Order of the Stick

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Order of the Stick

Post by SccrD25 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Holy crap did yall read the latest Order of the Stick?! It was no Goblins death but I pulled an inner Vader noooooooooooooooooooooo.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0877.html
At some point I should really come up with a clever signature

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Re: Other Webcomics & the Webcomicverse

Post by TinSoldier » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:24 pm

SccrD25 wrote:Holy crap did yall read the latest Order of the Stick?! It was no Goblins death but I pulled an inner Vader noooooooooooooooooooooo.

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Yeah, that hit me hard. I didn't like it. I think it's in my top three deaths, right after Chief and Klik.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:21 pm

SccrD25 wrote:Holy crap did yall read the latest Order of the Stick?! It was no Goblins death but I pulled an inner Vader noooooooooooooooooooooo.

Yeah, I'm still really upset about this turn of events. I don't have the attachments to Rich's characters that I do to the Goblinverse folks, but I think he was my favorite character over there. At least right now I sure think that. And dear 12 gods, did you read the next page?? :shock: :'( And the one after that, for that matter? :(

I need to request a screaming in horror emoticon in that other thread.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:32 pm

OOTS:
► Show Spoiler
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:17 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:OOTS:
► Show Spoiler
Heh -- the nickname almost makes it better. :shock: I don't know about the theory itself though.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:04 pm

I really hope
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:07 pm

► Show Spoiler

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:44 pm

► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:57 pm

That explains it.
► Show Spoiler

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:08 pm

Continued OOTS:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Order of the Stick

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:39 pm

Yeah.

You know, I think this OotS discussion deserves its own thread, so I'm going to split these off.

edit: OK, let me know if I missed any posts that should have been moved.

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Re: Order of the Stick

Post by TinSoldier » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:49 pm

How much should we worry about enclosing stuff in spoiler tags? Or maybe just add a "Warning: Spoilers" in the topic title?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:59 pm

I figure general stuff is ok, but big spoilers on the new comics should go in spoiler tags. We don't want to ruin the new page for somebody more active here, and on giantitp. That's just my opinion though, feel free to ignore.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Over at giantitp, they put the new strip in it's own numbered thread and don't spoil anything. They expect you to read the comic first before the thread. As long as we say something like, new strip, I don't think we have to be too careful here. Although I've also seen people put some of the book only (origin of PCs, start of darkness) stuff in spoilers, in case somone buys that later.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:13 pm

For now, probably just hide major spoilers from recent strips, and from the prequel books. Does anybody have any other concerns about the online strip being spoiled?

Prometheus
Mutters to Themself

Post by Prometheus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:33 pm

This is another amazing comic, of which i am very much a fan. It has character development and a great story, even if it's epic moments are fewer and farther between than in Goblins. That being said, the most recent death ranks up there.

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Seeing how this has its own thread I'll post this. With the recent death in mind I was reminded of my favorite page of OOtS.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0445.html

I read that over and over for weeks. Choked me up pretty good the first time. Hope we get another one for the new deadite.
At some point I should really come up with a clever signature

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:08 pm

Buddy Roy! :'(

Roy's afterlife had some moments that choked me up, too. His little brother... :'( :'(

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:58 pm

What is it with comic writers and killing all of my favorite characters? Both Thunt and Rich keep doing it.

Although while on the subject of OOTS, I find it much funnier than Goblins at some points. One of these points being Thogs "confession" on http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0367.html reading that scene always makes me start laughing like an insane person . :rofl:
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:34 pm

RocketScientist wrote:For now, probably just hide major spoilers from recent strips, and from the prequel books. Does anybody have any other concerns about the online strip being spoiled?
The way we do it on the Oots Forum when discussing Goblins is say New update: and then we spoiler the next 6-8 posts, however long it takes for unspoilered posts to not appear from the point where New Update is visible.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 pm

That seems reasonable.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:22 am

Amazing update. Though Haley's last comment still leaves me a little confused; I wish it had been clearer what she was referring to.

The nine Durkon vs. Malack strips in a row was a tough act to follow, but this strip nailed it.

EDIT - Rereading strip 874, one thing puzzles me. Wanting to keep the "weak-willed" away from Malack, Durkon wishes he could send Mr. Scruffy to fetch "just Roy". Why? Roy is a single-class Fighter, so he has bad Will saves. While he does seem the type to have high WIS, he also shows high INT, and must have high STR and CON to be an effective cleric, and not-awful CHA to be a good leader (and ladies' man). So it's unlikely his WIS is 18, and even if it was, that plus Iron Will plus a 15th-level character's bad save is still only +11, which an 18-WIS cleric hits at level 10 without spending a feat. Meanwhile, Elan is a bard, so he has good Will saves; he's unlikely to have more than +1 WIS at the absolute most (he doesn't seem likely to have a penalty as Belkar does, but certainly +0 seems likelier than +1 to me given his behavior), and there's no way in heck he has Iron Will, but assuming level 14 or 15 like the rest of the Order, his Will save is at least +9, about the same as where Roy would be if we don't assume he has 18 WIS. So why not wish to fetch just Elan? He might be useless in a fight, but he could at least offer flanking bonuses or a bard song or something, while Roy seems too dangerous to risk any significant chance of him failing a Will save against domination.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:41 am

willpell wrote:Amazing update. Though Haley's last comment still leaves me a little confused; I wish it had been clearer what she was referring to.

The nine Durkon vs. Malack strips in a row was a tough act to follow, but this strip nailed it.

EDIT - Rereading strip 874, one thing puzzles me. Wanting to keep the "weak-willed" away from Malack, Durkon wishes he could send Mr. Scruffy to fetch "just Roy". Why? Roy is a single-class Fighter, so he has bad Will saves. While he does seem the type to have high WIS, he also shows high INT, and must have high STR and CON to be an effective cleric, and not-awful CHA to be a good leader (and ladies' man). So it's unlikely his WIS is 18, and even if it was, that plus Iron Will plus a 15th-level character's bad save is still only +11, which an 18-WIS cleric hits at level 10 without spending a feat. Meanwhile, Elan is a bard, so he has good Will saves; he's unlikely to have more than +1 WIS at the absolute most (he doesn't seem likely to have a penalty as Belkar does, but certainly +0 seems likelier than +1 to me given his behavior), and there's no way in heck he has Iron Will, but assuming level 14 or 15 like the rest of the Order, his Will save is at least +9, about the same as where Roy would be if we don't assume he has 18 WIS. So why not wish to fetch just Elan? He might be useless in a fight, but he could at least offer flanking bonuses or a bard song or something, while Roy seems too dangerous to risk any significant chance of him failing a Will save against domination.
You're kidding right? Elan must have at least a -2 penalty to his wisdom, have you ever seen how he acts? :rofl:

Haley is likely not much better, if any. She likely only has a +4 to a +6, assuming a +0 or +1 wisdom mod and 14-15th level. Given her magpie like behavior I'd have to say probably +0 or -1 myself. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Roy was the only other member of the party besides Durkon that has a double digit wisdom score at all.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:47 am

Marnath wrote:You're kidding right? Elan must have at least a -2 penalty to his wisdom, have you ever seen how he acts? :rofl:
Wisdom governs one's awareness of the world and one's place within it; it doesn't necessarily corellate to sensibility of behavior, or there wouldn't be Chaotic Evil clerics of destruction and havoc. (Granted we haven't seen many of those in OOTS - both our Evil clerics to date appear to be Lawful - but it can be more or less safely presumed that they exist.) I think Elan chooses to act in the way he does, rather than not knowing any better; his Intelligence is low but his Wisdom might be average, and anyway Bards have good Will saves, and the base save impacts the total far more than the Attribute does at high levels.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.