19th June 2013-Get 'Im

Discuss the comic here!
Gurkenglas
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: 19th June 2013-Get 'Im

Post by Gurkenglas » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:48 am

To the poster above me: Nope, those were the remnants of Forgaths Inflict Light Wounds here: http://www.goblinscomic.org/02052013/
Has nobody got anything to say to the post 6 posts above this one?

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Boo!

mnem
'nuff sed.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:58 pm

I hope they all charge at Psimax, and there's too many to splishk, so he just teleports back to the control room to deal with Kin, and winds up getting an adorable spider to the face. After being cuddled by a fuzzy widdle arachnid, he'd vow to change his ways, and use his knowledge of the maze to give Kin back her tail, and remove her collar. He'd give Minmax a brain, and Forgath a lighter mace.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Post by bcas77 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Gurkenglas wrote:To the poster above me: Nope, those were the remnants of Forgaths Inflict Light Wounds here: http://www.goblinscomic.org/02052013/
I've asked a question to the forum twice and gotten nothing, so don't expect a response.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:42 pm

bcas77 wrote:
Gurkenglas wrote:To the poster above me: Nope, those were the remnants of Forgaths Inflict Light Wounds here: http://www.goblinscomic.org/02052013/
I've asked a question to the forum twice and gotten nothing, so don't expect a response.
What questions did you ask? Sorry, sometimes individual posts can get buried in between others.

Gurkenglas, I read your post, and I could make neither heads nor tails of it. I think that's more owing to my lack of dnd knowledge than your post though, so sorry. No thoughts.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Post by bcas77 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:49 pm

SamWiser wrote:What questions did you ask? Sorry, sometimes individual posts can get buried in between others.
I was asking why everyone was under the assumption that the winners only got one piece of loot when on this page: http://www.goblinscomic.org/02112011-4/ on the 6th panel Kin states that the winners get all the loot.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:54 pm

Yeah, I don't know where that theory came from. It seems a lot of random theories come and go, though some of them turn out to be correct.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:31 pm

bcas77 wrote:
SamWiser wrote:What questions did you ask? Sorry, sometimes individual posts can get buried in between others.
I was asking why everyone was under the assumption that the winners only got one piece of loot when on this page: http://www.goblinscomic.org/02112011-4/ on the 6th panel Kin states that the winners get all the loot.
If I had to guess, I'd say that the reason you receive no responses is because the people who read your question didn't have the assumption you mentioned. That's not to say that no one had that assumption, but just the people who read your post did not. So, they probably didn't feel like they had anything to respond with.

That, and you don't have an avatar; it's easy to accidentally scroll past posts that don't have a little image on the right-hand side. I've scrolled past Thunt's posts for this same reason, and he even has a red username.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:19 am

bcas77 wrote:
I fire and forget, then remember and check back on it and shrug it off if I haven't gotten one. If I don't get a response, no big deal. Don't take a pessimistic attitude about a forum post; just enjoy the comic and contribute if you think you can via question or response without concern of the end all impact it will have.

Besides, awesome way to surprise yourself if someone takes off with your theory and turns it into a massive 'point of post' discussion!

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:39 am

Gurkenglas wrote:Psimax might have forced his Kin and Forgath to kill the rest of the mazes inhabitants again and again, since his team didnt reset correctly when the maze was set back. So his team farms the first 50 of its Psimax-containing runs to get everyone up to lvl 12, then he and his Kin kill Forgath for the next 300 runs to get up to lvl 16, then he "defeats" her for another 150 runs to get to epic level, and then he spends 400 more runs constructing his universe machine by trapping the souls of the Forgath and Kin of a single given team in each of its gears and kicking the Minmax out by letting him "win", preventing the escape of his companions by the trapping of their souls. After that, a few dozen runs to scientifically determinine the true rules of the maze and here we are.
Sounds plausible, except for the mechanism of trapping souls to construct the universe machine; I'm not sure why it needs souls to function, or how a Psion could use trapped souls to run his powers (but I'm no expert on Psions).

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:32 am

I totally missed that, thank you. It was probably mentioned before when the scene with her tail looking like that first showed up and it went over my head.

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Post by bcas77 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:21 am

RidcullyJack wrote:Sounds plausible, except for the mechanism of trapping souls to construct the universe machine; I'm not sure why it needs souls to function, or how a Psion could use trapped souls to run his powers (but I'm no expert on Psions).
My theory is that the machine is powered by the inherent energy of the underling's sword. The true purpose for the sword's energy is destruction, so if PsiMax is using it, then it's happy. Kin says that it's powers like this that they were not able to understand, but PsiMax would easily be able to I'm sure.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:51 am

bcas77 wrote:
Nobody answered you because that question had already been asked and answered long before you came along. The phrase "READ MOAR" is considered by some parties to constitute an appropriate retort at such junctures as this.
RidcullyJack wrote:
Gurkenglas wrote:Psimax might have forced his Kin and Forgath to kill the rest of the mazes inhabitants again and again, since his team didnt reset correctly when the maze was set back. So his team farms the first 50 of its Psimax-containing runs to get everyone up to lvl 12, then he and his Kin kill Forgath for the next 300 runs to get up to lvl 16, then he "defeats" her for another 150 runs to get to epic level, and then he spends 400 more runs constructing his universe machine by trapping the souls of the Forgath and Kin of a single given team in each of its gears and kicking the Minmax out by letting him "win", preventing the escape of his companions by the trapping of their souls. After that, a few dozen runs to scientifically determinine the true rules of the maze and here we are.
Sounds plausible, except for the mechanism of trapping souls to construct the universe machine; I'm not sure why it needs souls to function, or how a Psion could use trapped souls to run his powers (but I'm no expert on Psions).
Yeah I have no idea where he's getting that from. Psions shouldn't really even acknowledge the soul as a concept; it's contrary to their overarching metaphor (that their powers are "scientific", unlike all this superstitious gobbledygook about 'spells').
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:24 am

