October 30 2020 - The ceremony in the nick of time

Discuss the comic here!
Arrow
Whispers Softly

October 30 2020 - The ceremony in the nick of time

Post by Arrow » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:06 pm

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-18-2020

Kudos to all who saw the hand print for what it was!

I thought it was a hint by Eli for the observant reader, but apparently it was a deliberate move by chief, a ceremony!

ps. first time I start a thread! :D

pps. I loved that "its adorable you think you have charisma bonus" :lol: The goblin angel has such lovely ways of insulting someone!

Crimson
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Crimsonak

Re: October 30 2020 - The ceremony in the nick of time

Post by Crimson » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:54 pm

I just want to say fuck you for the title of this thread but also I love you lol.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

30 OCT 2020 - The ceremony in the nick of time

Post by Krulle » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:51 am

original of flashback panels:
https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/12172010/

Man, already nearly 10 years ago...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

wordelo
Mutters to Themself

Post by wordelo » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:46 am

https://youtu.be/w8dBJfgntus?t=153

Yes it was an epic moment for complains when chief died. This is a video I made years ago that kind of animates that scene with voice and music.

That moment when he raged and his demon tail came out for the first time... squeeeeeee!

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:33 pm

Not entirely correct on why he said no, nor why the answer would be yes, but... I'll take my cookie now, no matter what anyone says. :D
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:32 pm

Well. We learned something this page. He'll clearly make it alive, so the kill lever part is not very impactful. But we know he is capable of greatness as Chief. I... can't really see how that is a pressing issue though? We've seen four of his clan-mates still alive, and none of them are really dying for lack of leadership.

I do wonder what the angel has been smoking though. That did peak my interest.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:32 pm

wordelo wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:46 am That moment when he raged and his demon tail came out for the first time... squeeeeeee!
Great job!

That moment the tail came out is epic, but the "fwoom" sounds you added made me laugh :lol:
I understand you tried to stick with the written sound effects, but those fwoom noises really don't fit the scene IMHO.

But then later the fight scene you had really great sound effects, and voicing the choking Kore was superb! I loved it!

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:44 pm

Crimson wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:54 pm I just want to say fuck you for the title of this thread but also I love you lol.
sorry! but also thank you!

jeffh4
Remains Silent

Post by jeffh4 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:22 pm

Ellipsis has been waiting almost 10 years for that reveal! Absolute torture to have to wait that long!

Kudos have been definitely been earned.

seawied
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by seawied » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:55 pm

The angel's info doesn't line up with this incident:
https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/06292012

Drardos
Remains Silent

Post by Drardos » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:36 am

Well, maybe. The previous page to that said that tellers appoint Chiefs. Chief merely 'selected', or chose I guess, Complains. I guess it kinda depends on if the teller does the whole shebang when it comes to chiefship or if they only do the actual appointing after a chief has been chosen.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:15 am

seawied wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:55 pm The angel's info doesn't line up with this incident:
This is how I interpret Chief's final act.

"You disregarded my final order, rendering my sacrifice pointless. It's kinda cool I guess. I am sorry I called you a hollow goblin. I take it back. You might even make a good Chief one day, who knows? Blurg, I am ded." - Chief.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:34 am

I'm kinda confused by the Goblinites saying this is a big reveal - wasn't this brought up earlier in this arc? Complains even raised the same objection.
https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/12032016-2

This is more a confirmation of something we already kinda knew.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:06 am

seawied wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:55 pm The angel's info doesn't line up with this incident:
It's actually a bit after that that they ask Dies if they can make him the chief to which Saves A Fox tells him not to allow them, prompting them to try to kill them.

But yeah. That must have been pretty specific moment between Chief dying and Complains' appointment to take effect. XD

"Oh, no Chief died! ... No wait, Complains been marked. Yay for new chief!"
And during those dots...
"And this blood will reveal if we can make you a chief! Ha! Seems like you don't have a chief."

Had they tried it again mere seconds later, the test would have told them that the position was filled already. XD
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:54 pm

Glemp wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:34 am I'm kinda confused by the Goblinites saying this is a big reveal - wasn't this brought up earlier in this arc? Complains even raised the same objection.

I didn't want to be the one to say it . . . but yeah, this isn't a reveal, just a confirmation of what the GAP had already suggested several pages ago.

Also, the page prior to the one linked above says that a Teller needs to perform the chiefing ceremony. So, Chief selected Complains as the new chief (calling it a ceremony seems a little strong, but it could be), but a Teller (or Goblin angel) needs to officially appoint him.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:41 pm

Velgar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:06 am
It's actually a bit after that that they ask Dies if they can make him the chief to which Saves A Fox tells him not to allow them, prompting them to try to kill them.

But yeah. That must have been pretty specific moment between Chief dying and Complains' appointment to take effect. XD

"Oh, no Chief died! ... No wait, Complains been marked. Yay for new chief!"
And during those dots...
"And this blood will reveal if we can make you a chief! Ha! Seems like you don't have a chief."

Had they tried it again mere seconds later, the test would have told them that the position was filled already. XD
I know it was months ago. But Complains and Fumbles had a little chat about the angel having the authority to make him Chief. The cryptic fall has been without a Chief for a few days.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:48 pm

ForgetsKeys wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:54 pm
Glemp wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:34 am I'm kinda confused by the Goblinites saying this is a big reveal - wasn't this brought up earlier in this arc? Complains even raised the same objection.

I didn't want to be the one to say it . . . but yeah, this isn't a reveal, just a confirmation of what the GAP had already suggested several pages ago.

Also, the page prior to the one linked above says that a Teller needs to perform the chiefing ceremony. So, Chief selected Complains as the new chief (calling it a ceremony seems a little strong, but it could be), but a Teller (or Goblin angel) needs to officially appoint him.
Yes. Ceremony sounds to me like something large and official. He might have performed a rite or even more likely, act. Unless spell was so very specific in the setting, I would have said spell. Or blessing.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:08 pm

You guys have awesome memory, I totally forgot the goblins discussed the hand print in the comic, I thought it was only mentioned in the forum.

Given, that I agree it is a confirmation, not a reveal.

Chief's intentions were unclear (was it a mark with meaning? or was it just an involuntary twitch? )

How fortunate we are to have the Angel give us the undisputed answer to this dilema!

The Angel confirmed it was definitely an intentional mark, and people who saw that as the intention of Chief deserve the kudos ;)

Also, this mark is more than "just" saying Chief thinks Complains should be next chief, it was a real ceremony which "legally" cleared his "Empty Goblin" status, making it a possibility for him to become the next chief.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:16 pm

Would have been cooler if he had confirmed it for himself though. By, despite his own doubt, rising to the occasion. If, in a time of crisis, he led a group of sick and starved, ordinary goblins, against a superiour enemy. Complains standing over the fallen enemy commander, the spray of a lethal wound would mark Complains again.

"Ordinary Cheifs are made by Tellers. It seems,legendary Cheifs, crown themselves."

That said. I think Complains is a horrible Chief. I can see him leading a charge,but marrying Duv to broker peace is probably not something he could do. Heck, I am not sure he is capable of holding a battle line or wear down an enemy with skirmishers anymore.

He is someone who's side you wanna be on in a fight. But in preparing his tribe for winter or coming up with a battle plan involving people less skilled than he?

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:00 am

Generic wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:32 pm I do wonder what the angel has been smoking though. That did peak my interest.
Angel dust, obviously.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:34 am

Generic wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:16 pm Would have been cooler if he had confirmed it for himself though.

---

That said. I think Complains is a horrible Chief.
While I agree with the first part (to me the "we'll write up your sheet clean and give you things you want, 'cose life is too short to learn to live with your 'mistakes' and whatelse" is kinda cheap), I got to give some credit to Chief-to-be.

He is rash, and quick to anger, but he is also young (I don't recall if any age-scale has been established, but I'm getting he's 'round what would be 20-25 something for humans, meaning a lot room for growth).

But he's also conciderate, caring (even sought the wisdom of his elders from the very beginning, granted for him it was just "checking on them every now and then"). He does listen when someone slaps him over the head, even gave a chance for MinMax, whom he probably still dreams of gutting...

And he definitely has showcased his ability to think outside the poorly locked treasure box. :D

I'd say he has a fair chance if he lives long enough and even on that he's proven himself capable enough despite his lower levels.

Still agreeing he should have come to this on his own instead someone from outside telling him "have you ever wondered if you were a chief inside all along and being a warrior was just a mask?" :P

AnonySimon
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by AnonySimon » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:54 am

Velgar wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:34 amHe is rash, and quick to anger, but he is also young (I don't recall if any age-scale has been established, but I'm getting he's 'round what would be 20-25 something for humans, meaning a lot room for growth).

I'd say he has a fair chance if he lives long enough and even on that he's proven himself capable enough despite his lower levels...
I mean, it has been established that goblins have a VERY short lifespan, i.e. 20 years old is venerable status for a goblin. So with that in mind, I think Complains is likely around 5-10 years old.

Ofcourse on the opposite end of the spectrum, elves can live for hundreds of years and are generally described as having the hardest time changing habits, minds, or philosophies that they have developed or honed over decades.

Nina
Whispers Softly

Post by Nina » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:17 pm

Hi everyone!

I remember a fan theory that the blood print was some sort of 'mark of chief-ness'. And thought, "Yah, right. It is just a dying person reaching out to a friend, and he is all covered in blood. Boy these guys have crazy, wild theories."

I was so, SO wrong.

From now on, you all have permission to have crazy, wild theories. You showed me.

;-D

Hugs, Nina.

AeronGrey
Remains Silent

Post by AeronGrey » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:36 pm

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was high...

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:49 am

It may be that Chief just marked a desired successor, but the chiefing ceremony would have to be done by a teller (or angel, or superior clan, ...).

Like the PotUS nominating judges and the Senate confirming them.

So, Complains of Names is no chief yet (at least not during this time in the told story).

(Drados above already said so too.)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards