Requests for Forums/Features?

For creating groups, suggesting features, reporting problems and the like.
RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: Requests for Forums/Features?

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Is it really such a hardship to have to click out of the games forum? If it is, that kind of proves Moose's point about it being too insular.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:42 pm

RocketScientist wrote:Is it really such a hardship to have to click out of the games forum? If it is, that kind of proves Moose's point about it being too insular.
I am honestly unsure whom that's directed at? :shrug:

I'm specifically asking for an OOC game area outside of the IC game area...

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Some threads turn into OOC threads once recruiting is done. But most in fact don't- Only games that are heavily dependent on storytelling require an OOC thread, and there is actually a minority for those games. I'm honestly of the opinion that OOC threads should not be seperated into an additional subforum. All those things take up space at the top of the page, so I believe it should have an decent offset to warrant placing an additional subforum.

That being said, I do like the idea of having a subforum where games looking to have people signup could start in, which would be then be moved to the main thread upon request. It should make clear to everyone wishing to join a game what games are actively trying to recruit. By use of a sticky in there, it would also be possible to see what games are always open for everyone, or games wishing to look for a replacement.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:04 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:
askstoomuch wrote:come on this is just getting crazy, what are we gonna do next, sort all the games I separate sub forums all in alphabetic order...
there is a thing as to much structure
All I'm asking for is a way for someone who is not in a game, or looking to start a game, or looking to join another game, to easily find if anyone is recruiting (or to have a place to post where possible players can look).

Since recruitment threads turn into the OOC thread, I figure it makes sense just to leave them in the same spot. If it said "Recruit" or "OOC" in the thread title, you know which it is.

The current "grab bag" where a dozen or so active games can easily toss a new recruiting thread down to the bottom and out of sight, is the main reason I'm not offering to run anything. :shrug:
While I personally agree with you re adding an recruitment area I don't agree that you'll lose a new game thread in the forum as it stands because of the forum structure. The demand in that section from players is mega high so if you offer something new you'll definitely get interest (especially if its got pictures and involves adventuring it seems).

Also, regarding the god school, it's going to take me a few weeks to get that running but I was planning on running the 'game' part and the recruitment in the game thread and the lessons in the resources section.

Finally, I actually like having the hidden section more public. It's nice to have a mix of people in there who aren't just the gamers :-)

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:08 pm

askstoomuch wrote:come on this is just getting crazy, what are we gonna do next, sort all the games I separate sub forums all in alphabetic order...
Funny thing, separate subforums is actually sensible thing to do. There GMs can create separate threads for recrutment, OOC, rules, character sheets, world info, actual game and so on.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:23 pm

gamecreator wrote:
Funny thing, separate subforums is actually sensible thing to do. There GMs can create separate threads for recrutment, OOC, rules, character sheets, world info, actual game and so on.
True. Thing is- If you'd have subforums for all those categories, that would be at the very least 4 subforums you'd have to scroll past each time the main topic loads. Basically you'd have to scroll down to even see the first topic after the page loaded, which I think is a tad too much.

Now, if we had a php magic thingie where you could click "expand all subforums" and THEN select the appropriate subforum I would find it far more acceptable. (NOT a subforum that would further branch into more subforums. That'd just mean the entire page would have to reload just to advance to where you want to be.)

That being said, I'm just generally not in favor of "organizing" the forum too much. I think having to go to a specific subforum each time you want to see the OOC is more of a hassle then a profit, not to mention the fact each time the OOC thread would light up you'd have to check it to make sure it couldn't be relevant to any games you play in.

I am in favor of the recruitement subforum though, since people would only need to visit it if they were actively looking to join a forum game, as well to mention the fact it would be clearly evident that game would be looking for players.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:30 pm

M0rtimer wrote:That being said, I'm just generally not in favor of "organizing" the forum too much. I think having to go to a specific subforum each time you want to see the OOC is more of a hassle then a profit, not to mention the fact each time the OOC thread would light up you'd have to check it to make sure it couldn't be relevant to any games you play in.

I am in favor of the recruitement subforum though, since people would only need to visit it if they were actively looking to join a forum game, as well to mention the fact it would be clearly evident that game would be looking for players.
I'm a bit confused with this, since your second suggestion seems to have the same issues as the first.

That I was thinking was to have something under "GAMES" not "Forum Games", if that helps clarify it.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:40 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:Is it really such a hardship to have to click out of the games forum? If it is, that kind of proves Moose's point about it being too insular.

Not you. Sorry I didn't specify. It was just a general question, but more toward Asks than anyone else specific. :)

But now that you mention it, pardon my ignorance, but what is OOC? Been wondering this. :oops:

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:43 pm

RocketScientist wrote:
CelineSSauve wrote:

Not you. Sorry I didn't specify. It was just a general question, but more toward Asks than anyone else specific. :)

But now that you mention it, pardon my ignorance, but what is OOC? Been wondering this. :oops:
Oops. Sorry. I always go "Goblins' very wide frame (at least for MinMax and Forgat) is and RPG, so everyone here are gamers!" :oops:

OOC = Out of Character (Also OOG for Out of Game)
IC = In Character (sometimes IG)

As someone mentioned above, rule discussions, character sheets or just plain "table chatter" generally go into that sort of thing. :)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:44 pm

The difference between an OOC subforum and a recruitement subforum would be, in my eyes at least, that an OOC thread would not serve much use besides the fact it would remove the relevant topics from the main page. It would be harder to see whether something of interest was posted due to the fact that if a new post is made in any of the topics in there, you'd have to actually click to see which one. If I had to look at the OOC thread to look up information, and the relevant topic would have been bumped down to second page, I'd rather look in second page because it would basically be the same as opening the subforum. (There's no real need to manually go through the list either- I just use Ctrl+f to find the topic I'm looking for quickly.)

For recruitement however, it would definitely make clear that the games would be looking to recruit, meaning that people that would like to play would not have to search through the list of other games to find games that are starting up, looking for replacements etc. As there can be a lot of games active at once, I can see how doing that would be a lot easier for people looking to join a game.

Rocketscientist: OOC stands for out of character. Some games have an additional thread just for it so they can discuss anything purely gamewise. :)

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:47 pm

RocketScientist wrote: more toward Asks than anyone else specific. :)
you looking for a fight here !! #rips of shirt and go in badass pose >:(
oh your not

well I just want to get the hidden back in games it worked great there, and well it not being there talks away a pretty big part of me enjoying being here. it is one of the reasons maiandea isn't coming back cause well it isn't what it used to be, it's to organized to structure
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:52 pm

I don't think we need more divisions between ooc & ic yet, but if we did have such a split in future I would probably suggest a split between 'forum adventures' (the rpgs) and 'forum games' (including serial killers, ctf, minesweepers etc).

Edit- asks I don't think the forum structure is what's keeping Maia away. I think she's just not that keen on the new forum (because of the crash, not the people I think.)

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Oh! I get it. Thanks everybody.

No, I haven't played D&D since it was 1st edition AD&D (I'm old), and I don't play online RPGs. I can't even drive the character around the screen without running into a wall. :oops: I have low game skill. Unless you want to play Q-bert or something 80s-ish. :lol:

Asks, I would miss you if they move the hidden thing away to the games, where I tend to not go. Image

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:02 pm

And that's why I like it where it is, cos I'd miss all you guys from the regular forum where I tend not to go. Keeping hidden where it is is a good thing I think

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:05 pm

M0rtimer wrote:It would be harder to see whether something of interest was posted
I get the feeling you don't subscribe to threads you're interested in?

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:06 pm

I like it where it is, although it's taken a bit of getting used to finding it. But it never really made sense to have Hidden in Games... because it was mostly NOT used for games, aside from the Guessing Game. It isn't a Games forum... it's just a personal forum.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:55 pm

I will be adding a recruitment subforum very soon. I want to shift moderation responsibilities a bit to allow for the increased workload that will be needed to move threads out of the subforum. I also need to add another moderator over in Controversy!
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:25 pm

I would apply but I am going to take it as a no. Something about power or something about being to chaotic and potentially destructive. I dunno. Much rather be in games anyways....less...emotions.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:09 pm

About that... :shifty:
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:16 pm

Shhh, they don't need to know....don't want to ...frighten them, do we?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:28 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:
M0rtimer wrote:It would be harder to see whether something of interest was posted
I get the feeling you don't subscribe to threads you're interested in?
Not on every thread, I'll admit. But the little icon on the thread would be of little help if you still had to visit the relevant page regardless. It's not my main reason for not wanting to see OOC separated, sorry.

Unless I'm missing something about thread subscription here, but if so I never saw it.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:07 am

What type of notification subscribing to a thread will produce?

Anyway, all your problems can be solved by "show unread posts" feature and only at cost of creating one problem (manually filtering what you do and don't want to read).

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:14 am

Subscribing to a thread will send an email to the one you used to sign up for this place, everytime a post is made to that thread.

Can I suggest we clean up the smilies a little bit? The ones we have are awesome, but some of them are repetitive. For instance, we have two sleep ones, :zzz: :sleep: and two bonk ones :whack: :bonk: It would help prevent making the smilie window that comes up annoying.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:01 am

It sends an email? Yeah, I'd consider that worse honestly.

Show unread posts is nifty, but I'd much prefer to just take a look in the forum games forum as that's where I spend most my time, just sweeping through the others now and then. Regardless, I don't really think that's a valid solution, since I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who checks thread as I do. And I don't believe OOC threads are that much of a problem they warrant their own subforum.

Anyways, I just stated my opinion and my reasons behind said opinion. If the majority is of opinion that OOC should be in a subforum I'll live with that, but I'd much rather not see it happen.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:22 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Shhh, they don't need to know....don't want to ...frighten them, do we?
Congratulations Burns :D