willpell wrote:
RidcullyJack wrote:
Yeah I have no idea where he's getting that from. Psions shouldn't really even acknowledge the soul as a concept; it's contrary to their overarching metaphor (that their powers are "scientific", unlike all this superstitious gobbledygook about 'spells').
Well, some scientists accept souls as a fact, some as a possibility and some as a myth. Scientists are all over the board with personal views on things like souls and religion and I don't see why Psions would be different. I totally agree that PsiMax doesn't seem like the type to believe in the soul though and I have never heard of Psions trapping souls.

I do like to imagine PsiMax standing in a labcoat, with goggles on and SPHLISKing mice and then taking extensive notes on a clipboard.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:51 am

I believe the one piece of loot theory came from the idea that they would somehow be dashing for the teleport circle while jousting with Psimax, the golem fountain, the three Kins, whatever else you can think of. It was part of speculation about questions like "What would happen if a Kin entered the winner's circle without her Forgath and Minmax?"

Remember that Forgath and Kin were at one point dashing to enter the winner's circle. Their plan was to win and exit before Minmax died on the tower. Kin grabs the teapot, Forgath grabs the two closest objects, they hop in the teleport circle and end up back in the forest with Minmax the miserable at their side.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Eustace
Remains Silent

Post by Eustace » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Interesting that Psimax mentions 11 upset minor variables and then we see 11 upset characters. Coincidence? I think not.

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Eustace wrote:Interesting that Psimax mentions 11 upset minor variables and then we see 11 upset characters. Coincidence? I think not.
Um yeah, that's been mentioned a couple dozen times now. It's pretty clear that's what he meant.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:28 pm

BeanDip wrote:Well, some scientists accept souls as a fact
Do you have evidence to support that hypothesis? My knee-jerk reflex is to say that anyone who accepts anything as a fact without having proof needs to turn in their scienceing license....
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:42 pm

Many scientists are religious, and have been in the past. If you don't believe this then look at these three lists of Christians in Science, Jesuits in Science, and Quakers in Science. Belief in God is perfectly logical, and is in no way inconsistent with modern science. If people who believed things without proof couldn't do science, then we would be in the dark ages today as most of the people in the history of science believed things without scientific proof. If that is the attitude of modern scientists, then I am ashamed of my enjoyment of the subject.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Your.Master
Mutters to Themself

Post by Your.Master » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:45 pm

They may accept souls as fact; however, they may not accept souls as <i>scientific</i> fact.

Now, whether psions accept souls as *ahem* <i>psientific</i> fact is another question.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Marnath wrote:
Eustace wrote:Interesting that Psimax mentions 11 upset minor variables and then we see 11 upset characters. Coincidence? I think not.
Um yeah, that's been mentioned a couple dozen times now. It's pretty clear that's what he meant.
It's funnier if that wasn't what he meant. Seems to me his variables are likely to be much more mathematical and abstract than a simple assignment of 'one person = one variable'. So he's musing, almost at leisure, no hurry in the world, everything still under perfect control, over his equations and the, hmm, yes... eleven easy small adjustments he'll have to make to them. No prob-

Uh-oh.

His hilarious change of expression when he sees the eleven angry alts closing in on him suggests to me that they're not what he had been thinking about at all.
► Show Spoiler

Sushulana
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Sushulana » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:49 pm

Sessine wrote:His hilarious change of expression when he sees the eleven angry alts closing in on him suggests to me that they're not what he had been thinking about at all.
Mayhaps he's at that point (at long last0 where a Psion's power begins to run low?

I mean, c'mon guys, how many Psions just go around making anyone they don't like go SPLAT all day just by snapping their fingers?

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:53 am

Sessine wrote:[
It's funnier if that wasn't what he meant. Seems to me his variables are likely to be much more mathematical and abstract than a simple assignment of 'one person = one variable'. So he's musing, almost at leisure, no hurry in the world, everything still under perfect control, over his equations and the, hmm, yes... eleven easy small adjustments he'll have to make to them. No prob-

Uh-oh.

His hilarious change of expression when he sees the eleven angry alts closing in on him suggests to me that they're not what he had been thinking about at all.
Those aren't the variables you are looking for. :lol:

I agree. I think the variables that Psimax is talking about have to do with the manipulation of the oblivion machine. The cogs have moved, changing their values slightly.

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:08 am

Sessine wrote:His hilarious change of expression when he sees the eleven angry alts closing in on him suggests to me that they're not what he had been thinking about at all.
He was interrupted at the word, "easily" by the 11 alts looking rather menacing. I interpreted it as "Uh, oh, these 11 variables may not be as easy as I thought." I still think that the 11 alts are the 11 variables and Kin changed them when she used the PA system to announce PsiMax's plan. Thinking of people as variables seems very in keeping with PsiMax's character.

On another note, what if the alts decide that the best way to prevent MinMax from drawing his sword is to kill MinMax?
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:12 am

Zwums wrote:Biskin (biscuit/kin) intrigues me. So does little Trollgath. And weird tall blue minmax. I want atsplanations for them ALL
"Biskin". That's perfect. I want altsplanations for all of them, too. :)
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"