29 september 2013 my precious...

Discuss the comic here!
stevedj
Voices Opinions

Re: 29 september 2013 my precious...

Post by stevedj » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:59 am

turtlemonkey wrote:2. Realizing that somehow the necklace is tied to her feelings for Minmax, she dumps the necklace into one of the oblivion holes. Thus forgetting that the necklace was given and both forgetting the feelings for each other. Now, while not completely full proof, since Kin realized Minmax had pants in a prior comic even after he threw them into the hole. There isn't anything really able to jog memory that Kin used to have a necklace, such as Minmax never wearing pants would do.
Corpsificus wrote:Perhaps Ruby will set the gears to have Kin forget her memories when the maze resets. She could trigger a reset and try to kill Forgath and Minmax early in their run before KinMax can blossom. She could offer the lone Kin an opportunity to team up.
Ok, I kind of have a blend of these ideas, and something that I don't see has been suggested yet ... something even MORE evil... :'(
  1. Ruby tosses the necklace into oblivion.
  2. Ken (our Kin) and MM forget about the necklace, of course.
  3. Ken convinces MM (and Forgath) to go home without her for now, because when she exits the maze, it will be "at the same time", so in their mind MM won't really have to "wait" for her.
  4. Ruby changes the gears so that Ken's memory is LOST upon reset. Could Ruby even cause more memory to be lost? (forget about MM and Forgath completely?)
  5. Ruby SAID they would work for a day or two before resetting -- but, what if she secretly means just a few MINUTES. So, as soon as MM and Forgath leave, she IMMEDIATELY resets the maze! <-- This is the real EVIL part :'(
  6. Now Ken's first memories are of her entering the maze -- under the direction of MM, who isn't there! Did he trick her? Abandon her? She doesn't know, but being in the maze ALONE really affects her mind.
  7. Tri-Kins proceed in a direct path to meet up with Ken, and they become a 4-some.
By the way, something to consider - if Ruby does intent to cast the necklace into oblivion, that suggests to us that EVERYTHING lost to oblivion does NOT come back upon maze reset. That is a very sad prospect for those that have already lost party members to oblivion.

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:50 am

Has anyone considered that Ruby will try and use the machine to put the necklace into true oblivion? After all, Psimax had all the equations sorted but one to obliviate (oblivify?) the entire maze, so wouldn't it be much easier to oblivify (obliviate?) one thing?

IMLRG
Remains Silent

Post by IMLRG » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:46 am

WHAT IF.

1. The necklace being chucked into an oblivion hole did erase Kin's memory of liking Minmax? This means that Kin's affections were based solely on a single object, and was not in fact true affection. And then MM would still be himself, and would probably make ANOTHER necklace to give her, starting the process over again.

2. MM sees the necklace missing, thinks Kin hates him again, and becomes mad? There would be drama and bullcrap for exactly 2 seconds, until either Kin or Forgath tells him that it got lost accidentally. I think he'd understand. Honestly, I see this whole taking the necklace by Ruby thing as petty. Unless....

2. That necklace is NOT our Kin's. That necklace is, in fact, RUBY'S necklace? The necklace seems to be attacked to our Kin's collar right now. Can it even be removed now? Anyway, this means that Ruby had a MM that was lovey-dovey towards her, and somehow, the relationship went sour. Or maybe Ruby is a future version of our Kin, and she already knows what happened in our Kin's future?

Speaking of Kin's collar....

3. One of Kin's spells that is being bound up by her collar is a Teleport spell of some sort, and this treasure room holds a way to remove said collar. OR, alternately, she will try to remove her collar in the Maze, where she can just simply respawn with her party if things go FUBAR and remember what happened, so she can not remove it next time. Kin can then snag the Teapot, gather her friends around, and teleport everyone out.

But what happens to the other Kin?

4. The other Kins fail 2,000,000 times, and are driven insane by having to do the same thing again and again, as WELL as being killed that many times. That'd drive me crazy.

Just food for thought.

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:52 am

Okay, can Kin please realize what Ruby's done, then go after her and experiment with how a supernaturally tough tail helps in combat? Please? Because that was cold right there, and I really don't want her to throw that necklace into an oblivion hole. At the very least, I would hope Kin would realize that something was missing because she brought it up in her last conversation with Ruby, but I'm not sure if that would be before or after it got oblivion'd.
You know you're playing D&D when your party is bartering to get good prices on the sold equipment of a party member... While that party members stands 5 feet away and protests.

My forum game: The Unhallowed Isle (recruiting). OOC.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:39 am

I am reading these comments in hope, hope that someone rubs the nasty out of my instinctive feelings of how this is going to end, and just want to say "Thank you and please keep trying" to everyone who is or has tried to prove how wrong I must have been. I sincerely wish I get proven wrong.

