Non_canon page 2014.04.04 - eww, icky

Discuss the comic here!
Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Non_canon page 2014.04.04 - eww, icky

Post by Tofu » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:44 am

And we have a page from the haitus, and it's quite disturbing.

Impressively disturbing - it's like a negative Rockwell, so full of meaning that you can look and look and look at it, and see all kinds of things that come from whats inside your own world.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/comics/20140404.jpg

I know I admire the work that this represents, but I sure as heck dont admire the pain that goes into creating the mindset that creates the inspiration for this. I don't want our Tarol (a) to be going down the path of Van Gough in order to entertain us, I dont think it's worth it. In having this thought I am reassured that ...

1) Tarol has Dannielle
2) Tarol is not in the south of france
3) he still has his ears

However, what do dolls have to do with Goblins, I dont like dolls like most guys who were persecuted by younger sisters, but this doll, eww ...

Tofu

(a) - I hope you dont mind that I have tried to own you just then eh Mr Hunt ? I know you are your own artist and you do your own thing ...not at all subject to the slings and arrows of a rampant public ... o:)

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Re: Non_canon page 2014.04.04 - eww, icky

Post by Tofu » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:46 am

In other news, the countdown says '4 days' ...

is this where I go all non-masculine, and do a little girly squeal?

GetsDumpedOften
Remains Silent

Post by GetsDumpedOften » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:48 am

I think that the most disturbing thing is that the pages on the wall are all of character deaths.

Pjerrot
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Pjerrot » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:08 am

And there it is. I wanted to see the whole picture. It's a piece of art, and as such, everybody will read something different in it.
It's an interesting read, Thunt.

Thank you for sharing.

Chessrook44
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Chessrook44 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:57 am

Tofu wrote:In other news, the countdown says '4 days' ...

is this where I go all non-masculine, and do a little girly squeal?
No, I say don't. It could mean that Thunt is going to post in a couple days, OR it could mean that the code detected a new page posted and automatically went "OK. New page, next in four days." without any regard to what Thunt actually intents.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:08 am

Thunt tweeted "the comic is back as of now", so my guess is another page will go up within the next four days, or at least that will be his goal.

Looks like a Mister Fingers got ahold of a "doll golem" and won that battle quite easily...
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Ghannam
Remains Silent

Post by Ghannam » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:26 am

I'm not sure what's meant to be disturbing, the dude's doll has the LED eyes still on, he just has to pull off the doll's wig and reset the thing.

I figure it's just his night light.

As for the limbs? Who hasn't done that before.

DrinksTea
Mutters to Themself

Post by DrinksTea » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:31 am

My initial reaction: Whoa - terrifying++

You could write a thesis on this page! But I'm not going to. Notwithstanding, I will say it is a disturbingly fantastic detailed piece of art - which I choose not to stare at too long (yes, I'm a terrified of terrifying art!)

@Tofu: Did you mean Norman Rockwell? (Not familiar with his work - Google is it turns out.)

I was thinking somewhere between Soft Construction with Boiled Beans (Premonition of Civil War) by Salvador Dali and Epic Mickey - not sure by who - it was a computer game, but some of the art from this was very dark (relative to Mickey Mouse!).

Neoriceisgood
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Neoriceisgood

Post by Neoriceisgood » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:26 am

What's the pink stuff behind the monster guy? It looks gross.
http://www.neorice.com <- pixelart webcomic, worth reading if you like my art.

Raza
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Raza » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:28 am

Awesome art is awesome. This is going into my guro art folder for desktop background cycling.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:32 am

That is... wow. Is it weird that I'm hoping one day when Goblins is finished that Tarol's next project is a horror comic?

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:34 am

Neoriceisgood wrote:What's the pink stuff behind the monster guy? It looks gross.
The monster's exploded out of the teddy bear and that's the spine the head is on, if we're looking at the same thing.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:36 am

Thunt confirmed that the doll is also from his comic....
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:38 am

The pink thing appears to be an intestine, maybe? "Mr. Fingers" also appear to have suffered an injury to one of his hands (the blood splatter on the back wall). It looks like something done to him rather than something else getting splattered. There is sort-of a Lovecraftian feel to the picture. Is this supposed to be a doll or a manikin? I get the impression of a full size rather than a scale down (assuming the art on the walls is standard sized drawing paper). I hope that Thunt found this therapeutic.

ghostwolf
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by ghostwolf » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:04 am

Too...many...doll fingers....

