September 9th, 2013: What a Pity.

Discuss the comic here!
gordo
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: gordo

Re: September 9th, 2013: What a Pity.

Post by gordo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:05 pm

The whole 38 tunneling thing was because they didn't have the time to work something out. But wait, now they have it!

So, first they get secure, isolating the top of the maze. When FMK leave, the maze will not reset because it's not automatic anymore.

Then, they spent some days/weeks in this run, undoing every single gear that is powering psymax up and/or redirecting then to power up themselves. I don't think he attained any levels, his power was a "cheat code" (That, as everybody knows, gives 0 experience points... maybe they just run some honest encounters to achieve a higher level, with infinite time they will see what is happening and work this out).

After they do all of this, just leave psymax as a regular competitor and assume his role as the masters of the universe. And after the first run, reset his counter to prevent him from destroying it (At the first rerun they probally don't know he did it, unless the gears have a "playback video" of the run)

Just planning nice and easy. Kins don't need to rush the restart and screw it.

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:49 pm

I suppose that now that we can see the back of MinMax's head, we can say with relative certainty that the machine only replaces scars and extensive damage, and heals "minor" wounds without scarring (Unless the blood is blocking a small spot of his head that has been replaced, but that seems unlikely.)
Last edited by raaabr on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:37 pm

willpell wrote:Consistency is overrated, unless you're baking.
Or Brewing :)
All hail the power of the stick!

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Evidently it repairs recent wounds (the ones you haven't gotten hitpoints back from) and replaces lost/dead areas (his injured eye and his scar)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:34 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:Evidently it repairs recent wounds (the ones you haven't gotten hitpoints back from) and replaces lost/dead areas (his injured eye and his scar)
I suppose that lost/dead areas also take priority, since I would think that Kin's tail-loss would count as a recent wound, but it was replaced. (Or the healing potion closed it off creating a giant scar that the machine decided to replace.)
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:19 pm

Better hope they never enter an anti magic field.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:16 am

That's actually a good point; an anti magic field would be a very dangerous thing for a lot of the cast.

Dies: Loses his arm, and thus loses his Junior-Repellent.
Kin: Loses her tail.
Forgath: Loses part of his Beard (This would obviously be the worst loss among the cast)

But since i'm not at all familiar with the rules of D&D, do Anti-Magic fields actually exist in-game?

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:31 am

Seems that anti-magic effects are possible:
Antmagic Field

heridfel
Remains Silent

Post by heridfel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:02 am

The question is whether those created body parts are inherently magical or if the process that created them was magical, but they themselves are "mundane". For example, entering an anti-magic field doesn't undo the effects of cure spells. It also doesn't cause adamantine or mithral to act strangely, even though it is implied that forging these metals requires magic. Since the only magical effect that we've heard about is "they're really dense", I'd think they'd work through such a field (but I wouldn't want to verify that if I didn't have to).

Elvors
Mutters to Themself

Post by Elvors » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:19 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:So FMK win solved, but they still have a riddle of how to get into the room, get the treasure(s), and win, in the right order, without acivating the guardian or getting smaked into molten gold or something?
Since they remember the maze, they'll know all traps and can avoid or disarm them.
They can possibly even alter the maze so that there's a nice, trap-free path right to the control room.
Or they can make it so that they can simply teleport to the maze control room. Whenever they lose a fight, the last yuan-ti standing slithering will teleport to a safe place and wait for the reset.
Or they will simple be restarted as happens with all losing groups - they'd still make XP.

A forum post I dimly remember said that the "molten gold" was identified as mudhoney by THunt.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:37 am

Oooh - new thought about PsiMax (well, new to me, at least :) )

PsiMax has remembered his last 816+ runs (I forget the exact number) because of his destroyed counter (don't care when/how destroyed, not the point here).

My thought is: How did he "lose" in those runs? One of two options: Either he died somewhere along the way (doesn't seem likely for him), or he observed everything, then 'reset' while alive as someone else won (seems most likely).

So, given that - I would guess that this might be the first time he's gone through a post-counter-destruction reset having DIED. I wonder if that would make a difference in his memories after reset?

T' Northerner
Of Few Words

Post by T' Northerner » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:07 pm

Having read that wiki page, it seems that an anti magic field wouldn't remove their limbs and stuff. It says that magical effects are suppressed but not dispelled. I might be interpreting it incorrectly though.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:54 pm

stevedj wrote:Oooh - new thought about PsiMax (well, new to me, at least :) )

PsiMax has remembered his last 816+ runs (I forget the exact number) because of his destroyed counter (don't care when/how destroyed, not the point here).

My thought is: How did he "lose" in those runs? One of two options: Either he died somewhere along the way (doesn't seem likely for him), or he observed everything, then 'reset' while alive as someone else won (seems most likely).

