July 21, 2013: Checkmate

Discuss the comic here!
RJJ7
Of Few Words

July 21, 2013: Checkmate

Post by RJJ7 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:24 am

I love me a good game of chess.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/07212013/
If a collection of unpronounceable letters doesn't appeal to you, you may call me Randy.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Re: July 21, 2013: Checkmate

Post by stevedj » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:26 am

I LOVE it!!!! Even though so many people guessed it, I still LOVE it! Well done, THunt!

ETA: That'll teach PsiMax to get within grabble range... :lol:
Last edited by stevedj on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

hol
Remains Silent

Post by hol » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:27 am

I wonder if any eagle eyed readers spotted this one coming? Very happy with this as an outcome but I doubt the peril is over just yet, lest we forget there are hoardes of zombie alts still roaming the maze!

*edit*
On reading other threads than the main comic one I see they did :P
Last edited by hol on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:28 am

For he is Great. :cheer:
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:30 am

Thunt could have used the opportunity and redraw that old goblin panel in modern style :/

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:31 am

Oooh, another thought! Perhaps he didn't just use one of those ways, but TWO of those "ways to kill a guy". MM does have two thumbs, after all. Then, would that count as killing him -- twice? >:-P

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:31 am

hol wrote:-SNIP-I wonder if any eagle eyed readers spotted this one coming?-SNIP-
Oh.. many did guess it... half of them will love this update, the other half will yell and leave the interwebs for a few hours in nerd rage...

That said... well played... well played... :)
-Best regards LAYF

knows-little
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: malka

Post by knows-little » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:32 am

RJJ7 wrote:I love me a good game of chess.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/07212013/
LOVEIT so much i love the part when the goblin was reading his character stats and abilities :fume: min-max is deadly mine max when he is grapple range
Last edited by knows-little on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Earthen
Pipes Up Sometimes
UStream Username: Earthen_

Post by Earthen » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:33 am

Hahahaha! This is the page Thunt was so worried about? I laughed out loud and woke my husband. Hahahaha!
We're all mad here.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:33 am

By the way, THunt needs to fix his countdown clock. By posting early, it reset for 5 days from that early time -- it should have been 5 days from noon (well, it's been counting to 1:00pm actually) - early shouldn't mean losing that extra time.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:34 am

My vote: this plot point is AWESOME. He tried them all. The 38th method broke through and worked!

I love, love, love that it's been lurking, waiting to pounce, for nine years!

Edited to add: -10 is definitely dead, so that's the first one out of the way. But MinMax has promised PsiMax that he will kill him twice.

How's Thunt going to manage it? It's too specific to be ignored. It'll happen, somehow!

Maybe... the Kins will restructure the Maze so everyone in it (whether currently dead or not) gets out alive. To the reality of their choice? That would bring PsiMax back -- and he'd have a major grudge against Reality 156.

It would give our Kin back her mobility.

It would also solve her teapot problem. The other three Kins could choose Reality 156 too. After they're all out of the maze, our Kin could use the teapot to continue on with MM and Forgath, while Sapphire, Ruby, and Onyx journey back to her clan to restore the artifact.
Last edited by Sessine on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

Ciaran
Remains Silent
UStream Username: Ciaran Barnes

Post by Ciaran » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:34 am

Last week Thint tweeted:

"Okay, here's the thing. For 9 years, I've been wondering if a certain plot point will be loved or hated. I freaking love it."

I assumed he was going to kill MinMax.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:35 am

stevedj wrote:By the way, THunt needs to fix his countdown clock. By posting early, it reset for 5 days from that early time -- it should have been 5 days from noon (well, it's been counting to 1:00pm actually) - early shouldn't mean losing that extra time.
Hmm.. well... Mine still counts down to toddays comic hours 20 minutes.....
-Best regards LAYF

Jonathan Joestar
Remains Silent

Post by Jonathan Joestar » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:35 am

This is Kubo -level genius. if I was fat, autistic and wore a fedora, I'd be tipping it.

RJJ7
Of Few Words

Post by RJJ7 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:36 am

Ciaran wrote:Last week Thint tweeted:

"Okay, here's the thing. For 9 years, I've been wondering if a certain plot point will be loved or hated. I freaking love it."

I assumed he was going to kill MinMax.
Well, he sort of did. ;)
If a collection of unpronounceable letters doesn't appeal to you, you may call me Randy.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:37 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
stevedj wrote:By the way, THunt needs to fix his countdown clock. By posting early, it reset for 5 days from that early time -- it should have been 5 days from noon (well, it's been counting to 1:00pm actually) - early shouldn't mean losing that extra time.
Probably just need to refresh the page -- you probably got the new page just after it was posted, but before he reset the clock??

Darkpool
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Darkpool » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:37 am

Totally. F**king. AWESOME.

Count me in with those who LOVED this page.

And no ... I did NOT see it coming. At all.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:39 am

stevedj wrote:
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
Probably just need to refresh the page -- you probably got the new page just after it was posted, but before he reset the clock??
Nope... mine keeps ticking down :) no lost time here...
-Best regards LAYF

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:39 am

Changes_everything wrote:Thunt could have used the opportunity and redraw that old goblin panel in modern style :/
That's heresy you speak of! No, it belongs in the original/classic b/w ... plus that feels a lot more like a flashback/memory.

BordeauxRow
Mutters to Themself

Post by BordeauxRow » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:46 am

(Because someone has to do it: Wish he didn't put the goblin there, the goblin breaks the..fluidity of this page.)
Huzzah for the .38 special

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:48 am

I like it - what the 8th or 9th strip overall since it went online.

Good thing he didn't learn another way to kill with his thumbs.

I agree that a reset is probably out of the question. Throwing the body into an oblivion hole is not guaranteed to block someone from resurrection.

Pity though. Perhaps they win and exit just before a restart.

Sending a team thru to destroy all counters would be cool.

I guess Chekov's gun was a 44 this time. Or a 38. Although in real life a 38 is somewhat underpowered, hence the reference to a 44.

GriffinDWolf
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: GriffinDWolf

Post by GriffinDWolf » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:49 am

hol wrote:I wonder if any eagle eyed readers spotted this one coming? Very happy with this as an outcome but I doubt the peril is over just yet, lest we forget there are hoardes of zombie alts still roaming the maze!

*edit*
On reading other threads than the main comic one I see they did :P
"what the hell is chess" made me laugh way too hard.

Not only are the zombies around there are other realities still around, also Minimax has to get out of the tower room, I'm hoping the Kinship lets our reality go free and are content to mess with the reality engine so they can leave together (possibly an opportunity for kin to acknowledge she likes Minimax more then a companion since she would likely refuse leaving the maze with the kinship, I hope...or maybe they leave with our group and add another party we randomly get updates on further in the story), they still need to figure out how to get in the last room, and hopefully no other realities catch up with them as they try and finish the maze. Whatever direction the story goes, this arc is definitely winding down.

Still not sure how to feel about how anti=climatic the whole Psimax battle from when he entered the tower room on makes me feel about the story but there is still a little further in this arc to go, so I'm still holding off judging it myself.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:53 am

Did he... make part of PsiMax's head explode? That's fantastic.

I wonder if we're still going to get to explore what happens if PsiMax, who understands oblivion perfectly, tries to use Oblivious. That -10 seems pretty final, though.

Edit: Oh, and even if PsiMax is actually dead, what's to stop him from trying this again next time? They'll probably have to do something else to stop him once and for all.
Last edited by Godbot on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arkwright
Remains Silent

Post by arkwright » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:53 am

Poor Psionic Minmax; fell victim to a Chekov's Thumb.

Also, that was awesome.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:54 am

Awesome job THunt! 9 years waiting for a punchline... wow.

And the "what the hell is chess" line made me crack up loud enough that my co-worker gave me a really weird look. :P
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin