[1 Dec 2020] - Book 6, Page 20 - Look, its nothing personal ...

Discuss the comic here!
Generic
Converses Frequently

Re: [1 Dec 2020] - Book 6, Page 20 - Look, its nothing personal ...

Post by Generic » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 pm

WearsHats wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:08 pm Okay, I looked back through. The instant he returns, we see three notches lit on the sword. Which makes sense and serves a narrative purpose. Then he puts the sword away off-panel and we haven't seen it since. It went directly from Vorpal's flashback to Complains's flashback. So the bonus has probably ended by now.
Put away? He has been holding that sword since he got it.
Yes. A little afterglow of the jewels makes sense for the storytelling. Or it might still be +3,but will fade in time for the next fight.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:24 am

Generic wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 pm
WearsHats wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:08 pm Okay, I looked back through. The instant he returns, we see three notches lit on the sword. Which makes sense and serves a narrative purpose. Then he puts the sword away off-panel and we haven't seen it since. It went directly from Vorpal's flashback to Complains's flashback. So the bonus has probably ended by now.
Put away? He has been holding that sword since he got it.
Yes. A little afterglow of the jewels makes sense for the storytelling. Or it might still be +3,but will fade in time for the next fight.
He's not holding the sword on this page: https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-12-2020

ForgetsHisUID
Mutters to Themself

Post by ForgetsHisUID » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:59 am

I like the idea that Trolls isn't actually there to test them, but to help them find their true selves.

BUT, on the off chance that, being a Lawful angel, she's telling the truth, and she is contractually obligated to kill Complains - or, TRY to kill him. But, what if Complains 'wins' the battle, and 'defeats' Trolls? Then, perhaps, the contract would allow her to be 'forced' to send Complains back?

Trolls: Ok, we're fighting, I guess.. you don't actually think you stand a chance, do you?

Complains: RAAAAH KILL YOU!

Trolls: Aww, look, he's raging! That's sooo cuuuute!! *effortlessly parries each stroke* Hmmm...

Complains: DIE DIE DIEDIEDIE!!!

*Trolls lets a blow through, tilting her head in so it cuts the tip of her horn off*

Trolls: *dramatic gasp* OH WOE! MY HORN! I AM UNDONE!! *melodramatically collapses*

Complains: DI- Huh?

Trolls: *dramatically gesturing* YOU HAVE DEFEATED ME, OH MIGHTY WARRIOR!! SPARE MY LIFE, AND I SHALL GRANT YOU A BOON!!

Complains: Uh, you're not even blee-

Trolls: ANY BOON YOU DESIRE, EVEN SENDING YOU BACK TO YOUR FRIENDS (playalongyoutwitifoundaloophole), ONLY SPARE MY LIFE!!

Complains: Oh, uh, ok, send me back, then?

Trolls: OH THANK YOU MIGHTY WARRIOR!! TAKE YOUR TROPHY AND LEAVE ME IN PEACE!!

Complains: ...uh... trophy?

*Trolls rolls her eyes, nods towards the severed tip of her horn*

Complains: Oh! *grabs horn, Trolls throws left lever*

Trolls: *sigh* Thought he'd never figure it out...

EPILOGUE: Realized this story only makes Gellin's nickname more fitting...

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:51 am

ForgetsKeys wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:09 pm Well, it looks like I was wrong. If I'm understanding the last two panels correctly (a little difficult since they're incomplete) Complains CAN fly with those IME wings.
blargfoot wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:31 pm I'm confused ... if his stats didn't go up until the angel made him chief then wouldn't that prove that he WASN'T a chief up until that point?
You can look at the forums for the past 2 pages to see people arguing about this. My understanding is that there are two ceremonies: Selecting the next chief, and the actual chiefing. Neither ceremony requires much fanfare (as opposed to the teller ceremony, which has more of a process). Complains didn't believe that Chief did the selection ceremony because it was too simple, so the angel proved Complains wrong by performing the chiefing ceremony to show that a ceremony can be simple.

Just to avoid any further confusion:
https://mobile.twitter.com/EllipsisGoblins/status/1334632268468346880 wrote:Hmmm. It looks like I was unclear about a detail in the comic. My bad.

Chief didn't MAKE Names into the next Chief. Chief only marked him as his choice. It's kinda like endorsing him. So he's only just now become Chief.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:33 am

ForgetsHisUID wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:59 am I like the idea that Trolls isn't actually there to test them, but to help them find their true selves.

BUT, on the off chance that, being a Lawful angel, she's telling the truth, and she is contractually obligated to kill Complains - or, TRY to kill him. But, what if Complains 'wins' the battle, and 'defeats' Trolls? Then, perhaps, the contract would allow her to be 'forced' to send Complains back?

Trolls: Ok, we're fighting, I guess.. you don't actually think you stand a chance, do you?

Complains: RAAAAH KILL YOU!

Trolls: Aww, look, he's raging! That's sooo cuuuute!! *effortlessly parries each stroke* Hmmm...

Complains: DIE DIE DIEDIEDIE!!!

*Trolls lets a blow through, tilting her head in so it cuts the tip of her horn off*

Trolls: *dramatic gasp* OH WOE! MY HORN! I AM UNDONE!! *melodramatically collapses*

Complains: DI- Huh?

Trolls: *dramatically gesturing* YOU HAVE DEFEATED ME, OH MIGHTY WARRIOR!! SPARE MY LIFE, AND I SHALL GRANT YOU A BOON!!

Complains: Uh, you're not even blee-

Trolls: ANY BOON YOU DESIRE, EVEN SENDING YOU BACK TO YOUR FRIENDS (playalongyoutwitifoundaloophole), ONLY SPARE MY LIFE!!

Complains: Oh, uh, ok, send me back, then?

Trolls: OH THANK YOU MIGHTY WARRIOR!! TAKE YOUR TROPHY AND LEAVE ME IN PEACE!!

Complains: ...uh... trophy?

*Trolls rolls her eyes, nods towards the severed tip of her horn*

Complains: Oh! *grabs horn, Trolls throws left lever*

Trolls: *sigh* Thought he'd never figure it out...

EPILOGUE: Realized this story only makes Gellin's nickname more fitting...
Even if he is at +3 at the end, I assume he'll have to roll a natural 20 to hit her? So your idea sounds very feasible.

What was Gellin's plan to begin with? Why is she baffled by a cornered barbarian attacking her? Did she count on bullying him into taking his own life? She summoned the spear, but has not seemed bent on getting over to Complains and commit the murder?

Evilhippy
Remains Silent

Post by Evilhippy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:03 am

I see two glowing dots on Complains sword.

Does anyone remember what exactly his sword does? It's slipping my memories.

Ophidiophile
Remains Silent

Post by Ophidiophile » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:50 pm

"I will maintain a realistic assessment of my strengths and weaknesses. Even though this takes some of the fun out of the job, at least I will never utter the line "No, this cannot be! I AM INVINCIBLE!!!" (After that, death is usually instantaneous.)"

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Evilhippy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:03 am I see two glowing dots on Complains sword.

Does anyone remember what exactly his sword does? It's slipping my memories.
For each tumble check he passes, it gains +1, up till +12.

+12.

Yeah. That is not a typo. +12.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:33 pm

But for your reference: copied here the source of the information:
http://www.goblinscomic.org/comic/04032017-2/ wrote:Wall of Knowledge: The Tumbleblade
Wall of Knowledge: Each time the wielder performs a successful tumble check during combat, this blade gains a +1 bonus for the duration of that combat. This bonus can stack up to a total of +12.

Jaeum
Remains Silent

Post by Jaeum » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:32 pm

I know this is not directly related to this page. But I just realised that we have an interpretation of the profecy!
I don't know if anybody posted it before, I couldn't find it.

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-21

"The levels are gained outside of time;
She saw but misunderstood: the name is not right."
That's clearly referring to this room of the dungeon!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:29 am

Yes, and if I remember correctly, someone in the previous page's thread has commented on this.

Edit: nope, it was even earlier: Aserik already in August. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2228&p=295597&hilit ... od#p295590
Aserik didn't mention the "the levels are gained outside of time" though (although links to the foreshadowing overload have been provided and everyone could read it)
This indeed surely is one of the prophecies from the foreshadowing overload.

It also seems like Fumbles was not able to interpret that correctly himself.
Otherwise he might've been better prepared with his argumentations. Or chosen the "correct" answer.

Interestingly, he and Complains level up, despite the wrong answer.

I wonder if the "Death of a Goblin, death of a God" also plays here....

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:06 am

Aserik mentioned it in the post you linked?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:40 am

I should learn reading.... My fault.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:49 am

Krulle wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:40 am I should learn reading.... My fault.
You make up for it by being a living deck of index cards of this forum and the comic.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:35 am

I think I am just too pedantic, and willing to use the search tools, and created the transcriptions to be able to search it all...