Sometimes I do things [Sorta art]

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Re: Sometimes I do things [Sorta art]

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Sun May 19, 2013 8:16 am

That dude looks awesome!
And, oh hell, animals are so hard for me for some reason :( unless we're talking fish, or...well that's about it >:P
I am high in fructose.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:06 am

Seem to have lost my art mojo. So much stress. I did manage to do this, last night.

Lately I feel like I've been chasing ghosts.
► Show Spoiler
...but they're so much faster than I am.

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:09 am

WILL 'O WISPS! D: Don't follow the lights!
Also I forgot to ask, (very late) isn't the uncanny valley where it looks kind of human but not quite and so it ends up looking creepy? I think that's what a friend said at least.
I am high in fructose.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:35 pm

It is. Basically, as simplification or stylization approaches realism, there is a chasm / gap / valley before realism is achieved; the stylization or simplification end, or the realism end are comfortable. The 'uncanny valley' is uncomfortable.
It's the sense of something being human but 'not quite right,' and it's actually a big part of what makes zombies (and humanoid robots) creepy to a lot of people.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:25 am

► Show Spoiler
Today I did some hand practice. Joined Wysp, and they've a lovely practice tool. My hands are unforgivably weak, I learned. I'll need to work a lot on fixing that...

T-Rex, your avatar suddenly animating SCARED ME YOU SCOUNDREL.

I'm hoping to do some Ryan sketches tonight, too. With luck I'll manage something decent.
No sketches sadly, but I do have a preview of the sim I'm working on for Ryan/Rían.
► Show Spoiler
He needs a new skin (that one unfortunately has painted on abs, something I didn't learn prior to making Ryan, and oh boy does it ever look terrible on heavier dudes like him,) and I'm not completely happy with his face yet. The facial weathering cc I made (assigned as blush) helped to contour his face a touch so he looks less baby faced now, but I think he still looks too young. Like a child with stubble. It's scary. I need to fix his eyes / brow region to age him a bit, but the biggest thing is I need to make (or find + DL ) a slider to shrink the forehead, because Sims gives everyone a monstrous hydrocephaly forehead.
I dunno. What do you guys think?

His traits are good, good sense of humor, heavy sleeper, brave, and natural cook. Lifetime wish is culinary librarian.

Finished the Ryan sim (for now.)
► Show Spoiler
I think he looks pretty nice, now. Managed to fix the forehead (a big part of it was apparently the older hair,) and found him a new skin that looks a lot better.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:23 am

Torie, back when I played him in D&D, was a contortionist.
...who specialized in silk dancing. I rather miss him. Anyway, some pose thumbnails. Nothing special. Most of my art time and juice is taken up by a regrettably NSFW commission that I will thus not be displaying here.
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Looks awesome. I envy people who can dance, especially like that.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:07 pm

All you got to do is move, Sam.
► Show Spoiler
The pictures are amazing as always, Amara :D
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:09 pm

Ahhh thanks ;-;

I haven't danced in years, myself. I kinda miss it, haha. I'm not too amazing. I can....dance to electronica, and otherwise know how to waltz. Therein lies the limits of my actual experience.

► Show Spoiler
So, I'm still without my actual computer and will be until Thursday, but I've been doodling. It was brought to my attention that I haven't given myself a ref sheet in around 3 years now, and so my HRRRRDURRRMURSONA may get a new ref sheet. Maybe. I guess.
I'm not thrilled with the face/feet, but this will get lots of work and digital polishing and finishing and colour stuff eventually, hopefully. I'm bad about abandoning things.

Presently I'm fighting another Vicodin coma off.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:03 pm

ALL YOUR FAULT.
ALL YOUR FAULT.
ALL YOUR FAULT.
You know who you are.
► Show Spoiler

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:15 pm

Mwahahahah.
I'm not at fault but seeing this still extorted a hearty chuckle outta me :')
I am high in fructose.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:39 am

Well.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Ordinarily I'd prefer not to post notebook doodles, but lately I have little else to show.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:57 pm

► Show Spoiler
So, that happened.

Yay maybe games thing.
Horribly wonky anatomy, but at least I drew something. Haven't been drawing much lately.

...but games seem to result in me drawing dumbs.
► Show Spoiler
Super dumbs.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:32 pm

Tiny, useless wings. ...the anatomy is terrible, but I'm trying to work my way through this slump.
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:01 am

I actually like it.. It reminds me of the Deva from DnD but with hair...

Anatomy wise only 2 thinks "pop out" the right arm (left from out view)'s elbow bend is a bit to much.. and the chest looks a bit like its hanging...

but those two points aside, I love it... would wish i could make anything even close to that quality...
-Best regards LAYF

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:22 am

If he reminds you of a Deva with hair, I'm at least doing something right, there.Cough. I mean, he's a completely normal moon elf.

