10th June 2013: BROW

Discuss the comic here!
bcas77
Whispers Softly

Re: 10th June 2013: BROW

Post by bcas77 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:09 pm

EatsAPeach wrote:Now, if MinMax reached for PsiMax' heart and grabbed the sword when he was about to touch PM's chest, the sword would be all the way through PM's chest. Wonder how badly you could damage him before he'd die?
Would it be through his chest though? If Minmax's hand stopped just short of PsiMax's chest and then reached for Oblivious, then the sword would still be in the past until he had drawn it. I think it would depend on how long the sword could remain in the past. If it is only there for a moment, then yes, it would materialize into PsiMax. If it needed to be removed from the past, then he would have to fight like normal. (Yea? Nae?)

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:30 am

I think you're right, bcas77. Minmax has to reach into the past like someone reaching into a container. If he decided that the opening of the container would be inside Psymax, then he wouldn't be able to reach it, which would prevent it from being able to materialize to begin with. The best he could do is draw Oblivious from the surface of Psimax's skin/clothing.

Speaking of which, why doesn't Psimax wear a shirt? Is he just so proud of his workout routine that he feels the need to show off? I don't think the other Altmaxes are impressed.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

mertol
Whispers Softly

Post by mertol » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:33 am

Probably traded his ability to wear armor/shirt for something.

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Re: 10th June 2013: BROWBEATING

Post by EatsAPeach » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:48 am

Speculation is nearly useless since apparently Oblivious can do any insane thing, no matter how illogical, as long as MinMax thinks it will work. He might draw one with each hand, or shoot a laser out of it, or make it grow a face and tell bad jokes. That would upset the calculations all right.

He's a working man, he speeds his plow, he earns his bread by the sweat of his BROWWWW!
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
--Jack D. Ripper, Gen. USAF, ca. 1963

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Post by bcas77 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:51 am

He probably doesn't wear a shirt because he can't fit his arms through the sleeves. I mean look at those things!

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Post by bcas77 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:00 am

And here's another thing on a different subject. Why does everyone think that the winners can only take one piece of loot? I was looking through the archives and found this:

http://www.goblinscomic.org/02112011-4/

6th panel, Kin says that the winners will receive all the treasure including the Jade Teapot, and the ability to return back to their reality.

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:24 am

I don't see it as the sword being in PM's chest. I see it as a time rift opening in PM's chest, from which MM would pull oblivious. The question is, would a time rift opening in your chest hurt you? I'm thinking not, as it's not a literal hole, and it would close up AFTER MM pulled oblivious out, thus oblivious would not be IN PM. So MM would have to then stab PM, :stab: which still gives PMthe opportunity to grab it, or splishk MM or what have you.

I don't think with the way the sword has been shown to be drawn, that he can use the drawing itself to damage PM. The theory about "pulling PM into oblivion" is completely wrong. The hole is a time rift, not an oblivion hole. adn there is no in-between stage, he would simply pull PM into the future if PM stayed attached to the sword, which I don't think would happen. Ifthe sword is in PM, and MM lets it go, he would essentially be giving oblivious to PM, which would then destroy the sword, as it can ONLY be wielded and affected by MM. Either that or he would reach through time and pull it out of PM the next time it was drawn, not pull PM through the rift.

I knowe that's kind of rambling, but I am running on 0% caffiene right now.

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Re: 10th June 2013: BROW WOW WOW

Post by EatsAPeach » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:51 am

PM's nasty arms might tend to shrivel up his shirts after a few hours, or maybe he "never wears shirts" and hasn't thought to apply logic to that. But I was thinking MinMax reaches for the sword, finds it already materializing halfway through PukeMax, and just waves it from side to side. Then CrapMax's disembodied head splishks him and puts its body back together, so that can't be all. There has to be something coming at us like a runaway asteroid right now that is going to hit PMax, and we are probably all going to say "Should have seen that coming."
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:02 am

You gotta wonder what the backstory is on PsiMax. Was he a standard bloodthirsty yet childish MinMax who Got Handed The Package of psi powers? "Here, it's a potion of psionic power. Drink it." 'Hmmm. Now that I am a psion, who needs you? (splishk)' If you canceled his powers, would he fall to the ground moaning "what have I done?"

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:09 am

EatsAPeach wrote:He's a working man, he speeds his plow, he earns his bread by the sweat of his BROWWWW!
Is this an attempt at quoting Rush?
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:13 am

willpell wrote:
EatsAPeach wrote:He's a working man, he speeds his plow, he earns his bread by the sweat of his BROWWWW!
Is this an attempt at quoting Rush?
Not sure where that came from. I was thinking "Robert Burns" but Google didn't turn it up. "Earn your bread by the sweat of your brow" is Biblical. My head is full of half-attributed quotes like that.

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:30 pm

langerhans wrote:
RedwoodElf wrote:

Minmax: Giving me a free shot? You BLEW it! (armor turns blue)
The general consensus seems to be that this next colour change is going to be some kind of pun, i motion that all further plot details are resolved by method of wordplay
MM: "You! I hate you! You blew up Kin!"
PM: Tenses eagerly.
MM: "Uh..I just read something weird in your body language."
PM: Grimaces.
MM: "Hah. Not only do you want me to draw Oblivious, you expect it to happen when my armor is blue."
PM: Tenses again.
MM: "Double hah, you yellow-bellied whitebread greenhorn blackguard. Orange you getting tired of waiting for me to say b -- that color again?"
PM: (rage building) "Just draw the damn sword!"
A group of alts muster and charge PM from behind, since he's clearly the biggest threat in the room. Taken by surprise, he barely turns in time to splishk them, but can only do two or three at a time.
While he's fully focused, MM takes a 5-foot step. "You just blew it, pukeface." He draws and decapitates in one smooth motion.
No? But it would be funny.

Linkcharge
Whispers Softly

Post by Linkcharge » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:13 pm

Liesmith wrote:Because nothing other than Minmax can act upon Oblivious, it only moves through time because Minmax drags it along with him while he holds it. As soon as he let's go, it stays at that point in time until he next draws it.
Well, I interpreted the sword as simply ceasing to exist, i.e. entering oblivion, when MinMax lets go of it. If it does as you say, continues to exist, frozen in time, obviously that's a different matter.

Catmandont
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: Ajrimmerstu

Post by Catmandont » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Jochi wrote:
langerhans wrote:
RedwoodElf wrote:

Minmax: Giving me a free shot? You BLEW it! (armor turns blue)
The general consensus seems to be that this next colour change is going to be some kind of pun, i motion that all further plot details are resolved by method of wordplay
MM: "You! I hate you! You blew up Kin!"
PM: Tenses eagerly.
MM: "Uh..I just read something weird in your body language."
PM: Grimaces.
MM: "Hah. Not only do you want me to draw Oblivious, you expect it to happen when my armor is blue."
PM: Tenses again.
MM: "Double hah, you yellow-bellied whitebread greenhorn blackguard. Orange you getting tired of waiting for me to say b -- that color again?"
PM: (rage building) "Just draw the damn sword!"
A group of alts muster and charge PM from behind, since he's clearly the biggest threat in the room. Taken by surprise, he barely turns in time to splishk them, but can only do two or three at a time.
While he's fully focused, MM takes a 5-foot step. "You just blew it, pukeface." He draws and decapitates in one smooth motion.
No? But it would be funny.
I wouldn't mind watching this scene unfold, though I doubt MM has the intelligence to interpret PM's 'body language', and therefore, intent.
Last edited by Catmandont on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." The Tick

Hey! Why are you reading this? It's bad for your eyes, and there's nothing to see here; no words of wit or sage like advice.... Nope, none of that crap... Still here? Well, I guess you can stay for a little while, but no touching. Ok, MAYBE a little bit of touching, but don't expect a kiss... Oh, and don't expect me to cuddle afterwards, either. This is purely physical in nature, and you can't REALLY want something serious after everything we've been through? Fine... 20 seconds of heavy petting, and that's IT! Annnnnnnd done...

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:10 pm

Linkcharge wrote:
Liesmith wrote:Because nothing other than Minmax can act upon Oblivious, it only moves through time because Minmax drags it along with him while he holds it. As soon as he let's go, it stays at that point in time until he next draws it.
Well, I interpreted the sword as simply ceasing to exist, i.e. entering oblivion, when MinMax lets go of it. If it does as you say, continues to exist, frozen in time, obviously that's a different matter.
Thunt wrote a post explaining how it works, but I don't remember if it was on this forum or the old one.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

ardenwolf
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by ardenwolf » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Why do some people want Min Max to lose his weapon and/or armor? Yeah it's powerful but eventually they catch up to the power level. I personally like the weapon. Objects can have a sort of character all their own. The weapon is interesting. I for one would be about as sad to see Oblivious go as I was Klik. I actually in many ways find the sword more interesting than Klik was.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:29 am

I don't want to see Oblivious disappear either. I enjoy it when magical/powerful (or otherwise 'treasure' items) help the player tell their character's story in a deeper or more interesting way. If it was a +3 long sword, it would be just random loot and wouldn't add much to the character's ongoing story other than being a weapon 'level-up'.

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:36 am

I think Oblivious is Kore-kryptonite and will last until MinMax vs Kore, but heck, anything can happen. This is a world of wonders, marvels, miracles, and horrors, woven with elements of humor, dismay, delight, and despite; just ask the Talking Wall if you have a few minutes to spare.

Ghormagon
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Ghormagon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:01 am

Just because PsiMax told him to do it, I can totally see MinMax not doing it, just to be difficult and prove how awesome he is by beating him up with a repeat performance of Dellyn Goblinslayer received. :) :lol:

Elvors
Mutters to Themself

Post by Elvors » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:46 am

Just my expectation.
Psimax is good at intelligence, but wisdom seems to have been a dump stat. Telling Minmax to do something is going to make him do the opposite - not because he's smelling something but because he can.
Most likely, Psimax will then try to torture Psimax into drawing the sword. Which is going to show Kin that the "seeing" goes both ways.
Not sure what the other Kins will make of that, but they will use the link and the knowledge that Psimax is occupied to their fullest advantage.

... dammit, and now my Crystal Ball of Prediction is going all hazy. It must be damaged.

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Post by bcas77 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:09 am

Why does everyone think that the winners can only take one piece of loot? I was looking through the archives and found this:

http://www.goblinscomic.org/02112011-4/

6th panel, Kin says that the winners will receive all the treasure including the Jade Teapot, and the ability to return back to their reality.

Gurkenglas
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Gurkenglas » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:06 am

Maybe Minmax will conclude that Psimax cannot splishk Minmaxes and try to rally them against him.

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:26 am

Elvors wrote: ... dammit, and now my Crystal Ball of Prediction is going all hazy. It must be damaged.
Does it say "Outlook Not So Good?" I used to think they didn't work, and then Microsoft Outlook came along and was not so good. Now I believe.

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:11 am

I'm still laughing at Browmax. What's the deal with that? In their reality, a browbeating must really hurt. Also, that is a very concise language they use, since "Brow" seems to replace all nouns, verbs, and adjectives. School must be really short.

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:50 am

Elvors wrote: Not sure what the other Kins will make of that, but they will use the link and the knowledge that Psimax is occupied to their fullest advantage.
Looks like you called it correctly there. The comic is up!