PsiMax's Powers

Discuss the comic here!
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: PsiMax's Powers

Post by LAYF » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:41 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:
Tayvin wrote:All of this begs the question... could Kore face Psimax and stand a chance against him?
Let's see. Psimax enters the battle with almost all his power points, because he can teleport in to battle Kore when he's good and ready. He teleports into a place with good natural cover but line of sight with Kore. He has nice solid psionic armour of some kind already in place (lots of choices of power to use, not too many points to get something close to impermeable for least a few rounds, as we've seen).

Kore uses 11 power points to use his Null Psionics Field, about the only thing that might protect him from a big bad Psion. (He might have an item with him that does this, I suppose, but then I'll write him a Ring of Powerful Psion Killing too, and he's won).
Kore remembers he isn't a multi-class Paladin + Kineticist Psion, and can't protect himself from psionics; retracts previous action as stated to DM. If he wins initiative, which he probably does (arriving by teleport takes a little time), he makes his usual attack, which is to fire as many crossbow bolts as he can. Those that hit bounce away harmlessly, deflected by the psionic shield or Psimax's natural cover.
Psimax uses his usual attack, Baleful Teleport, to try to splishk Kore, power augmented from 9 power points to, say 30 points (not a huge number of points, since he's got 240 or so), dealing 30D6 damage, or 15D6 if Kore makes a Fortitude save (the more points, the harder the save is to make). If that doesn't SPLISHK Kore completely, he does it again more times, perhaps upping the number of points each time.. Kore could "Lay on Hands" on himself between splishks, but it's hard to cast a spell when parts of your body are discorporating. (Lay on hands heals level x charisma_bonus HP; he's about level 14, but how high is the Charisma of an emotionless/possessed/whatisthatthing?Tank-Paladin, really? Generously, it might get him 42 HP back, once).

Yeah, Psimax wins.

The only reason Psimax is going to lose the MoM is he's too arrogant to remember that his reality engine will grant enormous game-changing power to control reality to Kin (and the Kinship too, who he doesn't know are in the reality engine room).
Well.. one error.... Anti-magic as a rule of thump works against Psionics two... Or was that only in 3.0 (I don't have expanded handbook, i like the old model better...)
-Best regards LAYF

balefu
Remains Silent

Post by balefu » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:13 am

It does look like a gravity reversal but it's not any listed local gravity reversal spell, the objects are too near the ground AND at different heights. Which basically comes down to Powers as the Plot Demands.

100 4th level characters would technically be a CR 17 challenge, so as a single person party it'd be a dangerous, but level appropriate, encounter for a level 20 psymax (he'd run out of power points before running out of enemies if he just blasts them). I still doubt he's over CR 12-14 though.
LoneStarNorth wrote:
balefu wrote:How is he taking so many actions in a round?
How many rounds went by on this page?
His enemies have enough time for a single charge attack. If multiple rounds had passed he'd have been attacked over a dozen times and would have a scratch or two to show for it.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:15 am

At what level can a Psion use feats etc to create new psionic powers, like a spell-caster researching and writie new spells?

Edit: Also, Feats (he said, finding another chapter in the rulebook). Psimax could expend his psionic focus and use Quicken Power to manifest two psionic powers in the same round. So two Baleful Teleports in one round?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:49 pm

Tayvin wrote:All of this begs the question... could Kore face Psimax and stand a chance against him?
You know why I do not like _you_ asking this question?
It gives me the feeling you know something and want to make the impression you do not know anything.

Especially since two posts later you write "
Tayvin wrote:BUT ENOUGH ABOUT KORE THIS IS ABOUT PSIMAX!
So, recovered from all the partying? ;)

balefu wrote:It does look like a gravity reversal but it's not any listed local gravity reversal spell, the objects are too near the ground AND at different heights. Which basically comes down to Powers as the Plot Demands.
"Powers as the Plot Demands", or a previous suggestion by a weirdo-forumite without any D'n'D experience:
Krulle wrote:
Slings Words wrote:Edit: Oh! And the levitating of course. I was specifically wondering about the gears on his arm. Are those a psionic power or just part of his big mechanism?
I think one of the gears (or both) change the constants for gravitation.
See how everything goes up?
The energy for changing the constant has already been saved inside the psionic gear, so the "levitating" should be without new energy expenditure.
Apparently he only uses energy to keep himself "down".
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
it's fully funded, and all realistic stretch goals reached!

Tayvin
Son of Maglubiyet

Post by Tayvin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:06 pm

Krulle, if you're implying that I know something that is going to happen, prepare to be disappointed, I don't know what's going to happen in the long run in the comic in general. Though I guess I should be careful on what I say since I am the son of you-know-who.
Sometimes, it's good to be evil...

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:49 pm

That's what I meant.
I know your father takes care to let you in as little as us non-family readers, yet your words just rang a bell in me.
That's all I wanted to write.

(And I am very sure that if your father let you know something, you'd not even hint at it here.)

Have fun!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
it's fully funded, and all realistic stretch goals reached!

Orangebottle
Remains Silent

Post by Orangebottle » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:58 am

RidcullyJack wrote:At what level can a Psion use feats etc to create new psionic powers, like a spell-caster researching and writie new spells?

Edit: Also, Feats (he said, finding another chapter in the rulebook). Psimax could expend his psionic focus and use Quicken Power to manifest two psionic powers in the same round. So two Baleful Teleports in one round?
He could also use Schism to manifest another power at a lower level. So three per round, depending on level.

Edit: Then again, I'm used to Pathfinder's adapted psions, so Schism may or may not be in the 3.5e version.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Orangebottle wrote:
RidcullyJack wrote:At what level can a Psion use feats etc to create new psionic powers, like a spell-caster researching and writie new spells?

He could also use Schism to manifest another power at a lower level. So three per round, depending on level.

Edit: Then again, I'm used to Pathfinder's adapted psions, so Schism may or may not be in the 3.5e version.
Two in the same round costs a psion his focus, so 3 in one round, then 2 in following rounds, until he gets his focus back.

RollsNat20s
Remains Silent

Post by RollsNat20s » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:48 pm

Okay so, I was thinking about making an entirely different topic for this, but I suppose that this is close enough on subject, that I just input my thoughts here. So I was just browsing through Magic of Faerun, while playing some harmless d20 modern, when I came across this spell its called 'Spell Engine'. So my first thought was wait, WHAT?! I read it, its an 8th level sorcerer spell that pretty much makes an "indefinite" power supply that explodes dealing massive damage to anything that touches it, much like a Glyph of Warding. But fact of the matter is, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a custom Lesser Spell Engine that doesn't explode, or atleast only at half damage. This could easily be a 6th level spell. Then convert it to Psionics, change the name to Lesser Power Engine, and bottabing bottaboom, you have yourself an indefinite infinite powersource that can be used to draw power from just so long as it is not discharged. And even if a 6th level manifestation, a 12-13 level Psion could easily accomplish such a task. Yeah so I am betting that Psi-Max has some sort of Lesser Power Engine, and that is how he is so powerful.

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:46 am

RollsNat20s wrote:Okay so, I was thinking about making an entirely different topic for this, but I suppose that this is close enough on subject, that I just input my thoughts here. So I was just browsing through Magic of Faerun, while playing some harmless d20 modern, when I came across this spell its called 'Spell Engine'. So my first thought was wait, WHAT?! I read it, its an 8th level sorcerer spell that pretty much makes an "indefinite" power supply that explodes dealing massive damage to anything that touches it, much like a Glyph of Warding. But fact of the matter is, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a custom Lesser Spell Engine that doesn't explode, or atleast only at half damage. This could easily be a 6th level spell. Then convert it to Psionics, change the name to Lesser Power Engine, and bottabing bottaboom, you have yourself an indefinite infinite powersource that can be used to draw power from just so long as it is not discharged. And even if a 6th level manifestation, a 12-13 level Psion could easily accomplish such a task. Yeah so I am betting that Psi-Max has some sort of Lesser Power Engine, and that is how he is so powerful.
All it does according to the page you linked to is;
1)Absorbs magic effects like a infinite rod of absorption
2)Blows up if a magic item touches it
3)Give off light like a torch
and 4) makes preparing spells take less time near it
Wouldn't really help a psion, as giving off light like a torch and making preparing spells quicker wouldn't help him. Also, how would a better version of a level 8 spell be level 6?