30 April 2013: Altsplanation 5 - Reality 98

Discuss the comic here!
CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Re: 30 April 2013: Altsplanation 5 - Reality 98

Post by CelineSSauve » Fri May 03, 2013 8:01 am

Elvors wrote:Dehumanizing people isn't just a prelude to war, it's also a prelude to genocide.

I still think it's zero empathy, regardless of race or friendship status.
His obsession with monsters seems isn't that specific; after all, he's attacking MinMax with intent to kill (instead of pursuing a friendly brawl), and the civilians around him have horrible fear of him as their reactions to the duel show.

Fully agreeing otherwise, including semi-related :-)
Hmm. I don't know. I think he has a very misplaced idea of what will keep the population safe. The most important thing being absolute obedience to his Laws.

As for wanting to Kill MinMax. :shrug: The guy tossed him through a window without any apparent provocation (from GS' viewpoint).

kaeroku
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by kaeroku » Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 am

Elvors wrote:
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
Elvors wrote:I'm not questioning their moral compass. I'm questioning their self-image - whether they'd still find it a Good Thing if the situation arose in reality.
The usual outcome of such situtions is that 95% have a problem with actually carrying it through. And you can't predict who's going to be in the 5% group.
sadly you'r number is wrong...werry wrong indeed.... try that 65% would go as fare as risking killing the other, and thats when even having nothing against him...

Milgram experiment
Look closer: Most would have stopped on their own. They needed to be goaded ahead by the perceived authority figure.
He has a point though. If you look closer yourself, you'll see that the experiment was repeated numerous times since with increasingly modern ethical standards applied, and similar results across the board... even after watching other participants refuse to continue and walk away.

The fallacy here isn't that they had to be goaded, it's the difference between compelled behavior and personal choice. Compelled behavior is something someone else influences you towards, personal choice is something undertaken yourself. While manipulation can make it difficult to tell the difference in some cases, I think it's fair to say that GS wasn't acting on anyone else's orders when he did what he did. Likewise, neither was TortureMax.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri May 03, 2013 10:59 am

Also, this page gets me to wondering: Are there NO alternate realities where Goblinslayer isn't a total dink?
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri May 03, 2013 11:21 am

BuildsLegos wrote:Also, this page gets me to wondering: Are there NO alternate realities where Goblinslayer isn't a total dink?
Well, the multiverse is predominately evil. Though I suppose he's a lot more justified in the ultra-tough-goblins reality in his actions.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Fri May 03, 2013 11:25 am

Glemp wrote:
BuildsLegos wrote:Also, this page gets me to wondering: Are there NO alternate realities where Goblinslayer isn't a total dink?
Well, the multiverse is predominately evil. Though I suppose he's a lot more justified in the ultra-tough-goblins reality in his actions.
That's probably the one where he sided with the Monsters... :roll:

Sheeva
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Sheeva » Fri May 03, 2013 11:37 am

Maybe in the reality where Kin looks like Goblinslayer.

Sheeva
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Sheeva » Fri May 03, 2013 11:39 am

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Fri May 03, 2013 11:42 am

Sheeva wrote:Could this be TortureMax?

http://duke.a-comics.ru/fmk/20130409_u1.jpg
*blinks* No boardsword, so I would say no?

Sheeva
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Sheeva » Fri May 03, 2013 11:45 am

CelineSSauve wrote:
Sheeva wrote:Could this be TortureMax?

http://duke.a-comics.ru/fmk/20130409_u1.jpg
*blinks* No boardsword, so I would say no?
Good point, I missed that detail. ;)