Maze of Many Alts a.k.a. FMK Realities List

Discuss the comic here!
SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Maze of Many Alts a.k.a. FMK Realities List

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:37 pm

Yesterday Thunt added a link to my FMK list to the menu of the Goblins website, so, i humbly decided to start my own thread on the forum instead of hijacking the FMK mix-n-match thread.

So... The List is here: http://duke.a-comics.ru/fmk/

I've updated the layout of the top part of the page and added a small FAQ so that the page would make sense to many more people that see it.

Some minor how to use tips:
  • The table with a lot of numbers has links to realities with known numbers. Those links look like http://duke.a-comics.ru/fmk/#fmk160 and you can actually copy and post them and they would work.
  • Above the table are Sorting and Filtering tools.
  • Sorting changes the order in which the entries are displayed: default one; the sorting by reality numbers (unnumbered in the end); the first appearance, but the ones without any info are pushed back (so, giant list from the "first look" doesn't occupy all the beginning).
  • Filtering changes what entries are displayed at all. Each filter works independently and has states ANY, ON, OFF - clicking on it cycles through. ANY means the filter is not actually doing anything; ON means only entries, that qualify it remain; OFF means only entries that don't qualify it remain. So, for example, you can filter entries with numbers, but without images.
  • "Current number of entries" row above the table shows the current amount of entries (i.e. the filtered count).
  • Links in the table actually change from bold to normal if the reality entry is hidden by filters.
As always, i would appreciate help in maintaining the list, such as:
* pointing out that some entries need to be united into a single (i.e. i filed as a new one alts that were already on the list)
* pointing out missed info (though, give me few days to add new alts when pages appear)
* sharing write ups of what Tarol said about some realities while streaming (those happen at weird times for me and i usually miss them)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: Maze of Many Alts a.k.a. FMK Realities List

Post by Krulle » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:40 pm

I'll hijack this thread to say thanks to you for all your incredible efforts in maintaining this list!
THANK YOU!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:10 pm

What Krulle said. Seriously, your hard work is appreciated. I'm going to sticky this thread so it doesn't get lost.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:07 pm

There are no words to express how cool you are, so I'll just use every smiley on the site that seems appropriate.
► Show Spoiler
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:47 am

Thanks, everyone!
I totally love you all :bigears:

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:41 am

We love you too.
► Show Spoiler

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:00 am

Krulle wrote:We love you too.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Well, Thunt tweeted about it, so I tested if the image already has its final name.... :shrug:
And if not you, who else could use it?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:41 am

I want Thunt to confirm whether or not we've seen the Hammer of Jale. If it's not shown on the list between Golden Forgath and pink-pigtails Kin, it might be between the zombie group and the tribal group.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:49 am

Yeah, that's a good question. The twitter text said "Minmax wields", maybe there was some confusion.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:18 am

There was a MinMax in the 11 Minor Variables wielding a Hammer and had vaguely Axe-like armor. That might have been him- however, PsiMax splishked the hammer. I'm not sure if he could do that to an artifact, and if so, what happened to the prisoner within?

http://www.goblinscomic.org/06252013/

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:15 pm

SpeaksWithMistakes wrote:Yeah, that's a good question. The twitter text said "Minmax wields", maybe there was some confusion.
Well doodle my fruitloops, I missed that part. Fallow my directions and you'll notice I thought Forgath had it.

knightwalkr
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Willie Pierce

Post by knightwalkr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:40 am

weakest weapon ever...

Axe of Prissan in the reality where everyone is a dual classed paladin.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:24 pm

That one probably has a variant of the Hammer of Jale instead.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:27 pm

It's not that everyone in that reality HAS paladin levels, just that they CAN without penalty. Single-class wizards and such would still not want to give up their caster levels, plus of course some people will want to be Evil or at least Chaotic. If the Axe exists there, it won't be completely useless, though reputation of its use would tend to drive people into Paladin and gradually obsolete it. All that said, an above-average paladin populace in that world likely would make it easier to defeat the demon in the first place, so it might not need to be sealed in an axe.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

The Wyrm Ouroboros
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by The Wyrm Ouroboros » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:17 pm

I'd just like to point out for the page (though it probably has been so) that the Maze of Many had ... well, a lot more than 218 different alternate universes feeding into it. At the time of the story of 'our' KMF's victory, however, there were 218 different ones - 'currently 218'. A minor note, but ...

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:46 pm

The Wyrm Ouroboros wrote:I'd just like to point out for the page (though it probably has been so) that the Maze of Many had ... well, a lot more than 218 different alternate universes feeding into it. At the time of the story of 'our' KMF's victory, however, there were 218 different ones - 'currently 218'. A minor note, but ...
Well there are an infinity of alternate universes, but only 218 can be in there at any one time. As each run is completed, one group moves out, and one group replaces it. The rest are essentially waiting in line to get in in an effective time-stop. It would be very ironic if FMK were in the very first batch on this particular cycle. Remember that while FMK were doing their runs, nearly 2 MILLION alternate realities won and left the maze.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:55 am

What I want to know is, why 218? My theory is that the number was originally either larger or smaller, since this number just seems weird and random...I feel like there was probably some "fine-tuning" equation when the Maze was first created, where it would either have replaced one party with two or not replaced a party at all, until the balance seemed right according to whatever criteria.
My long-neglected blog.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:42 pm

willpell wrote:What I want to know is, why 218? My theory is that the number was originally either larger or smaller, since this number just seems weird and random...I feel like there was probably some "fine-tuning" equation when the Maze was first created, where it would either have replaced one party with two or not replaced a party at all, until the balance seemed right according to whatever criteria.
Psimax may have manipulated the number cycling through the maze to help his math work. 218 isn't evenly divisible by any conveniently usable number to make the circular entry area we saw at the starting area have the same number of rooms per "Stack" (minimum of 6 levels, at least 20 or so rooms per circle) so either there ARE empty rooms in some of the stacks, or the number of rooms per stack varies a bit.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

The Wyrm Ouroboros
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by The Wyrm Ouroboros » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:43 am

RedwoodElf wrote:
The Wyrm Ouroboros wrote:I'd just like to point out for the page (though it probably has been so) that the Maze of Many had ... well, a lot more than 218 different alternate universes feeding into it. At the time of the story of 'our' KMF's victory, however, there were 218 different ones - 'currently 218'. A minor note, but ...
Well there are an infinity of alternate universes, but only 218 can be in there at any one time. As each run is completed, one group moves out, and one group replaces it. The rest are essentially waiting in line to get in in an effective time-stop. It would be very ironic if FMK were in the very first batch on this particular cycle. Remember that while FMK were doing their runs, nearly 2 MILLION alternate realities won and left the maze.
... I don't recall this restriction. Where is this revealed?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:35 pm

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:36 am

RedwoodElf wrote:
willpell wrote:What I want to know is, why 218? My theory is that the number was originally either larger or smaller, since this number just seems weird and random...I feel like there was probably some "fine-tuning" equation when the Maze was first created, where it would either have replaced one party with two or not replaced a party at all, until the balance seemed right according to whatever criteria.
Psimax may have manipulated the number cycling through the maze to help his math work. 218 isn't evenly divisible by any conveniently usable number to make the circular entry area we saw at the starting area have the same number of rooms per "Stack" (minimum of 6 levels, at least 20 or so rooms per circle) so either there ARE empty rooms in some of the stacks, or the number of rooms per stack varies a bit.
Possibly, there are just 218 parties within the FMK specification that haven't won the maze yet - ours did lose a lot, after all.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:24 pm

Glemp wrote:
RedwoodElf wrote:Possibly, there are just 218 parties within the FMK specification that haven't won the maze yet - ours did lose a lot, after all.
It is mathematically impossible to subtract any number from infinity and be left with less than "still infinity". That's kind of the whole point of infinity. If there are literally infinite realities in the Maze at any moment, then no amount of mere attrition can ever change that fact. So whether or not the limit of 218 originally existed, it must have been imposed at some point.
My long-neglected blog.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:11 pm

willpell wrote:
Glemp wrote:Possibly, there are just 218 parties within the FMK specification that haven't won the maze yet - ours did lose a lot, after all.
It is mathematically impossible to subtract any number from infinity and be left with less than "still infinity". That's kind of the whole point of infinity. If there are literally infinite realities in the Maze at any moment, then no amount of mere attrition can ever change that fact. So whether or not the limit of 218 originally existed, it must have been imposed at some point.
(Fixed your quotes)

Isn't it possible that while the total no. of realities is infinite, the number that meet the requirements to compete with FMK is very large, but finite?

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:16 pm

Glemp wrote:
willpell wrote:
Glemp wrote:Possibly, there are just 218 parties within the FMK specification that haven't won the maze yet - ours did lose a lot, after all.
(Fixed your quotes)

Isn't it possible that while the total no. of realities is infinite, the number that meet the requirements to compete with FMK is very large, but finite?
We could ask an infinite number of monkeys, once they finish their script for Hamlet...