10 August 2013, cakes and backrubs

Discuss the comic here!
RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Re: 10 August 2013, cakes and backrubs

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:17 am

Pedric wrote:This does not confirm it's the same scene. Just imagine what happens if
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:31 am

Ruby's reaction puts another spin on the 'love fuels hate' thing doesn't it?

Sleeping Bear
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Sleeping Bear » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:34 am

Gah, I was just about to comment on that :'( The expression of Ruby on the last panel indeed got me thinking, maybe MM's and Kin's love will fuel hate of one or more of the Kinship, and they will be the serpent(s) that become prey.

Probably way off, but I want to be able to say that I called it if it does happen :P

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:32 am

That is a good point about Ruby's reaction. Most people (myself included) had been discounting the Maze from being part of Forgath's prophecy, since it's extradimensional and he's already died about two million times while within it (man...the Jedi are going to feel that). But if Ruby's disgust with Kinmax (I'm sorry, I'm so sorry) sparks another fight while Minmax and Kin are both already grievously wounded, then their only option may be to flee to the Maze's exit...though I guess it's highly unlikely for that to happen without Minmax drawing Oblivious, and we know he doesn't draw it again until seeing Complains.

Another random thought: If Minmax holds the Teapot and says "It teleports to a person I name? I don't know many names..." would that teleport him to Complains, since Minmax refers to him as "Names"? It seems possible to me, since I think most magic items in the Thuntverse were created by the same troll wizard.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:37 am

Alarikun wrote:
Kamos wrote:I think it's rather transcended true understanding being predominately composed of Oblivion to be honest.
The problem there is... Thunt has plainly said that this "Oblivion" isn't "True Oblivion". Now, I suppose it could still be made of "Quasi-Oblivion" outside the maze... the problem I have is this:

Punching holes in time inside the Maze of Many is reasonable... limited number of variables... small pocket universe. Not so much damage it could cause, I imagine. However... punching holes in time, within the normal universe? >.> I imagine that could cause all kinds of havoc.
Would it though? The sword is in one moment and then it's in the next. The tunnel through time is small as fist and the distortions limited in scope. It's to quick to disorient the timeline and extremely limited in scope being isolated around one individual. Even after a lifetime of use I don't suspect it's damage would be much, especially given just how vast time is outside of the maze anyways. If anything I would think it would do more damage to the Maze and it's limited scope with only the reset being able to fix it. After all it does have the powers of a god effectively right being from a gods weapon? And it will only last Minmax's lifetime as well as he's the only one who can use it.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:01 am

Could be that he only gets one more use out of the sword. Because the next time he draws the sword, he's drawing it (spatially) from inside the MoM it might be that it still counts as working, but that once it's dropped again in the 'real world' it just turns into a normal (albeit badass) sword again.

That could work as a get-out clause for having something badass to hit Kore with, but without then letting MinMax have access to the world's most overpowered weapon for the rest of their adventures.

Moroser
Of Few Words

Post by Moroser » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:56 am

What are the possible goals of the alt-Kins in the MoM? I mean but finishing it alive. There is only one Jaded teapot, so they had to know it's impossible for everyone to take it with them. So probably they are after different items there.
Anyway I'm curious what are Kinship and 156-group are going to do now if their goals are in conflict. That would be too much if they could solve all of the problems by using the psi-machine.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: 10 August 2013, Remember me?

Post by Glemp » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:15 am

Aquillion wrote:
Liesmith wrote:(This happened so incredibly long ago and got so little mention since then that I hope there's at least some callback to it, because I expect most readers have forgotten. But right now Folgath and Minmax's ultimate quest is to kill the GAP in order to prevent them from destroying the world, which they came to believe was the goblins' goal after reading some propaganda about the White Terror returning; they're going to get the Jade Teapot to accomplish that.)
Actually, I get the impression that it's MM seeking revenge with the White Terror thing as an excuse to get Forgath to come along.
It would be hilarious, though, If Forgath said 'Take us to the White Terror!' and they end up in front of the Viper Clan.

MM: Hi Names. Remember me?
Duv: ...no?
MM: Damnit!
And then begins FM's long, long walk to the GAP, where they meet many interesting characters and sidequests as fans invade Canada to storm Thunt's cabin and demand he get on with it already.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:47 am

Glemp wrote:
Aquillion wrote:
Liesmith wrote:(This happened so incredibly long ago and got so little mention since then that I hope there's at least some callback to it, because I expect most readers have forgotten. But right now Folgath and Minmax's ultimate quest is to kill the GAP in order to prevent them from destroying the world, which they came to believe was the goblins' goal after reading some propaganda about the White Terror returning; they're going to get the Jade Teapot to accomplish that.)
Actually, I get the impression that it's MM seeking revenge with the White Terror thing as an excuse to get Forgath to come along.
It would be hilarious, though, If Forgath said 'Take us to the White Terror!' and they end up in front of the Viper Clan.
Did I say that? I don't remember saying that. I may have been drunk.
thinkslogically wrote:Could be that he only gets one more use out of the sword. Because the next time he draws the sword, he's drawing it (spatially) from inside the MoM it might be that it still counts as working, but that once it's dropped again in the 'real world' it just turns into a normal (albeit badass) sword again.

That could work as a get-out clause for having something badass to hit Kore with, but without then letting MinMax have access to the world's most overpowered weapon for the rest of their adventures.
Good point...that makes a lot of sense. I wonder if he'll get one of Kore's axes to replace it?
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:51 am

Liesmith wrote:
Glemp wrote:Actually, I get the impression that it's MM seeking revenge with the White Terror thing as an excuse to get Forgath to come along.
Did I say that? I don't remember saying that. I may have been drunk.
You didn't. I'm saying that MM doesn't, and has never, cared about the White Terror. As far as he's concerned, he's on a quest to kill a goblin that gave him a scar - the White Terror stuff was to convince Forgath that it was okay to kill goblins again.

mortissimus
Speaks Quietly

Post by mortissimus » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:04 am

Moroser wrote:What are the possible goals of the alt-Kins in the MoM? I mean but finishing it alive. There is only one Jaded teapot, so they had to know it's impossible for everyone to take it with them. So probably they are after different items there.
Anyway I'm curious what are Kinship and 156-group are going to do now if their goals are in conflict. That would be too much if they could solve all of the problems by using the psi-machine.
But if they are hunting for the Jade teapot, then their universe's Jade teapot was taken to the MoM. So either there should be a bunch of teapots laying around (one for each team that entered), or they each get a cloned one upon exitng. Else the MoM would be violating the Rule of conservation of Jade teapots.

Moroser
Of Few Words

Post by Moroser » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:28 am

mortissimus wrote:
Moroser wrote:What are the possible goals of the alt-Kins in the MoM? I mean but finishing it alive. There is only one Jaded teapot, so they had to know it's impossible for everyone to take it with them. So probably they are after different items there.
But if they are hunting for the Jade teapot, then their universe's Jade teapot was taken to the MoM. So either there should be a bunch of teapots laying around (one for each team that entered), or they each get a cloned one upon exitng. Else the MoM would be violating the Rule of conservation of Jade teapots.
We can see the JT (along with some other magic items) on the wall in the final chamber, so I expect some magic items to be exactly the same in the whole multiverse, because the MoM can't know which group will reach the finish first. But you are surely right, that all the JTs had to be taken to the maze from their universes. Probably only one of the JT's is materialized for each maze run, so only one group can obtain it.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:33 am

mortissimus wrote:
Well they said that their goal was to exit the maze and stay together forever. They also said that they were working on the problem of the conflicting realities. I suppose that they could just abandon two of their three (or three of their four) realities and live happily ever after in one of their realities. Or maybe when the maze resets it will make some more alt-Kins and everyone can be happy.

I'm thinking that this has to be the prophecy. We've got serpents, friends, potential enemies, love and hate. Given the way it's worded, I'd expect it to be resolved by Kin turning on Minmax and joining the Kinship! I don't think the story implies this though.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:54 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:
mortissimus wrote:
Well they said that their goal was to exit the maze and stay together forever. They also said that they were working on the problem of the conflicting realities. I suppose that they could just abandon two of their three (or three of their four) realities and live happily ever after in one of their realities. Or maybe when the maze resets it will make some more alt-Kins and everyone can be happy.

I'm thinking that this has to be the prophecy. We've got serpents, friends, potential enemies, love and hate. Given the way it's worded, I'd expect it to be resolved by Kin turning on Minmax and joining the Kinship! I don't think the story implies this though.

Kin can't turn on MinMax, o:) - I mean reject MinMax and go with the other Kins - that would be too much like Game of Thrones - I hate that cutthroat / killing off good guys for ratings George R.R. Martin thing. :stab: I can't believe THunt is like that based on past experience.
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:40 am

Why does everyone assume that the Jade Teapot is the treasure of choice for all the alts? My assumption from seeing the treasure room was that each team was there to win a different item. Given the vast differences in the Altsplanations and the fact that we don't need to restrict party options to FMKs (or even groups of three), I always thought that everyone wanting a teapot was one of the last things that would be kept constant...

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:43 am

Both #51 and #98 were after their respective teapots. Also Ruby/80 shared the title "Protector of the Sunset Fields" which seems to be part of why Kin got stuck with the teapot quest in the first place.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

BordeauxRow
Mutters to Themself

Post by BordeauxRow » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:11 am

D'aww them feels...and then Ruby comes along

(And soon we will have the revelations about :"when the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate."
Personally I think the friends become enemies part will be about Kin and the gap, and not about Forgath and Kin but time will tell...)

deathofbarney
Of Few Words
UStream Username: deathofbarney

Post by deathofbarney » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:21 am

Huh after reading some of the comments most people are thinking the sword draw infers complains... Although its not completely in his speech pattern Id think it would be more likely to foreshadow psimax's second coming.
ImageImageImageImage

Catmandont
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: Ajrimmerstu

Re: 10 August 2013, Cakes and Backrubs

Post by Catmandont » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks Ruby... Thanks for nearly spoiling a perfectly sweet moment with your 'silent' judging.

The Min and Kin romance is definitely becoming one of my favorite story arcs. I'd like to imagine it will have a happy ending, though I won't hold out too much hope.

That said, I'm excited to see the GAP return; it's been a LONG time since we've seen them.
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." The Tick

Hey! Why are you reading this? It's bad for your eyes, and there's nothing to see here; no words of wit or sage like advice.... Nope, none of that crap... Still here? Well, I guess you can stay for a little while, but no touching. Ok, MAYBE a little bit of touching, but don't expect a kiss... Oh, and don't expect me to cuddle afterwards, either. This is purely physical in nature, and you can't REALLY want something serious after everything we've been through? Fine... 20 seconds of heavy petting, and that's IT! Annnnnnnd done...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:17 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:Both #51 and #98 were after their respective teapots. Also Ruby/80 shared the title "Protector of the Sunset Fields" which seems to be part of why Kin got stuck with the teapot quest in the first place.
Ah cool ok. Thanks! Maybe that's what links all the different alts into this run of the maze after all.

TalksTooMuch
Remains Silent

Post by TalksTooMuch » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:37 pm

"When the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate."

This almost seems simple to me... One possible translation: "When Kin becomes what Minmax is truly searching for, our Kin may wind up at odds with the Kinship when the Kins learn that there is a real connection between our Kin and her Minmax." The implication is that, if forced to choose, Kin will likely choose Minmax over her alternate selves, which could be something they would take great exception to. Right now, Ruby's face seems to sum that up quite well, and previous comments from the Kins which have already been brought up in this thread imply a certain level of disgust with humans.

The fact that this has been prophesied, however, means that Ruby's disgust here may be more significant than just a funny for-flavor reaction... this could get serious.

Also, kudos to Thunt for the beautiful and realistic dialogue... based on his previous posts regarding himself and Danielle, I wondered if there wasn't a little bit of personal experience behind the way Kin spoke when trying to calm down Minmax. The tweet confirming it was cute though.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Hmm... I don't know... I think Onyx is at least friendly towards Forgath, she did keep the spider after all.
Sapphire have shown great team work skills with her MM.
and Ruby, while she hated GS, and killed him, Forgath and MM. she have also swore she'd avoid killing them if she could.

So.. I find it hard to see that go into full out hostility over a an odd love... but off course... Only Herbert Knows....
-Best regards LAYF

Alarikun
Of Few Words

Post by Alarikun » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:59 pm

deathofbarney wrote:Huh after reading some of the comments most people are thinking the sword draw infers complains... Although its not completely in his speech pattern Id think it would be more likely to foreshadow psimax's second coming.
Unfortunately, it shows too many signs that it's likely with Complains.

1) You can see the background through the portal (the color). Compare it to the the area we last saw the Goblin Adventuring Party (GAP). See the sky? Looks vaguely familiar, doesn't it?

2) His armor is now green. It is likely because he mentions the Jade Teapot being green. This is only speculation at most.

3) "Remember Me". Specifically, Minmax says "Hi Names, Remember Me?" It is likely that he starts the sentence, reaches back to draw Oblivious, and says "Remember Me" as he does, thus what we hear.

It's pretty irrefutable if you ask me... though Thunt could be pulling a fast one on us.

Orzahn
Likes Puppies
UStream Username: Orzahn

Post by Orzahn » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Almost back to the gap, I wonder if we will notice any changes in drawing skill and style since we haven't seen them for so long.
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Kamos wrote: Would it though? The sword is in one moment and then it's in the next. The tunnel through time is small as fist and the distortions limited in scope. It's to quick to disorient the timeline and extremely limited in scope being isolated around one individual. Even after a lifetime of use I don't suspect it's damage would be much, especially given just how vast time is outside of the maze anyways. If anything I would think it would do more damage to the Maze and it's limited scope with only the reset being able to fix it. After all it does have the powers of a god effectively right being from a gods weapon? And it will only last Minmax's lifetime as well as he's the only one who can use it.
I agree Kamos ... I would think that Oblivious would do less damage to space and time in the non-MoM world than say, even a single TARDIS, let alone a whole fleet of them such as must have once existed :D
All hail the power of the stick!