Game Mechanics Edits Appreciated

For all Games related resources.
UnderstandsLittle
Whispers Softly

Game Mechanics Edits Appreciated

Post by UnderstandsLittle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:07 pm

Okay, I'm going to use this post to keep the most recent complete version of the rules, and post only the portions that have been edited since the last time I have posted edits. Feel free to post comments, and keep in mind that portions of the rules, such as combat will not be posted publically. Other hidden mechanics will not be posted as well.

Active Ruleset
► Show Spoiler

On hold rulesets
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by UnderstandsLittle on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ThroughTheWell

Re: Game Mechanics Edits Appreciated

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:48 am

8d6 for 8 abilities? How about 9d6 and drop 1 (unless your average is more than 32 (= all 4s))? Or 18d4 any combination of 2 per ability (-1 per ability to give a range of 1-7)? Both of those methods reduce the likelyhood of getting stuck with 2 minimum scores. The 2d4 gives a slight bell curve, and lets the player choose whether to add their 2 4s together, their 2 1's together, or a 1+4 (-1) = 4. Basicaly, on average, they'd be average, but they'd have the choice of being weak or strong in a particular ability.

Equipment Health could be "wear" or status.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:42 am

Equipment Health - maybe Durability?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:56 am

Thanks Gamecreator... that was the word I was looking for...

That a side...

While the stats seem fine, and especially for a table top game, they also seem to address some semi complex rules. that can be hard on a play by post game, especially a first time...
So... unless you know you can handle all the number juggling and balance along with the GM'ing , I'd suggest that you try something more "clean" first.. maybe just a 10 rounds game or something... so as to get a feel for the difference between play by post and table top.

Its just a suggestion, don't want to see you break your neck on your first try...
-Best regards LAYF

UnderstandsLittle
Whispers Softly

Post by UnderstandsLittle » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:55 pm

New set of rules, thanks to Beandip pointing out the Junior General Website that Looksatyoufunny posted a few months ago. Please note that I've never played any wargames, so all similarities are purely coincidental.

Wargames
► Show Spoiler
After a few days of edits I'm going to go in search of a few people to playtest. Thanks for reading.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:16 am

Hmm.. well...
I think you have made a mistake with your math..

You say:
Hits on - The number you must roll equal to or higher than on a d6 to deal 1 point of damage (Minimum 2)
Avoids on - The number you must roll equal to or higher than on a d6 to avoid 1 point of damage (Roll available once per turn) (Minimum 2)

yet your units have stats of: Hits on 6, 6, 5, 5 and 6. that means that you have only 16,6% chance to hit 3/5 units, and 33,3% for the last two. to this you add an avoid skill, with numbers as 7, 7, 7, 5, and 4. so for the first 3, the skill is useless, as you cannot in any way roll equal to or above 7 with a d6. for the last two it reduces the chance for them, to ever take damage an average of 15,554% and 11,66.

All in all what i think is that you have made your Hits on and Avoid on opposite. so in truth they should be:

Basic Infantry - The basic soldier. Hits on 3, Avoids on 2, 12 move, 1 Range, 1 CP
Archers - Fires Arrows from a distance. Hits on 3, Avoids on 2, 12 move, 10 Range, 1 CP
Cavalry - Mounted Soldiers. Hits on 4, Avoids on 2, 20 Move, 2 Range, 2 CP
Juggernaut - An armored Soldier. Hits on 3, Avoids on 4, 10 Move, 1 Range, 2 CP
Catapult - More useful for battering down walls, but can deal AOE damage. Hits on 3, Avoids on 5, 2 Move, 20 Range (Minimum 5), 1 CP (Hits a 2x2 area)

Now, this makes both skills usable, I still think that the Avoid's on should be higher, The higher it is, the less effective it is, with 1 being most (100%) effective and 6 least (16,66%)
So, a more balanced look would be:

Basic Infantry - The basic soldier. Hits on 3, Avoids on 3, 12 move, 1 Range, 1 CP
Archers - Fires Arrows from a distance. Hits on 3, Avoids on 3, 12 move, 10 Range, 1 CP
Cavalry - Mounted Soldiers. Hits on 4, Avoids on 3, 20 Move, 2 Range, 2 CP
Juggernaut - An armored Soldier. Hits on 3, Avoids on 5, 10 Move, 1 Range, 2 CP
Catapult - More useful for battering down walls, but can deal AOE damage. Hits on 3, Avoids on 6, 2 Move, 20 Range (Minimum 5), 1 CP (Hits a 2x2 area)

Now, you say than when you hit and the unit do not avoid, it takes 1 damage in combat. later you says that when a unit takes 1 damage it dies(is removed permanently from the battle field)
So.. hitting = death.. unless you have special hero units whit more than 1 Health? If that is the case, you should add a health stat, and change the "when a unit takes damage" to "when a unit reaches 0 health

So.. that was just my opinions.
Best regards LAYF :)
-Best regards LAYF

UnderstandsLittle
Whispers Softly

Post by UnderstandsLittle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:08 am

Are you saying that I should make avoids on add to the opponents roll? This passage confused me, so I'm not quite certain what you meant.

Eventually I will add an hp stat, but the units we currently (except the catapult) have will (most likely) 1 hp. Depends on the success of the playtest

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:13 am

It's all about probability. Research how chance to hit depends on both values, look how it changes. You will better understand your system and will be able to make what you want.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:52 am

Yes... as GC says.... its probability.. A more visual approach is to make a grit.

To do that, we must know your system.
You have 2 stats that affects if a opponent takes damage of not. both range from 1 to 6 (as thay are both d6 rolls with no modifiers)
Knowing that we can make a grit like this:
This grit have all the possible rolls you can make with 2 stats compared with a d6 roll(6*6= 36 possible results)

As the first thing to decide you have an offensive stat called Hit On, that is a preset value. to hit an opponent you must roll a d6 and get a number equal to that value or above. So for one example, lets set the Hit On to 4. That will result in this grit:
The black area represents rolls that will not, ever result in a hit, the white area represents possible values that can result in a hit.

After this, the defensive Avoid on Stat. This again is a preset value, that must be rolled above for it to have effect. if the defender rolles above the Avoid on stat, he does not take damage, with no regard to the first roll at all. Lets say this value is also 4 and plot that into the grit:

Doing that will give us the final grit:
This means, that 9 out of 36 possible results will end with damage, and the last 27 will yield no result.
Or, in other words, there are 25% chance to damage a unit this way.

What this grit shows you is that the lower the value of a given stat, the more effective it is.
Values of 1 is 100% effective by them self. This is okay as Hit On stat, but would make for immortal units if set on Avoid On stats.
Values of 6 is the weakest, with an effectiveness of 16.66% or 1/6 if you will.
Values above 6 will have no effect at all. this is okay for the Avoid On stat, but would make no sense on a Hit On stat, unless the given unit have no attack, but yields special abilities instead.

----

A sample battle for you to look on.. first image is "Stats" for the units, All die rolls was made random using http://invisiblecastle.com/
► Show Spoiler
I hope this help a bit to see the problem and possibilities in your system :)

The best regards -LAYF-
-Best regards LAYF

UnderstandsLittle
Whispers Softly

Post by UnderstandsLittle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:19 pm

A few edits to the basic units
► Show Spoiler
Basically I made all units capable of dodging. Also gave all units also now have at least a 50% chance to hit.