[1 Dec 2020] - Book 6, Page 20 - Look, its nothing personal ...

Discuss the comic here!
Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

[1 Dec 2020] - Book 6, Page 20 - Look, its nothing personal ...

Post by Tofu » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:30 am

Todays webomic

We know how this ends, a level up, accepting being a chief and a piece of a goblin's angels horn in hand ... I kinda want to see how a pint sized angry Goblin takes down an angel ... it should be fun ...

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: [1 Dec 2020] - Book 6, Page 20 - Look, its nothing personal ...

Post by Krulle » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:49 am

He doesn't need to defeat her.
Just reach either the switch, or jump straight up.
And get her horn.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:07 am

How many times can a character tumble in a round?
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:33 am

Also, just re-reading, and noticing how much Complains of Names is standing of for how Goblins are treated by others.
He IS a chief.
Not necessarily a strategic good thinker, but he's able, willing, and doing the defence of his entrusted ones.

Crimson
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Crimsonak

Post by Crimson » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:14 am

Generic wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:07 am How many times can a character tumble in a round?
Never actually thought about this question.

Tumble is a move action though, so I imagine you can do it multiple times between platforms provided you pass each check and if the total distance is 1/2 your speed or less.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:31 am

Crimson wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:14 am
Generic wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:07 am How many times can a character tumble in a round?
Never actually thought about this question.

Tumble is a move action though, so I imagine you can do it multiple times between platforms provided you pass each check and if the total distance is 1/2 your speed or less.
I assume leaping across a giant void also would be a move action?

Thing is: Complains got a really broken sword, or the angel is showing a remarkable lack of initiative. That sword goes up to +10. Few combats should stretch to 10 rounds, but if he can load it many times per round it gets really nasty really fast.
Last edited by Generic on Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:34 am

A D&D round is 1 minute, split into 10 6-second turns. Each turn generally consists of one action and a movement phase. Movement is determined by your character's speed, which is given in the number of feet of ground you can cover. Optionally, you can use your action to double your movement.

Tumbling comes into play when you try to move past an enemy without them being able to attack you in passing, when you fall more than 10 feet, or when you're jumping. (Jumping is its own skill, but the tumble skill can give you a bonus on jump checks, and a DM might be persuaded to count it for something like the tumble sword.) You can also use your tumble skill in place of a performance check (if you're trying to put on a show like a street acrobat).

A goblin can normally move 30 feet per turn, or 60 if running (i.e. taking a double move in place of the standard action). Tumbling can slow your movement by half, but jumping does not. If moving past multiple enemies, jumping multiple gaps/obstacles, or performing a series of complex acrobatic moves, you'd need one check for each.

So the short answer is: You tumble as many times as necessary to cover what you're doing within your 60 feet of movement. (If you're in mid-air when your 60 feet runs out, you finish the jump on your next turn.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:03 am

That is strange. I would assume a round would be everyone taking their turn.

Whatever.

So the sword is super duper broken. Check.

Bapuvitttssf
Of Few Words

Post by Bapuvitttssf » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:25 am

Generic wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:03 amSo the sword is super duper broken.
Herbert is not a very good DM, and he did allow another broken weapon before (Oblivious).

AnonySimon
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by AnonySimon » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:33 am

WearsHats wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:34 am A D&D round is 1 minute, split into 10 6-second turns. Each turn generally consists of one action and a movement phase.
I think you got that backwards. A D&D turn is 1 minute, split into 10 6-second rounds. Each round consists of a Full-round action, or a Standard plus a Move action; There are also Swift, Immediate, and Free actions.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:42 am

AnonySimon wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:33 am
WearsHats wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:34 am A D&D round is 1 minute, split into 10 6-second turns. Each turn generally consists of one action and a movement phase.
I think you got that backwards. A D&D turn is 1 minute, split into 10 6-second rounds. Each round consists of a Full-round action, or a Standard plus a Move action; There are also Swift, Immediate, and Free actions.
Ah, you're right. Thank you.

As for tumbling: I should point out a couple of things. First, you have to pass your tumble check. Baseline for that is usually DC 15, which means you have to roll at least a 15 on a D20. Even if you have a +5 bonus, that's still a 50/50 chance. Each time. Depending on what you're trying to do, failure could have serious consequences. (I think failure also resets the sword? I can't remember.) Second, you can't just declare that you're going to tumble 6 times (unless you have Herbert for a DM, I guess). Complains is jumping through a debris field. There's a reason for each jump. (Also, I forgot to mention previously that the vertical distance you travel when you jump is subtracted from your available movement.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:28 pm

It better reset on a fail and/or a successful attack. Whatever party that is not built around bringing it to bear is doing something wrong. It's gamebreaking. Everyone should tank apart from wielder who should tumble. And tumble fast. It's a +10. 10! Doable in a short time.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:45 pm

Trolls Mortals really gets a lot of flack from the community and rightly so. She has a bit of an attitude despite her being actually quite benevolent.

But I really, really, really love the completely unintentional, extremely low-key sass she's simply radiating in this one.
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

blargfoot
Remains Silent

Post by blargfoot » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:31 pm

I'm confused ... if his stats didn't go up until the angel made him chief then wouldn't that prove that he WASN'T a chief up until that point?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:57 pm

Dangit, accidentally edited this,post when yi wanted to quote it. Sorry for the loss of previously posted info...
But for your reference: copied here the source of the information:
http://www.goblinscomic.org/comic/04032017-2/ wrote:Wall of Knowledge: The Tumbleblade
Wall of Knowledge: Each time the wielder performs a successful tumble check during combat, this blade gains a +1 bonus for the duration of that combat. This bonus can stack up to a total of +12.
Last edited by Krulle on Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:09 pm

Well, it looks like I was wrong. If I'm understanding the last two panels correctly (a little difficult since they're incomplete) Complains CAN fly with those IME wings.
blargfoot wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:31 pm I'm confused ... if his stats didn't go up until the angel made him chief then wouldn't that prove that he WASN'T a chief up until that point?
You can look at the forums for the past 2 pages to see people arguing about this. My understanding is that there are two ceremonies: Selecting the next chief, and the actual chiefing. Neither ceremony requires much fanfare (as opposed to the teller ceremony, which has more of a process). Complains didn't believe that Chief did the selection ceremony because it was too simple, so the angel proved Complains wrong by performing the chiefing ceremony to show that a ceremony can be simple.

seanthepanda
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by seanthepanda » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:29 pm

Velgar wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:45 pm Trolls Mortals really gets a lot of flack from the community and rightly so. She has a bit of an attitude despite her being actually quite benevolent.

But I really, really, really love the completely unintentional, extremely low-key sass she's simply radiating in this one.
I don't get the flak. She's obviously Lawful to an extreme degree, and that kind of reminds me of the celestial guides that Aasimar have. They're entities that embody certain alignment traits. The descriptions of them even say that they might come into conflict with morality of mortals where it falls in the areas of grey, where the line between Law and justice might be blurred. I like this goblin angel entity a lot, not because she fits that description to a tee, but because she sees and understands those blurred lines. And yet she continues to act according to her nature, all the while showing regret and frustration at those actions. I think it wouldn't be as great a character if she was just a powerful but unfeeling entity that just performs its task with no room for negotiation.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:01 pm

The question Complains was asked was: Could you be a good chief?

His answer was: That's moot. I'm not eligible to be chief. (Because he used the +1 sword from the Poorly Locked Chest, which automatically exiled him from the clan as an "empty goblin.")

Gellin: You're wrong on both counts. If you'd been made chief, you would have led the clan to legendary status. And, while you were made an "empty goblin," Chief revoked that status and designated you as his chosen successor.

Complains: Impossible. That never happened.

Gellin: Sure it did. And to prove to you that you were, in fact, eligible to become chief, by the power vested in me as an angel... poof now you're chief. But, sadly, the rules say I have to kill you now. I'm very sorry about this.

In my mind, Gellin is basically a celestial game show host. She has to ask each contestant a question. In her heart, she's rooting for them to win. But the rules of the game say she still has to kill them if they fail.

Now the question is what happens with the rest of the GAP. Will Ears go to meet Gellin, knowing the consequences? If so, what will happen? Getting enough XP to level up is pretty good. But you're risking your life. But it's not clear that there's a way out of this room if you don't. At least he'll go in forewarned.