Hnm. I'll need to take a look at it again once I'm not exhausted, I think. Though, it's a very small doodle, and there's not much more point fiddling with it.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:43 am

winged moon elf... hmm... reminds me of http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Avariel
-Best regards LAYF

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:07 pm

Haha, well, not quite, but I suppose it's likely he could be mistaken for one.
► Show Spoiler
It's still wonky, but I was forced to add colour quickly for roll20 reasons. Such tiny, useless wings.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:48 pm

Well... I made Isaac in sims. Modern setting, so hipster clothes happened. Oops. End result: Isaac = photogenic and he basically poses by himself. His brother, Sasha, has a permanent grump face and I failed to get a single decent shot of him.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
And actual sorta painted things... the DM made the mistake of saying one of his mages looked kinda like Christopher Lloyd with a beard.
So this happened. It's not really art being that it's a partial paintover (to get proportions before I actually used the ref to get shading right,) but I don't have much else to show, and it was a rush job because everyone was sad that day and I wanted to cheer them up.
► Show Spoiler
I've now been assigned another GMNPC to paint... and I'm hoping he'll go well. x-x

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Said GMNPC has been painted.. our resident Oracle, Rufio. I'm not as happy with this one, but it's better than I expected it to come out. I jokingly used a screenshot of McFly as an early reference, and the DM didn't notice. :B
► Show Spoiler
Otherwise I drew a bit of derp earlier, but it's just a pretty terrible doodle. Half the party was sucked in to a pocket dimension contained within a book...
► Show Spoiler
Isaac (my cleric) is in a weird spot because one of the kobold party members decided to write "Isaac's wings grow to full size" in to the book, and thus it happened. Isaac then proceeded to fall off of a balcony in the process of trying to get to his brother who he spotted below, but was given a graceful landing via a flight check and said kobold writing more.
....welp.
"Graceful."

Said brother does at least have a game portrait now.
► Show Spoiler
3d model + painting and heavy use of liquify and paint over to fix anatomy before even starting on the rest to fix lighting, etc...but it's much faster than a straight start to finish painting and gives a nice result.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:21 am

Amara wrote:I do! I have an aging intuos 3 9x12.
Haha, animals are in some ways easier than people. You can avoid the uncanny valley entirely.
What would you suggest now for somebody who had not tablet yet?
Do good ones come with software or can they be used with - for example photoshop?
I am not bad with pixel graphics or vector graphics, hand drawn ink pictures, but drawing with a tablet is totally new to me.
:zzz:

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:16 am

I would suggest getting a less expensive tablet first if you aren't certain how you'll feel regarding it. It definitely takes time to adjust to drawing at a tablet while looking at a screen. For their price, Wacom's bamboo series is actually quite nice, if you're not sure if a tablet will be for you.

Tablets do sometimes come bundled with art software. My tablet came bundled with Painter 9 when I purchased it, and I do periodically see Photoshop Elements being bundled, but not full Photoshop.

The biggest thing is that tablets are typically slick surfaces, and when drawing, most are used to feeling resistance. One trick I've seen a few artists do is tape a lightweight paper to their tablets to mimic the 'resistance' feel they're used to.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Wow I haven't uh...posted here in a while.

Isaac eventually got a portrait much like his brother's, but it didn't turn out well and that game ended horribly anyway. (That, and Isaac is honestly far less attractive than his older brother anyway, haha)
► Show Spoiler
I also did a bunch of doodles of Ruathimaer, Elevar's raven familiar.
► Show Spoiler
Perhaps too many.
► Show Spoiler

There were a few more residual images of Isaac, too...like this one.

I also did an art trade with a buddy (he drew Elevar for me!) and I drew his kobold wizard, Ya'snitch Popov. He was from the same game as Isaac. I rather liked Snitch.
► Show Spoiler
Then Starbound ate me for a while
► Show Spoiler
Finding chickens as an avian race was a surreal moment.

Dumb phone doodle of (I guess) Isaac's eye that I did while I was overseas.
► Show Spoiler

And doodled Sarai, Isaac and Sasha's mother a bit.
► Show Spoiler
They came out a bit derpy but it was also like...4 AM when I doodled this. Eh. (Despite giving Ensailalaith the nickname Isaac, despite Sasha's real name being She'alti'el, and despite their mother being Sarai and their father being MIKAEL, no one evvvvvvver caught on to the naming covention.)

...then it was joked that Elevar would make a hot chick.
Then we realized that since the campaign went in an alt reality direction ANYWAY, there was a reality somewhere where he was a chick. So that happened...
► Show Spoiler
This one's pretty sloppy and messy anyway.

A doodle of Sasha's face I never finished or painted
► Show Spoiler
Done to cheer up a friend
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Weird floating fox I doodled while queueing for ranked in LoL
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:32 pm

Sasha's face :shock:
ehm.... :paranoia:

that... that looks like me... especially from the time I played an elf in an live rpg... thats.... ehm....

that aside... love your art.. and your sketches makes me jealous (the good kind) would love to have half the talent...
-Best regards LAYF

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:27 pm

Haha, didn't mean to spook yah!

Ahhh thanks ;-; I've been going through a frustrated bit of stagnation lately, and I feel I haven't improved so much.
► Show Spoiler
Doodled my avatar. Going through another thing in my headspace and ehghhh there may be weird vent art coming. Dont know if I'll post it. Bad picture of this doodle though. I need to get a scanner.