I like books.

Moderators: Community Moderators, Chat Moderators

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Re: I like books.

Post by SccrD25 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:22 pm

SamWiser wrote: I watched part of the first episode, and I was with them until I saw Zedd, and that was it. I turned it on a year later, and I saw another Confessor, and that was the last I ever watched it. One horrible casting choice (in my opinion) and a major plot change like that? I'll stick with the books.
Watched a few more this weekend. Believe it or not it gets worse. The yelling was epic. There was a whole episode about Richard meeting his mother and half brother (not Micheal, he's someone else, and already betrayed him the first episode)

I like paper books. This is because Its a life-goal of mine to have a full library. I'm halfway through filling up my second bookshelf right now.
At some point I should really come up with a clever signature

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:26 pm

SccrD25 wrote:I like paper books. This is because Its a life-goal of mine to have a full library. I'm halfway through filling up my second bookshelf right now.
Amateur ;) :lol:

I have a full book shelf (4 rows about 3' wide each) plus at least 4 full boxes worth of books that are packed away due to my current inability to have them out. My parents started my love of reading and it's one I'm trying to pass on to my daughter... so far it's working. 8)

I'm hoping that after I get married, I'll be able to have my Wall O' Books that I get to share with my equally bibliophilic fiance.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:34 pm

Wolfie wrote: Amateur ;) :lol:
Lol, amateur is fair. I only started this quest about 4 years ago. A few years before that I donated all my childhood books when I went to college (not that I would want 80% of those in my library.) I do have a fairly large box full of more, but only books I've read get added to the shelves, so those don't count yet. There's also the unknown multitude of loaners I'll never see again but those obviously don't count either.

Do I get an extra points for double stacking each shelf (two rows of books on each shelf)? The cases are 5 shelves each about 3 feet wide.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:55 pm

I was only messing with you SccrD25.

And yes, you'd get extra points for that... although that's usually how I have my shelves stacked as well.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:04 pm

Wolfie wrote:I was only messing with you SccrD25.

And yes, you'd get extra points for that... although that's usually how I have my shelves stacked as well.
Oh no worries, I had figured as much, and honestly amateur is indeed accurate here.

Sweeeet. Must get ALL the points

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:14 pm

I also embarked on a quest to have an epic bookshelf (or more) filled to the brim with books and so far I have about 30-40 books (together with my fianc├®e the number goes up to about a hundred (she re-instilled the love for books in me). My current goal is to get acquainted with the classics of the fantasy genre (about 84 titles, both stand-alones and trilogies, sagas, which were on the list made by mr Sapkowski, of the Witcher fame).
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:18 pm

WastesTime wrote:I also embarked on a quest to have an epic bookshelf (or more) filled to the brim with books and so far I have about 30-40 books (together with my fianc├®e the number goes up to about a hundred (she re-instilled the love for books in me). My current goal is to get acquainted with the classics of the fantasy genre (about 84 titles, both stand-alones and trilogies, sagas, which were on the list made by mr Sapkowski, of the Witcher fame).
So I'm guessing you would recommend Witcher? A friend was telling me I would really enjoy those yesterday.

And hells yeah, keep up the good work!

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:30 pm

SccrD25 wrote:
So I'm guessing you would recommend Witcher? A friend was telling me I would really enjoy those yesterday.

And hells yeah, keep up the good work!
Yeah, although as I and my friend Alvar have mentioned before, the translation is somewhat sloppy due to the great difference between English and Polish (the former being an analytic, and the latter being a synthetic language). The story and the characters are great though. It is a wonder how Sapkowski manages to not make you slit your wrists as you dig deep into his Crapsack world (I mean, a really, really over-the-top Crapsack world. CRAPSACK world. C-R-A-P-S-A-C-K WORLD!).

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm working towards an Epic Book Shelf too.

Except that I have boxes of books sitting in Ontario. And I gave away bags of them when I was living in England.

But... I've got about 2 shelves worth here... but those have almost all been shipped to me, as the books I bought in the summer I left in Ontario as I had no room in my suitcase! LOL!
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Oops my bad, I had been scared away from yalls convo by all the Polish language discussion (which I have exactly zero skill points in). I see that is exactly what you were talking about. Recommendation taken to heart, thank you.

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:03 pm

SccrD25 wrote:
Wolfie wrote: Amateur ;) :lol:
Lol, amateur is fair. I only started this quest about 4 years ago. A few years before that I donated all my childhood books when I went to college (not that I would want 80% of those in my library.) I do have a fairly large box full of more, but only books I've read get added to the shelves, so those don't count yet. There's also the unknown multitude of loaners I'll never see again but those obviously don't count either.

Do I get an extra points for double stacking each shelf (two rows of books on each shelf)? The cases are 5 shelves each about 3 feet wide.
ALL BOOKS COUNT!!!

Who in the world wants a library full of ONLY books they've already read?

SHEESH!

mnem
There, there, Temeraire... I'll get back to you, dearheart.

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Lol I do. It's how I keep score. ;)

They certainly count, just not towards what my brain has feasted on yet.

So I googled Temeraire. Got to the words "Dragon Air-force"

I need those books now

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:55 pm

They are pretty awesome. Sometimes the political aspects can make it a little slow though. I read the first few, got surrounded in politics, and had to bail. I'm going to read them again soon.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Post by TinSoldier » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Any Honor Harrington fans?

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:11 pm

TinSoldier wrote:Any Honor Harrington fans?
Yeah, for all but the Crown of Slaves book. And I probably have not read the most recent books.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:36 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:
TinSoldier wrote:Any Honor Harrington fans?
Yeah, for all but the Crown of Slaves book. And I probably have not read the most recent books.
I don't think I've read Crown of Slaves yet, although I've read books after it.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Tin, are you my mummy?

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:01 pm

RocketScientist wrote:Tin, are you my mummy?

;)

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:30 am

I have stumbled upon "A Malady of Magicks" by Craig Shaw Gardner (It cost me only 4 PLN, that is 1 EUR/$), and I'm unsure now. Anyone knows that series? Is it worth searching for book 2&3?
I kinda liked first one, but not very much. But I DID like it. But maybe not? I feel.... I have no idea how I feel about this book :P I believe all bibliophiles know that feeling :shrug:
Please keep in mind any health advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not 'very' experienced (yet :P)

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:13 pm

This thread seems to have died off, and I am tired of both double posting and editing and the other threads, as well as unwilling to make a thread for every single Author, so I am posting here.

If any one needs to read a dystopian book, either for fun or a class, I would strongly suggest Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale". It is an extremely good read, and is also very intriguing.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:50 pm

I haven't read that, but dystopia always brings me down. Take "1984" for example. The book had me sitting silent for an hour after I've read it. It doubles for me as I've pondered about the communism in eastern and central Europe in the decades after the World War II.

On a different note: I've recently re-read Machiavelli's "The Prince" and I must say it is a great piece of work which I strongly recommend. Have you read it? Do you recommend "The Art of War" by Sun-Tzu? I mentioned the last one, cause it seems like a natural choice after or before reading "The Prince". I've heard that they cover roughly the same topic of power, but Sun Tzu focuses on how to win it and The Prince more on how to keep it.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:59 pm

I have read "The Prince", and in fact I just mentioned it earlier today on this very forum :)
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:27 pm

For people who love books, and who read ebooks on the computer or on a Kindle (or who know how to strip the DRM off of Kindle books to put on other e-readers :paranoia: ), I want to plug a couple of useful sites which send out daily emails with discounted and free ebooks:

BookBub
PixelOfInk

I've established quite a large library of free books which I don't have time to read!

And of course, every book lover should be aware of Project Gutenberg.

Baen Books also has a Free Library

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:58 pm

Eh, I enjoy the feel and the weight of a hard book in my hands. I personally own 50 something books, while my parents own hundreds. They just have a physical and intangible weight about them that is appealing.

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:12 pm

Arydra wrote:Eh, I enjoy the feel and the weight of a hard book in my hands. I personally own 50 something books, while my parents own hundreds. They just have a physical and intangible weight about them that is appealing.
I agree, but it's nice to have access to hundreds more books than I could ever possibly own. It's convenient for camping, too.