Sept 12 2020 - Sorry Little One

Discuss the comic here!
redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Sept 12 2020 - Sorry Little One

Post by redfeather » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:30 pm

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comics/159 ... Page15.jpg

Interesting subversion of the expected tone. But still mostly using the expected tone.

I have a rant to go off on about said tone, but I doubt anyone here wants to hear it.

GuessesWildly
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: Sept 12 2020 - Sorry Little One

Post by GuessesWildly » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:36 pm

Knowing that our goblin friend ends up alive and well, I couldn't help but chuckle at the predicament.

TheOldWays
Remains Silent

Post by TheOldWays » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:54 pm

My guess, levitating moustache saves the day?

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:13 pm

redfeather wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:30 pm https://www.goblinscomic.com/comics/159 ... Page15.jpg

Interesting subversion of the expected tone. But still mostly using the expected tone.

I have a rant to go off on about said tone, but I doubt anyone here wants to hear it.
I would like to. Via PM if you think it's better.

Edit: Vorpal is such a giant asshole. He takes this time to tell his pals he want to change his name, but not to warn them about the angels death quizz or lulling into false sense of security. I am surprised Complains did not give him a proper beat down when he returned. "Hard to explain" my ass.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:09 am

Tarol: "I don't like goofy self-inserts in my comics." :oops:

Ellipsis: "Let me introduce to one Senor Vorpal Kickass'o." o:)

But not that it's a bad message. And it is realistic too. Going against the grain does many a times get you cuts and splinters. Rarely is the way smoothed out for you on that road. But sometimes it is well worth going that way, doing the hard thing, not taking the easy road (this applicable to more than just the current topic) and seeing it through, despite the splinters you get along the way. Just remember to treat them too, or they might fester and cause more pain than the original little stick ever did.

That being said, there are still some painfully obvious parallels that can make you groan. Viewer discretion is adviced. ;)
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

Sutremaine
Whispers Softly

Post by Sutremaine » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:52 am

Generic wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:13 pm Edit: Vorpal is such a giant asshole. He takes this time to tell his pals he want to change his name, but not to warn them about the angels death quizz or lulling into false sense of security.
He had two speech bubbles before Complains stood up.

ForgetsHisUID
Mutters to Themself

Post by ForgetsHisUID » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:22 am

It kinda makes sense. I mean, she's an angel, and loves that he's found his own voice. But, she's stuck with a job to do, and she's bound (probably by her word) to do it. She DID warn him that the right path was a dangerous one...

Agreed, though, he could have offered a better warning to the rest of the GAP. Still, it's more dramatic this way.

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:13 am

Exactly like I said it would go down. Now let's look at the future. We know that Vorpal levitates his way out of trouble and Complains attacks his way out. Thaco can easily acrobat his way out but what will Ears do?

I'm not talking about what ability will he use. As a paladin if an angel tells him he has to die then he should accept it.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 am

Hjerne wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:13 am Exactly like I said it would go down. Now let's look at the future. We know that Vorpal levitates his way out of trouble and Complains attacks his way out. Thaco can easily acrobat his way out but what will Ears do?

I'm not talking about what ability will he use. As a paladin if an angel tells him he has to die then he should accept it.
It should be specified that the hole goes down to Hell and he should take the opportunity to get down there.

GazC
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by GazC » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:35 am

I wonder if the Angels name is "Trolls Mortals"?

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Am I the only one bothered by the Angel's chimney changing size and shape? It started concave and large. Now it's small and flat.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:49 am

GazC wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:35 am I wonder if the Angels name is "Trolls Mortals"?
Yes. This. Needs be.
Generic wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:55 pm Am I the only one bothered by the Angel's chimney changing size and shape? It started concave and large. Now it's small and flat.
I think those are her ears. >:?
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:51 am

Hjerne wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:13 am Exactly like I said it would go down. Now let's look at the future. We know that Vorpal levitates his way out of trouble and Complains attacks his way out. Thaco can easily acrobat his way out but what will Ears do?

He has a responsibility to deal with the broken Axe, so he can tell the angel "I'll be happy to die, but there's something I need to do first."

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:52 am

Velgar wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:09 am Tarol: "I don't like goofy self-inserts in my comics." :oops:

Ellipsis: "Let me introduce to one Senor Vorpal Kickass'o." o:)

But not that it's a bad message. And it is realistic too. Going against the grain does many a times get you cuts and splinters. Rarely is the way smoothed out for you on that road. But sometimes it is well worth going that way, doing the hard thing, not taking the easy road (this applicable to more than just the current topic) and seeing it through, despite the splinters you get along the way. Just remember to treat them too, or they might fester and cause more pain than the original little stick ever did.