I just wish one of you could explain the prophecy away, or at least explain away that part that says "Love turns to hate", which just seems, in my pessimistic brain, to point that MinMax and Kin, the only ones we know of who love, will turn to hate.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:59 am

Actually, the prophecy says 'love will fuel hate', not 'love turns to hate'. It could be that their love fuels someone else's hatred quite easily.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/12082009/
Talking Wall wrote:When the serpent becomes your prey,
friends will become enemies
and love will fuel hate.

Earthen
Pipes Up Sometimes
UStream Username: Earthen_

Post by Earthen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:02 am

Veya wrote:In the chance that Kin realize the necklace is gone before Ruby can do anything with it... with who the other two Kins would side?(assuming the situation is big enough to call everyone's attention) I could see Sapphire siding with Kin, but Onyx I am not sure... she does have a crush on Ruby and all.
It would also be interesting to see whether Sapphire or Onyx would support Ruby's decision to obliviate the necklace, unless Ruby managed to do it without their knowledge.

Also, good point, Master TMO.
We're all mad here.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:37 am

turtlemonkey wrote:2. Realizing that somehow the necklace is tied to her feelings for Minmax, she dumps the necklace into one of the oblivion holes. Thus forgetting that the necklace was given and both forgetting the feelings for each other. Now, while not completely full proof, since Kin realized Minmax had pants in a prior comic even after he threw them into the hole. There isn't anything really able to jog memory that Kin used to have a necklace, such as Minmax never wearing pants would do.
Aw, that's totally gonna happen. Good thinking.

onigame
Remains Silent

Post by onigame » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:50 am

I guess I'm the only one who had a completely different interpretation, which is that that isn't our Kin's necklace, but rather it's Ruby's necklace, which for some reason she's been hiding all this time and didn't want to show anyone else even though she occasionally holds on to it occasionally to reminder herself of ... something.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:57 am

spiderwrangler wrote:IF Ruby tosses it in an O-hole, I don't think that Thunt will have that negate any feelings between MK. The general consensus/assumption is that those two crazy kids are moving towards 'seeing' one another, and with 'I see you' being brought up during T & D's proposal/engagement, there is a even more personal tie to this aspect of the story. It's the relationship that matters, not objects. To treat it otherwise would cast doubt on his own personal relationship. Not to say that there might not be short term drama, but love wins in the end.
Given that Thunt apparently has taken to liking the, erm, stuff on the emo side, I have to agree.

Still, why are there more doors in the treasure room? Are there more exits from the Maze than the teleporter, or are these alternate routes to reaching the treasure room, bypassing the tower room?

Earthen
Pipes Up Sometimes
UStream Username: Earthen_

Post by Earthen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:04 pm

In response to Onigame, we won't have absolute proof that Kin's necklace has been removed until she faces us again. However, since know that Ruby's Minmax did not defend her against Dellyn, I believe it is unlikely that she would have such a necklace of her own.

On another note, Ruby must possess incredible dexterity to have removed it without Kin's knowledge. Maybe she took a level in thief as well as fighter.
We're all mad here.

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:22 pm

BordeauxRow wrote:And is ruby crossing her fingers in the last panel ?
extrabigmehdi wrote:Just noticed that Ruby was crossing her finger which means that she is expecting something to happen...
As in "Keep your fingers crossed" or "Hope this works"? Possible. But more likely is that her last statement is a lie.
Her last statement was "I wish you all the best." She is not wishing Kin "all the best", but quite the contrary. Why?
Does she consider Kin156 a race-traitor? We don't know enough about her to know she ISN'T a f*****t, nor do we know much about the origin of Y***-*i in THuntSpace (the set of all THuntWorlds, which includes the MoM, all the MoM realities, and the world in which a nerdy fellow named Herbert DMs (at least one) game for (at least two) friends (or siblings)), but even if it was a magical (or otherwise) hybridization of serpents and humans, she probably doesn't consider EITHER parent stock her equal.
She COULD be jealous, but I think, given the previous evidence, it would be more likely that she was jealous of Kin156's state of healing and coping than of her relationship with a (shudder) male human, regardless of how "charismatic" he is.
And anyway, it almost looks to me more like she is preparing to snap her fingers, as in satisfaction over having succeeded in some scheme rather than crossing them. Which would mean she expects whatever the result of stealing the necklace will be to happen as soon as Kin156 passes through that door.

Ikul
Remains Silent

Post by Ikul » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:34 pm

No no no no no no no no no no NO NO.

...yes.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Simon_Jester wrote:What if she sincerely believes that the necklace must be cursed or something to make Kin do this?
Then she should know it isn't now, because she didn't need a Remove Curse to get it off.
WearsHats wrote:Too lazy to check : Has anyone mentioned that this page was posted on Thunt's birthday? He celebrated his birthday by stealing Kin's birthday present! Not cool Thunt. Not cool.
That makes the thread title more appropriate.

Baeronvonbleat
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Baeronvonbleat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Well it seems ironic that Ruby said "You where two necklaces that can control your actions", and she's going to prove how the second necklace works.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:58 pm

Hmm..
To all those who thinks it might be her own necklaces that she have been hiding.. as much as I'd love for that to be true... Ruby killed her MM back at the tavern when he met GS. so her MM could not have made her one..
"After Minimax and Forgath Joined up with Dellyn (having no problem with kin's horrible situation), Kin used the change to her advantage and managed escaped by killing the two men and the dwarf."
info:http://www.goblinscomic.org/comics/20130731.jpg
-Best regards LAYF

Greg
Remains Silent

Post by Greg » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:I don't see what swiping the necklace will do. Our Kin is way too intelligent to let a mere bauble (and not even a Shiny Thing, at that) get in the way of her friendship to Minmax.

Well...it *is* a way to make sure Kin will return....

Querzis
Remains Silent

Post by Querzis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Earthen wrote:It would also be interesting to see whether Sapphire or Onyx would support Ruby's decision to obliviate the necklace, unless Ruby managed to do it without their knowledge.
Honestly, I think Sapphire wont support ANY of Ruby decisions once the maze reset. Remember that the only reason she forgot about her Minmax and Forgath is cause they died. That wont be the case once the maze reset and its very likely that Sapphire actually like her Forgath and Minmax considering her backstory.

Hell, for all we know, Ruby is the one who killed her Forgath and Minmax.

Miryafa
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Miryafa

Post by Miryafa » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:36 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:Congratulations, Minmax...you have selected The Ultimate Spatula as your one and only magic item from this dungeon crawl...It gives characters with the Chef Prestige class a +10 on all survival skill rolls to cook a tasty omelette, no matter what kind of eggs are used!
Nah, when I wanted one of my players to take a more optimized weapon, I described it in a way that it looked badass. I bet this one has reach and opens up to 10' long whenever it's swung - that's the first thing that occurred to me when I saw it, and it'd be pretty cool.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Querzis wrote:
Earthen wrote:It would also be interesting to see whether Sapphire or Onyx would support Ruby's decision to obliviate the necklace, unless Ruby managed to do it without their knowledge.
Honestly, I think Sapphire wont support ANY of Ruby decisions once the maze reset. Remember that the only reason she forgot about her Minmax and Forgath is cause they died. That wont be the case once the maze reset and its very likely that Sapphire actually like her Forgath and Minmax considering her backstory.

Hell, for all we know, Ruby is the one who killed her Forgath and Minmax.
Ouch. That would be awkward.

Sapphire must know about her own tattoos, right? Shouldn't she be wondering if she's lost people she doesn't remember? Or does she not remember the point of the tattoos? Do Ruby & Onyx know the point of them? Brain... Broken... :shudder:

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:51 pm

The Altsplanation was fairly clear, I thought, on the fact that Sapphire isn't aware of her own condition, but Ruby and Onyx have probably figured it out. Thunt points out exactly how messed up this is, and I strongly suspect a Chekhov's Gun.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Hmm. I wonder what happens if a person tries to take 2 items from the room. Is it simply not allowed? (A shield appears that blocks the item off until the person take their hand away, or the item become intangible) or does it trigger a more severe response? (Taking more than 1 item may result in loss of body parts, teleportation of all your bodily fluids outside the body, forced transfiguration, or death. Please consult your cleric before using MoM.)

Or the consistent fan theory of the statue coming to life might actually hold some water.
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:23 am

Ah, OK. I went back and read Sapphire's altsplanation. Yeah, it does say she doesn't know that she's ever killed anyone, or known anyone who died. It doesn't say whether or not she remembers or realizes that she has a tattoo of Forget Dead.

BanditoWalrus
Remains Silent

Post by BanditoWalrus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:03 am

Sorcerer-Kin says there's no point in taking loot for the Kins-Only party...

But why doesn't she, and the rest of the Kins, simply take treasure to give to FMK, thus doubling the loot??

Also, I must wonder if Ruby-Kin is intellegent enough to understand the psionic gears, why is it she is so stupid when it comes to quantum physics?? Infinite realities allows for universes where humans and dwarves are anywhere from Good to Evil, Chaotic to Lawful. Why on earth would she assume that humans and dwarves are as evil on an INFINITE number of UNIVERSES, as they are on her own universe?? She's a complete idiot. :P
Last edited by BanditoWalrus on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:11 am

raaabr wrote:Hmm. I wonder what happens if a person tries to take 2 items from the room. Is it simply not allowed? (A shield appears that blocks the item off until the person take their hand away, or the item become intangible) or does it trigger a more severe response? (Taking more than 1 item may result in loss of body parts, teleportation of all your bodily fluids outside the body, forced transfiguration, or death. Please consult your cleric before using MoM.)

Or the consistent fan theory of the statue coming to life might actually hold some water.
Could be that on taking the second, the first 'ports back to its original location. This could also answer the question of why 3k don't take stuff and give them to MFK, doubling their loot. Until they actually leave the Maze, touching a second prize makes the first disappear, whether they take it from the shelf or someone else hands it to them. But, we'll see. If Ruby lets things get that far.