25 August 2013 Beard and eye update

Discuss the comic here!
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: 25 August 2013 Beard and eye update

Post by LAYF » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:18 am

its not a healing device, but a restoration device, that's how it restored the beard... the "before the ,mace" I have no idea :S
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:19 am

That's not just any beard though - that's a DWARVEN beard :)

And Oblivion-Hole restoration is kind of cool - I suppose you could look on that as a kind of mental injury (the item was forgotten about; but for the memories to be restored you also have to restore the item). If that's true though, I'm wondering how many sets of clothing have just appeared on Minmax under all his armour. He should be wearing at least an extra pair of trousers (I think?) and boots from his early experimentations :D

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:21 am

Out of interest, am I the only one here hoping that
A) Psimax doesn't come back just so Minmax can kill him again
and B) That Kin doesn't get her tail back?

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:48 am

ChuckNorris wrote:Out of interest, am I the only one here hoping that
I don't think that Thunt would have bothered to create this device unless either A, B or both were true. I wouldn't have an issue with A as it would just be a quick joke. B is a bigger issue. He wrenched a lot of emotion from that moment and reversing the effect a few pages later (seems like it's been months, no?) is pretty cheap. Especially as loss of limbs as been such a huge theme in this comic and numerous characters have grown to regret their magical limb replacement strategies.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:18 am

I'm not fussed about Psymax coming back if it's a quick joke (or if he comes back at an ineffectual L2-3). I honestly don't know how I feel about Kin getting her tail back because aside from the actual loss, it doesn't appear to have had any effect on her at all. I kind of feel that at this point in the story it doesn't matter if the the tail comes back, because we've not had any development of Kin-without-tail. I also suspect this might be another opportunity to develop Minmax, and not Kin's character and that makes me a bit sad.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:20 am

He could cut the super tough portion of beard and weave it into a single armored glove that would give him a +1 to hit by allowing him greater freedom of movement while wielding his mace.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

binarytears
Mutters to Themself

Post by binarytears » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:04 am

So, PsyMax set up a failsafe, in case he was somehow killed - his resurrection machine recreates him. There shouldn't be anyone loose in this room but him, so if someone else touches the machine, PsyMax has a countdown interval to deal with the 'intrusion alarm', or else he'll be resurrected. That's what _I'd_ do, anyway.

But _where_ is the machine going to resurrect him?
If they can figure out where (position zero, anyone?) MinMax oculd just stand by with Oblivious sticking through the soon-to-be-PsyMax's head.
There's nothing worse than a splitting headache caused by Nothing.

Incidentally, shouldn't MinMax's repaired eye have a pupil?
And uh... if his 'eye' is now made of super-dense purplish IME-stuff, how does the lens work? Wrong refractive index. (Yeah I know, it's Magic.)
What does looking at things through a magical lens show him? Besides 'purplish'?

So... 'Gone like it never existed' doesn't fool the resurrection machine. Pretty smart gadget. Now FFsake, touch it already Kin.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:31 am

Will recreated PsiMax have any memory of what happened? I assume yes...
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:35 am

binarytears wrote:But _where_ is the machine going to resurrect him?
If they can figure out where (position zero, anyone?) MinMax oculd just stand by with Oblivious sticking through the soon-to-be-PsyMax's head.
He doesn't draw Oblivious until he's outdoors again. Perhaps if everyone sticks their fingers into where his head will appear...all of Minmax's and Forgath's fingers, plus 18 of the 24 available Kin-fingers (excluding "our" Kin, since she can't currently reach to human head-height unless supported somehow), would total 38 fingers in Psimax's brain, so that should do the job nicely.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:40 am

I'm afraid that would destroy both brain and fingers, remember what Kin said to Kin before teleportation?
But they can use something they don't need, some stick, or brick or something.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

Rogbull
Of Few Words
UStream Username: Rogbull

Post by Rogbull » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:49 am

If Psymax is materialising again, let's hope no one is standing on his spot.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:33 pm

willpell wrote:He doesn't draw Oblivious until he's outdoors again.
Unless the "Remember me?" is a misdirect.

