September 9th, 2013: What a Pity.

Discuss the comic here!
Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Re: September 9th, 2013: What a Pity.

Post by Jochi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:28 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:
Jochi wrote:"a disreputable or ill-tempered woman." Carried in most dictionaries as Jade 2, since it has a different origin than Jade 1, the stone and shade of green.
Definition 2, the first being "a worn-out, broken-down, worthless, or vicious horse".
It is this word that is being referred to when someone says they are "jaded", not the supposed medical benefits of the stone in treating colic.
So would that make Jackie Chan Adventures misogynistic? But Jade was my favorite character. :(
Jade is a common-enough name for fictional characters with some kind of Oriental connection.
I should know. ;) (And I'd have mentioned Race Bannon's love interest, but I'm old.)
OTOH, the thoughts of another of my facets, the pirate, immediately go to verse 5 of "Fifteen Men on a Dead Man's Chest".
I was just saying I hoped Kin made the correct connection.

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Re: September 9th, 2013: What a Pity.

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:29 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:
Jochi wrote:"a disreputable or ill-tempered woman." Carried in most dictionaries as Jade 2, since it has a different origin than Jade 1, the stone and shade of green.
Definition 2, the first being "a worn-out, broken-down, worthless, or vicious horse".
It is this word that is being referred to when someone says they are "jaded", not the supposed medical benefits of the stone in treating colic.
So would that make Jackie Chan Adventures misogynistic? But Jade was my favorite character. :(
I think it's pretty safe to assume that someone named Jade is being named for the stone or the colour rather than the other interpretation :)
All hail the power of the stick!