May 21, 2013 Aw, crap. It's you guys!

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

May 21, 2013 Aw, crap. It's you guys!

Post by WearsHats » Wed May 22, 2013 4:11 am

Huh. He weaponized the Engine gears? I wonder what they do. And what they're made of. And stuff.

I do like the way he's still aware of tropes like "climactic final battles."

I wonder why Forgath is still stuck in mid-air like that. (The lines around him made me think he was falling, but it's clear he's still at the same height a few panels later.)

And the Kin sisters - are they looking at the engine, the treasure room, or what?

Permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.com/05212013/
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Re: May 21, 2013 Aw, crap. It's you guys!

Post by lingrem » Wed May 22, 2013 4:16 am

They'd be looking at his engine, because Forgath was directed so that he was facing Psimax. Also, they're in a room that isn't facing the treasure room as far as I know!

I am looking forward to seeing Forgath's face when he sees Kin is still alive!
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Veya
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Veya » Wed May 22, 2013 4:18 am

I am so going to love PsiMax's face when he realizes he can't take the sword at all, no matter what...

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed May 22, 2013 4:43 am

Veya wrote:I am so going to love PsiMax's face when he realizes he can't take the sword at all, no matter what...
Psimax, better than anyone, understands what Oblivious is. I'm not really sure what that implies. If he can get his hands on it, I'm not sure what he can do. Remember, its power is proportional to the level of understanding the wielder has of what it is...
lingrem wrote:They'd be looking at his engine, because Forgath was directed so that he was facing Psimax. Also, they're in a room that isn't facing the treasure room as far as I know!
Good point. Also, they've already seen and reacted to the treasure room.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: 21st of May 2013: Aw, crap. It's you gals!

Post by Krulle » Wed May 22, 2013 4:48 am

Yay. It's the cavalry (the spider being the rider, of course!)!

And I do not believe that PsiMax knows what that sword is. He might know about the sword in the chest, but not how Oblivious was created.
And Thunt more or less confirmed that nobody can steal Oblivious from Minmax.
I wouldn't be surprised if Oblivious cannot be handed to another character, as that character would not be able to move Oblivious through time.

But let us read on what the Kins with their superior intellect can do with a machine presenting all the variables of the MoM to them.
This IS what they've been searching for, after all.

BTW, this page shows that they are NOT facing the treasure room, but turned just before the treasure room into a gap in the wall into this hidden chamber of PsiMax. Sloppy work, not closing the entrance, PsiMax!

- Sesame, Close! -
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Reads_Forums
Speaks Quietly

Post by Reads_Forums » Wed May 22, 2013 5:02 am

I'm seeing a plot of psimax's "gears of war" being able to stop oblivious and MM generally getting his ass handed to him, until the kins manage to stop the engine (in the nick of time of course) and game over psimax. Final climactic battles only work if the hero makes a comeback when all seems lost.

Psimax might not be able to understand oblivious but like kin, he can observe it's properties and make inferences. A bit like quantum mechanics, no one knows "how it works" but we still are able to make useful predictions of it's behaviour.

Rev Dezzi
Remains Silent

Post by Rev Dezzi » Wed May 22, 2013 5:08 am

I'm pretty sure that there is a tweet from Thunt that indirectly addresses the fact that Oblivious cannot be stolen. When he was discussion the new game someone pointed out that Oblivious should not be able to be stolen.

Yup, on May 15 Thunt said:

"Huge thanks to the person who pointed out that characters should not be able to steal Oblivious from other characters! You're right!"
"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon this world." -Albert Camus

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Wed May 22, 2013 5:13 am

I don't have much to say about this update except that Onyx's spider is adorable
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: 21st of May 2013: Aw, crap. It's you gals!

Post by Krulle » Wed May 22, 2013 5:18 am

Rev Dezzi wrote:
@Thunt_Goblins on Twitter wrote: Yup, on May 15 Thunt said:

"Huge thanks to the person who pointed out that characters should not be able to steal Oblivious from other characters! You're right!"
There, I linked the quote.
Although the talks there refer specifically to the Goblins Alternative Reality card game.
But it got there because of Oblivious' properties in the comic.

(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Wed May 22, 2013 5:56 am

So he tries to grab oblivious, and gets hurt by MM. He panics, blinks back to the room, only to face 3(4)K who have figured out his engine and use it to further kick his ass.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Wed May 22, 2013 6:05 am

Thunt's art and storytelling are climaxing again. Awesome.

As to PsiMax getting his hands on Oblivion: I'm quite certain that there was a reason Thunt had Kin explain lengthily how the sword's power depends on the level of understanding it's properties, I have to agree with WearsHats it could be possible he can obtain it or make it lose it's power - although the latter would include the necessity to explain the sword's properties to it's wielder MinMax #156, which I must say is probably impossible. Might be funny to watch him try.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Wed May 22, 2013 6:18 am

So, I recall that ... the sword became MinMax156's after claiming it from the treasure chest with the keys that had eyes in them.

1) I wonder if those keys are still in that chest, and if they might work in the treasure room's locking mechanism?
2) claiming the treasure in the chest might link the armour wearer with the sword wielder
3) we still don't know what the colour of the armour does to the wearer? PsiMax may have that aspect completely understood.
4) So happy it was the KinTeam who passed the potion of healing to Kin156. I'll hope that she trades her tail for extra attributes like Psionics and Levitation (perpetual).
5) Forgath probably is reacting really really bad to the reverse 'little-man-syndrome'

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Wed May 22, 2013 6:20 am

Yeah I envision a goofy conversation rather than a climaxing battle. Nevertheless, the thick plottens.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed May 22, 2013 6:22 am

friedkitty wrote:So he tries to grab oblivious, and gets hurt by MM. He panics, blinks back to the room, only to face 3(4)K who have figured out his engine and use it to further kick his ass.
vouldn' dot be 3.5K?

Now, Now, Forgath...Doze hain't "GUYZ"...Hyu kan tell because dey hef boobies!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Wed May 22, 2013 6:26 am

Oh hey, and are those a Goblin's hands in panel 2?

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Wed May 22, 2013 6:28 am

WearsHats wrote:I wonder why Forgath is still stuck in mid-air like that.
I was wondering that too. Also how his hands are still held behind him.

FleesFromTrees
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by FleesFromTrees » Wed May 22, 2013 7:22 am

Also Minmax's armour changes colour before he grabs the sword again.

Probably tries to insult Psimax using "purple" somewhere :P

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Wed May 22, 2013 7:24 am

Changes_everything wrote:Oh hey, and are those a Goblin's hands in panel 2?
You probably recall that in one of the realities Minmax travelled with One-Eye, because he lost Forgath.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Pablo
Mutters to Themself

Post by Pablo » Wed May 22, 2013 7:24 am

Hi!

I don't think Psimax will have any problem controlling Minmax, but obtaining and measuring "Oblivious" (how does one measure nothing?) will be a real challenge for him. If Minmax drops the sword it just disappears; if he reaches behind Psimax's head Psimax gets a splitting

I'm guessing that Psimax will spend so much time on Oblivious that Kin will have time to explain to Forgath what the Kinship is up to and then the five of them together will figure out how to wreck or even manipulate Psimax's Oblivion machine to confound Psimax and then find their own ways home - possibly even sending everyone in the entire MoM home.

My guess is that MinMax is the one who will finally bring Psimax down with a strong remote assist from the Kinship and Forgath.

Just my $0.02!

kaeroku
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by kaeroku » Wed May 22, 2013 7:30 am

Tofu wrote:So, I recall that ... the sword became MinMax156's after claiming it from the treasure chest with the keys that had eyes in them.

1) I wonder if those keys are still in that chest, and if they might work in the treasure room's locking mechanism?
2) claiming the treasure in the chest might link the armour wearer with the sword wielder
3) we still don't know what the colour of the armour does to the wearer? PsiMax may have that aspect completely understood.
4) So happy it was the KinTeam who passed the potion of healing to Kin156. I'll hope that she trades her tail for extra attributes like Psionics and Levitation (perpetual).
5) Forgath probably is reacting really really bad to the reverse 'little-man-syndrome'
Re: 4)

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. Everyone's always talking about trading her tail, but the only reason MM was able to 'trade' for additional feats and abilities is because it happened at character creation. Events in-game that cause catastrophic trauma to a character (usually) doesn't result in a beneficial trade-off. It just happens.

Like, if you lose a leg in real life... sure, over time you may gain massive manual hand-strength and/or dexterity, but that as a result of training your body to use those hands more effectively to compensate for the loss of your leg. In essence, your additional hand-abilities would be your "levelup," not the result of losing the leg but the result of the experience you gained after the fact trying to function without it.

Still, Yuan-Ti have regenerative properties inherently, I suspect our Kin is not going to end up a cripple.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed May 22, 2013 7:40 am

WearsHats wrote:Psimax, better than anyone, understands what Oblivious is. I'm not really sure what that implies. If he can get his hands on it, I'm not sure what he can do. Remember, its power is proportional to the level of understanding the wielder has of what it is...
Inversely proportional. The less you know about it, the more powerful it is, according to Kin at least.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed May 22, 2013 7:42 am

kaeroku wrote:Still, Yuan-Ti have regenerative properties inherently, I suspect our Kin is not going to end up a cripple.
Except, as has been pointed out, her collar suppresses her Yuan-Ti powers. It's not clear whether that would include regeneration.

Thunt is big on permanent consequences, particularly as resulting from battle. I don't think it will be as simple as Kin just regrowing her tail.
Glemp wrote:Inversely proportional. The less you know about it, the more powerful it is, according to Kin at least.
Yes. Thank you. That's what I meant.

► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed May 22, 2013 7:46 am

Incidentally, we now know that Fighter Kin is called Ruby. So, Sapphire, Ruby,...Onyx? Obsidian? I'm betting Onyx.

Rev Dezzi
Remains Silent

Post by Rev Dezzi » Wed May 22, 2013 7:56 am

Glemp wrote:Incidentally, we now know that Fighter Kin is called Ruby. So, Sapphire, Ruby,...Onyx? Obsidian? I'm betting Onyx.
Why not Jade? Too obvious?

And thanks for the link, I was remote and had a hard time trying to link it via smartphone.
"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon this world." -Albert Camus

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

21st of May 2013: Aw, crap. It's you gals!

Post by Krulle » Wed May 22, 2013 8:06 am

Glemp wrote:Incidentally, we now know that Fighter Kin is called Ruby. So, Sapphire, Ruby,...Onyx? Obsidian? I'm betting Onyx.
Krulle wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Yep, it is Onyx. We already knew that.
Nothing to add to my previous post, except some bold tags to highlight what you should click to know the names of the Kingroup.

And Edit #6: No problem for the link. I'm happy if someone can provide me with links too. I know mobile devices are not made to do that. And you provided the date already, so finding was easy.
Last edited by Krulle on Wed May 22, 2013 8:23 am, edited 6 times in total.