July 1st, 2013 Grossly Overpowered

Discuss the comic here!
EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Re: July 1st, 2013 Grossly Overpowered

Post by EatsAPeach » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:09 am

I'm thinking they should toss a couple of gears into an oblivion hole, or maybe the entire machine.
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
--Jack D. Ripper, Gen. USAF, ca. 1963

rbos
Remains Silent

Post by rbos » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 am

The number's prime factorization is 3^2*8657204383. That could .. (sunglasses on) factor into the solution.

Gazirra
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Gazirra » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:38 am

I looked at the number for a few minutes last night before bed, and I came up with something:

Take each grouping of numbers, convert them into decimal numbers, then into hexadecimal values, yielding EE14f. Throw in a zero in front of it, then input it into am html color generator thingie:

Cool thing that happens when you reverse it:

Maybe a green IME? :) Kin's, perhaps?

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:46 am

That all seems way too complicated. I think the solution will be something simpler and a "D'Oh why didn't we see that!" kind of thing. I think anything involving computers will be outside the realm of the Kins' knowledge.

_sl0t_
Remains Silent

Post by _sl0t_ » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:50 am

"You don't know my Minmax"

Seriously, my heart skipped a beat. Nobody else felt that?

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:28 am

_sl0t_ wrote:"You don't know my Minmax"

They don't have 'KEN' collars, so she's right. Their MM's are lesser men. They may have even dumped their MM and Forgath, and that's why they aren't ready to release Forgath. They may be about to find out what she sees in him.
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 am

friedkitty wrote:That all seems way too complicated. I think the solution will be something simpler and a "D'Oh why didn't we see that!" kind of thing. I think anything involving computers will be outside the realm of the Kins' knowledge.
That's now what I'm thinking too. She sat there for quite a bit trying to calculate that number.

Suppose a moment later, she says something like: "Oops... the number is really 77,914,839,448" ... and upon uttering that final "8", all hell breaks lose on PsiMax! :lol:
EatsAPeach wrote:I'm thinking they should toss a couple of gears into an oblivion hole, or maybe the entire machine.
Interesting idea. So they throw a gear or two into a hole... PsiMax soon realizes that his machines is out of whack... but cannot remember what is missing! :lol:

Gazirra
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Gazirra » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 am

friedkitty wrote:That all seems way too complicated. I think the solution will be something simpler and a "D'Oh why didn't we see that!" kind of thing. I think anything involving computers will be outside the realm of the Kins' knowledge.
My method doesn't need to be used in-game for the results to be correct. Maybe there's some sort of Thuntverse reasoning? I dunno, I just like what I got when I applied the number this way :)

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:40 am

Gazirra wrote:
My method doesn't need to be used in-game for the results to be correct. Maybe there's some sort of Thuntverse reasoning? I dunno, I just like what I got when I applied the number this way :)

It probably will be something much simpler, but I do like that your method came up with a color darn near his IME
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

wonderdrow
Mutters to Themself

Post by wonderdrow » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:48 am

Maybe the single digits of the number 77,914,839,447 need to be brought into an equation for them to make sense to PsyMax.

(7 * 7) - (9+1+4+8+3+9+4+4) - 7
=
49 - 42 - 7
=

Newbei
Remains Silent

Post by Newbei » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Gazirra wrote:I looked at the number for a few minutes last night before bed, and I came up with something:

Take each grouping of numbers, convert them into decimal numbers, then into hexadecimal values, yielding EE14f. Throw in a zero in front of it, then input it into am html color generator thingie:

Cool thing that happens when you reverse it:

Maybe a green IME? :) Kin's, perhaps?
That's pretty epic, especially when you consider the utterly important and cool quote: Love is the most efficient way to inject nausea into mathematical calculations.

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Minmax is a monster hater. They are nothing but XP to him. The chances of him falling in love with a monster like that are extremely slim. The chances of her loving him back, that's got to be something like 77,914,839,447 : 1 against!

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:32 pm

friedkitty wrote:Minmax is a monster hater. They are nothing but XP to him. The chances of him falling in love with a monster like that are extremely slim. The chances of her loving him back, that's got to be something like 77,914,839,447 : 1 against!
what if that was the chance that a non-Yuanti had to "see" Yuanti? So if MM and Kin actually were in love, that would cause PM to immolate.

Plus, MM doesn't see Kin as a monster.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:38 pm

I am actually expecting the Kinfolk to dial his weakness over to something attainable, like the color blue? Or concentrate it in his belt buckle because he forgot to inscribe I AM GREAT on it?
I have great hopes for the oblivion holes. I can see him trying to get past "But there was never a gear there. I left it open on purpose."

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Wolfie wrote:Plus, MM doesn't see Kin as a monster.
http://www.goblinscomic.org/02232010/
Not anymore he doesn't. But in the other realities he possibly still does. Hence the improbability of love happening.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Now if he had actually Min-Maxed himself, the original meaning of which was to maximize the minimums, he wouldn't have any weaknesses at the cost of lowered maximums, but nooo. He had to Maxi-Max himself, which can leave rather bad worst-case minimums. Stab him with a yellow #2 pencil!

ETA: the color of the pencil. That's important too.
Last edited by DrinksTooMuchCoffee on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gazirra
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Gazirra » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:50 pm

DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:Now if he had actually Min-Maxed himself, the original meaning of which was to maximize the minimums, he wouldn't have any weaknesses at the cost of lowered maximums, but nooo. He had to Maxi-Max himself, which can leave rather bad worst-case minimums. Stab him with a #2 pencil!
Or maybe a #77,914,839,447 Pencil?

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:17 pm

:laugh: What kind of graphite would that use?
And I don't know. I don't really feel like there's a big meaning behind the number, more of Thunt saying, "Hmmm...need a big number..." *randomly mash against keyboard* "Perfecccctt!"
I am high in fructose.

Minmask
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: minmask

Post by Minmask » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Not sure if this has been said already (Don't feel like digging through 5 pages), but what if the AltKins are able to play with the gears to change the weakness number to 0, and then Oblivious can kill PsiMax?

Of course, this implies that they find a way to hit him before he uses it to change the major variable.

Mytical
Mutters to Themself

Post by Mytical » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Ok, have we ever seen Psymax's belt? Could it have the binary equivalent of the number on it? Maybe hitting him on his belt could do the trick :P

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:39 pm

Yes, we've seen his belt, it's there in the current comic about as big as we've ever seen it. It seems that many Minmaxes like their belt buckles, but Psimax doesn't like his enough to get writing on it.
The Minmax of reality 51 has "I am great" in binary on his belt buckle.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:40 pm

Mytical wrote:Ok, have we ever seen Psymax's belt? Could it have the binary equivalent of the number on it? Maybe hitting him on his belt could do the trick :P
Psymax's belt buckle appears to be blank. It could have some sort of psionic invisible ink on it, but he really doesn't seem like the I AM GREAT type. (The belt buckle in binary is Wizmax.)
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:14 pm

It just occurred to me that the entire Maze of Many story arc might be taking place as the players try to entertain themselves while Herbert is in the bathroom. It would explain a lot.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

tiberiian
Remains Silent

Post by tiberiian » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:21 am

77,914,839,447 is divisible by 3, so, 3 is linked to that number?

Sushulana
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Sushulana » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:28 am

_sl0t_ wrote:"You don't know my Minmax"

Apparently, that sword isn't the only thing that should be called oblivious.

Humanity sure is becoming cold and creepy, isn't it?