Another Prophecy Theory

Discuss the comic here!
Fen
Mumbles Incoherently

Another Prophecy Theory

Post by Fen » Fri May 03, 2013 1:57 pm

I searched the forum trying to find a thread dedicated to just the prophecy, but I wasn't able to find one.

I was reading back over the comic and saw the first line of the prophecy - "You will die in a great battle with another dwarf." It seems like a lot of people assume that this means Forgath will be killed by Kore. Look at the wording though. "...in a great battle with another dwarf." It doesn't say against another dwarf.

What if something happens where Forgath ends up fighting alongside Kore? As a dwarven cleric, I don't think Kore would immediately kill Forgath if he encountered him alone.

I'm trying to imagine a possible scenario for this, and the closest I could get would be that Forgath and Minmax get seperated and Forgath ends up going with Kore and Minmax ends up with the goblins. Forgath and Kore search out the Viper clan ("...the serpent becomes your prey..."), but find Minmax fighting alongside the goblins (''...friends will become enemies..."). I'm not sure how "...and love will fuel hate." would fit into this.

If you still think Kore is going to kill Forgath, this can actually still work. Forgath gets seperated from Minmax and teams up with Kore to fight the Viper clan ("...the serpent becomes your prey..."). They find Minmax teamed up with the goblins ("...friends will become enemies..."), but Kore ends up killing Minmax. The love for Minmax obviously fuels the hatred for Kore, who he then fights and loses to. Unfortunately this is depressing, because it means both Forgath and Minmax die.

I'd love to hear some other takes on this. What situation can you imagine that would get Forgath and Kore fighting together instead of against each other?

YardMeat
Voices Opinions

Re: Another Prophecy Theory

Post by YardMeat » Fri May 03, 2013 2:09 pm

The main problem I see with this theory is that, unlike Kore, Forgath is actually good. I don't see him willingly associating with Kore in any way. There is also the fact that Forgath has fought alongside Kin and is sympathetic towards the GAP, both of which will put him on Kore's kill list if he finds out. And Forgath fighting alongside the GAP is a lot more likely than MM fighting alongside the GAP. Forgath already knows that their previous fight with the goblins is a mistake; MM is the one with a chip on his shoulder.

Reads_Forums
Speaks Quietly

Post by Reads_Forums » Sat May 04, 2013 6:48 am

If Kin Oblivions then Forgath hasn't fought alongside Kin from anyone perspective. If encountered alone Kore possibly wouldn't slaughter Forgath and chasing down the vipers might be an option, at least until Kore berserks on innocents including GAP. If separated without kin Forgath could teapot to vipers while MM goes for names, each having other objectives.

Vertigo
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Vertigo » Sat May 04, 2013 10:06 am

I registered in order to comment on this, but I've been lurking for a while. Why is it that everyone seems to discount the obvious statement when "and love with fuel hate." is mentioned? The most obvious thing is MinMax's love for Kin, but I don't see this mentioned very often at all, then again I'm not actively seeking it out either. Is it because it's too obvious?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat May 04, 2013 4:27 pm

It has a little to do with there being so many characters whose love can fuel hate and yes, Kin x Minmax is the most obvious interpretation.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Kelten
Converses Frequently
UStream Username: Kelten

Post by Kelten » Mon May 06, 2013 8:08 am

Im worried something is going to kill kin, and his love for her will fuel his hate...
Click here if you want to beat me up!

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon May 06, 2013 8:37 am

She doesn't have to die for that to happen; as we're about to see, the mere threat upon her life will do just fine.

Verz
Remains Silent

Post by Verz » Mon May 06, 2013 11:19 am

About to see?
PsyMax touching her earlier fueled him with more than enough hate to try to kill him the first time around.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon May 06, 2013 2:52 pm

I mean about to see because Minmax isn't there yet.

OnceUponATime
Whispers Softly

Post by OnceUponATime » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:50 am

the serpent could also refer to kin, because she's half serpent (though that half is now splished all over the MoM)

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:34 pm

As mentioned in some other thread(s), 'the serpent' could also refer to Viper clan. I think the prophesies are cryptic, not straightforward, and will surprise us when this all comes about.

nitwit
Mutters to Themself

Post by nitwit » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:25 pm

maybe because i'm tired...
Fen wrote:I was reading back over the comic and saw the first line of the prophecy - "You will die in a great battle with another dwarf." It seems like a lot of people assume that this means Forgath will be killed by Kore. Look at the wording though. "...in a great battle with another dwarf." It doesn't say against another dwarf.
**snip**
while its ambigiious here, when the goblin lady says it
http://www.goblinscomic.org/12142005/

it is not here, when the wall says it
http://www.goblinscomic.org/12152009/

so yeah, forgath is killed by a dwarf, though not neccessarily kore...
YardMeat wrote: **snip**
Forgath already knows that their previous fight with the goblins is a mistake; MM is the one with a chip on his shoulder.
slight correction, forgath believes they are trying raise the "white terror". He regretted fighting them initially, but after reading the scroll on the white terror, he now is actively pursuing them.
http://www.goblinscomic.org/05172010/

i'm tired, makes me nitpicky.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Nitpicky is good.

Further nitpicky-ness: Just because Forgath is in a great battle with another dwarf, doesn't mean he is fighting against the other dwarf. It's possible that in this great battle which is the death of Forgath (not a good death either, lots of screaming), Forgath and Kore the other dwarf are on the same side.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:33 pm

THunt has also said that, despite most people assuming that the dwarf is Kore, we don't know who it is, and there might be more dwarves introduced later on in the comic. This might be an attempt to mislead us, but it is possible that Kore will not have anything to do with Forgath's death.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Elvors
Mutters to Themself

Post by Elvors » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:04 am

RidcullyJack wrote:Just because Forgath is in a great battle with another dwarf, doesn't mean he is fighting against the other dwarf.
The relevant conversation goes like this:
Forgath: "[The hag] said that a dwarf would kill me."
Wall oracle: "Oh yeah, that's totally going to happen. And not a good death either. Lots of screaming."

So... while he might be fighting alongside a dwarf, unless Thunt is throwing us something really devious here, a dwarf will still kill him.
... okay, it could be an accident while fighting alongside Kore. It sounds a bit contrived.
(I have to admit that oracles tend to use contrived interpretations just to throw people off, so...)

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:07 am

When the wall says the prophecy, he says "it will end badly for both of you". Could the "love fuels hate" be the other way around -- MM is killed, and Kin becomes the one with all the hate (to what end, I don't know) ???

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:12 am

What if half the theory has already come to pass? "When the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies, and love will fuel hate". When they rescued Kin from GS, their new "friend" became their enemy and his twisted love for Kin fueled his hate for Forgath and MinMax. So GoblinSlayer may yet meet up with Kore (or another Dwarf we've yet to meet - it is a large world) and they go on an adventure to find and kill the ones who humiliated him.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

OnceUponATime
Whispers Softly

Post by OnceUponATime » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:59 pm

GS is completely and utterly DEAD

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:33 pm

OnceUponATime wrote:GS is completely and utterly DEAD
He could have a brother or something pledging revenge...
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:08 pm

If Thunt rolled like that, he'd have shown the brother by now. Also, how did you forget the part where Kin stabs GS repeatedly in the neck?

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:14 am

BuildsLegos wrote:If Thunt rolled like that, he'd have shown the brother by now. Also, how did you forget the part where Kin stabs GS repeatedly in the neck?
1. He might not have shown us yet.
2. I didn't forget, that's why it's called a Theory not a fact.
3. Although GS was rather brutally stabbed by Kin, there is no -10 hanging over his head.

I could be very wrong though. It was only a thought

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:09 am

IIRC, someone in another thread somewhere checked, and said that -10 isn't consistent. If GS came back now it would feel a lot like shoddy, soap opera style writing (e.g. dun-dun-duuuuun... so & so is back from the dead!!! *audience gasp*).

Groo_the_Wanderer
Mutters to Themself

Post by Groo_the_Wanderer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:15 am

Whist that is true he did have a -6 when he stabilized then HERE we see Kin go off on him.

OK it's with a broken sword and let's assume the first stab isn't a coup de grace she stabs him at least 17 times (going off the sound effects that can be seen) and probably more like 20.

Even if each stab only did 1 point he's long past -10 which is probably why you don't see it.

So yes I agree he wasn't shown with the -10 if Thunt were to bring him back .. well ... :wall:

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:35 am

ok.. memo to me... staying out of the theory threads :P

The Rotting King
Mutters to Themself

Post by The Rotting King » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:27 pm

OnceUponATime wrote:GS is completely and utterly DEAD
To be fair, while I don't exactly buy the proposed theory, just because he's dead doesn't mean he's DEAD. It is a D&D universe, after all. While we've only seen one revival of a totally dead character (Dies Horribly), and while that was an obviously special case, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's impossible for some dink to find a different resurrection method for ol' Treeface. It isn't likely, but you can never be too careful when there's a whole plethora of obscure homebrewed magical items out there just waiting to be unearthed.