Age Verification

All announcements will be posted here. This is where you should go to report problems and make suggestions.
Slicer
Remains Silent

Re: Age Verification

Post by Slicer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:56 pm

I just wanted to register to tell you that there's another legal way out of this.

COPPA applies to the collection of personal information. If you edit the code to make the e-mail address optional and tell kids not to give you any personal information whatsoever, you are no longer considered an "operator" under 1302(2)(a).

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 am

lingrem wrote:I think it's a great step.

Of course, even knowing this was coming, I spent about 4 minutes getting mad at the webpage becaus I thought it wasn't sending me to the forum index. Took me that long to realize that oh, that red message was actually something I should read and pay attention to! *facepalm*
No need to facepalm for that. Your brain work like it's supposed to. It's called banner blindness.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:15 am

Slicer wrote:I just wanted to register to tell you that there's another legal way out of this.

COPPA applies to the collection of personal information. If you edit the code to make the e-mail address optional and tell kids not to give you any personal information whatsoever, you are no longer considered an "operator" under 1302(2)(a).
I was under the impression that ANY personal data collected was against COPPA regulations. Which would be quite a nightmare to manage if that was, as every "post" he would make would be stored.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:45 am

M0rtimer wrote:
Slicer wrote:I just wanted to register to tell you that there's another legal way out of this.

I was under the impression that ANY personal data collected was against COPPA regulations. Which would be quite a nightmare to manage if that was, as every "post" he would make would be stored.
^---This. Additionally not requiring an email address for verification will dramatically increase the number of spammers we get. Age verification is really the best option and we will be sticking to it.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 am

this is probably a bad time to confess I"m actually 9...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:24 pm

askstoomuch wrote:this is probably a bad time to confess I"m actually 9...
That explains a lot, actually.....
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:18 am

A request: Since the 20th of March has passed, can we please have the red warning banner on top removed?

Thank you.

Edit: I just noticed that it's not visible on all pages anymore, but it's still visible in the sub-forums Goblins Discussion, Communities, Forum Games, Conrtoversy!, and Hidden, as well as in the threats of these sub-forums.