BiggusGeekus
Remains Silent

Post by BiggusGeekus » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:22 am

As a friendly request, could this drawing be gently moved to another section on the site once the comic gets going? Maybe something called "Other works by the Artist".

I very much enjoy reading through the archives and this is something that could very, very, slightly, maybe throw the narrative off just a smidge. Also, it will be calling to me in my nightmares.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:36 am

BiggusGeekus wrote:I very much enjoy reading through the archives and this is something that could very, very, slightly, maybe throw the narrative off just a smidge. Also, it will be calling to me in my nightmares.
Anything that is not the comic page itself is removed from the archive and is inaccessible except by a direct image link. E.g. previous owners of the Axe of Prissan.

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:51 am

I like it a lot. The lighting color and detail are really good and show almost no sign of what Thunts critics usually criticize him over. To note, I'm not one of those critics as I've always felt that his work from page to page was consistent within itself and for me consistency = good. But this newest post is a cut above his average work. I'd buy a print or scroll of that and put it on my wall no problem.

Anyhow, what's the page in the background with kin and minmax? I don't remember that one...

*edit* oh nvm! it is from the page were kin killed goblinslayer

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:11 am

[RocketScientist ┬╗ Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:32 am

That is... wow. Is it weird that I'm hoping one day when Goblins is finished that Tarol's next project is a horror comic?
Edgar Allen Poe used some of his "issues" in his work, if I remember right. I sincerely hope that Thunt is not that bad off. Still, expressing yourself in your work can be cathartic and can yeild some really fantastic pieces (Van Gogh & Poe for example. There are other less extreme examples).

CheeseToastofDeath
Wins a Fan Art Contest
UStream Username: CheeseToastofDeath

Post by CheeseToastofDeath » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:04 am

I've been staring at the piece for about twenty minutes now, trying to sift out what the meaning might be. Let's see, a monster which is similar to Mr. Fingers which I know is literally inspired by one of Tarol's nightmares has exploded from the doll that Fumbles failed to return. It looks to have been in a fight with this living mannequin, in which it did some damage but got torn apart in the end, and it is about to be devoured. Considering it sounds like Tarol had an anxiety attack, I guess this could represent his fears and insecurities finally tearing him to pieces after a long struggle. The ripped Goblins pages seem to imply that this struggle has taken its toll on his work, but I'm not sure the relevance of the actual pages, since they're all depicting character deaths, and the one depicting Goblinslayer's death seems to have been deliberately destroyed. Past regrets regarding creative decisions? I also don't know what to make of why there's mannequin fingers littering the floor, even though only one hand was damaged.
Glimpse into the artist's tortured soul aside, it's neat to see what Tarol's art looks like if he's not in a hurry. This has some very nice shading and shadow, and the level of detail is amazing. I don't find it particularly horrifying, mostly just bizarre, but that's a me thing.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:15 pm

RocketScientist wrote:That is... wow. Is it weird that I'm hoping one day when Goblins is finished that Tarol's next project is a horror comic?
Thunt has expressed multiple times on the chat that he wants to make a horror comic, but the idea that you can glance at future panels ahead of time is his biggest obsticle.

So this would be a Greater Finger Horror, yes? I vividly remember that character sheet naming the thing that ate No-Kissing as "Lesser Finger Horror".
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:53 pm

I'm just happy that Thunt posted something. It must be a huge breakthrough for him after whatever has happened. Hope nothing serious happens to him now! Cheers, Thunt!
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:15 pm

The doll's hand that is smashed is the same hand as Mr Fingers' that is smashed?
(I hope Thunt didn't smash his hand :( )
► Show Spoiler

Alvarin
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: Alvarin__

Post by Alvarin » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:18 pm

I'm happy to see that the ages on the walls do not all depict deaths of "positive" characters. Otherwise my interpretation of the whole thing would have been that Tarol got the breakdown in anticipation (Not really correct word. Fear is wrong too... What is the word for expecting horror?) of wave of negativity due to Forgath's death. He still might die in few next pages, but this if definitely not directly implied by this latest page.
Two things that may or may not have significance - one, as others mentioned - too many mannequin fingers around and something no one mentioned is hands have 5 fingers, but feet have four.

Arles
Game Master
UStream Username: sir_arles

Post by Arles » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:27 pm

I noticed that the Doll's shadows is also Chief's shadow.