Running the Monster Gauntlet: Escape (5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Running the Monster Gauntlet: Escape (5e)

Post by Dlover » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:27 am

My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:28 am

(Oh olay. I thpught miasma got closer earlier but that is fine with me.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:10 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:03 am ((Same target of it's still up after the claw?))
Separate targets. A grappled target shouldn't be able to do much until it gets ungrappled.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:37 am

((It'll still be able to attack, just can't run away.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:48 am

((6 of one, half dozen of another then. Figure there's a pretty good chance that the stinger will do for one regardless. And if the little homicidal rat is grappled, he/she will be at a disadvantage next round. If the stinger doesn't do for one: a) that will tell us that all is not as it seems, b) there's a wounded target for someone else to pick on and finish off. ))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:14 am

((Not at a mechanical disadvantage (grapple doesn't impose disadvantage on attacks unless there is a 'restrained' riding on it), but yeah that stinger packs a whallop.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:43 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:00 am Slem is able to catch four of them in his flames, only one of which is able to make any attempt at dodging, but to no avail as they are washed with flames.
Four empty skins fall smoldering to the ground like empty sacks of flour as dark mist streams out of the facial orifices of the children Slem hit. The dark mist swirls around and into the nostrils of the remaining children... they seem to grow a bit larger and more robust...

The farmer shrieks in startled surprise at everything going on, and wets himself as a reaction as now parts of the dry corn stalks start to catch flame.

Miasma the giant boar charges onto the scene alongside Gomz, eliciting yet another startled shriek from the poor farmer.

((Form isn't defective, RNG fairy just knew that Miasma was farther than 40 ft away, so would have to use their action to dash! If you'd rather, you can have stopped 20+ feet away, and be able to charge next turn.))

((Fred, I don't think had posted about moving closer, if you were by the portal, you'd only really be able to dash this turn, but would arrive on scene after using movement next turn. Sluj had been sneaking along, so can do whatever they'd like this turn.))
► Show Spoiler
I was moving along with Slem...until they met then moved to try and flank the farmer and failed.

FRED will move up to support Slem again but I leave it to the DM to decide if I have an attack left or need to dash...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:04 pm

(.sure, go for it.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:19 pm

Lurks_In_Shadows wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:48 am (( If the stinger doesn't do for one: a) that will tell us that all is not as it seems, b) there's a wounded target for someone else to pick on and finish off. ))
((Going to say the bodies turning to nothing but smoke and floating into the bodies of the remaining ones is a strong sigh something ain't right!))

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:04 pm

Double Scimitar Attack...: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13
1D6+2 = [3]+2 = 5
1D20+4 = [2]+4 = 6
1D6+2 = [2]+2 = 4

edit; Sorry that should be a 12, and a 4 since it is a +3 not a +4
and only 4 damage as it is only a plus 1...I just screwed up the bonuses...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:39 pm

FRED pops out from the corn, eliciting yet more startled shrieking from the farmer, as the red-skinned fellow slashes into one of the slightly bigger children. It giggles in response to being hit.

*teehee*

Sluj follows suit on another one, to somewhat better effect, hitting with both swings.

*teehee*

The farmer, very scared, and very uncertain at all these monsters showing up in his field, follows the instructions given to him by Slem... because at least the monsters aren't attacking him... and those kids are very creepy. He squeezes his eyes shut as he pulls the trigger on his crossbow.
The bolt arcs high into the night, and he backs up a few feet into the corn bordering the cleared area.

Gomz hisses in burbling anger at being stabbed, and clamps down on one if his tormenters, which giggles in his grasp. His tail whips forward and jabs another one, which is able to get out most of a *teehe--* before the poison does for it, the skin collapsing limp around his stinger as more inky vapor swirls out of its face and into those still remaining.

*teeheee*

The dog tucks tail and follows its master.

The creepy children, of which only eight remain, turn on you, eerily similar smiles plastered on their giggling faces as the flourish their dark blades. They've all grown a foot or so, though they otherwise appear as children.

One stabs at FRED, but the blades can't get past his armor, much to its apparent amusement.

*teeheee-
The one that Sluj faced off against stabs at him, giggling as it misses.
The one caught in Gomz's grip slams one blade through a joint in the claw, while the other skitters off.

*teehee*
A trio of children skip towards Slem, the one who obliterated four of their number with one wave of fire.

*teehee*

Dark blades flash, and the form of Underling looses cohesion and splashes to the ground, the last blade catching the oblex form of Slem!
((You may use your reaction to Glomp if you'd like, and then it's also your turn.))

Slem casts shield, two of the blows making it through, but all the rest being deflected.
The last two rotate their heads to the big scorpion, and they pile on and swing their blades.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:37 pm

<<No meat! No bones! And those things hurt! Enough of this! >>
Gomz pitches the giggler in his claw towards a fire and disengages, scuttling into reverse while sputtering his frustration.
((Taking the disengagement action. From Gomz's view, there's nothing to be gained and a lot to be lost here. ))
<<Burn the plants. They don't seem to like fire. If you can, someone grab Slem.>>
Gomz will circle around and snag some burning cornstalks, and start trying to spread the fire.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:56 pm

((Any chance Underslem could pop its shield spell? It'd give it an AC of 15 and reduce the damage taken to 7, so it would still be up with 2.))

<But we're are winning! Burning things is a good idea, but fire hurts us too!>

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:42 am

<< So what if we win? What do we gain? They drop no bones or meat. They turn into gas and the others get bigger. The fire will make sure that they don't follow us through the door. There is nothing for us here.>>

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:18 am

Underslem assesses the situation and responds,

<Okay, good points. Let's see if we can get a snack though.>

He turns to the farmer and yells,

"Run! This way! I have a plan to get away!"

It will point in the direction of the portal.

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:46 am

(How many children are left?)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:48 am

((Sure, shield it up! 8 remain.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:01 am

...yea lets just...go. Miasma will try to lead the children elsewhere, and runs into the corn (move and then held dash for when they come closer)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:02 am

Underslem will disengage and run back towards the portal.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:29 am

((Slem, give me a Deception/Persuasion check please. Miasma, are you running towards portal or at some other angle?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:35 am

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:15 am

(Miasma is not currently going twoard the portal, but rather deeper into the corn)

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:33 am

Fred will disengage and move back towards the portal....(If the children chase the damn mule...)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:40 am

Underslem backs away from the creepy kids and tries to talk the farmer into joining them, but he's pretty much given up his gourd for lost and is heading back to the alleged safety of his house.

Miasma attempts to draw them off, but having not mixed it up with any of them, none of the children are focused on Miasma...
...but one of the ones that Slem just disengaged from tracks the movement of the large swine through the corn.

((FRED, the children won't be up until after you, so if you want to disengage and move, you could do that now, but none are currently chasing the boar.))
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:53 pm

(I see one 1 in those rolls...)