The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:48 pm

Coljin's spells he will pray for in the morning.
Create/destroy water
Guiding bolt
Healing word
Protection from poison
Hold person
Find Traps
Silence
Augury
Protection from Energy
Dispel magic

plus his normal domain spells he gets: Bless, Cure wounds, Lesser restoration, Spiritual Weapon, Beacon of hope and Revivify (No one die yet, as we don't have the components to cast revivify yet!)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:05 pm

I'm planning on using some alternate rules to run Tren and Galt as 'retainers' using third party rules from Matt Colville's "Strongholds and Followers".

Basically it allows the party to run them, without the complexity of running another full NPC. It makes things a bit easier on me, as well as giving each of you an additional avenue to affect the outcome of any combat. There are a number of ways in which retainers differ from PCs that make them easy to run in addition to your regular character.
  • No tracking HP, they have 'health levels' that increase or decrease, making the bookkeeping simpler
  • If you hit, they hit. If you miss, or don't attack, they roll separately
  • Other minor ways, but those are the core
I am considering having the squad of dragonborn bughunters operate similarly, possibly combining them into units.

It would be purely opt in, no one is obligated to run retainers, but if you'd be interested, just let me know who you'd want!
  • Tren
  • Galt
  • A Unit of Dragonborn Bughunters
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:26 am

Might make sense for either Randy or Zokk to run the vesper squad, since they speak dragon.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:26 am

I was planning on divvying them up among any who want to run them, but they'd be able to function on their own, you don't need to issue instructions IC necessarily, though you're welcome to RP that!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:27 am

NotStickFigures wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:48 pm Coljin's spells he will pray for in the morning.
Create/destroy water
Guiding bolt
Healing word
Protection from poison
Hold person
Find Traps
Silence
Augury
Protection from Energy
Dispel magic

plus his normal domain spells he gets: Bless, Cure wounds, Lesser restoration, Spiritual Weapon, Beacon of hope and Revivify (No one die yet, as we don't have the components to cast revivify yet!)
Zokk will try thier hardest to not die!

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:03 pm

I will not be posting much or at all over the holiday. I might be able to do a small post or two from phone. Be back Sunday.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:45 am

No worries, we'll plan on kicking things off then.

So this just happened in another PbP forum, and it was too good not to share, and thought Burns could appreciate as a former druid.

My half-orc snuck in as a spider, positioned himself above a goblin while clinging to the ceiling, then when the halfling rogue assassin kicked things off, reverting to half-orc and dropping on the goblin for lethal falling damage to it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:01 pm

Heh. Maji would have toyally done something similar.

On a somewhat relevant note, I was thinking after Zokk gets the next level of shadow monk, I was thinking on having them go into Rogue 3 (thief/assassin/other from tasha’s) or Druid 2-5 (moon, spore, shepard,other)

Pros of Rogue: sneak attack, dash/disingage/dodge/stealth as bonus action, can learn per and get expertise, can dismantle traps/locks

Pros of Druid: can go into tiny places, additional buffer of hp (and not be vulnerable to fire), can blend in better by pretending to be a pet of some sort/decrease suspision, spellcasting

Cons of druid: unable to use monk attacks and some abilities in animal form

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:59 pm

Yeah, I think that Rogue/Monk has more synergy from the start, though it limits weapon options to dagger or shortsword to get both monk weapon and sneak attack. Saves on ki being able BA Cunning Action.

Druid I think takes a bit more work, but they would be able to make unarmed attacks, they'd just be in place of whatever attacks are in the statblock, so with Zokk's 18 DEX, pretty much any form would be a drop in both AC and damage, but as you said, it gives you an HP buffer and has some other benefits.

By way of example, Zokk has 17 AC and does 1d6+4 on unarmed strikes, and currently can make 3 of those per turn for an average of 22.5 damage if all 3 connect at a +8 to hit.

A black bear with 10 DEX would have an AC of 13 (from Zokk's WIS, an improvement over its 11), and could either use natural attacks (1d6+2+2d4+2) for 12.5 damage on if all hit at a +4 to hit, or use unarmed strikes to do 3d6 for 12.5 damage on average if all hit at only a +2 to hit.

Either way, if its something you want to pursue, we can talk it out when it comes time to be looking at taking 7th level, to make sure things work the way you want them to work!

Though Evasion comes online for monks at level 7, and can be very good for avoiding fiery AOE damage!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:37 pm

I think darts also work with both, but Monk doesn't care too much about what type of weapon used so the dagger/shortsword isn't too much of an issue.

As for Druid, I was planning on using it more out of combat and such. Shepard is the type I am leaning towards if they get Druid, as they can also speak to beasts/fey, which can be useful for other bits of information and communication with local beasts as a beast. It also has the added bonus of granting an aura that helps allies. If I get Shepard, probably only two levels (or three) of it for a decent gain.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:15 pm

I think Monk are simple melee and shortswords, so darts aren't, as they are ranged.

But yes, plenty of non-combat applications.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:19 am

Today's my long teaching day (well, one of them) but if everyone's down to get rolling, I can work on getting that post finalized as I've got time!

Anyone want to take Tren and/or Galt on as retainers?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:31 pm

Tren and Galt, what class are they again? I think one is a sorcerer but not certain.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Both fighters, Szartha is the caster (wizard/rogue).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:34 pm

Tren is a cavalier and Galt is a samurai. Tren is better on a horse.

Does it make sense to have Dornikal take them? He sees them as his last remaining colleagues and really doesn't want anything else to happen to them.

Ready to roll!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:10 pm

Yeah, I'd say that makes sense. Lurks and Lost Burns taking dragonborn, do NSF and M0rt want some too? Don't need to RP your character commanding them if you don't want, they are able to act autonomously, but under your direction as a player?

Also those subclasses are correct, though I'll either have to alter them to another subclass or make one up, as the S&F book doesn't cover subclasses from XGE. Tren's been mostly crossbow since the caravan lost their horses to the orc stewpots. I'll already be needing to adapt or make something up for the bug hunters, so we'll see how it goes.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:37 pm

No, if Dornikal takes them, I'm fine with not having any.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:21 pm

Want some dragonborn?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:34 pm

Sure, I guess I should try to learn this concept!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:52 pm

Randy
• 1 unit Dragonborn Bug Hunters

Zokk
• ?

Dornikal
• Galt
• Tren

Coljin
• 1 unit Dragonborn Bug Hunters

Ulmwin
• ?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:03 pm

Zokk will get 1 unit of Dragonborn please

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:21 am

Yay! Minions! :evillaugh:
minion-dave-3500-3500.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:07 pm

Yay! redshirts! >:D

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:34 am

I'm in the end of semester grading push, as soon as I can carve out some time, I'll get this rolling! Thanks for your patience!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:59 pm

All of my grades need to be in by midnight tomorrow, so I'll post a lead in to our next adventure and let you guys play in the space a bit, with the plan to kick things off in earnest in the next few days.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler