September 14 2013 Goodbye

Discuss the comic here!
ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Re: September 14 2013 Goodbye

Post by ChuckNorris » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:44 am

thinkslogically wrote:Sure, but I'm putting my money on the Kins being able to use the machine and Onyx's magic (possibly boosted by the machine) to turn the tables on Psymax enough to make it a fair fight. He must also have some kind of penalty for having died I would have thought, even if just a temporary one.

I wonder whether our FMK will flee the maze now, leaving the Kins to battle it out... I also wonder whether our Kin will feel more duty-bound to stay and help or to get the teapot and run with MinMax.
My bet's on his new form hindering his psionics somewhat to make him beatable, but how would the Kins get to the machine past him? Psimax should know well enough to stop them now

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:00 pm

I thought they were already at the machine? Sapphire at least was playing with it last update and they're all in the same place as she is. Might be wrong though.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Another theory... maybe PsiMax will do something to 'take out' MinMax, but not kill him (I was thinking about splisking his thumbs, but no such damage is visible in the scene where he grabs Oblivion with a green-gloved hand).

Maybe he intends to 'force' our FMK out of the maze with a win, just to be rid of them, and wants them all alive for this 'exit'. Maybe in harming MinMax, MM yells something to his Kin about "just grab the jade teapot and leave, now!" ... which of course would turn his armor green.

At any rate, PsiMax then moves his attention on to the others, figuring MM is out of the picture. But, with his back turned to supposedly-disabled MinMax, he is still able to stand up and grab for Oblivion as he surprises PsiMax with a "remember me?" statement just before slicing him in two...

(I'm also dismissing the glow from the sword-grab scene as just glow from the treasure room, and not from where Names is, so please don't side-track this theory rehashing that - I'm just trying to throw out alternate ideas here... :D ).

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:35 pm

thinkslogically wrote:I thought they were already at the machine? Sapphire at least was playing with it last update and they're all in the same place as she is. Might be wrong though.
Onyx was next to the door and all the group are right behind her. Also, I think the walls of the gear room are grey

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Ah ok. My bad then, I'm getting confused where they're all moving around to...

@Stevedj - that could work. If the only way to remove the oblivion-hole variables is to remove MM & Oblivious from the maze, it might make better sense for Psymax to throw them out rather than fight again.

Another theory is that the big guardian monster in the treasure room stomps on Psymax for cheating.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:01 pm

willpell wrote:
Krulle wrote:An Austrian Rum comes to my mind:
Not a universal constant.
38 volume percent of alcohol is as much 38 as it can get within the decimal system. As much as the 38 ways to kill using only his thumbs.

Stroh 38 has 38 vol% alcohol
Stroh 40 has 40 vol% alcohol
Stroh 60 has 60 vol% alcohol
Stroh 80 has 80 vol% alcohol
The name has no random meaning, but is a direct consequence of using the decimal system.

And it does not need to be a constant. If Minmax learns a new way to kill using only his thumbs, it would not be 38 anymore. Therefore, the weakness does not need to be a constant.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
it's fully funded, and all realistic stretch goals reached!

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:44 pm

thinkslogically wrote:I thought they were already at the machine? Sapphire at least was playing with it last update and they're all in the same place as she is. Might be wrong though.
Ooh, I wonder if one of the Kins might sacrifice herself to kill PsiMax by teleporting him to Position Zero while standing there herself?
All hail the power of the stick!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Krulle wrote:
willpell wrote:
Krulle wrote:An Austrian Rum comes to my mind:
Not a universal constant.
38 volume percent of alcohol is as much 38 as it can get within the decimal system. As much as the 38 ways to kill using only his thumbs.
not really. because, % is not a universal constant... 38 times, units or such is.. but 38% is just a definition within the metric system, as we have defined % as 100 parts of a whole.. the universe e does not share this definition of a whole with us.. a whole would b X number of atoms, stones, actions or such... not 100 atoms, stones or actions. (unless the object happened to be made of that exact number of objects and so one)
-Best regards LAYF

T' Northerner
Of Few Words

Post by T' Northerner » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:02 pm

38% isn't arbitrary or linked to any set of units, it's is a ratio and therefore universal. However, it corresponds to the number 0.38 rather than 38.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:07 pm

ratio or not... % is and will newer be universal... the universe does not count to 1 by dividing 1 into 100 0.01's
if you asked the Romans what half a bottle was, they would newer answer 50% but maybe 1/2 because the notion of % was not invented. yet everyone would could know that 1 half would be 1 out of 2
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:13 pm

I always assumed that the 'universal constant' was a meta-reference to things that were written on the character sheets or in the DM's game notes. That's why Minmax's thumb trick and Reality 38 counted, but not the other stuff.

Errant_Dutchman
Of Few Words

Post by Errant_Dutchman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Rather than something with 38% alcohol (which is never exactly 38 percent anyway), how about summoning that one special dwarven tea brewed from 38 different herbs, or an ale aged for 38 days?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Hmm.. I see what you mean.. but then realty numbers would not be a constant (reality 38 in this case)
the reality number must be a constant because its either; the #th reality in existence, the #th reality to be "loaded" into the MoM or some other such.
the Thumb kill is a 38 constant because he can do the same thing 38 different ways. that is, given 38 actions, he could do it 38 unique times, but no more. and apparently Actions are a constant in the universe along the line of the same thing as speed of light in vacuum or Newtonian constant of gravitation (is expected to be) in our universe...
Errant_Dutchman wrote:Rather than something with 38% alcohol (which is never exactly 38 percent anyway), how about summoning that one special dwarven tea brewed from 38 different herbs, or an ale aged for 38 days?