That being said, there are still some painfully obvious parallels that can make you groan. Viewer discretion is adviced. ;)
It's not obvious from the outside, but Elli has made it clear that her deadname is not to be used anymore, even to reference things that happened in the past. Same goes for pronouns. She was always a she. She just didn't know it before.

As for self-inserts: She did name a minor character after her old name and a couple of kobolds after her kids. But the comic has always been about expressing her values. See also Ears's speech about the nature of Good. Or Minmax punching Goblinslayer through a window for what he'd done to Kin.

The advice the angel gives can apply to the journey of trans acceptance, it's true. But it's pretty general advice about accepting who you are and dealing with a world that doesn't. Going to college was eye-opening for me. Living completely surrounded by geeks and nerds who reveled in that had me cutting loose in ways I'd never realized I'd been holding back. All because I was used to it being shameful and frowned upon. And I realized then that it was silly to let that hold me back, even if the people around me didn't get it or approve. Because I was happier just being myself, and, in so doing, I was helping to make it easier for others to do the same. I'm a healthier and happier person for it. The consequences and significance aren't on the same level as being trans by any means, but the principle is the same. Be true to yourself and enjoy the things that make you happy. As long as that's not hurting anyone, why not?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:13 am

Velgar wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:49 am
GazC wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:35 am I wonder if the Angels name is "Trolls Mortals"?
Yes. This. Needs be.
Generic wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:55 pm Am I the only one bothered by the Angel's chimney changing size and shape? It started concave and large. Now it's small and flat.
No. Not her ears. The stack. The pillar. The tube. The thing she is standing in.

Tombworld
Remains Silent

Post by Tombworld » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am

WearsHats wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:52 amIt's not obvious from the outside, but Elli has made it clear that her deadname is not to be used anymore, even to reference things that happened in the past. Same goes for pronouns. She was always a she. She just didn't know it before.
Angel with character sheet: "But that's wrong. Your name is Tarol. I gotta kill you now. I told you. Being yourself can be dangerous."

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:17 am

Generic wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:13 am
Velgar wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:49 am
No. Not her ears. The stack. The pillar. The tube. The thing she is standing in.
That's been rather changing in its appearance.
Depending on viewpoint, apparently.
On the current page she's standing behind a counter or similar.
On the previous page (page 14) she seems to be standing on a platform, no counter to stand behind visible (and since her legs are visible, the counter should be visible as well).
Also, on page 13, last panel, it does not seem to have an opening for "Trolls Mortals" to stand in. She just leans forward to lean on the counter, but the "chimney" does not seem to have an opening at all in that last panel, the legs just seem to come out of hard stone.
I bet our favourite Dwarf could explain that, by smelling that this is no real stone, but more an imagination.

also: first post links to image, link to site is: https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-15-2020
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

squirrelnest
Remains Silent

Post by squirrelnest » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:32 am

I have a confession to make. I'm a borderline fan. It would be fair to call me ungrateful even. I mutter to myself about pages I think should be done differently, lines I don't like, about the update schedule; despite having never donated or even pre-ordering a cool looking card game. I'm the sort of fan that honestly, you don't even need.

My confession out of the way, after years of reading Goblins I finally had to register to compliment my new favorite page. Watching Vorpal grow up has been satisfying in a way that rooting for an almost-equally-likable character that starts powerful (Saves a Fox for example) never could.

I am on pins and needles to watch Vorpal's "ascension" soon!

(That pun landed, right? Because he's probably going to float over the pit?)

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:20 pm

WearsHats wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:52 amIt's not obvious from the outside, but Elli has made it clear that her deadname is not to be used anymore, even to reference things that happened in the past. Same goes for pronouns. She was always a she. She just didn't know it before.
Preeetty strict. I have to admit...
Tombworld wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am Angel with character sheet: "But that's wrong. Your name is Tarol. I gotta kill you now. I told you. Being yourself can be dangerous."
I'm kinda with this fellow when it comes to dealing with these things. But I see where she's coming and going with it. It's far from simple thing (otherwise we, as people, would have already had figured it out). For me it's just that I don't give too much of a damn about things like sex, gender, race, whatnot. To me the more damn we give about those things, the more damned we are because of it.
Off Topic
Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery unpopular opinion following and I do apologize the hurt feelings it may cause, but makes my mind no different about it.
Just looking at how the recent BLM movements and all other wokeness connected to it, we see it being more an more important that people get to be black. That blacks are black. And that being black is absolutely important. When all along, at the very beginning, the real problem was that blacks weren't people, just like anyone else. That they were treated differently because they were black. When in actuality, they not only were people, but they were people exactly like everybody else.

