Potential: OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: Potential: OOC

Post by WearsHats » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:44 am

For the record: I almost never remember my dreams, but, more than a few times, I really have had exactly this kind of dream: I'm someone else - someone kind of like me, but with a different life that I partially remember. Someone who doesn't have my medical issues.

I stop in the middle of the dream and realize it's a dream, and at that therefore I should be able to assert some kind of conscious control over reality. I can't change the dream world or its narrative, but I can, if I focus, change one specific thing at a time. And so, even though this wasn't the direction I was expecting to take with the character, I'm realizing as I play that it's the only possible action for him to take right now.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:01 pm

Well, as with most things in this game, if you spend enough time on it, something -will- happen... But don't be disappointed if it doesn't work how you might've expected, because summoning things into existence through sheer force of will without so much as a user manual or intro to magic isn't a task I had even ascribed completion points to at this early stage so I'll be winging it :lol: ...Having said that, some of my best works have resulted from winging it. 8)

But, as you saw, ~weird things~ began with even a little bit of applied concentration. You would have burst a blood vessel concentrating long before you summoned a doll, but you got a little visual taster of how merely focusing on something (even an imaginary something), imbuing it with nothing fancier than your attention, seemed to give it depth and life beyond what it originally had.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:17 pm

WearsHats wrote:For the record: I almost never remember my dreams, but, more than a few times, I really have had exactly this kind of dream: I'm someone else - someone kind of like me, but with a different life that I partially remember. Someone who doesn't have my medical issues.

I stop in the middle of the dream and realize it's a dream, and at that therefore I should be able to assert some kind of conscious control over reality. I can't change the dream world or its narrative, but I can, if I focus, change one specific thing at a time. And so, even though this wasn't the direction I was expecting to take with the character, I'm realizing as I play that it's the only possible action for him to take right now.
Interesting. I'm always me in my own dreams. Generally when I assert control over my dreams though I just rewind and redo anything that didn't turn out well till it does. Others still act the same and in character, but I change what I do till it pans out to something good or I wake up. I groundhog day my dreams.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:18 pm

Oh, I didn't expect the doll trick to work. But he had to try it. And I was interested to see how you'd choose to handle it. I also wondered if it would produce some visible effect for the others to see. Like maybe the illusion of the doll.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:31 pm

Sometimes in my dreams I get the ".... this is JUST LIKE MY DREAMS!" moments, but I never lucid dream. I'm not always "me" totally in them - I've also had dreams where I was basically watching a movie and I swapped around from different perspectives.

But total awareness of being in a dream? Nope. Hence it hasn't even crossed Leonie's mind, and will be quickly dismissed if it ever does cross her mind. haha.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:09 pm

I never have any recollection of my dreams, anymore. The most I ever get is "I had at least one weird dream, but I don't have a clue what anything was." Used to remember bits and pieces, but that stopped a couple of years ago.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:17 pm

I can't help but think of this when I read my character's description: Mahogony

And i rarely remember my dreams.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:25 pm

Which brings up an ooc question...do pecans exist in this DnD world?
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Maybe? They are native to North America, and we are in the geographic equivalent of central/southern Europe...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:18 am

Yeah, non-native to your area. Same as skullcap when Synch thought about it, although that was more of a "there's no marsh or wetland here, which is necessary for this plant to grow" type of problem rather than a "species only found on one continent" problem.

Getting a bit detailed on the rules requests already aren't we? Pecans? Wasn't planning on having to know that one, guys! :p

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:21 am

Oh good. I'm allergic to pecans. :p

► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:51 am

nikohl wrote:Yeah, non-native to your area. Same as skullcap when Synch thought about it, although that was more of a "there's no marsh or wetland here, which is necessary for this plant to grow" type of problem rather than a "species only found on one continent" problem.

Getting a bit detailed on the rules requests already aren't we? Pecans? Wasn't planning on having to know that one, guys! :p
Sorry but there are two things that grow well in the wiregrass...cows and pecans...(well and apparently blonde engineering students but eh...)
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:19 am

I keep misreading pecans as pelicans and getting confused as to why Wears has such a specific allergy...

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:24 am

I like pecans. It's just super specific :p

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:47 am

I have issues with pelicans, too, but that's a long story involving a girl and one of the biggest mistakes of my life. But I'm not actually allergic to pelicans. They just evoke a bittersweet melancholy.

► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:55 am

Reminder to myself, just in case I forget (I've forgotten my plans far too many times to take the risk); Lance's plan for an explanation for leaving, if one is asked for, is that he's setting out to find a place to start his own stables. Keep it nice and simple, since neither Lance nor Loupe seem to be characters to mince words.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:04 am

WearsHats wrote:I have issues with pelicans, too, but that's a long story involving a girl and one of the biggest mistakes of my life. But I'm not actually allergic to pelicans. They just evoke a bittersweet melancholy.
Well... Awww :(

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:36 am

No, it's okay. I actually found it kind of funny that you randomly said "why would he possibly be allergic to this one specific bird?" and it happened to be the one specific bird that I have weird emotional associations with.

► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:06 am

Good morning Potentialisers! It's my day off and I'm feeling... Updatey. Group 1 are in a good spot as they've all decided to venture back to their hosts' various homes and/or Do Stuff, so I will almost certainly be doing a Group 1 update today.

Depending on how that goes, I may also look at doing a Group 2 update - but you guys aren't really in a place that needs input from me yet. If, by the time I've finished Group 1, stuff has progressed enough that I can interject with GM stuff and I'm not tired or busy with RL things, I'll see about updating. Otherwise, I'm going to try for Thursday for you guys.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:07 am

Yay!

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:50 am

Yay! Something to look forward to! Leonie's been ransacking that room for quite a while :P

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:13 am

Yay, update!

Lin: She's only been searching that room long enough for us to take a short walk and have a brief conversation. 10 minutes, max, I'd say. But it'll be nice when we get the group back together for dinner, so you can interact with the rest of us again.

► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:16 am

I know that you silly thing!

But I, however, have been enjoying reading everyone else's for the past day or so (no sense of time here) while she ransacks the room! I'm going by my time scale! :P

Just like spider's char spent like a month being poisoned and unconscious, when in-game itw as a muuuch shorter time!

In other words, I'm just looking forward to seeing if she found anything.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:24 am

lingrem wrote:I
Just like spider's char spent like a month being poisoned and unconscious, when in-game itw as a muuuch shorter time!
Yeah... Good times...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:31 am

SHUSH LIN! Don't remind him of that!
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler