September 19, 2013: Ding Ding

Discuss the comic here!
Orzahn
Likes Puppies
UStream Username: Orzahn

Re: September 19, 2013: Ding Ding

Post by Orzahn » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:09 am

Don't you just hate it when the winner of a game keeps stalling.
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

Tarnagh
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Tarnagh » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:09 am

Minmax tossed Psimax so hard, he bounced twice! And so much better than outright killing him... Psimax is forced to live out his miserable existence. A literal fate worse than death.

And having an inter-dimensional, highly intelligent psion with a grudge may make an interesting story line later.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:05 am

I hope we don't see Psimax back later. He's an interesting enemy, but we need to move on to bigger and badder things.
Someone has to sort out Kore, Duv, Junior and whatever new beastly thing lurks in the Depths of the Dragon's Maw crawl. Maybe then there's the wizard responsible for making parts of Dellyn Goblinslayer into magical wood.
Plenty more bigger badder things than a Psion who was only powerful because he had the cheat codes to the (local) universe.

Kennerly
Mutters to Themself

Post by Kennerly » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:08 am

Huh. How come Forgoth's restored beard glows, but Kin's tail doesn't?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:10 am

I guess its because Forgaths IME is a lighter cream/white/brown color as opposed to kins green IME
-Best regards LAYF

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:16 am

Not seeing a glowy tail. Well, regenerated hair is less dense than regenerated tail, so it's refractive index is correspondingly...
Nah, who knows? Probably just a glitch. I wondered about the brightness of colour, but we can see Sapphire's dark blue tattoo through the magic glass (and Onyx's eye- and cheek-markings).

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:27 am

Hmm.. true.. contrast maybe? or maybe Thunt just like the image of a Kin with a stomach mouth.... num num num num....
-Best regards LAYF

wyrmbear
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by wyrmbear » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:50 am

For those assuming MinMax is too dumb to think of this, he's not. Minmax is not smart, Minmax is also unwise, 'tis true.

Minmax is not stupid though. He is capable of stringing two thoughts together in cause-and-effect patterns. Especially given things in-game to work with.

He was told by Psimax the entire plan, and the reasons for it - in fact, Psimax broke out the crayons to explain it to him. He knows that the ONLY goal Psimax has is to de-exist himself. Minmax can relate to this, as Minmax's ONLY goal is to protect his own. Seriously, he doesn't have any other overriding concerns or desires. Even his "vow of revenge" on the Goblins has been pretty much swept under the rug as far as he's concerned. All of the MinMax variants we've seen have this same character flaw, a single mindedness towards being the best at "whatever" they've chosen to be the best at (which is the definition of his name).

Knowing Psimax's sole reason for being makes it excessively easy for MinMax to decide what to do. Stop him. There's no great or deep thought at all in the way he does it either, it's simply the easiest and most expedient way of doing it through the application of brute force to the matter. As mentioned before, it's the Gordian Knot all over again. The great thinkers and wisemen (Kins and Forgath) are ready to freak out over Psimax because they're overthinking the matter.

Oh, and for Thunt...I cheered out loud. Congratulations, over the whole FMK storyline, you have now made me cry, laugh maniacally, and cheer - all at my desk at work. They think I'm crazy here.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:48 am

My guess as to what happens next: Minmax and Forgath use the Jade Teapot to travel to Complains of Names, and Kin joins the Kinship for one more run through the maze of many as a separate reality number, to get the teapot and exit.

So Forgath and Minmax will appear in front of GAP, while at the same instant, Kin will exit the maze back at the entrance (actually, she could have run the maze many times with the Kinship, since she knows whenever she finishes, she will exit at the exact instant she entered, and maybe she even brings the Kinship with her, and Onyx, being a high enough level sorceress by then to have teleport or maybe even Wish, can get her back to Forgath and Minmax in time to say "No, Minmax! Don't kill those Goblins...those are the good ones I told you about!")
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:12 am

And while Minmax may not be smart, doing what he did is actually a simple line of logic, if you don't overthink it. Psimax basically said that he's plans to lose now, but will win next round because of it. So Minmax just gave him the opposite of what he wanted, and made him win now. It's the same thing that prevented him from drawing Oblivious in the Tower Room when Psimax first attacked him. Psimax said "Draw your weapon, it's the only way you can win." and Minmax stubbornly refused to do it, just because that's what Psimax wanted him to do. Same thing here. It boils down to 'Do the opposite of what Psimax tells you to do.'