Scenario: Reconstruction and or whatnot triggers maze reset, but FM4K are able to rig it to retain memories. MM asking other party, "Remember me?" which of course they don't... cue montage of them ripping through the maze in a single pass.

While I agree it seems most LIKELY that they leave the maze and he is addressing GAP, I've learned to expect the unexpected from Thunt, and that 99% of forum 'theories' are dead wrong, no matter how sure their proponents were beforehand.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Borys wrote:Will recreated PsiMax have any memory of what happened? I assume yes...
PsiMax will remember. Otherwise MinMax would be killing someone who was not guilty of the atrocities PsiMax performed, and that's bad storytelling.
Hippo wrote:call me crazy but...countdown to Psimax Ressurection in 5...4....3...2...1.....Sonovacrap!
That could explain why Sapphire still remembers him -- he's not dead, really. Of course, that could mean he has materialized or is materializing elsewhere -- maybe even being repaired in the Tower Room.
WhispersToSquirrels wrote:If Sapphire uses the reconstruction gears, will she get her memory back?
She already has PART of it back, but not through anything SHE did. And I'm surprised it didn't immediately alarm Ruby that she remembers 'the psion'.
Wait. There's been a change since last night. Sapphire no longer mentions Psimax. Forget half of what I said. A minor oversight elegantly fixed.

Anybody else think it's funny that a dwarf's beard is something the machine sees as missing and restores, but not Forgath's or MinMax's scalp hair or MinMax's facial hair? Not milieu inappropriate, more like a milieu-based joke.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Jochi wrote:
Borys wrote:Will recreated PsiMax have any memory of what happened? I assume yes...
Hippo wrote:call me crazy but...countdown to Psimax Ressurection in 5...4....3...2...1.....Sonovacrap!
That could explain why Sapphire still remembers him -- he's not dead, really. Of course, that could mean he has materialized or is materializing elsewhere -- maybe even being repaired in the Tower Room.
Why wouldn't she remember him otherwise? He wasn't tossed in an Oblivion hole, he just died - very messily, I'll add.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:48 pm

She automatically forgets everybody, who died, according to her altsplanation.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Borys wrote:She automatically forgets everybody, who died, according to her altsplanation.
...Oh yeah. :oops:

Zambee
Whispers Softly

Post by Zambee » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:45 pm

jakesdad wrote:
Zambee wrote:Perhaps the psionic device which is only acting as a conduit and representation of the physics of the MoM is going through part of the process of a total reset.
Normally the reset would be triggered automatically when set conditions are met, but by interacting with the regeneration aspect of the device, Forgath has triggered part of the reset sequence.

Lets say that in the maze, you get burnt to a crisp. The maze would need to have a backup copy of you to re-boot from. It would have that data from the moment you first entered the maze.
Because this machine is a construct of Psimax, it can't be the mechanism used by the Maze of Many to reset the maze with everyone back in their original positions, fully healed. I could be based on it, sure, but noone at the beginning of the maze had limbs the color of their IMEs.

It could be a backup device to restore Psimax in the case of his death through whatever means. After all, he does not want all of his knowledge, XP, and planning to be lost because of a mistake or unforseen circumstance. This device would have been especially useful when he was first exploring every inch of the maze, plus it's location is perfect. At the end, but not where anyone can get to it.

PsiMax's arms don't look the same, with their shading. So I doubt they were made from this device.
I'm not suggesting that the device itself is doing anything exactly, what I mean is that the device is a psionic representation of and some how intrinsically connected to the maze of many in a way where changing the rules of the machine changes the rules of the maze. I have no idea how psimax would have linked his machine to the actual laws of physics of the maze, but I'm sure it's something well within the scope of a minmaxed intellect geared psion in the goblins universe

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:20 pm

Jochi wrote:She already has PART of it back, but not through anything SHE did. And I'm surprised it didn't immediately alarm Ruby that she remembers 'the psion'.
Wait. There's been a change since last night. Sapphire no longer mentions Psimax. Forget half of what I said. A minor oversight elegantly fixed.
Hm, guess I wasn't as fast as I thought I was grabbing the new one; I did it sometime Sunday night, but maybe not at the earliest opportunity (I was at the State Fair all day, so the soonest I could have done it was about 7:30 local time, and possibly an hour or two later). Does anyone remember (or "remember") the original dialogue?
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Moroser
Of Few Words

Post by Moroser » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:31 pm

Orga the Strange wrote:I feel like the beard and eye are going to end up looking normal eventually, though. Like, the effect'll just fade after awhile.
Yeah, I do hope the colouring effect is temporal. Otherwise these characters will look pretty weird. It was enough to have Dies' with a green arm.

If it really is a countdown for Psimax' resurrection (man, GC is all about timers!), that will probably help to solve the dilemma of only one group leaving the MoM - he'll definitely kill some Kins.

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:10 pm

ForgetsOldName wrote:
ChuckNorris wrote:Out of interest, am I the only one here hoping that
I don't think that Thunt would have bothered to create this device unless either A, B or both were true. I wouldn't have an issue with A as it would just be a quick joke. B is a bigger issue. He wrenched a lot of emotion from that moment and reversing the effect a few pages later (seems like it's been months, no?) is pretty cheap. Especially as loss of limbs as been such a huge theme in this comic and numerous characters have grown to regret their magical limb replacement strategies.
I guess I just don't want a villain brought back then immediately killed as a joke. It just seems a bit cheap to me really, that a powerful enemy might be brought back just for the sake of making someone's threat come true. I get one of the two'll probably happen, but I still don't want them to :(

Skulexander
Mutters to Themself

Post by Skulexander » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:02 pm

Tutenkharnage wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:Most importantly, does this finally kill that crap 'theory' that has persisted for years that Kore is Forgath from the future? This doesn't look very impervious to physical damage to me.
Has it really been 32 months since we've last seen the GAP?
I never noticed before that Kore's IME of monster heads on chains are in the shape of angel's wings on that page. I'm just not a very astute person.
Oblivion Holes = Love

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:51 pm

Skulexander wrote:
Tutenkharnage wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:Most importantly, does this finally kill that crap 'theory' that has persisted for years that Kore is Forgath from the future? This doesn't look very impervious to physical damage to me.
Has it really been 32 months since we've last seen the GAP?
I never noticed before that Kore's IME of monster heads on chains are in the shape of angel's wings on that page. I'm just not a very astute person.
You should probably put this in the "things you never noticed before" thread - it would fit right in. Everyone seems to have blind spots like this where we miss a thing like that, and as the thread shows, it is many many different things :)
All hail the power of the stick!

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:59 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
willpell wrote:He doesn't draw Oblivious until he's outdoors again.
Unless the "Remember me?" is a misdirect.

Scenario: Reconstruction and or whatnot triggers maze reset, but FM4K are able to rig it to retain memories. MM asking other party, "Remember me?" which of course they don't... cue montage of them ripping through the maze in a single pass.

While I agree it seems most LIKELY that they leave the maze and he is addressing GAP, I've learned to expect the unexpected from Thunt, and that 99% of forum 'theories' are dead wrong, no matter how sure their proponents were beforehand.
Might be insignificant, but Minmax says http://www.goblinscomic.org/01212011-2/ "Hi Names. Remember me?" However, the line that we hear through the little hole left by oblivious is merely "Remember me?" That gives us two likely possibilities. Either its not the same line (Which would mean that it wasn't Minmax speaking to Complains) or Minmax only drew oblivious after "Hi Names."

Then again, the line might have been slightly shortened so that there was a certain degree of ambiguity and dramatic tension as to whether or not it actually was Minmax addressing the goblins. :shrug:
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Plus, given that it seems to have been part of PsiMax's plan, I'm really hoping that MinMax doesn't see the freshly regenerated Psion and whip out Oblivious with a menacing "Remember me?"

Remember kids, Do Not Feed the Psion ...

:)
All hail the power of the stick!

Skulexander
Mutters to Themself

Post by Skulexander » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:29 pm

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:
Skulexander wrote:
Tutenkharnage wrote:Has it really been 32 months since we've last seen the GAP?
You should probably put this in the "things you never noticed before" thread - it would fit right in. Everyone seems to have blind spots like this where we miss a thing like that, and as the thread shows, it is many many different things :)
Indeed. Thanks.
Oblivion Holes = Love