Restored Body Parts discussion

Discuss the comic here!
Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Restored Body Parts discussion

Post by Master TMO » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:28 am

There's been some discussion of the restoration material in other threads, but no main thread I know of offhand on it. So some of this may be duplicated in comic threads.

What mostly prompted me to make this topic was Psimax's arms. It's a logical assumption that his purple arms were made by the restoration device, after an unknown incident that cost him both arms. If he knew how to create these gears before entering the MoM, perhaps it happened in his reality, I don't know. It doesn't really matter where it happened, if we assume they were created by this process. (Sorry, I'm wordy today)

But why are his forearms just bone? Kin's tail was reformed whole. Even 'non-living' matter (Forgath's beard) has been restored. Why aren't his arms the normal shape? When he was fully restored by the device, his arms are still this shape. It wasn't corrected as major damage like Kin's tail was.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Restored Body Parts discussion

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:31 am

A (willingly-chosen) curse maybe? Sacrificing strength in his limbs for INT boosts might work? And curses are always tricky to shift.

Scorvos
Remains Silent

Post by Scorvos » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:10 pm

one question that I have is if Psion MinMax was planning on using the gears to cheat his own oblivion. the device restored the beard that had been lost to Oblivion, and he had built a timer to recreate himself upon his destruction.

Could Psion MinMax's Plan all along been to cast the whole of the Maze into Oblivion only for him to be restored shortly their after.

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 pm

I doubt it Scorvos. There would seem to be quite a difference between being killed and never having existed. His device was set on a timer to restore him in the event of his death, so that he can continue his plan towards oblivion. Once that takes effect he will never have existed and so there will be nothing for the machine to bring back.
All hail the power of the stick!

BordeauxRow
Mutters to Themself

Post by BordeauxRow » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 pm

Scorvos If I had to guess the 'logic' behind it is, if he could bring himself back it meant that his plan failed. (AKA no 'true' oblivion)

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:41 pm

thinkslogically wrote:A (willingly-chosen) curse maybe? Sacrificing strength in his limbs for INT boosts might work? And curses are always tricky to shift.
I can see him min-maxing his STR way down to boost INT during character creation. But down to the bone?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:45 pm

You don't need muscle if you've got super-psionic purple arms instead. Maybe he did it in the Maze with an item from the winners' room (assuming there's no legit way to trade arms for smarts in D&D).

Orga the Strange
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Orga the Strange » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:36 pm

I don't know how likely this is, but I'm pretty sure that his arms being like that is just Thunt's way of representing the Psionic body feat, and not really anything to do with the restoration.
Unhallowed Isle - Gru-Baak Ironheart
Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 - Bal-Ghash Zajar/Mage

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Somewhat off topic, but I found out how Goblinslayer got his wooden arm:
► Show Spoiler
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:48 am

I had mentioned this idea in a 'strip' thread earlier, but this seems like a better place to discuss...

Given how PsiMax acted following his restoration, I have to believe that he has had that restoration gear kick in before... perhaps many times even. He uses it to observe how he was defeated, and make the necessary adjustments on the next run-through.

So, with that assumption, we see in this run-through that PsiMax was NOT all purply from the start. Thus, a prior restoration was also reset. If his arms had been part of some restoration, they too would have been reset. Since they weren't they must be 'original' (or at least, he had them upon entering the MoM).

Corpsificus
Speaks Quietly
UStream Username: Corpsificus

Post by Corpsificus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:18 pm

I remember back when Kin had no tail there was speculation that she would get human legs.

Slithering around you look suspicious in town
legs are required for strollilng, dancing,
Walking around on one of those... STREETS

Out where they walk
Out where they run
Out where they judge other humanoids based on their appearance.

Not like a snake.
Human but fake.
Part of your world.
Misery enjoys company.

Simon_Jester
Mutters to Themself

Post by Simon_Jester » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:57 pm

stevedj wrote:I had mentioned this idea in a 'strip' thread earlier, but this seems like a better place to discuss...

Given how PsiMax acted following his restoration, I have to believe that he has had that restoration gear kick in before... perhaps many times even. He uses it to observe how he was defeated, and make the necessary adjustments on the next run-through.
This may also explain how he achieved such a ridiculous level of immunity (to everything not involving his key number)- he kept experimenting until he found a satisfactory way to protect himself from the dangers of the Maze. Presumably, he wasn't this powerful before he entered the Maze, because his number-immunity only works by virtue of the way his psionic gears can control the laws of physics within the maze itself.

