Things You Never Noticed Before

Discuss the comic here!
SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: Things You Never Noticed Before

Post by SamWiser » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:46 pm

Don't worry about it. I thought it was funny. :lol:
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Actually I think Complains got the grate leading straight into torture chamber with clear view of Fumbles.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:01 pm

I think it was the guards, too. If you skip ahead to the scene with the guards, they can hear Fumbles crying for the GAP not to leave him. http://www.goblinscomic.com/01212007/

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:23 pm

If you go back a few pages, Thaco tells Complains to go over to the other grate and signal to them if he sees guards
I'm no ordinary biscuit. Just look at my horns.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:37 am

Phew... glad we cleared that up.... Also, he never says "He tells everyone: GUYS! come and look at this! " He THINKS "Oh sonova crap! C'mon guys, look over here!"... as in, "Guards are coming, I need to stay silent, but need to get your attention to alert you, look at me, dammit!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Jotunheim
Of Few Words
UStream Username: Jotunheim

Post by Jotunheim » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:19 am

...Isn't this thread sorta slowly devolving into "Try to find things in the comic that have an increasing unlikelyhood of having gone unnoticed (or simply have been misunderstood by the poster)" more so than being about stuff you hadn't noticed before?
Art Thread (You should go look! It has artwork! :O)
I can be PMed for commissions and questions and such :)

I will rise up from the chaos
I will rise up from the grave
A brother to the darkness
A master to the slave

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:12 am

Go ahead, you're welcome to find something NOONE ever noticed before - not even Thunt himself.

Melkior
Remains Silent

Re: Mar 9 2013: Minmax' Choice

Post by Melkior » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:47 am

I'm still learning how to drive this crazy forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong area. I can't see how to create a new thread.

I was re-reading some previous comics and I suddenly realised something about Minmax's oblivion-sword.

The oblivion which the sword copied "belongs" to the MoM reality. Therefore when Minmax leaves the MoM, the oblivion which Minmax's sword copied should not be able to leave that reality to enter "our" reality. If the MoM oblivion could transit to "our" reality, then psion-Minmax's calculations couldn't be correct since he'd have had to account for the MoM oblivion moving to a different reality.

Putting it another way, the MoM oblivion was specifically calculated to work inside the MoM "pocket" universe and wouldn't work anywhere else because other realities have too many variables to enable oblivion to be calculated. Therefore MoM oblivion cannot exist (or not exist, in this case), in any other reality.

Therefore, Minmax's sword should either cease to exist or return to its previous state when he returns to "our" reality.

It's my opinion that the MoM oblivion should collapse due to the changed requirements for oblivion to exist in "our" universe, and Minmax's sword should return to its previous state.

Have fun arguing that one. >:D
Last edited by LAYF on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to this thread. As it is an "General" Speculation, rather than "one comic strip specific"

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Actually, I was thinking something similar but couldn't find the words. At any rate, the way Minimax can reach through time is a mighty big indication you/we're probably on to something.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Well, I hadn't thought about it, but Minmax does have a history of losing swords.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:24 pm

I did think the "sword that can copy anything" was a cool enough concept that it was a shame Minmax broke it. I wouldn't mind a bit if it came back.

The thing that always bugs me though...oblivion holes are white, so why did replicating one turn the sword black?
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:41 pm

willpell wrote:The thing that always bugs me though...oblivion holes are white, so why did replicating one turn the sword black?
Rule of cool. 8)

WokkaWokka
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by WokkaWokka » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:20 pm

willpell wrote:The thing that always bugs me though...oblivion holes are white, so why did replicating one turn the sword black?
In the visible light spectrum, white is the presence of all light-waves... black is the absence of all light-waves...

As for physical object color, black is the presence of all colors... white is the absence of all colors...

If I remember my art/science classes from ages ago correctly, this is since the color of a physical object indicates what light-waves are absorbed/reflected by that object.

Therefore, the Oblivion holes are a physical object since the sword could touch them. So Oblivion reflects all colors of light, likely because there is nothing there beyond the Oblivion to reflect anything. The sword Oblivious however, is not Oblivion itself, but it copied portions of the Oblivion-hole's natural properties. Still, it maintains some physical matter properties relevant to a sword. Therefore, because it has a physical construct, the black color indicates that it reflects no light.

I'm not sure if I fully understand the color choice, but this seems to make some sense to me. It had to be black because there was still a physical matter aspect to it, kind of like a "black hole" actually being a point of dense matter where gravity is so strong light doesn't escape it. Whereas Oblivion having no matter, would be the opposite, a 'white-hole'.

martinthegoblin
Remains Silent

Post by martinthegoblin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:54 pm

I agree with your assessment of Oblivious.

But, before this continues, take a look at the bald man in the far left of the last panel here: http://www.goblinscomic.com/comics/20081011.jpg

And then at the talking wall here: http://www.goblinscomic.com/comics/20081110.jpg

Just thought I'd point out who the wall was...

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:09 am

martinthegoblin wrote:Just thought I'd point out who the wall was...
I'm not sure if that's the specific guy, but there does seem to be general agreement that that's when the Wall's Face was created.

Also, welcome to the forums. :)

filip
Remains Silent

Post by filip » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:35 am

Sorry if this was pointed out, but i love this GS vs MM reference
http://www.goblinscomic.com/03252013/
http://www.goblinscomic.com/03162010/

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:37 am

Ah.. yes.. you are right... had not noted that... dont know if other have... but cool catch :)
Same facial expression and stance 100% fom MM... close for GS.

maybee post it http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=268
that post is about that specific update :)
But it fits nice in here two...
-Best regards LAYF

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:14 am

And there is Forgath behind them too.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:21 am

gamecreator wrote:And there is Forgath behind them too.
That giant version? I dont see the comparrison... or am i overlooking something?
-Best regards LAYF

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:23 am

Forgath on the background of MM and GS fighting on both panels.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:25 am

ah... yes... I was thinking more in a Pose kin of thing...
-Best regards LAYF

Starfire
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Starfire

Post by Starfire » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:02 am

Marnath wrote:
willpell wrote:
Glemp wrote:Speaking of Brassmoon...
This fine elite has a reflective breastplate. No other piece of armour, not even his helmet (which he should be polishing with the same care and attention), does this. Weird.
I think that's because he was turned to glass or silver or something by the Shield.
In the panel immediately after that one, and two pages later you can see that he is turning into a mirror. http://www.goblinscomic.com/11102008/
Wow, I just noticed for the first time that the Brassmoon City Wall is making a silent scream of horror face. Awesome!

martinthegoblin
Remains Silent

Post by martinthegoblin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:14 am

Whoever said it was silent? I imagine it was quite loud since the wall can still speak.

Starfire
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Starfire

Post by Starfire » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:21 am

It's silent to me. I think it has a greater impact in my mind that a talking wall is speechless during the battle. It's kind of the same reaction I'd have... knowing that I could do nothing but stare at it and hope it goes away before the chaos of the battle took me with it.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:52 am

The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.