Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:52 am

Kroshav gallops over and slashes at the first creature but only manages to hit it once as it contracts away from the blade. The sword leaves a clear gash in its darkness.

Ruby zips up above the pair and hacks acid down on them. The first one avoids most of it but the second doesn't. The acid mostly seems to fall through them and both don't react except a quick glance upwards. Joe follows up with a few eldritch blasts on the first of the remaining creatures that tear away chunks of darkness. There isn't much left of it and before it can move the angel of light around Lurn lashes out at it and in a burst of light it is gone.

((No save needed, it was toast either way.))

The remaining creature also gets hit, but not nearly as powerfully. It recoils from the light as the light looks to continue to burn away its darkness even after the attack has passed. It hurls itself upwards and away from Lurn and everyone else around it into the night. Jolly and Celus swing at it as it leaps away, Celus just missing and Jolly hitting an arm but not appearing to do much damage.

((Attacks of opportunity from Lurn and Kroshav, if you would like.))
Turn order:
Joe -27hp
Creature 1 -71hp
Creature 2 -30hp <-----
Celus -31hp
Indra -33hp
Creature 3
Cary -29hp
Jaq -23hp
Jolly -15hp
Dama
Lurn -20hp
Kroshav +2hp
Last edited by Rodgeir on Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:04 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:37 pm

((AoO from Lurn would be... A shield bash, I guess? Which would be an attack with a shield, so probably an Improvised Weapon attack? No Proficiency in that case.))

Improvised Attack: Shield AoO: 1D20+3 = [4]+3 = 7
1D4+3 = [2]+3 = 5

((Doubt it makes a huge difference, but the thing fleeing will have half movement for this turn at least.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:15 pm

((With a 4 on the dice it doesn't matter, but everyone is proficient with unarmed strikes and you have a decent STR, so could try kicking them as they run away... Lower damage (4 vs 1d4+3), but better odds to hit.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:19 pm

((Considering it's trying to fly up and away, a shield bash is more reasonable than a kick. Lurn is no monk. XP ))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:21 am

As the creature flaps up into the night Kroshav swings at a completely harmless shadow cast by Indra while Lurn awkwardly tries to hit the thing with his shield but misses. The creature looks to struggle as the glowing angel-like creature around Lurn harries it but it flaps out of the glowing beings reach and out of the firelight. The creature almost instantly disappears, blending in with the dark sky.

Indra takes a step back and looks up after the creature. She squints and tries to block out the firelight saying,

"I don't see where it went."
((Two creatures left, neither visible. You can spend your turn trying to spot one of them (perception check) or doing whatever else. Creatures without darkvision will have disadvantage on trying to spot them in the dark sky. If you spot a creature you can direct others to its location.))

Turn order:
Joe -27hp
Creature 2 -30hp
Celus -31hp
Indra -33hp
Creature 3
Cary -29hp <-----
Jaq -23hp
Jolly -15hp
Dama
Lurn -20hp
Kroshav +2hp
Last edited by Rodgeir on Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:15 am

Joe’s per 1d20 = [12] = 12

Ruby’s per (advantage)
1d20+3 = [11] = 14 1d20+3 = [1] = 4

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:28 am

((Long time until Joe's turn, you sure you want to lock in spending your turn looking already? You can if you want, of course.))

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:55 am

(Oh, I didn’t see it’ll take an action, I’ll wait)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:21 am

((@Quarg, Cary is up.))

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:02 am

(Sorry, RL sort of pulled me in too much)

Cary will cast protection against Good and Evil on herself...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:26 pm

Jaq is up!

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:01 pm

Jaq will use try to find a creature,

Perception: 1D20+3 = [5]+3 = 8

and when he can't find one he will instead move to a spot a bit closer to the camp, with cover if possible, and hide again.

stealth: 2D20.HIGH(1)+11 = [11, 18]+11 = 29

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:51 am

A wall of light flashes around Cary as Jaq looks to the dark night sky before scrambling forward to a tree and hiding in its branches.

Jolly moves away from Lurn and the others and puts his back to a tent as he stands ready.

Dama scans the sky for any sign of the creatures but doesn't see or say anything.
Turn order:
Joe -27hp
Creature 2 -30hp
Celus -31hp
Indra -33hp
Creature 3
Cary -29hp (PfGE)
Jaq -23hp
Jolly -15hp
Dama
Lurn -20hp <-----
Kroshav +2hp

(Map:
► Show Spoiler
)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:32 am

Lurn activates Eyes of the Grave and, assuming the things classify as undead, directs the others to their positions.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:53 am

Lurn opens his inner sense for the presence of undead nearby. He gets a vague, fading sense from the fire where the zombies are slowly being cremated. Either these creatures aren't undead or they have already moved beyond the range of his senses.

((Kroshav is up!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:56 am

"Where'd they go?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:03 am

"I can't sense them with my gifts. I thought they were shadows, undead souls, like we had encountered before, but it seems not."

((Welp, thought that was going to be a relatively safer gamble than rolling perception, but I guess they weren't actually undead. Or they somehow managed to cover more than 60' with halved movement speed. Okay I just double checked Spirit Guardians and it's only a slow while in the area, rather than for the turn like I thought, so they could have made it 60' maybe. If they did most of us can't do anything anyway.))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:39 am

((I double checked on spirit guardian so I knew it was only half movement within the 15' radius around Lurn. It would, for most humanoids, be the same as being slowed for all their movement on their if they didn't take a dash.))

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:59 am

Joe has Ruby fly 40’in thedirection the shadow was heading (so he is aprox 10-15 feet of where the shadow could be) and use dragonbreath.

Joe casts mage hand and uses the mage hand to pick up the mirror of abyss.

Dragonbreath [3d6] = 10

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:05 am

((Last Joe saw of it, the creature was heading straight up. You can have Ruby fly straight up and breath acid but it will shower Lurn, Kroshav(+Ealu), Indra and Celus with acid drops. Alternatively you can guess a direction (and height) for Ruby to fly to and breath acid.))

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:36 am

It’s a 15’ cone so it shouldn’t hit them, so i think trying to chase after it would be good.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:58 am

((Okay, I am going to make a common sense ruling here. You throw a cup of water over your head - you are going to get wet. You breath acid straight up, you're going have a really bad time.

It was heading straight up. If you send Ruby after it following the same path, which again was straight up, and then Ruby breathes acid straight up in a cone it will come down in a wide area that will absolutely include them and Ruby himself. I am not saying it will do any damage, but it might. They will, at a minimum, notice they are getting acid rained on.

If you don't want Ruby to breath the acid straight up you need to tell which direction he will breath the acid. I would also tell you if Ruby flew into the creature.
))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:11 am

I'm not sure how that is common sense? I am not sure how it would affect other elements? And if this is the ruling you want to set, then Ruby in theory can intentionally get more than what is in the radius.

Ruby can move 5’on the x or z axis and gain a little bit more hight and have the cone at an angle so it won’t be above him. I’d rather not do all that extra math just ti figure out the optimal angle if it was 45’-60’ above the point it was.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:51 am

((I have made a big deal for nothing here, sorry. It just disappears after the cone distance.))

Joe sees no creatures as she moves over close enough to mage hand the shiny metal bit and Ruby breathes acid into, apparently, empty air.

(More updates later.))