = 19

Forgath Attack:
To Hit: 1d20 + 2 (Cleric BAB) + 1 or 2 (Strength, Guessing based on Cleric's usually being melee fighters, and he's engaged in Melee) + 7 (Racist Axe) = 1d20 + 10 or 11

On average, Forgath will hit about 50-55% of the time. Now to be fair, the counterargument is that Kore (who has at least 14 levels in Paladin) is going to hit a lot more often:

Kore:
To Hit: 1d20 + 14 (Paladin BAB) + Between 2 and 4 (Strength, wearing Full Plate & Wielding Tower Shield) = 1d20 + 16-18.

Kore is likely to hit on almost every attack if he is using just one weapon, and gets multiple attacks per round (3, at +14, +9 and +4 BAB respectively), not including Two-Weapon Fighting, which he was doing with his Axes with the Goblins.

What We Can Conclude From This: Kore Vs. Forgath, 1on1... Forgath doesn't stand a chance. The level difference is simply too vast. 14 Vs. 3 is not fair. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that. I'm personally hoping that FMK teams up with GAP, and they take on Kore.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit.

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:56 pm

What feats Kore has don't matter too much for attacks don't really matter as:
A) People are talking about Kore disarming Forgath, and he likely doesn't have improved disarm
And B) Going for a grapple would make sense for Kore, given that as far as he knows, Forgath would have almost no chance of hitting him, and Minmax probably couldn't beat him before he killed Forgath.

Alarikun
Of Few Words

Post by Alarikun » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:02 pm

ChuckNorris wrote:What feats Kore has don't matter too much for attacks don't really matter as:
A) People are talking about Kore disarming Forgath, and he likely doesn't have improved disarm
And B) Going for a grapple would make sense for Kore, given that as far as he knows, Forgath would have almost no chance of hitting him, and Minmax probably couldn't beat him before he killed Forgath.
As I said, Forgath Vs Kore will result in Kore winning.

Even Forgath + Minmax Vs Kore would have the same result. 14 Levels of Paladin, with Full Plate and no moral problems?

Their only chance is teaming up with the GAP at this point.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:19 pm

Alarikun wrote:
What We Can Conclude From This: Kore Vs. Forgath, 1on1... Forgath doesn't stand a chance. The level difference is simply too vast. 14 Vs. 3 is not fair. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that. I'm personally hoping that FMK teams up with GAP, and they take on Kore.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit.
Actually, thanks for that.
I guessed something like that, but I would not have been able to calculate it.

Nice page, BTW.

Hey, guess what's mine!
(And she's still not missing KEN?)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
it's fully funded, and all realistic stretch goals reached!

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm not familiar with DnD stats - can someone explain how powerful a +7 makes an Axe? Like, is the scale on +1 (sharpens the edge a bit) to +10 (OMG lolaxe that can cut through time!)?

EDIT: Never mind, saw Alarikun's equations above. Also, Kin seems to have some green mugs as well as the Teapot with her? Jade Teacups, maybe?
Last edited by Glemp on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:31 pm

Oh, and Forgath's simplified restored beard makes him look like he's wearing a large Senor Vorpal Kick'asso mustache.

That is all.

Alarikun
Of Few Words

Post by Alarikun » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Glemp wrote:I'm not familiar with DnD stats - can someone explain how powerful a +7 makes an Axe? Like, is the scale on +1 (sharpens the edge a bit) to +10 (OMG lolaxe that can cut through time!)?
It's not quite "Cut Through Time" levels of wonk... but +7 is... pretty absurd.

Before epic-level (20th), you can have, at maximum, a +5 Weapon. It can have other bonuses, such as Flaming (+1d6 Fire Damage), but from the pure +# perspective, the maximum is 5.

Now this +5 adds that number to "To Hit" rolls, as well as to Damage rolls.

Let's go with presuming it's a Battle-Axe. So, Minmax, when attacking humans, gets an ADDITIONAL +7 to hit their Armor Class, on top of his standard +4 (from 4 levels), and his strength modifier (+6 or higher, +8 when Raging). So, to delve into that:

Minmax To Hit:
1d20 + 4 (Base Attack Bonus, Fighter 3 Barbarian 1) + 6 (Strength Modifier) + 1 (http://www.goblinscomic.org/07102005/) + 7 (Racist Axe) = 1d20 + 18

As you can see, Minmax has the same bonus as Kore when NOT raging. When he's raging, he has an even better bonus than Kore (By +2). Now part of this is because Minmax is... well... Minmaxed. His strength is absurdly high (higher than rules would allow). But even with all of that... he'd be down significantly from Kore without that axe.

Minmax Damage:
1d8 (Battle Axe) + 9 (Two-Handed Strength Bonus) + 7 = 1d8+16 or 1d8 + 18 (when Raging)

Your average Human has between 1d4 and 1d8 hit points (Commoner - Warrior Classes) and between 10 and 12 Armor Class (AC). So Minmax could cut a swathe through an army of Humans without much effort with his axe.

Put simply, the Racist Axe is... extremely powerful. In a normal game, it would cost the equivalent of 98,000 Gold Pieces (GP). You would not be able to afford this in a normal game (Wealth by Level) until you were level 13. While it has somewhat limited use, it still counts as a +7 weapon, and is thus way beyond their level.