Psimax's obsessive need to tell everyone else what he's doing certainly helps.

Hertzyscowicz
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Hertzyscowicz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:15 am

Tarnagh wrote:Minmax tossed Psimax so hard, he bounced twice! And so much better than outright killing him... Psimax is forced to live out his miserable existence. A literal fate worse than death.

And having an inter-dimensional, highly intelligent psion with a grudge may make an interesting story line later.
Even better, there's an afterlife and gods. For what he just pulled, you can bet he won't be getting the easy way out as a low-fat snack for a glabrezu.

EDIT to add: ....So we are looking at an inter-dimensional, highly intelligent psionic duke of hell rendered unkillable by the gods themselves, with a grudge on Minmax.

Mtdewjunky007
Remains Silent

Post by Mtdewjunky007 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:30 am

It's always satisfying to see a villain defeated, and to see the defeat on his face. It's not every adventure you get to shot put the boss into his defeat! :cheer: 'ding!' GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAL!

RMT1976
Remains Silent

Post by RMT1976 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:36 am

On leaving the MoM it might run like Gantz, as long as you're alive, however barely, all your injuries will be healed, so the beard (if you consider it an injury) and tail will be replaced. The reset is now manual, and as a win activates the reset the Kins will have control. What happens if two winners enter without a run through... wait and see.

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:57 am

RocketScientist wrote:
stevedj wrote:
ThroughTheWell wrote:If it is a slide or tumble from 1 circle to the next from the throw, it looks odd to me. He's on his back in the first one and on his stomach in the 2nd one, with speed lines conecting the 2. The speed lines suggest to me that he DID choose a treasure, ...
Actually, it was just the perspective that reversed. When MM throws him onto the Blue circle, he is sliding towards us. But then the perspective flips around (as seen by MM) as he continues sliding, now appearing to slide away from us.
No, it's not the change of camera angle. It looks like Psimax slides into blue on his back, and red on his belly.

I believe the flipover was necessary to avoid showing genitalia again. Easy to imagine bouncing and rolling, though.
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

Starfire
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Starfire

Post by Starfire » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:26 am

RedwoodElf wrote:My guess as to what happens next: Minmax and Forgath use the Jade Teapot to travel to Complains of Names, and Kin joins the Kinship for one more run through the maze of many as a separate reality number, to get the teapot and exit.

So Forgath and Minmax will appear in front of GAP, while at the same instant, Kin will exit the maze back at the entrance (actually, she could have run the maze many times with the Kinship, since she knows whenever she finishes, she will exit at the exact instant she entered, and maybe she even brings the Kinship with her, and Onyx, being a high enough level sorceress by then to have teleport or maybe even Wish, can get her back to Forgath and Minmax in time to say "No, Minmax! Don't kill those Goblins...those are the good ones I told you about!")
+1. I agree with RedwoodElf. But maybe I'm hoping that we get back to GAP soon; taking the entire group through the maze again would mean that we'd have to wait a long time before we got to GAP again.

Iron Sun 254
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Iron Sun 254 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:27 am

And this is why the "villian monologue" is always the wrong choice...
There's a fine line between genius and insanity....that's where I live, baby!

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:30 am

JustRight wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:
ThroughTheWell wrote:If it is a slide or tumble from 1 circle to the next from the throw, it looks odd to me. He's on his back in the first one and on his stomach in the 2nd one, with speed lines conecting the 2. The speed lines suggest to me that he DID choose a treasure, ...
stevedj wrote:Actually, it was just the perspective that reversed. When MM throws him onto the Blue circle, he is sliding towards us. But then the perspective flips around (as seen by MM) as he continues sliding, now appearing to slide away from us.
No, it's not the change of camera angle. It looks like Psimax slides into blue on his back, and red on his belly.