The gears that allow him to restore himself when he is killed may have been the first thing he set up.

BanditoWalrus
Remains Silent

Post by BanditoWalrus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:32 pm

When PsionMax's entire body is restored, he retains his skeletal arms. This implies, in my opinion, some other psionic power that has rendered his arms in that state permanently, to the point where the "skeletal arms" are in fact, his own "real arms", at least as far as regenerative psionics is concerned. The skeletal limbs probably looks similar to restored limbs because of how IME (or would it be IPE, in PsionMax's case??) is described as working in the Goblins universe.

Given that my theory is based on his claws being something else rather than the regenerative gear effect, I'd hazard a guess at his claws being the psionic powers "Claws of the Beast" combined with the Psionic "Permanence", perhaps. Which would achieve permanent psionic claws. Perhaps the appearance is simply how psionic claws look in the Goblins Universe.

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:50 pm

Just throwing this out there; what if human's from Psimax's reality all have those arms? His Kin isn't human, and neither is his Forgath, so I think it's at least possible.
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:07 am

That would surely mean all humans from that world are psions...still possible, of course.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Gamblor
Remains Silent

Post by Gamblor » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:34 pm

What happens to Forgath's beard now? Assuming he lived long enough, his beard is almost immune to physical damage so he can't really trim it. Would that be convenient armor or a massive burden to have a bunch of indestructible hair going down to your knees?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:14 pm

He can't cut the cells that have been replaced, but he can cut the cells that are growing out now.

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Apparently he can't even braid it, or he would have by now.

Or if he thinks he's CLOSE to level 4, he may just be waiting, rather than do it twice in rapid succession.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:33 pm

There's also the fact that you might be WRONG. He only braided at camp, and certainly not in the Healing Potion river. I think he's waiting to set up camp again.

Simon_Jester
Mutters to Themself

Post by Simon_Jester » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Braiding your beard is NOT the sort of thing you do in a combat zone, or an area that might conceivably become one. Sure, right now the party thinks they're safe in the Maze... but they thought that before, and Psychic Minmax came back from the dead on them.

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:18 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:There's also the fact that you might be WRONG. He only braided at camp, and certainly not in the Healing Potion river. I think he's waiting to set up camp again.
Was that supposed to get a rise from me? I hate being wrong, but I'm good at it -- I do it a lot. I'm quite willing to wait and see whether this speculation holds water or not.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:01 pm

Hey man, I'm just paraphrasing Lex Luthor.

Sidewaysgts
Whispers Softly

Post by Sidewaysgts » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:36 am

I know a lot of people are under the impression now that PsiMaxs arms are a result of his psionic gears restoring them to be that way- But im still strongly under the impression it was a klik' arm. All the limbs weve seen so far were restored "back to stock" so to speak. Psimaxs arms however look way, WAY too much like juniors arms (and dies arm has morphed into that very shape a couple of times if i recall correctly) for me to ignore. Gnarled, pointy, claws, exposed bones, etc. So "why didnt it come up"? Possibly because psimax was simply overconfident with how powerful his psionic capabilities were to think hed actually need to. Heck, maybe he never "learned" to use the arms that way because he never tried and never found out what they were capable of.

I really really hope one day after the MoM is well and finished Thunt releases his MoM notes as a downloadable e-book for us to ponder and glee over.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:13 am

Sidewaysgts wrote:I know a lot of people are under the impression now that PsiMaxs arms are a result of his psionic gears restoring them to be that way- But im still strongly under the impression it was a klik' arm. All the limbs weve seen so far were restored "back to stock" so to speak. Psimaxs arms however look way, WAY too much like juniors arms (and dies arm has morphed into that very shape a couple of times if i recall correctly) for me to ignore. Gnarled, pointy, claws, exposed bones, etc. So "why didnt it come up"? Possibly because psimax was simply overconfident with how powerful his psionic capabilities were to think hed actually need to. Heck, maybe he never "learned" to use the arms that way because he never tried and never found out what they were capable of.

I really really hope one day after the MoM is well and finished Thunt releases his MoM notes as a downloadable e-book for us to ponder and glee over.
It's true that it looks like those, but there's no sign of his Klik, and the Klik-Max we do see doesn't have an arm like that (http://www.goblinscomic.org/03252013/).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:07 am

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but it's highly likely that this isn't the first time that things have looked 'purplish' to MM.... http://www.goblinscomic.org/03222008/
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler