The Forest - Chapter One

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Forest - Chapter One

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:21 am

"Well glitter-wings, shall we scout it out a bit? Our bear may be good at making doors, but not sure how well he'd be able to climb down that stone shaft. If it's worth all of us investigating further, Kzri should be able to help us get him down."

Kast tightens the straps of his pack and tucks his cloak in at the waist to keep it secure. Approaching the entrance to the shaft, he looks up inside the tower before kneeling briefly and crawling forward and moving down into the shaft head first. He reaches out to Kzri <alert/follow/food/maybe>, and moves to the side a few feet down the shaft and pauses to allow her room to descend on a strand of silk, peering ahead through what visible light there is to see any details of what might be waiting below.

He attempts to suppress his feelings of unease at entering an underground stone dwelling.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:56 am

► Show Spoiler
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:13 am

► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:05 am

► Show Spoiler
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:22 am

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:38 am

If the rest of the party wants to go down the shaft together, and as long as Kast doesn't see anything alarming during his brief venture into the shaft, he'll return to the surface with Kzri and start preparing a Bear SlingÔäó out of her silk for the purpose of lowering Rian down once he returns to a more manageable size.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:47 pm

Without too much trouble, you all make it to the bottom of the vertical shaft. The passage that slopes away below is faintly lit from beyond the limit of your ability to see clearly (all three of you have low-light vision); the light has a nauseating light-violet cast to it. The tunnel is bare earth, but seems to have been packed to an incredible density and flatness, making it almost as solid as stone.

Search checks, please.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Search check.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:21 am

► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:46 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:46 pm

► Show Spoiler
Rían does what he can to help with the apparent search, but doesn't seem to see anything.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:09 am

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:54 am

Kast spots a faint glimmer among the rubble of the knocked-in tower wall which fell to the bottom of the shaft.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:59 am

► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:13 pm

Rian's nose is filled with the musty, organic redolence of a tunnel through damp earth. Which is a bit odd, since the earth he's standing on isn't damp.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Kast moves to where the glimmer caught his eye and carefully shifts some of the debris in an attempt to reveal whatever it might be.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:52 pm

You find a glittering clear crystal in a truncated-octahedron shape, about the size of your fist.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:26 pm

"Hmm...", Kast holds the crystal out for the others to see, "What do you make of this? Doesn't look like anything I'm familiar with."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:40 am

► Show Spoiler
The bear redirected his attention and squinted at the crystal, but certainly knew nothing of it, either.
He did sniff around, however... If he could at least determine where the smell of moisture was coming from properly, he could perhaps make himself useful.
Last edited by Amara on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:19 pm

The smell is everywhere - some clings to the crystal and to some surfaces of the tumbled bricks (presumably the inward ones), but it's stronger coming from down the tunnel.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:49 pm

► Show Spoiler
Turning to Joyce and The Fey, "Does this look familiar to either of you?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Vualn looks the crystal over for a few moments, then shakes his head. "Crystals like this are frequently used for arcane purposes. I must admit that the purpose of this particular one eludes me, however."

Knowledge: Arcana - 8 (Crit-Fail)

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:24 pm

Rían starts to sniff along the ground, and heads closer to the tunnel. He didn't recognize the crystal, and certainly wouldn't have been able to communicate anything, even if he had been able to recognize it, so he decided he'd put himself to what use he could currently provide.
(Even if he doubted he would pick up anything useful.)
It was still certainly worth a try. The crystal had the same scent that was coming from down the tunnel, in the very least.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:21 pm

► Show Spoiler
"Hm. Eightfold symmetry is unusual, but it could mean a lot of things. So, so far we have 'some underground-dwelling group magically created an aboveground tower with a crystal in it.' Not much to go on."
My long-neglected blog.