September 14 2013 Goodbye

Discuss the comic here!
Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Re: September 14 2013 Goodbye

Post by Master TMO » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:07 am

rwstyles wrote:Pity it wasn't 42. Hitchhiker's guide reference. Also very close to the universal constant in Physics. Or it was thought to be long enough for at least one article to be written.
I think I read somewhere that 38 is a significant number also, but can't remember the details of it, and a quick search didn't find it. So I could just be Making Stuff Up again.

Sidewaysgts
Whispers Softly

Post by Sidewaysgts » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:28 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:He wouldn't be harmed by Strontium. He'd be vulnerable to Strontium. It's one of those metals that catches fire in open air in its pure form. That might harm him. The radioactive kind, strontium-90, could be used to make an atomic bomb and that would also harm him. Strontium compounds are mostly harmless and would not harm him in any particular way.
But its atomic number is 38 :ktongue: Which means every atom of the stuff has exactly 38 protons in its nucleus. Pure psimax poison :cheer:

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:30 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
LordWolpertinger wrote:I'm using the same page for my theory (admittedly using the word wrong
Yes, this forum puts forth something more akin to 'rampant speculation'.

Oyarsa wrote: Curious how Thunt will continue to keep it censored for the kiddies though, unless he plans on turning this into an adult comic.
He isn't going adult based on how he really envisions the Onyx character.

I used to be one of "those people" who argued against nudity in Goblins, mostly because I didn't think it would fit. Now I'm not so sure I was right. After seeing that it does "fit". Not in a pervy "oh boobies" way either. That picture really does not take away from the comic, at all. So, I stand corrected.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:36 am

Given the level of violence in this comic, I think it's been 'not for kiddies' for a LONG time!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:53 am

thinkslogically wrote:Given the level of violence in this comic, I think it's been 'not for kiddies' for a LONG time!
true that.. true that...
-Best regards LAYF

Standsinback
Remains Silent

Post by Standsinback » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:33 am

(Had to re-register, ah well.) What would be humorous, yet admittedly rather anti-climatic, would be the following:
Onyx: *sighs, reaches up and moves a gear*
Psimax: "I will no longer tolerate such interrup....." *SPLISHK!"
Onyx: "Gods, he was SO annoying".

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:43 am

Finally, the shading! Is it just me or is Thunt getting better and better at this. Sure, the shading we had before was amazing, but Thunt is really improving almost from page to page

@ Standsinback: Would be funny, but they are too far from the gears and I don't suppose they've managed to get so much control as to be able to affect the maze at will, even if far away from the gears.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:35 am

Standsinback wrote:(Had to re-register, ah well.) What would be humorous, yet admittedly rather anti-climatic, would be the following:
Sapphire: " . . . who was annoying?".

Psimaxs ultimate and overdue fate, just one more person Sapphire don't remember :D

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Question: Any speculation (or funny ideas) of what drink Forgath summoned? (or did I miss that discussion earlier in this thread?) Hopefully it is more than just... a-beer-and-goodbye?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Standsinback wrote:(Had to re-register, ah well.) What would be humorous, yet admittedly rather anti-climatic, would be the following:
Thunt's Tweet did say that we should wait until the next one before complaining...

Maur
Of Few Words

Post by Maur » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Sadly, 38 isnt a number of any isotope stable and common enough. Unsurprisngly, Chlorine and Potassium come close, and Argon actually has a stable 38, but its uncommon. Perhaps for the better, because otherwise Minmax should probably just suffocate or something like that.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:33 pm

OH MY DOG* !

Forgarth can kill him outright.

Badgers and Martins and Racoons and TANUKI ! ! ! all have 38 chromosomes!

Summon animal. Tanuki bites Psimax to death!.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_or ... some_count

*Racoon Dog, that is.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:54 pm

The problem is that it was probably an American Badger and those do not have 38 chromosomes.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:11 pm

Besides how could Forgath possibly even know what a chromosome is, let alone how many of them a badger has? It might amuse us readers but it would make no sense whatsoever to the characters, and Forgath would have no reason to think of trying it (he could do it without thinking, but then would be all like "huh? I mean, whew, but still, huh?").
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Standsinback
Remains Silent

Post by Standsinback » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Glemp wrote:
Thunt's Tweet did say that we should wait until the next one before complaining...
Not complaining at all, just thought it would be humorous. o:)

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:14 am

willpell wrote:Besides how could Forgath possibly even know what a chromosome is, let alone how many of them a badger has? It might amuse us readers but it would make no sense whatsoever to the characters, and Forgath would have no reason to think of trying it (he could do it without thinking, but then would be all like "huh? I mean, whew, but still, huh?").

Well, yes, I see what you guys are saying. However, Minmax didn't know it was only his 38 thumb kata that turned the trick did he, didn't know the significance of why he got the kill. He just accepted it and went on to what he was really confused by. The rules of chess. ;)

So Forgarth not knowing why it happened might not be that much of a stumbling block?. And we did see him cast the spell once before in a sort of "Oh well, I do have a spell to use after all" he knew it wouldn't hurt his opponent, I think it was a delaying tactic that was all?.

Dendr
Whispers Softly

Post by Dendr » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:21 am

WastesTime wrote:The problem is that it was probably an American Badger and those do not have 38 chromosomes.
There's no such place as America

By the way. If you look through the SoW stats, roll 38 says "All non-magical stone within 100 feet of the shield becomes ordinary ice". Interesting... Does it make sense, I wonder?

Starfire
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Starfire

Post by Starfire » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 am

<snip>
HuntsAPanda wrote: I think it was just a Star Wars reference...
Me too - I asked Thunt a long time ago during a live stream drawing and he mentioned that it's his homage to one of the greatest movies. I took that as not having too much to do with the actual comic plot. But then again, it's my interpretation.

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:01 am

Xavier78 wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:
LordWolpertinger wrote:I'm using the same page for my theory (admittedly using the word wrong
Yes, this forum puts forth something more akin to 'rampant speculation'.

Oyarsa wrote: Curious how Thunt will continue to keep it censored for the kiddies though, unless he plans on turning this into an adult comic.
He isn't going adult based on how he really envisions the Onyx character.

I used to be one of "those people" who argued against nudity in Goblins, mostly because I didn't think it would fit. Now I'm not so sure I was right. After seeing that it does "fit". Not in a pervy "oh boobies" way either. That picture really does not take away from the comic, at all. So, I stand corrected.

I would support Thunt providing an alternate 'adult' version of Goblins for those who might appreciate giving him free reign to draw the characters as he sees 'em. The way Thunt would have liked to draw Onyx was more interesting, forcing me to consider the pet spider crawling all over... :P
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:16 am

It just occurred to me that with the shading, Psimax looks like he's made of the same stuff Junior is.

I'm beginning to wonder...
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:24 pm

ForgetsOldName wrote:
Sidewaysgts wrote:
On a side note: Would Psimax be horribly allergic to Strontium?
He wouldn't be harmed by Strontium. He'd be vulnerable to Strontium. It's one of those metals that catches fire in open air in its pure form. That might harm him. The radioactive kind, strontium-90, could be used to make an atomic bomb and that would also harm him. Strontium compounds are mostly harmless and would not harm him in any particular way.
Strontium-90 is radioactive; it is not fissionable. You could use it to make a "dirty bomb", something that scatters nasty radioactives as its primary baleful effect rather than destroying things, but that would require a different explosive element, which could even be a chemical explosive, and isn't what most people think of when they think 'atomic bomb'.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:54 pm

ForgetsOldName wrote:The radioactive kind, strontium-90, could be used to make an atomic bomb and that would also harm him.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no such thing as a "small" atomic bomb, is there? If you tried to make one with a blast radius of like 5 feet, it just wouldn't explode because it couldn't reach critical mass. Thusly, even if a Strontium-90 bomb could kill Psimax, it would almost certainly kill everyone else too.

I wonder...that "mountain-leveling explosion" we heard about....you don't suppose it works by Conjuring a critical mass of radioactive material to the wearer's location from multiple separate storage facilities in the Astral Plane? (Or a single facility on some plane whose variant physical laws prevent atomic reactions.)
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:56 pm

JustRight wrote:I would support Thunt providing an alternate 'adult' version of Goblins for those who might appreciate giving him free reign to draw the characters as he sees 'em. The way Thunt would have liked to draw Onyx was more interesting, forcing me to consider the pet spider crawling all over... :P
But where would she put her bags of moulding? Shouldn't it be 'molding' if it's mini-holding? Thunt's spelling like a Canadian again.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Maur
Of Few Words

Post by Maur » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:03 pm

Wait, Goblins are kid friendly? With all that gross violence? And showing Onyx without bra would make it not so?

That is seriously weird.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:39 am

Maur wrote:Wait, Goblins are kid friendly? With all that gross violence? And showing Onyx without bra would make it not so?

That is seriously weird.
Yes to violence, no to sex. That's USA for you