July 1st, 2013 Grossly Overpowered

Discuss the comic here!
Kennerly
Mutters to Themself

Re: July 1st, 2013 Grossly Overpowered

Post by Kennerly » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Throw handfuls of sand at him! The 77,914,839,447th grain of sand that lands on him will hit him like an anvil.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Kennerly wrote:Throw handfuls of sand at him! The 77,914,839,447th grain of sand that lands on him will hit him like an anvil.
Hmm.. well.. as good as that sound.... even using sand, that have a an average mass of 0,45 MG (sand is between 0,23 and 0,67 mg) we would still have to throw 35,0617 Ton sand on him.... get going MM...

Now... if it was the 77,914,839,447th air molecule he inhaled :P
-Best regards LAYF

Rogbull
Of Few Words
UStream Username: Rogbull

Post by Rogbull » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:31 pm

I call red herring, just put a kin collar on him.

homeosapiens
Remains Silent

Post by homeosapiens » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:40 pm

I guess we would need WizMax to figure it out, but the only explanation i see is molecules - attack him with gust of wind(air molecules<oxygen etc.(i actually dont remember english words for gazes)>) or splash acid(H2SO4 molecules), with exact number of molecules. Instead of getting prone from gust of wind he ll act like wind tore him to pieces. Or instead 1d3 dmg from acid he ll just get killed by it.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:57 pm

homeosapiens wrote:i actually dont remember english words for gazes
"Gases", singular "Gas". [/themoreyouknow]
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Thunt said (in the 24-hour kickstarter drawing marathon??) that he only changed the dialog across the bottom of this page from a bad kryptonite pun a day or so before it went up; so the number might be a last-minute insertion to the plot, and not particularly important.

Occams Meataxe
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Occams Meataxe » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:12 pm

77 billion and change? If that's a frequency it would be in the microwave band. If MinMax turns his armor that color it might fry PsiMax.

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:30 pm

Rogbull wrote:I call red herring, just put a kin collar on him.
I agree on the red Herring but not the collar. I think the Kins will change the weakness to something simpler say from a specific number to a specific color. Like blue maybe?

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:32 pm

:paranoia: Just Googled 77,914,839,447 and found another discussion board on our current topic. You guys here just aren't even trying. Someone there claimed it's an international telephone number for Brazil from THunt's place..I won't say who he's calling out of respect.
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

Incendax
Remains Silent

Post by Incendax » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:32 pm

77,914,839,447?

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Incendax wrote:77,914,839,447?
You should have heard the Kryptonite pun he had written for this page instead; this is an improvement.

apotato
Knows Everything

Post by apotato » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:01 pm

something about every day has a night, it's probably hidden with cryptography we need to find is crypto night.

imagine that joke but across those bottom panels. the close up on forgath should have been him rolling his eyes and groaning

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:44 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:You should have heard the Kryptonite pun he had written for this page instead; this is an improvement.
Aw, I missed it....
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:18 am

Something like the above

Kin1: Everything has its opposite;
Kin2: Every day has its night.
Kin3: The psion Minmax has hidden his weakness in a cryptographically.
Forgath: So, we're looking for his crypto-night?
Last edited by RidcullyJack on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:30 am

JustRight wrote::paranoia: Just Googled 77,914,839,447 and found another discussion board on our current topic. You guys here just aren't even trying. Someone there claimed it's an international telephone number for Brazil from THunt's place..I won't say who he's calling out of respect.
Oooh, that's a very nice thread on Goblins over there! Thanks.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:55 am

Some other comments, beyond 77,914,839,447.

Looks like Forgath is still stuck to the wall. Guess he's not important or useful enough to unglue.

No Onyx's spider familiar on this page makes me sad. (Quick, someone speculate wildly about the deep, all-encompassing significance of us not seeing Onyx's spider for a few pages!)

redeemedviking
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by redeemedviking » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:01 am

Kin seems to be calculating something in her head, looking at the gears. Perhaps it is something to do with number of revolutions on a particular cog that causes the whole lot of machinery to get back to exactly the same place?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:13 am

More like reverse-engineering the machine, to re-translate the number into the weaknesses of Minmax.
Surely you can represent something by a number, but converting a weakness into a number, thus packaging the weakness and making it disappear from physical life by transferring it over into meta-equations??