But now they should be treated differently, because they're black. Things that have black associations, that are in themselves "black things", should be treated differently. And by that definition, things that aren't black, especially things that are white, that associate with "being white" should be treated differently as well. That white and black things can't go together. That things that are black, should be kept by people who are black and things that are white, should be kept by people who are white. For a white to use a black thing and for a black to use a white thing... That's now somehow wrong.

And I think that is not how it should be.

How this connects to the topic of today? Well, as said, I do understand a bit how Ellipsis and people like her feel. I too had a bit of an eyeopening moment back half a lifetime ago, through tears of a friend I should have never forced out of her. Not my proudest moment and I've tried to make it up to her ever since. I have an inkling of waking up to something you should not be. Not as bad as others, but enough that I haven't really wanted much for myself since I was 18. Still an annoying person, heck, I've written this A4 for next to no provocation. XD

But I've just seen that if you are worlds apart with something, you simply should not be too strict about bridging that cap. You should not give in either and stop believing in what you want, what you need, what you know to be true. But you have to bend a little too. For when two that are strong try to reach each other and neither wants to bend, then one of them has to break or they will never find a common ground. And neither of those last ones are a good thing.
Still!
WearsHats wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:52 amBe true to yourself and enjoy the things that make you happy. As long as that's not hurting anyone, why not?
This. This is very true.
Generic wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:13 am No. Not her ears. The stack. The pillar. The tube. The thing she is standing in.
Oh! Sorry. My bad. :lol:

That's probably just some plane weirdness. ;)

Ps. I simply feel like I'm opening a whole can of whoopass with all the snakes included, but I'm just too proud/stupid/evil/somethingorother to erase all that. I swear, I genuinely don't aim to hurt anyone, but I harbor no illusions that my words have the potential to do just that. For that I'm deeply regretful. Though I love that there's an "off-topic" mode in this. XD

Nina
Whispers Softly

Post by Nina » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi Everyone!
We KNOW Vorpal gets out, so there is no real suspense. The interesting thing is Elly set up the order of the story so we know this. She easily could have had us follow Vorpal into this world, see him blow the question and be hanging on the edge of our seats... will he die?!?

But that didn't happen. We know he is safe, so this is is much more humourous and light hearted. ("Rewrite character sheet, go up a level." It is important, and profitable, to have a nice & tidy, and well organized, character sheet!!!)

I think that the point is to have the 'edge of your seat type tension' saved for places where it matters, and to keep the normal tone of Goblins kinda fun and goofy. And I think that is a gutsy move. 99% of authors would do it the obvious way and have us wonder "will he die", when really, we are almost certain that he won't. As I said, saving the tension for when it matters.

A post above in this thread reminded me that it has been a long, long time since we saw Saves-A-Fox, Dies, and company. Hope we visit them soonish.

Hugs, Nina!

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:18 pm

She's something of an ass. She said "character sheet". His character sheet says just that, NOT Fumbles.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:21 pm

This isn't the place to discuss BLM. That goes in Controversy. Where I will be happy to explain to you why giving Black people equality in a culture where White is the default does not look like what you think it does.

Elli doesn't have a character sheet, but her birth certificate does list her dead name and the wrong gender. That's why she's working on officially updating those documents. All the same, the point of this page is that what's written on the document can be wrong, and the world will punish you for that, but it's still important to stand up for who you are.

Respecting people for who they are is a fundamental rule here. Elli is a woman. She's still trying to deal with the decades of trauma from having everyone (most of all herself) misgender her. So, yes. There is a strict rule that you don't do that any more. It's not much to ask on your part to just use the right name and gender, but it makes a huge difference for her and for our other trans community members.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:14 am

The Trolls Mortals name is my headcanon now, thanks.
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:38 am

I'm starting to see why Complains broke one of her horns.

Here's a thought: since Young & Beautiful chose her name, can't Vorpal do the same now that he's the teller? If he just says, "Nope, as the clan's fortune teller, I officially declare that my name is Senor Vorpal Kickass'o," then he's no longer incorrect.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:12 am

WearsHats wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:21 pm There is a strict rule that you don't do that any more. It's not much to ask on your part to just use the right name and gender, but it makes a huge difference for her and for our other trans community members.
Completely understandable. As mentioned, we don't necessarily agree in some, many or maybe even any subjects, but that should never stop us from working for common good.

We do not need to see eye to eye, to stand shoulder to shoulder. And if all you need for that is a simple kindness, then it is a price worth paying.