► Show Spoiler

Lightning Lance
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Lightning Lance » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:31 pm

blargfoot wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:31 pm I'm confused ... if his stats didn't go up until the angel made him chief then wouldn't that prove that he WASN'T a chief up until that point?
When a king appoints a successor on their death bed, the successor isn't just immediately king after that. They still have to be crowned.
Or you could think of it as Complains being the Chief-Elect, who now officially became Chief.

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:21 pm

It's obvious what the angel is actually there for and it has nothing to do with giving them a life or death quiz. In both cases she has challenged their own perception of themselves, the thing that's been holding them back. She is there to help them find their true selves.

Fumbles always saw himself as Fumbles, the joke who couldn't do anything right. His persona of Vorpal was just a goofy attempt to hide from his belief that he was useless. Even after the teller ceremony he still had no confidence. The angel made him stand up for that belief by telling him "Nope, that's not you" right after telling him to believe in himself.

Complains didn't think he had what it takes to be chief. She actually chiefed him then prodded him into attacking her and actually managing to damage her. That's something a chief does, not an empty goblin.

Now I don't expect to see the others facing her. Who is going to voluntarily submit to what seems to be a life and death quiz with impossible questions? Which means they won't be getting the same level boost. Well... I suppose Ears might. I mean a chance for a paladin to meet an angel would be hard to pass up.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:46 pm

Krulle wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:57 pm
http://www.goblinscomic.org/comic/04032017-2/ wrote:Wall of Knowledge: The Tumbleblade
Wall of Knowledge: Each time the wielder performs a successful tumble check during combat, this blade gains a +1 bonus for the duration of that combat. This bonus can stack up to a total of +12.
But he escaped, and his sword is still lit up. So... either the light will fade shortly, or... combat hasn't ended and she's about to pay them all a visit, and maybe that's why we saw all this as a flashback.

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:28 am

How is "end of combat" measured in D&D?

By having a turn or just a round with no fight-based actions? Then his escape might be combat related.
I mean fleeing a battle seems to be combat related. But at the same time also ends the combat.

But is there an objective measurement applicable to all situations?
If yes - would a tumble out of the green (not combat related) increase the attack bonus of the blade? (What starts a "combat"? Did CoN's rage start the combat? - Why did the tumble sword start to light up before there was an exchange of blows? Because he won initiative? Or because Trolls Mortals summoned her sword?)
So you could prepare beforehand, before you're being attacked or going to attack?

Also: would be interesting to see the large angel goblin appear in the room with not enough height for Goblins to stand in.
What would happen if Trolls Mortals touches the "gnome eggs"?

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:04 am

Krulle wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:28 am [...]
Also: would be interesting to see the large angel goblin appear in the room with not enough height for Goblins to stand in.
What would happen if Trolls Mortals touches the "gnome eggs"?
No worries. The watches have moved out of the way now.

Also. +12. Hades on a bike, that is nasty. That makes me even more upset about them letting Kore go. Why did Complains even bother with the Golem at all? He should have been tumbling as soon as he could.
WearsHats wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:46 pm
Krulle wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:57 pm
But he escaped, and his sword is still lit up. So... either the light will fade shortly, or... combat hasn't ended and she's about to pay them all a visit, and maybe that's why we saw all this as a flashback.
Yes. That would be a possible payoff.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:27 am

D&D combat ends when the DM declares the fight is over. It's generally pretty obvious. Usually because everyone on one side has died, been incapacitated, surrendered, or escaped from combat range. Basically, the fight ends when one side stops fighting. There's no formal cooldown round or anything.

So one would reasonably expect that Complains having escaped outside of Gellin's range would mean that combat was over. Which either means the sword is still lit up so that we would know he'd been in a fight (and the lights will go out when the flashback is over) or that combat hasn't ended.

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:08 pm

Okay, I looked back through. The instant he returns, we see three notches lit on the sword. Which makes sense and serves a narrative purpose. Then he puts the sword away off-panel and we haven't seen it since. It went directly from Vorpal's flashback to Complains's flashback. So the bonus has probably ended by now.

► Show Spoiler