Which major character dies next?

Discuss the comic here!

Poll: Who, of the following, dies* next?

Forgath
13%
Minmax
5%
Kin
13%
Psimax
40%
Onyx, Ruby or Sapphire
26%
Other main character
3%

Total votes: 62

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Which major character dies next?

Post by RidcullyJack » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:12 pm

So, it's possible that the big plot point on the next update will be the death of a main character. This poll is about the next death, not necessarily in the next update.

*For the sake of simplicity, include meeting any kind of oblivion as 'death'.
There could be splishking of other alternates in the Maze of Many; don't worry about those.
Don't vote for who you want to die; vote for who you think will die next.
If you don't think any of FMK, Kinship or Psimax will die before we see a main character from another story arc die, choose the last catch-all option.

If you have a theory as to how/why they die, let us know. I really enjoy hearing the plot theories, the wilder the better :D

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Re: Which major character dies next?

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm going with PsiMax.

The current arc seems to be building to his defeat (and presumably death). I could very readily have believed that one or more of the Kinship could have bought the farm before him but the final panel with his Minmaaax! suggests that our favorite Psion is losing his cool - this is a bad thing and in a place like this very likely to lead to reduced life expectancy. A momentary distraction and he is likely to end up with a few feet of oblivious through his spine.
All hail the power of the stick!

unkultur
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by unkultur » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:37 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:
If you have a theory as to how/why they die, let us know. I really enjoy hearing the plot theories, the wilder the better :D
My vote's on Psimax, but on a different occasion I came to think about oblivion holes (again) and remebered how Forgath lost part of his beard to one.
Maybe THAT's what really pisses Kore off when they finally meet and makes him kill our poor Forgath:

Kore: Hey! You there, goblin-friendly dwarven cleric travelling side by side with half a formerly snake-like monster-creature someone earlier referred to as "Yuan-Ti". Your style of beard is truly EVIL."

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:16 am

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:I'm going with PsiMax.

The current arc seems to be building to his defeat (and presumably death). I could very readily have believed that one or more of the Kinship could have bought the farm before him but the final panel with his Minmaaax! suggests that our favorite Psion is losing his cool - this is a bad thing and in a place like this very likely to lead to reduced life expectancy. A momentary distraction and he is likely to end up with a few feet of oblivious through his spine.
I agree that Psimax is going to die; too much hubris, too much anger. If there's any built-in justice/karma in the Thuntiverse, and there's evidence that there is, he's going to get what he deserves.
I'm just not sure that Psimax going to be next. 3K are expendable, so it could be one of them; it would be a bit of a shock for one or all of them to be splishked as if they were of no consequence, having played their part in the story.

However, I think it will be Kin next, which makes me sad.

Psimax needs to make Minmax draw his sword. If seeing Kin has been maimed ("You blew up her tail?!? I'll kill you twice!") isn't enough to make Minmax draw Oblivious, seeing the rest of her splishked is Psimax's best chance to push him over the edge.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:56 am

I'm going for Ruby.

The Kinship will likely move to aid Minmax, in the case Psimax does not teleport out.
If he teleports out, the Kinship will be there waiting for him.

And since Ruby is a real hands on fighter, she needs to get very close to do anything, and she knows time is crucial, so she would have to make her move as soon as Psimax gets aware of her.

(While Sapphire might get splishek early in the game too, as she has range and is therefore an earlier threat than Ruby, if they move slowly towards each other.
Onyx is in danger, because she seems to use magic a lot, and I don't know how dangerous her magics can be for PsiMax, and she might therefore be a specific target for Psimax.
Kin might be the next splishek by Psimax it to force Minmax into a rage, thus drawing his weapon inadvertently.
So many options....
And yet it might be someone of the GAP.)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:07 am

Krulle wrote:I'm going for Ruby.

The Kinship will likely move to aid Minmax, in the case Psimax does not teleport out.
If he teleports out, the Kinship will be there waiting for him.

And since Ruby is a real hands on fighter, she needs to get very close to do anything, and she knows time is crucial, so she would have to make her move as soon as Psimax gets aware of her.

(While Sapphire might get splishek early in the game too, as she has range and is therefore an earlier threat than Ruby, if they move slowly towards each other.
Onyx is in danger, because she seems to use magic a lot, and I don't know how dangerous her magics can be for PsiMax, and she might therefore be a specific target for Psimax.
Kin might be the next splishek by Psimax it to force Minmax into a rage, thus drawing his weapon inadvertently.
So many options....
And yet it might be someone of the GAP.)
Psimax doesn't need to splishk Sapphire, his psion shield thingee should protect him from a ranged physical attack. A ranged spellcaster is more dangerous to him than an archer (depending on what spells she has in her arsenal). He should splishk Onyx > Ruby > Sapphire (that's if he can't just do all three at once).

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:08 am

Kin explodes her collar to save MinMax, tada!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:10 am

But he does not know that there are three.
Two ranged, they could be hiding when he shows up.
Ruby cannot, she's a melee fighter. She must be close.
Trying to distract Psimax to allow the others to get their ranged attacks in?

DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:Kin explodes her collar to save MinMax, tada!
I question that THunt would LOVE making Kin explode....
Last edited by Krulle on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:35 am

Krulle wrote:
DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:Kin explodes her collar to save MinMax, tada!
I question that THunt would LOVE making Kin explode....
I agree.

Personally, I (now) think the next page is the 38 ways to kill with his Thumb. It's something that THunt would do. It's small, simple, and mentioned only in passing. Plus, THunt has already said that most of the answers to questions people ask are in the comic. Whether the answer is on a page already drawn is another thread however. :D
► Show Spoiler
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:57 am

► Show Spoiler

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:19 am

RidcullyJack wrote:So, it's possible that the big plot point on the next update will be the death of a main character.
Why do you think THunt would feel some people would react with AWESOME over the death of any main characters? Well, with the exception of PsiMax... and that singular possibility sorta leaves the rest of poll empty of choices...

Hannibal
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:09 pm

We should have an option to vote for another random alt dying

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Hannibal wrote:We should have an option to vote for another random alt dying
Let's not change the poll now, all existing votes would be lost. The question is about significant characters, not the never-ending supply of splishk fodder.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:22 pm

stevedj wrote:
RidcullyJack wrote:So, it's possible that the big plot point on the next update will be the death of a main character.
Why do you think THunt would feel some people would react with AWESOME over the death of any main characters? Well, with the exception of PsiMax... and that singular possibility sorta leaves the rest of poll empty of choices...
It would depend on how it happened, and how it affected the position of the other characters. Someone could make a noble sacrifice, which would be liked and hated at the same time. It would be awesome if Ruby, Onyx or Sapphire died in a way that advanced the plot.

Also, the question is about the next death, but it might not happen on the next page. The next page might be refreshingly free of carnage.

Moroser
Of Few Words

Post by Moroser » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:16 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:So, it's possible that the big plot point on the next update will be the death of a main character. This poll is about the next death, not necessarily in the next update.
I disagree with calling Psimax or 3xKins main characters, because, well, they just aren't)

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:40 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:
Also, the question is about the next death, but it might not happen on the next page. The next page might be refreshingly free of carnage.
Oh you old optimist you :D
All hail the power of the stick!

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:34 pm

I think Psimax will kill Minmax and then, seeing how distraught Kin and Forgath are, will learn the error of his ways. He'll have an epiphany like Forgath did after the Goblin Warcamp Massacre. Forgath will have to begrudingly accept Psimax's apology, else be labled a hypocrite. Kin will keep her anger for longer, but eventually warm to him as she can finally have a conversation with an intellectual equal. Psimax and Kin will start dating, and eventually have half-snake children with old-man faces and skeletal arms.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:55 pm

That's just...) :puke:

I would actually have to stop reading. (OK not really , eeeeewwwwwww!!!)

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:04 am

I'm with kitty. My stomach literally tried to jump out of my belly while I was reading your post, Lies. I might actually have to stop reading if that happened.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:55 am

I have trouble voting in this thread and I won't do so.

Mostly because many candidates have equal chances, but the main reason is I don't consider them "major characters".

As Thac0 said to GS:

"You are not my Nemesis. You are just an encounter I met at the beginning of my adventuring."

Yes, you can prepare your pitchforks because I'm lazy to look up the exact wording. I hope my point comes across anyway.

edit: for all them nitpickers. You guys are the worst.
Last edited by LooksAndSmiles on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:59 am

judgen
Remains Silent

Post by judgen » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:20 am

Hopefully the entire Minmax party so we can get back to the goblins part of "goblins". Why is this side quest even in goblins? is there a plan to tie them up again and if not why not make a new separate comic about Minmax that people can read. I personally could care less about what happens to them and wish to know what is going on with the goblins.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:50 am

Psi-Max: enraged by petty duplicate of himself, wipes & kills MinMax (156), and to ensure a reset of the M.O.M., does the same with everyone else he can find in the Dungeon. PsiMax's thinking is that 'while it's frustrating that these gifts get rejected, but if you are going to give oblivion to everyone as a benevolent gift, you may as who do it right.) One of the Kins (38 perhaps) survives.

One Alt (i'd love it to be our Kin from 156) works backwards through the dead empty maze, over a looooong, lifetime and discovers how PsiMax destroyed his Counter to retain his memories and accumulated experience, figures out how to do the same to their own (or to others) ... and the M.O.M. begins again, but this time, some alt's other than PsiMax remembers.
Last edited by Tofu on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:55 am

LooksAndSmiles wrote:-SNIP-As Taco said to GS: -SNIP-
Who's Taco?
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:54 am

I'd say psymax. Not going to elaborate too much (as other people may have said it better) but it seems about time for him to die!

Wolfie wrote:
LooksAndSmiles wrote:-SNIP-As Taco said to GS: -SNIP-
Who's Taco?
(Also, I actualy lol'd at this.)