HERETIC!!! BURN IT.. BURN IT.... like dwarfs would ever drink tea >:?

;) :P
-Best regards LAYF

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:30 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote: HERETIC!!! BURN IT.. BURN IT.... like dwarfs would ever drink tea >:?

What if it's fermented and doubles as a varnish remover?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:31 pm

DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:
LooksAtYouFunny wrote: HERETIC!!! BURN IT.. BURN IT.... like dwarfs would ever drink tea >:?

What if it's fermented and doubles as a varnish remover?
then we can talk....
-Best regards LAYF

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:43 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:ratio or not... % is and will newer be universal... the universe does not count to 1 by dividing 1 into 100 0.01's
if you asked the Romans what half a bottle was, they would newer answer 50% but maybe 1/2 because the notion of % was not invented. yet everyone would could know that 1 half would be 1 out of 2
Romans probably did know what per cent was, as it's from the Latin :P

Not to nitpick or anything.
In Ancient Rome, long before the existence of the decimal system, computations were often made in fractions which were multiples of 1/100. For example Augustus levied a tax of 1/100 on goods sold at auction known as centesima rerum venalium. Computation with these fractions was similar to computing percentages.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:08 pm

nikohl wrote:
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:ratio or not... % is and will newer be universal... the universe does not count to 1 by dividing 1 into 100 0.01's
Romans probably did know what per cent was, as it's from the Latin :P

Not to nitpick or anything.
In Ancient Rome, long before the existence of the decimal system, computations were often made in fractions which were multiples of 1/100. For example Augustus levied a tax of 1/100 on goods sold at auction known as centesima rerum venalium. Computation with these fractions was similar to computing percentages.
ah okay.... I thought % came along with the 0-9 numeral system.. but of cause.. tehy do have I-V-X-L-C-D-M
so... they do count by 10 and 100... so.. makes sense...

then BEFORE the Romans.... back to the old trade systems, when they knew what 3 cows was.... but not that 3 of 3 was 100 times 0.01 ;)

EDIT: Oh.. and I'm getting out of topic... will stop now...
-Best regards LAYF

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Pity it wasn't 42. Hitchhiker's guide reference. Also very close to the universal constant in Physics. Or it was thought to be long enough for at least one article to be written.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Well that tells us what our reality number is...personally, I always suspected it was 666, but clearly I'm not a physicist.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:Ooh, I wonder if one of the Kins might sacrifice herself to kill PsiMax by teleporting him to Position Zero while standing there herself?
Or worse... Ruby sends him to OUR Kin's position, killing her for "loving the human", while she escapes into MM and Forgath's reality with the teapot. That would satisfy the prophecy...
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

QuakeIV
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:49 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:
Unlucky-for-Some wrote:Ooh, I wonder if one of the Kins might sacrifice herself to kill PsiMax by teleporting him to Position Zero while standing there herself?
Or worse... Ruby sends him to OUR Kin's position, killing her for "loving the human", while she escapes into MM and Forgath's reality with the teapot. That would satisfy the prophecy...

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:03 pm

that could sort of work out ... teleport to position zero ... PsiMax and (for example) Sapphire die. Onyx tinkers with gears some more ensuring that upon the reset PsiMax is properly neutered and then FMK step into the winners circle. MoM resets. Three Kins start together and PsiMax gets the first of his many kickings at the hands of his own Kin and Forgath.

Curtain falls... happiness abounds (except for PsiMax of course. But he's a dink, so ... :shrug: )
All hail the power of the stick!

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:18 am

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:
Ooh, I wonder if one of the Kins might sacrifice herself to kill PsiMax by teleporting him to Position Zero while standing there herself?
Chekhov's gun-laying coordinates? That is a good idea, but maybe one of them, being quick thinkers and good at math, could put him above a oblivion hole, just as he took a big step?.

Sidewaysgts
Whispers Softly

Post by Sidewaysgts » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:14 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Hmm.. I see what you mean.. but then realty numbers would not be a constant (reality 38 in this case)
the reality number must be a constant because its either; the #th reality in existence, the #th reality to be "loaded" into the MoM or some other such.
the Thumb kill is a 38 constant because he can do the same thing 38 different ways. that is, given 38 actions, he could do it 38 unique times, but no more. and apparently Actions are a constant in the universe along the line of the same thing as speed of light in vacuum or Newtonian constant of gravitation (is expected to be) in our universe...
Or its possible that were looking at the thumb-thing all wrong. Maybe its not because Minmax "knows 38 ways" to kill someone with his thumbs (I mean with this logic, if he learned a 39th technique, it would no longer work- Correct?) MAYBE its because he used the 38th technique he learned. Even if he learned another technique- The 38th technique will always be the 38th technique.

On a side note: Would Psimax be horribly allergic to Strontium?

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:00 am

Sidewaysgts wrote:
On a side note: Would Psimax be horribly allergic to Strontium?
He wouldn't be harmed by Strontium. He'd be vulnerable to Strontium. It's one of those metals that catches fire in open air in its pure form. That might harm him. The radioactive kind, strontium-90, could be used to make an atomic bomb and that would also harm him. Strontium compounds are mostly harmless and would not harm him in any particular way.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.