26th May 2013: Amazing

Discuss the comic here!
Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Re: 26th May 2013: Amazing

Post by Liesmith » Thu May 30, 2013 8:53 pm

RocketScientist wrote:Liesmith, you expect too much. It's wicked hard to read these long 2-page threads. Probably nobody even saw that.

:P
I had the privilege of being the first post on the second page, and it took me HOURS to use MS Paint to put those two circles on the screenshot. I kept getting distracted by Dragon Age, then eating a bunch of corndogs, then taking naps.

I really can't hear you over how shunned I've been by the Goblins community. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be in my Cave of Shame and Onion Rings...and none of you are invited! Feel free to drop by, though, we have a lot of onion rings. An irresponsible amount, really.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu May 30, 2013 9:33 pm

I saw it. I'll also be stopping by the cave soon. Can't have you eating an unwholesome amount of onion rings by yourself.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Fri May 31, 2013 8:13 am

Liesmith wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:Liesmith, you expect too much. It's wicked hard to read these long 2-page threads. Probably nobody even saw that.

:P
I had the privilege of being the first post on the second page, and it took me HOURS to use MS Paint to put those two circles on the screenshot. I kept getting distracted by Dragon Age, then eating a bunch of corndogs, then taking naps.

I really can't hear you over how shunned I've been by the Goblins community. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be in my Cave of Shame and Onion Rings...and none of you are invited! Feel free to drop by, though, we have a lot of onion rings. An irresponsible amount, really.
Well then, let me help by quoting it again here, very near the top of page 3, shall we? :P

Yes, I had seen it too, and was impressed at the observation that I'd missed. Though now that I think about it, if that cracking is only happening in one spot, perhaps that gripping "ring" will just open up as it descends the tower, yet remain gripping enough to continue spinning downward (at least until the arms hit the flame towers, then everything goes CRASH!)

Liesmith wrote:I think the reason the machine may not be able to convert the matter it's destroying into energy is that it's a self-defeating process: it will essentially be deleting its own fuel, and logically, the more of the maze that's obliviated, the more energy will be required to obliviate more of the maze. It's sort of like a decibel scale.

I don't think those arms are going to actually make it to the fire towers. If you look at the ring to which they're bound, you can see it's cracking as the central tower widens a bit near the floor (red circle in image below), and Minmax is behind the flame, for anyone who had trouble spotting him (purple circle):

EDIT: I inexplicably can't attach images from the the site I always use (Pictat), so I used some random service instead, let me know if it won't show up for any of you.

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Post by bcas77 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:29 am

Gurkenglas wrote:Uh oh. Looks like that Gollumax is about to get whole loads of kill exp.
Just in case anyone didn't catch it, OgreMax is actually about to die, in the last panel he's shown having fallen off the beam and is already almost halfway down. (In between the blue flame pillar and the screw tower.)

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri May 31, 2013 11:41 am

But he'll level-up just before impacting and his freshly refilled and upgraded HP bar can totally take it.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Reads_Forums
Speaks Quietly

Post by Reads_Forums » Fri May 31, 2013 12:08 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:But he'll level-up just before impacting and his freshly refilled and upgraded HP bar can totally take it.
I've always played (a long time ago) with the rules that you need some sort of natural break in the action to level and you don't furiously update your experience during combat and never get a complete heal effect in the process. Last I checked, you don't get a ding sound either.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri May 31, 2013 1:14 pm

What this comic makes me wonder is, exactly how do the Kins know that the gears distort universal constants just by looking at them? I get that they're smart, but even Sherlock Holmes needs some kind of evidence to form a deduction, so what are the Kins seeing that isn't apparent to us viewers?
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Reads_Forums
Speaks Quietly

Post by Reads_Forums » Fri May 31, 2013 2:41 pm

willpell wrote:What this comic makes me wonder is, exactly how do the Kins know that the gears distort universal constants just by looking at them? I get that they're smart, but even Sherlock Holmes needs some kind of evidence to form a deduction, so what are the Kins seeing that isn't apparent to us viewers?
Natural 20?

It does seem they'd need to study it before realising what it represented. I guess it wouldn't have made for a good comic, re-expositioning everything over a couple of pages.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Fri May 31, 2013 3:52 pm

I'm pretty sure that you don't get XP for trap kills, even if you were the one who triggered the trap.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Post by bcas77 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:19 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:I'm pretty sure that you don't get XP for trap kills, even if you were the one who triggered the trap.
That's what I was thinking. But then I thought of this (and for D&Ders please inform me on this, not sure.)

If you're fighting a group of people on a mountain, and you cause a boulder to jar loose accidentally and it crushes them all, do you still get XP?

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Fri May 31, 2013 6:02 pm

bcas77 wrote: If you're fighting a group of people on a mountain, and you cause a boulder to jar loose accidentally and it crushes them all, do you still get XP?
The zen of DnD: If you kill an npc in a forest with noone (DM) to perceive it, does it still give XP ? :D
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Fri May 31, 2013 7:18 pm

willpell wrote:What this comic makes me wonder is, exactly how do the Kins know that the gears distort universal constants just by looking at them? I get that they're smart, but even Sherlock Holmes needs some kind of evidence to form a deduction, so what are the Kins seeing that isn't apparent to us viewers?
I think they're basing it off what our Kin told them about Psimax's plan: The Kintastic Trio was already planning something similar, so when Kin Interrupted told them that a psion Minmax was doing the exact same thing, they were able to put two and two together (to make zero) once they saw his Engine.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Fri May 31, 2013 9:19 pm

Sorry if there is a thread about this anywhere else. Are there any realistic (or amusingly unrealistic) explanations for how Kin might get her tail back?
I can think of, or have read:
MoM reset (if that's still possible with the Swiss cheesey oblivion holes?)
AltKlik does for Kin what Klik did for Dies.
Shield of Wonder effect #07 or #08 limb regeneration (but has any Alt been mad enough to carry the Shield of Wonder into the MoM? I can't remember seeing it).

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri May 31, 2013 9:23 pm

There has been some talk, but not that much. Some of the theories have been a reset, like you mentioned, Klik has been talked about too, but I don't think it's that realistic. The SoW isn't that realistic, because the only one we have seen was destroyed at the Battle of Brassmoon. For some reason, people have started saying that she is going to grow legs somehow. I don't know where that theory came from.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:but has any Alt been mad enough to carry the Shield of Wonder into the MoM?
Yes.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri May 31, 2013 9:34 pm

Sorry, I was mistaken. There is one in the maze. Still, both effects 7 and 8 involve somebody hitting the shield in combat, and I don't think Kin will be fighting anybody anytime soon. Also, even if Shieldmax finds them, and wants to help them by letting her hit the shield knowing it can heal people, I don't think Kin would take that chance. I don't think the shield will be how she gets her tail back, if she does.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:56 am

In the same vein as a reset, there's also the possibility that the Kinship will use Psimax's Engine to restore our Kin. I think the most likely avenue for this would be to either:

1) Reset the maze, while allowing FMK to keep their memories of this latest run

or

2) Create true Oblivion, but centered only on Psimax. This would remove him as the cause of Kin's injuries, and restore her. It would also probably have a whole host of side-effects on causality, but it's another option.
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:36 am

Liesmith wrote: 2) Create true Oblivion, but centered only on Psimax. This would remove him as the cause of Kin's injuries, and restore her. It would also probably have a whole host of side-effects on causality, but it's another option.
No. The cause still was, the result will remain. It's just that noone will remember...

DuIstalri
Whispers Softly

Post by DuIstalri » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:45 am

Krulle wrote:
Liesmith wrote: 2) Create true Oblivion, but centered only on Psimax. This would remove him as the cause of Kin's injuries, and restore her. It would also probably have a whole host of side-effects on causality, but it's another option.
No. The cause still was, the result will remain. It's just that noone will remember...
No, because that's how the Pseudo-Oblivion works. Their idea is that the alt-Kins reprogram Psimax's oblivion machine to create 'true' Oblivion around him. The 'true' oblivion is distinct from the Oblivion we see in the Oblivion holes and Oblivious, and would in fact rewrite the past to account for the changes - Kins tail would reappear. Of course, Psimax's machine would never have existed either, so they could never have used it, so he wasn't erased, so

(BOOM)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:49 am

I don't think PsiMax machine can do that.
For that, the Kins may not be aware that the machine could create true oblivion, as they then would be aware of it, and thenit can not be true oblivion.

http://www.goblinscomic.com/oblivion-holes-explained/
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Vorak
Remains Silent

Post by Vorak » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:37 am

So I'm days behind everyone else but I wanted to say how great I found this issue. I love the spinning pillar.

RJJ7
Of Few Words

Post by RJJ7 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:28 am

RidcullyJack wrote:Shield of Wonder effect #07 or #08 limb regeneration (but has any Alt been mad enough to carry the Shield of Wonder into the MoM? I can't remember seeing it).
I wouldn't describe taking the SoW to the MoM as "mad". In fact, this seems to me to be the perfect place for it. You get random effects from it, so you just keep plunging into fights time after time after time till eventually, you get a dungeon run where all the random effects are in your favor. All the previous "bad luck" is erased, and you just get to see the good side of the artifact.
If a collection of unpronounceable letters doesn't appeal to you, you may call me Randy.

Croabadrake
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Croabadrake » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:00 pm

...anyone notice the Minmax in the bottom-left corner of the last two panels? With the horns?

"See, off-panel-hornKin and hornGath? That's why we're not climbing right now."

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:27 pm

stevedj wrote:Though now that I think about it, if that cracking is only happening in one spot, perhaps that gripping "ring" will just open up as it descends the tower, yet remain gripping enough to continue spinning downward (at least until the arms hit the flame towers, then everything goes CRASH!)
It's more than one spot:
► Show Spoiler

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:56 pm

Sessine wrote:
stevedj wrote:Though now that I think about it, if that cracking is only happening in one spot, perhaps that gripping "ring" will just open up as it descends the tower, yet remain gripping enough to continue spinning downward (at least until the arms hit the flame towers, then everything goes CRASH!)
It's more than one spot:
Since Minmax is on the back-right arm in the next panel, there are at least three cracks in the ring. I would like to see the arms continue to spin down, knocking layers off the blue and red towers as they descend, but I don't think the ring will hold together much longer.