Civ V OOC: And the Rest is History.....

For all games that are now over.
Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Re: Civ V OOC: The desolation of Black Dragons

Post by Davecom3 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:40 pm

We've seen she's upset her mate failed to enslave these humans, we've seen proof she's doing some plotting against us, our pseudodragon is getting the distinct feel that we've either got to flee or strike first(He's a dragon recognizing another dragon. Even though he got hit with her aura, he probably knows what he's talking about.)... I believe there's a good chance she's on the evil side of the alignment tree. And the fact that the only thing she's said to us has been threatening doesn't help our belief she's good.

Aegis has also confirmed that Maraxia is the dragon mentioned in the letter who with a dominatrix's tone threatened the other dragon with s definite sign of danger if her orders were not followed. Good dragons are less likely to threaten such things simply because a cape is not made on time.

"Opening the sealed letter reveals that it appears to be from the dragon's mate, and how the dragon's mate is coming over "for a little visit" (said in the tone of a dominatrix to her submissive) and how the cloaks are supposed to be woven into a proper cape "for a dragon". The letter threatens a visit from "you know who" with the glyph of two red eyes depicting danger if the orders in the letter are not followed. Naturally, dragons have a different sense of time than humans do. The letter was written 160 years ago, in 540.07 --- the time of the mate's arrival? 603.11. "

"She reveals she is a Black Dragon (though the Duke and his humans do not know this), and she was going to give a serious spanking to her mate for not taking over these humans when she told him to (that was where the squirrel figurine came in; it's a Figurine of Wonderous Power she enchanted herself; her mate was -terrified- of squirrels). She does not care that you and the humans looted her mate's hoard; hers is more impressive and "he got the cast offs, since he was a cast-off himself." With another warning that "I will be watching, little frogs." and to consider your alliances carefully, she returns to the castle. those of you who read Freefall, she smiles like Florence baring her teeth...

Kethrendi's expert advice? Run and find a new place to build a new home before she eats you and everyone else in the area. Merix's telepathic senses cannot overcome her draconic mental defenses, but he can detect that Maraxia is surely weighing her options; she senses your treasure hoard even if she hasn't seen it... and might want some for herself. She is impressed with the grippli, which is likely why she hasn't wiped them flat out (that and she has other things on her mind, like castle politics)."
Last edited by Davecom3 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:10 pm

Davecom3 wrote:We've seen she's upset her mate failed to enslave these humans, we've seen proof she's doing some plotting against us, our pseudodragon is getting the distinct feel that we've either got to flee or strike first... I believe there's a good chance she's on the evil side of the alignment tree. And the fact that the only thing she's said to us has been threatening doesn't help our belief she's good.
Maybe I missed it. I thought I read it all. I don't recall enslavement on the agenda. The plotting could easily be defensive divinations, similar to our own spying. Gee, we have a pseudodragon... wow I must really be out of it. And the threatening talk seemed to be more geared toward letting us know she was a power player in the area and to be careful of our aliances, which I took to mean not to get involved with who she was going to take down. We'ed say similar things. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Even if I'm wrong, in a game, I think we could avoid a premptive strike based on such flimsy evidence. I also think we could beat her if she did strike us. OR, we could watch the situation for a bit more evidence for a bit longer. I'm not too keen on going down a M.A.D. route provoked by misinterpretations of motives (sparked by our escalating talk of murder).

Edit: Eh, I've seen Florence smile, and I attribute a slight difference to that than you seem to. Looking at your edit, adding it the quotes you are basing your argument on, I STILL come to a different conclusion. I still don't see all that as bad as you are making out. Maybe the humans were bad, and needed a firm hand. ;) Maybe the whole coat thing is a domestic, though strange, thing. She did after all respect US frogs, and after all dragons move in the scale of centuries not months.
Last edited by ThroughTheWell on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Editted with quotes from Aegis. Burns is playing Kethrendi, the pseudodragon that I was referring to. Aegis did confirm the dominant dragon in letter and Maraxia were the same.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:28 pm

And my edit above.

Look, the GM is saying that Burns, as a tiny dragon, is terrified. I see that as roleplay, not special dragon divination.

I'm looking for harder more concrete evidence. 20 questions with a god, if this were d&d, would sort this out. (Assuming you asked enough of the right questions.)

She's a dragon, so all she has to do is fly over and attack. It is not like she has to write in her diary "Killing frogs tommorow" or assemble several units of knights before she can attack. I get that. But I still think premptive murder is likely to cause that which you fear, when we could have lived in respect going forward. Be strong, and the big bad won't hurt you, or hurt you much.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:40 pm

There's also this word of Aegis to consider:

"You're right, you -did- score two critical successes, Kelten. I really should do something about that. We've got a bit much on the plate as is though, so until some things finish up (especially the sunken temple and the black dragon; if she thinks you're getting reinforcements she won't hesitate to make her move now) then I'm going to keep them in the back."

Seems to me that this implies that she is planning to strike before we grow more powerful. And the talk of a preemptive strike didn't start before this statement, so it bears some of the burden for this talk. We needed a population boost after how low our population had gotten.

And if she isn't evil, why is she threatening us rather than trying to explain why we shouldn't ally with these humans?
Last edited by Davecom3 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Meh, you may have a point. Of course, that would be subject to the question of how much reinforcements cause the tip? Without some action to double the population, "I" don't see us as a threat to a dragon unless we are actively threatening her. So why would she feel threatened? I'm emoting calm peacefull thoughts... why make me kick your ahas when you come suprise me? I guess it comes down to what kind of people you want to 'play'. I'm more of a Big Ears / Ender Wiggan, kind of guy. o:)

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:19 pm

We are a potential threat since, for one thing, she knows my Dominate Monster effect is unresistable, even if she never would do what I commanded of her free will, for one thing. For another, given she knows Kermit is favored by a god (but not which one), for all she knows the god isn't exhausted, and god vs. dragon is a nervous battle. There are reasons she'd feel potentially cornered, given she's not sure which side we'll support. And given what she knows of us, she's threatening us and protecting herself against us rather than asking for our assistance?

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:27 pm

Just throwing this out here but in D&D rules black dragons are in fact always chaotic evil.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/drag ... lackDragon

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:31 am

And it is true that the others are labeled as usually, not always.

SaruSama
Likes to Contribute

Post by SaruSama » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:06 am

Just an idea. We dont really care about most of our treasure right? Couldnt we just give Maraxia a large portion of it to leave us alone?

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:14 am

I doubt she'll leave us alone even with a bribe - she's worried about our potential just as much as she is jealous of our gems. It'd be a temporary fix at best.

SaruSama
Likes to Contribute

Post by SaruSama » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:23 am

Well if we do end up needing to fight her make sure im around my sai was basically designed to fight big bad evils :P.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:55 am

Yea.. I'd not like to giver her anything... I'd rather like to build up some "Dragon go boom" or use the dominate monster on her... really, I don't like the idea of a black dragon unless it was redeemed, but redeemed creatures do not walk around sneaking like that (no really, its a rules thing) Black dragons spells evil and chaotic, wyrm/ancient even more so..
sitting with the Draconomicon (3.5e) "Black dragons are among the most evil-tempered true dragons"
ancient are cr 19.
wyrm 20
and great wyrm 22

I'd not like that to walk around...

Oh... Dave, what did you decide with the regen?
-Best regards LAYF

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:42 am

Hadn't really yet, though it seems those who have put in their opinions want something like the Oasis briars by giving it to Merix. If I do that, I'm not likely to want to do anything with it until the druids are handled, preferably on good terms, as if they disapprove we're likely to be on even worse terms than with us luring animals towards Merix. And it's sort of my least favored option, though I may be swayed, because it basically copies the previous game.

I'm not even sure if people's idea of giving it to Merix would have the Wild Growth effect, and I rather doubt it would allow the fruit to give regenerative properties.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:20 am

I didn't think giving it to Merix would make a proper Wild Growth effect - I figured since he's a living being, it would just allow him to regenerate better, and he's a useful and valuable part of our village. If he does end up producing fruits, that's a bonus.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:19 am

Okay folks, handling the black dragon is the top most problem to deal with, anyone have any ideas on how about we should take care of this.

Does anyone have anything left from when they drew from the deck of many things?

Specifically a publican card

Edit: I went ahead and drew. The Peacock, The Tyrant, The Publican (since you have no major enemies known at this point, it will affect the next one to come), The Brass Dwarf, The Snakebite, and The Crows

Did this happen already or do we have one left?

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:54 am

Sorry, but I pointed out my Publican card could refer to that Ifrit. And that's Aegis's comment to me. But refer back to one of the other cards in that group, The Tyrant, and you will find why Maraxia's worried about Narasimha. And I was the only one who drew the Publican.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:16 am

And how does one go about using the Tyrant?

The character gains the one-time ability to issue a single command to any creature in the multiverse and have the order obeyed. The target is affected as if by the spell dominate monster, and even orders for the target to kill itself are followed. Any creature targeted by this effect knows that it is acting against its will, and knows the identity and location of the character. Immortal creatures cannot effectively kill themselves, and the act only causes them considerable but fleeting pain. Additionally, creatures with the ability to grant such boons typically also possess the power to revoke them, and do so as soon as the command releases them. The GM ultimately decides what this command can accomplish. The character may use this card's effect whenever he wishes, but may only use it once.

Well by golly... what exactly are we waiting for?

If nolandking wants to, he could command the black dragon to sacrifice its life by killing itself in order to bring Ehlonna back to power.

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:29 am

I dont have the tyrant card.

Next, we go to Ilphnilee who, seeing the rest of the more famous people draw cards and come away with what appear to be multiple rewards, draws seven cards. They turn up, in order, The Marriage (A rather attractive Efreeti appears...), The Peacock (+2 AC, -2 Dex, which I have to edit the -2 dex to Alkadeis, since he drew the same card), The Teamster (Quest incoming), the Twin (genderbending Ilphnilee to Male), The Carnival, The Peacock (a second time), and the Mountain Man (becoming a very, very tall Drow). Of the multiple cards summoned by the Carnival, the Trumpet was the one that came up, allowing him to summon an outsider.
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:10 am

oh..who had the tyrant card then?

D34dlock
Is Heard Often

Post by D34dlock » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:32 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:oh..who had the tyrant card then?
Davecom3: Narasimha Thunderstrider (Wemic)
Can Dominate Monster completely, once
I'm still reading shifters.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:14 pm

If we 'fight' the black dragon, I recommend we have some acid resistance and acid invulnerabilty on hand. Then, if we keep spying on her, find out what her major magic items are so we can plan for those. But if we can just dominate her, then no need. Unless she has spell resistance... in which case there is a chance your fancy dominate won't work, we'll have lost suprise, and we'll have most definately ticked her off into a war of extinction. Said war she could win simply by going away, prepping, and sending an army back at us.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:17 pm

what if we found a way to turn the castle against her?

Or commanding her to attack the castle until she dies.....somehow killing them both = now we have a castle...yayz

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:34 pm

The Dominate Monster cannot be resisted unless perhaps completely annulled, but it also can only be used for simple commands. I want proof of treachery before we attack her so that the humans don't think we attacked their diplomat without cause. In other words, until we obtain her plans, I'd rather not give her the order to kill herself or any other command,

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:37 pm

but how would the castle know it is us that did it...

as for making the castle not hate us, merely command her to "turn into a dragon and kill yourself"

again, the castle has no clue that she is a dragon....problem solved.