So, given that - I would guess that this might be the first time he's gone through a post-counter-destruction reset having DIED. I wonder if that would make a difference in his memories after reset?
The rest of Psimax's team reset live and whole, and Psimax says that they remember every time that he's killed them: link
So we could expect Psimax to also reset to full health and remember everything - but perhaps to reset without all the levels he's gained?

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:26 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:
The rest of Psimax's team reset live and whole, and Psimax says that they remember every time that he's killed them: link
So we could expect Psimax to also reset to full health and remember everything - but perhaps to reset without all the levels he's gained?
So if the Kins then only changed one thing, and let his team mates reboot knowing everything from the last 800 odd matches . . . He is in for a nasty surprise, because they would be like "Kill him killhilkillhimkillhim" and no mistake.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:53 am

If FMK win on this run, Forgath will need a new weapon, and also needs to remember to collect his holy symbol (the handle of his mace is still intact, on the floor in the corridor).

Darkpool
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Darkpool » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:47 am

One possible solution to the Psimax problem: change his reality number to 156. When FMK 156 leave the Maze, Psimax stays dead and won't be part of any future resets.

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:28 am

Darkpool wrote:One possible solution to the Psimax problem: change his reality number to 156. When FMK 156 leave the Maze, Psimax stays dead and won't be part of any future resets.
Do we know that's how the maze works? What if dead party members are teleported out of the maze with winners of the same party, but they're reconstructed first? We could end up with "MinMax 156. Remember me?" >:D
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"

Zambee
Whispers Softly

Post by Zambee » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:02 am

I'm wondering what will happen to ROS if they reset to their starting room and have to face the spiked wall comprehension room. They all understand how it works and would be stopped there by it. Maybe that was an intentional counter measure on the mazes part in case anyone ever did manage to remember each run. Psimax didn't have a problem with this since he could teleport and melt walls. I wonder how ROS would get around it? Assuming they restart each maze run in a starting room like the others.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:14 am

WhispersToSquirrels wrote:
Darkpool wrote:One possible solution to the Psimax problem: change his reality number to 156. When FMK 156 leave the Maze, Psimax stays dead and won't be part of any future resets.
Do we know that's how the maze works? What if dead party members are teleported out of the maze with winners of the same party, but they're reconstructed first? We could end up with "MinMax 156. Remember me?" >:D
No, they're not.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/04122013/
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:08 pm

Zambee wrote:I'm wondering what will happen to ROS if they reset to their starting room and have to face the spiked wall comprehension room. They all understand how it works and would be stopped there by it. Maybe that was an intentional counter measure on the mazes part in case anyone ever did manage to remember each run. Psimax didn't have a problem with this since he could teleport and melt walls. I wonder how ROS would get around it? Assuming they restart each maze run in a starting room like the others.
Just because our FMK started through such a group, tat does not mean that all groups have such a first room....
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
it's fully funded, and all realistic stretch goals reached!

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Have we clearly established that the gears are only psimaxs work?. It isn't his work stacked "on top" of the mazes' own workings is it?. Or somehow subverting, controlling the maze base mechanics?.

See, I work up this morning wondering, 'If Psimax keeps his memories of events, does he keep everything else from turn to turn as well, damage as well as improvements?. His magic arms, were they damage that happened in an early run, or did he have them when he came into the maze?.
And, if he lost his arms before entering into the maze, is that why he made his gears insta-repair anyone who touched them?. Did he remember a couple of wounds that would have left him un-able to manipulate tools and settings, and/or cast spells?'.
Zambee wrote:I'm wondering what will happen to ROS if they reset to their starting room and have to face the spiked wall comprehension room. They all understand how it works and would be stopped there by it. Maybe that was an intentional counter measure on the mazes part in case anyone ever did manage to remember each run. Psimax didn't have a problem with this since he could teleport and melt walls. I wonder how ROS would get around it? Assuming they restart each maze run in a starting room like the others.
If ROS stands for "our" group, they have one member whose forte is incomprehension. :lol:

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:27 pm

ROS=3K. There's no reason that 3K have to go through the comprehension room; we only saw two teams try to get through those rooms. The other teams could be facing quite different challenges. After all, we saw the spinning wheels room and golems with falling floor room, but FMK didn't.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Jochi wrote:"a disreputable or ill-tempered woman." Carried in most dictionaries as Jade 2, since it has a different origin than Jade 1, the stone and shade of green.
Definition 2, the first being "a worn-out, broken-down, worthless, or vicious horse".
It is this word that is being referred to when someone says they are "jaded", not the supposed medical benefits of the stone in treating colic.
So would that make Jackie Chan Adventures misogynistic? But Jade was my favorite character. :(
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:17 pm

To say nothing of Mortal Kombat.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:36 am

WhispersToSquirrels wrote:
Well that's what the Kinship plan to do, trick the maze into thinking they're all from the same reality...so presumably they could do the same with Psimax.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)