I believe the flipover was necessary to avoid showing genitalia again. Easy to imagine bouncing and rolling, though.
With that thought -- take another look, a good look, at the Kins' expressions/eyes in frame #6... notice how it seems as though they are taking a good... long... look... :shock:

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:33 am

ActsStupidly wrote:
Master TMO wrote:(Edit: And according to the Goblin Character Stats thread, MinMax's Strength is 22. Easily strong enough to throw a light man one-handed. Apparently even strong enough to throw a heavy-dense light man one-handed. )
22 STR can pick up a horse. Picking up and unarmored human is child's play.
Let us not forget, MinMax has a history of throwing things...

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:58 am

Suppose PM wasn't dissolved by leaving the Maze.
Suppose he immediately re-enters (in a fit of rage or simply not having achieved the understanding the 3K have or after realizing it's the closest he's ever going to get) and kicks himself out of Time. His two party-mates will reset without him, or indeed remembering him. Since he was never there. Just like he dropped into an Oblivion Hole -- only permanent.
But meanwhile (warping that word badly), back at the finish, he no longer ever existed, so he DIDN'T win, so FMK still can, with a minor tweak of the manual reset if necessary. (I know, but if his departure from Time is like entering an Oblivion Hole permanently, memory of his existence will be gone, but the effects will still be there. Kin's tail is still green, the gears still work.)
(It would be even more amusing if a side effect of Sapphire's selective amnesia was that she was now the only one that DID remember him, the two effects overlapping and canceling. She would have to explain to everyone what really happened, with her teammates used to her forgetting more than them, not the opposite.)

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:09 am

Iron Sun 254 wrote:And this is why the "villian monologue" is always the wrong choice...
High int. Wis nowhere to be found.

EatsAbug
Whispers Softly

Post by EatsAbug » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:11 am

All of you suggesting that the group can now grab the jade teapot and teleport out of the MoM - look carefully at panel 7, just after PsiMax has won and slid into the red circle with the "You've selected your treasure" announcement.

BARE WALL.

EatsAbug
Whispers Softly

Post by EatsAbug » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:13 am

EatsAbug wrote:All of you suggesting that the group can now grab the jade teapot and teleport out of the MoM - look carefully at panel 7, just after PsiMax has won and slid into the red circle with the "You've selected your treasure" announcement.

BARE WALL.
Of course, there IS a gap back there, so maybe not.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:16 am

It's cool, that bit was always bare wall: http://www.goblinscomic.org/02192013/

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:41 am

ActsStupidly wrote:
Master TMO wrote:On the plus side though, 'our' FMK team is free to join the 3 Kin Band in remembering resets and level grinding, since they're not getting the pity win. I wonder if MinMax will get to keep Oblivious? We see him draw it while wearing green. Which means that either he keeps it (in it's new form is it immune to resets?), or they make sure to rush to that weapon and armor every time and oblivion holes don't reset with the MoM, or they use the Jade Teapot to leave the MoM now, without winning, losing the Teapot in the process.

Personally, I'm betting on them Teapotting out of the MoM, with the 3KB choosing to go to their reality and bring the Teapot with them when they eventually leave. Which would also mean at some point in the future a trio of very powerful Kins could show up to save the day.

(Edit: And according to the Goblin Character Stats thread, MinMax's Strength is 22. Easily strong enough to throw a light man one-handed. Apparently even strong enough to throw a heavy-dense light man one-handed. )
22 STR can pick up a horse. Picking up and unarmored human is child's play.
I think Psimax is quite a bit heavier than "A [normal] unarmored human", given the material he's made of is meant to be strong enough to be immune to physical damage. Nonetheless, I'm still fine with Minmax throwing him and this arc being (Somewhat close to) over

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:50 am

Yup. I've really enjoyed this arc and the character development we've had, but I miss the goblins :(