Civilization 6: Rules posted for discussion

Home to all current Forum Games.
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: Civilization 6: Yes, there will be one.

Post by LAYF » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:54 am

Well, as to races, I'd suggest the following:
people vote on all the possible races (even if there are 5, 22 or 2,54 gazillion choices) then only the top 3 to 5 gets chosen, the excessive votes goes to the one with most votes, like in the example below we have 20 votes, so each vote means 5% of the population:
Race:
A) 1
B) 5
C) 3
D) 1
E) 2
F) 4
G) 1
H) 3

Here only race B, F, C and H would be chosen with
B = 5 votes = 25%
F = 4 votes = 20%
C = 3 votes = 15%
H = 3 votes = 15%
then there are the "unused" 5 votes, they go to race B, but as a lowest class citizen (not slaves or anything, just the lowest worker class)
That way we would limit the number of races but not choices.
The race B, would be the dominant, but also the "bottom pillar" of society, allowing the F, C and H races to be the middle classes.
The B race would hold "the throne" or or there could be a council where the members are represented by either 1 from each race, to represent the equally based on presence. or 5,4,3 and 3 from the races, to represent the equally based on numbers.
the "sub choices" would as said, be middle class and a incorporated part of society, no matter if we are good, evil or chaotic strawberry all the races would have a place in society, and any slaves, thralls or others we may have (as was normal even in "good" society back in the days) would not be part of the player group, but belong to the "resources" so to say, and could come from either a non played races or even the played races, but should not be viewed, at least by the players, as "equal"
-Best regards LAYF

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:14 am

I look at that and all I see is noise noise noise. Looks way overcomplicated.

I'll probably do "one vote is X members" and divide X up among warriors/casters/noncombatants/kids.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:17 am

I was actually thinking about this. What if we had the same voting method as last time and the tribe is formed out of that variety of tribes (or possibly only the top 4, doesn't matter). But then, instead of the normal method of character creation, Your first character had to be from the highest voted race. This would essentially eliminate any in-fighting that may happen when X race decides to attempt to enslave, beat, abuse or just generally Lord over race Y.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:42 am

I'll think about that. It does sound intriguing, but then you just have "deviant race" characters who do their own thing anyway. We'll see. :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:51 am

Sure, depending on the superior race, you may still have some players who want to play dress-up with some of the other races...but i think the whole working together thing may be better.

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:50 am

Well, if our biggest problem is infighting, then we don't need to limit people to certain races, we simply need to give the tribe as a group an overarching purpose. Meaning, all of the races have decided not to kill each other for a specific reason, so while there could be political struggles between the races, any attempt to enslave one group or another will be resisted by all of the races as a whole.

For example, let's say the goblins(50% of the population) want to enslave/kill the drow(10% of the population) because they don't like their faces or something. The goblins would be reluctant to do so because they and the drow agreed to work together and not attack each other for a specific reason(Could just be that they agreed not to attack each other, or something more complicated), but if they can rationalize that away, then they have to worry about the fact that all of the other groups would band together to defend the drow, because if they didn't then they could get enslaved next. Therefore, if the goblins actually tried, they would have the population of half the tribe against them. They could still disagree and work against each other, but there(hopefully) won't be any genocides like in Civ 5.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:22 am

madmartin26 wrote:Well, if our biggest problem is infighting, then we don't need to limit people to certain races, we simply need to give the tribe as a group an overarching purpose.
Hence a story arc that spans 10 game years, rather than just hit and miss like with "Ok, let's make her a black wyrm in human guise and drop an obvious hint and see where it goes from there."

Hmmm... giants and ogres are just bigger versions of the same brute... *takes off Giants from the races list*

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:49 am

Personally from the standpoint of a reader, the infighting was a pretty cool story arc. I think the problem was the drow were too numerous, too opposite, and enslavement didn't help either. I like the idea of internal conflict, not just as a story arc, but as an interesting challenge. How you deal with racial tensions and keep your tribe united would make an interesting game. Also I'd like to see it not be two sided. Example: Goblins may dislike ogres because the don't watch where they step and they have to be careful not to be stepped on. None of the bigger races have that problem. Therefore they are not involved in that conflict, though they may have one with them for other reasons. Tensions could escalate when Grum-Grum, an ogre, accidentally crushes, Marg, a wizened old goblin story teller that all the goblins respected. Then it falls to the players to solve the problem. I think its a more interesting game if we have to deal with that kind of internal problem thrown at us, not just be a united civilization against the outside world.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:07 am

Suggestions for Races:

Undead - Skeletons, liches, etc

Plant people - Shroom people (like in mario), dryads, wood nymphs, wood elves (with a plant side) [which lead to the idea of walking tree cities..which would be awesome]

Dragon template - Kobolds who can trace their ancestry to dragons and have the potential for a breathe attack

Sky creatures - Sentient bird people, creatures that are half wyverns, other flying creatures

Fey - Flying magical annoyances

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:12 am

I've already got the list down to 20 races, so I think we're good in the race department. If you've got new ideas for Aspects or Tweaks though...

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:29 am

That being said, here is the list of the last Aspects and Tweaks that we used available.

ASPECTS OF LIFE
► Show Spoiler
UNIVERSE TWEAKS
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:52 am

I know i double posted, but i would like to keep these separated, thanks.

► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:43 pm

Badge's post got me thinking:

Village Defense: Village Defense deals with defending the homestead, and combines the various "stuff at home" Aspects I had of the previous Civs. It's divided up into the Militia Skill (dealing with warfare within a mile of the village),Home and Family (influences population), and Food and Water (healthy warriors mean better fighters).

I feel like this should be split into two trees:

Community: The day to day dealings withing the village
Home and Family (influences population)
Food and Water (health and subsistence)
Relationships (ability to deal with internal strife)

Village Defense: dealing with defense against outside threats
Militia Skill (dealing with combat within a mile of the village)
Watches and Patrols (ability to notice outside threats)
Protection (ability to protect structures/non-combatants/resources)

Mostly this is because I wanted some way to fit relationships in because of my above ideas on aegis throwing internal problems at us as well as external.

Also in comment to badges idea, rather than have it solely rest on certain people, why not create a "masters" mechanic. Have this available to to NPCs randomly (low chance of becoming one) when a tribe's actions succeed, and PCs based on their deeds and occupation. For example if one of the voted actions was to send a scout party to determine what's causing the fires seen in the distance, and success revealed there is a human war-party coming our way, we'd have a chance to create a "watches and patrols" npc master (I'm thinking ~5% chance on success, ~25% chance on critical success). Meanwhile a PC with the farmer occupation has been trying to cross breed a highly nutritious but frail crop (that we keep losing half) of with a heartier plant. If he succeeds he might become a Food and water master. Characters can only be a master at one section although there can be multiple masters in one section. So lets say he does some stuff and suddenly "Bob has become a master at magic tactics." As a master he would earn 1 exp towards the field of magic tactics every 3 months, with bonus exp towards magic tactic when he succeeds in relevant actions (leading the mages in a fight. However, if bob died, his knowledge would be lost and the tribe would lose half the exp towards the next level. So if we were at 48/75, we would drop to 24/75.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:52 pm

Remember one thing Chuck, the more that Aegis has to keep track of, the longer it will be between updates.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:15 pm

I'm considering getting rid of the sub-aspects completely. That way there's A) less to roll, B) forces you to focus more on Personal/occupation/skill/hobby and C) so many variables added together makes for easy beating of difficulties.

I do like that masters mechanic. I'll add it to my notes and tweak it.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:16 pm

And the longer it takes between posts, the more chances Aegis avoids writer's block.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:37 pm

This time it wasn't writer's block. I'm awaiting word from the City as to when exactly I'll need to run for it. Tomorrow I go talk to someplace that helps people in my situation. It may be as easy as moving down the street (which I don't want) or a move back to Albany (which I do, the gas and elec companies are sane there).

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:21 am

I'm thinking about getting rid of the Aspects and Sub-trees altogether and rolling 2d100 for actions, with an 80+ succeeding (modified of course by bonuses for occupation/skill/hobby). What do you guys think?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:40 am

^not to speak for him, but having spoken with him.

I believe the attempt is to withdraw aspects but at the same time making occupation/skill/hobby more user friendly.

Personally, I'm all for removing Aspects and making the stats more usable...so, i vote yes

D34dlock
Is Heard Often

Post by D34dlock » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:03 am

I'm for it. Math below.

Average 1d100 roll would be 50.5. Average 2d100 roll would be 101 tending towards between 50 & 150. Add bonuses & that should have a higher success rate. Bonuses would have to be higher to effect the result meaningfully. So 101 for 50/50 chance. +80 difficulty being easy or a light challenge? As it is your proposed rule would lead to a faster building game. This means a Bigger & Bolder game is possible.

It'll have a different vibe. Should be lots of fun if your ready for it.
I'm still reading shifters.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:10 am

well...bonuses are the aspects...so if you removed the aspects, you would lose bonuses, depending on how he would rewrite the rules to this new format...

Also, note that removing aspects makes less rolls and/or things to remember/forget for aegis which also potentially means a faster game.

With current updates, the further along we get (progression/growth) the more rolls he has to make which slows down the entire process. So I'm in the hopes that removing Aspects, removes some of that ever-growing workload from him.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:18 am

I'm the exact opposite. I like the aspects/sub-aspects. I just feel they should be more directional rather than a little of everything. Choosing one forsakes another, and therefore determines what the tribe is good or bad at. More driven by our actions rather than where we spend xp. Also if the rolls were too easy with too many variables, then either it needs to be more selective on which variables should take effect for any given roll, or difficulty needs to be adjusted to be harder. Also you say a generic 80+ succeeds but shouldn't success be variable to the given task? Carting supplies down the road shouldn't be as difficult as moving mountains. Could be I'm just reading it wrong though.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:22 am

I think that is obvious chuck...Knowing Aegis, I think difficulty will be more of a sliding scale than a simple 80 pass/fail...i could also be wrong..

but again, take it from someone who has sat through 2 CIVs, at first they go really fast and update at least once a day if not faster....then as time passes it slows down..and i think part of that is an ever-increasing amount of rolls that he has to make and information that he has to keep track of.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:24 am

Not so much an increasing number of rolls. As the Civilization gets stable, it sometimes becomes less interesting until I can get storylines in mind/making something interesting up, and thus I slow down. This one will have a 10-year thread passing through it so I'll update regularly no problem.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:28 am

I stand sit corrected

(i am sitting)