And reading themachine is like Star Trek where everyone is able to work with a PC and software they've never seen before and where the input devices are not the same as what you use.....

I remember Scotty siting on Earth (San Fransisco) and hammering a keyboard to show someone on Earth how to do metallic glass.
As if anyone not having quite some experience in a CAD program could make the CAD do something useful.... Within a working day, even less so within a few minutes....

I get the same feeling here with our Kinship reading the psion's machine.
At least they concede that they do not understand everything....
A well, for story sake.... I'm in for the story, not for an explanation of the physical world.

Also: Shading is up.
So the new image is double up, and the old unshaded is gone :( (http://www.goblinscomic.org/comics/20130702.jpg and http://www.goblinscomic.org/comics/20130701.jpg)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
it's fully funded, and all realistic stretch goals reached!

apotato
Knows Everything

Post by apotato » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:50 am

Krulle wrote: I remember Scotty siting on Earth (San Fransisco) and hammering a keyboard to show someone on Earth how to do metallic glass.
As if anyone not having quite some experience in a CAD program could make the CAD do something useful.... Within a working day, even less so within a few minutes....
it's possible he just made a straight binary program. he was just demonstrating a molecular shape. at that stage in our "computer science" it was likely we'd still use binary in the future.

nowadays there would be an issue as it seems quantum computing would be our future. either way i dont see it being improbable that the chief engineer on starship full of computers would know his way around programming.

i can see an issue with how crappy the computer would have been by comparison to a starships systems.

likewise, it seems yuan ti do infact use psionics, and an intelligent yuan ti viewing a psionic machine would have a better understanding of the machine just like i can work out the bizarre cabling setups some buildings use for their phones while your average joe would shake their heads and give up.

if I can reverse engineer a buildings cabling to solve a current problem, and i suggest many others could supply their own examples of applying specific skills to resolve issues that would confound the average person. i dont see an issue with the kins working out the psionic machine

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:07 am

Not really.
In the same scene, just before Mr. Montgomery Scott starts hammering the keyboard, he tries to talk to the computer.
Only when someone points out that the input devices still work by computer, he uses the keyboard.
Also, you can see that some kind of program is active, and it works with direct visualization of what he is doing....

( Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home )
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
it's fully funded, and all realistic stretch goals reached!

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:46 am

Well we have seen that the cogs of the universe machine can be destroyed so why don't they destroy the machine, thus drastically reducing PsiMax's power and increasing the area of his weakness? I could see our kin sacrificing herself by taking off the collar next to it.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:52 am

brnforce wrote: I could see our kin sacrificing herself by taking off the collar next to it.
THIS.. Except.. the collar is all a hoax! so MM dies a tragic death because kin could not save him....

*Hides from things that are properly thrown at me....
-Best regards LAYF

binarytears
Mutters to Themself

Post by binarytears » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:45 am

Wait... it's the actual NUMBER 77,914,839,447 that is his weakness? Not any particular representation of it?
I seem to recall that PsyMax's machine was supposed to destroy the MoM universe by disproving the fundamental theorems? Or am I mixing this up with something else?

In any case... what if the Kins patch the machine to prove 77,914,839,447 != 77,914,839,447 ?
So just one number in the integer field gets oblivionated. The universe could probably survive that. But maybe not PsyMax?
A poetic and ironic end. Hoist by his own numeric petard.

Or maybe that's just how many wrinkles he has, and stabbing him in just the right wrinkle is what it takes.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:16 am

Or, it might suffice to use the digit sum of that number in some way, which is 63.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:48 am

RidcullyJack wrote:Something like the above

Kin1: Everything has its opposite;
Kin2: Every day has its night.
Kin3: The psion Minmax has hidden his weakness in a cryptographically.
Forgath: So, we're looking for his crypto-night?
Yeah, that was pretty bad.
My long-neglected blog.